Wonder Woman Gets a Father [Spoilers]

• 158 results
Posted by G-Man (30656 posts) - - Show Bio

There's going to be some big changes coming Wonder Woman's way. DC continues to make big announcements with New York Comic-Con coming this week. That's not stopping the early announcements from appearing.

In today's New York Post, Wonder Woman's world is about to change. In fact, the title of the story says it all. Be warned, there will be a spoiler for November's issue #3.

The solicit information of issue #3 mentions Hippolyta, queen of the Amazons, has kept a secret from her daughter her whole life. When Wonder Woman finds out, her life will "shatter like brittle clay." What is this secret?

You've been warned. Writer Brian Azzarello told the NY Post, "She's going to learn she's not who she was told she was." If you're familiar with Wonder Woman's origin, she was made from clay and given life. Now Wonder Woman is getting a daddy.

Who could possibly be the father of Wonder Woman? The secret's out. Wonder Woman's father will be none other than

himself. What the heck do you get him for Father's Day?

Wonder Woman #3 is on sale November. We'll see if there are any more announcements coming this week.

== TEASER ==

DC's The Source also revealed the Cliff Chiang's cover to Wonder Woman #5.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by _jackbauer (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Woah

#2 Edited by roboticjesus (71 posts) - - Show Bio

Predictable. After reading they were giving her a father, this was my first guess.

#3 Posted by SpiritGoat (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't he like everyones dad

#4 Posted by G-Man (30656 posts) - - Show Bio

I know people might complain that I'm spoiling things in the title but the NY Post reveals WHO it is in their title. This is a pretty big change for WW.

Staff Online
#5 Edited by nick_clark (129 posts) - - Show Bio

[spoiler]This makes to WW in not just a amazon with divine powers but a amazon demigoddess! (O_o)[/spoiler]

#6 Posted by Daveyo520 (2447 posts) - - Show Bio

It had to be him.

#7 Edited by mesosteros (145 posts) - - Show Bio

god no...so Cassie and Diana are now half-sisters... Zeus you sly dog you!

#8 Edited by Dernman (14755 posts) - - Show Bio

So now she is Half God now. That must make it odd with Hera wanting her dead and all. Hera is one of three gods she has been known to worship.

Hippolyta was also the lover of Hercules now Diana's brother. Talk about keeping it the family.

Wait. Does she get her powers from winning the competition and being titled Wonder Woman or from being the daughter of Zeus?

I wonder if she will get any new powers.

#9 Posted by StarKiller809 (1237 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I really liked the old origin of Wonder Woman where she was made from clay, however if this is done EXTREMELY well. I might enjoy it... so much for this being a soft reboot for Wonder Woman.

#10 Posted by Dernman (14755 posts) - - Show Bio

@mesosteros said:

god no...so Cassie and Diana are now half-sisters... Zeus you sly dog you!

I thought it was said in the new 52 Cassie wasn't his daughter anymore

#11 Posted by ilight (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel wonder girl/wonder woman interaction coming soon.

#12 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't this take away from Wonder Woman's character? 
She was special because she needed of no man (or male god) even when it came to being created/born. I don't want to sound like an advocate of Paridise Island's feminism but now it seems like adding a father makes her less extroardinary.
#13 Posted by Aeroman (495 posts) - - Show Bio

that was obvious

#14 Posted by Dernman (14755 posts) - - Show Bio

@sora_thekey: Actually wasn't it Hippolyta appealing to the gods that got her her baby.

#15 Posted by sora_thekey (8153 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman
Yes, it was to Hera. Making it clearer that there was no need for a male influence in the creation of Diana. Even Hera is the femenist of the Greek Gods!
#16 Posted by mesosteros (145 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dernman: You are correct. I keep forgetting the stupid reboot.

#17 Posted by Hector (446 posts) - - Show Bio

That wasn't that BIG of a surprise.

#18 Posted by SC (12709 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll adopt a wait and see how this is executed approach. If its good, its good, etc if its bad, its bad. I like how Azzarello has been so far... so I can trust. Its other writers I worry about when it comes to such creative changes. I am a bit weary there, as far as this new angle. 

#19 Posted by Outside_85 (8145 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
@Dernman: Yes, it was to Hera. Making it clearer that there was no need for a male influence in the creation of Diana. Even Hera is the femenist of the Greek Gods!
Correct me if I am wrong but wasnt Hera the odd one out when it first came to creating the amazons? If I remember correctly it was Aphrodite, Athena, Demeter, Artemis and Hestia who created the amazons when the other gods didn't want in on it (perfectly happy with the world as it was at the time). Later on when Diana was made it was the same 5 and Hermes who provided the blessings needed?

As for the revalation...could be worse really...like Ares (mythology wise he's Hippolyta's father) or Herakles (I refuse to call him Hercules when the setting is Greek! :) ) And unless Lobdell decides otherwise, sisterhood gets a new meaning for Diana and Cassandra.
#20 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked her as an animated clay baby. Maybe Zeus can just be part of that process

#21 Posted by Delete me (66 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
@Dernman: Yes, it was to Hera. Making it clearer that there was no need for a male influence in the creation of Diana. Even Hera is the femenist of the Greek Gods!

Hera has no part in the creation of the amazons it was Athena,Artemis,Demeter,Aphrodite and Hestia in fact all the Gods are against it that includes the jealous Hera.
#22 Posted by GundamHeavyarms (701 posts) - - Show Bio

I know she was molded out of clay and all, but is her having a dad that big a deal? Its still her, she just has a mother and a father, as long as she doesnt act like an angsty teenage girl about it things should be fine, besides, the greek gods arent exactly the best parents anyway.

#23 Posted by Dernman (14755 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how her having a father takes away from her being a amazonian feminist.

All the others have fathers. Long dead sure but still.

#24 Posted by Red Rum (357 posts) - - Show Bio

In the DC Animated Universe, it was hinted that WW's father was Hades.

#25 Posted by elayem98 (458 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it would be ares. that would be cool

#26 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Ah, incest, this is why I love Greek mythology so much.

#27 Posted by Delete me (66 posts) - - Show Bio
@GundamHeavyarms said:

I know she was molded out of clay and all, but is her having a dad that big a deal? Its still her, she just has a mother and a father, as long as she doesnt act like an angsty teenage girl about it things should be fine, besides, the greek gods arent exactly the best parents anyway.

It would ruin her background zeus was against the creation of the amazons and now he becomes her father thats BS.
#28 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mbecks14 said:

I liked her as an animated clay baby. Maybe Zeus can just be part of that process

THIS^^^^ lol Zeus has enough freakin children XD Now Wonder Woman Seems more like Hercules fused with Xena, since her dad is zeus

#29 Posted by thaliagrace14 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

i figured it would be him

#30 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

@GundamHeavyarms said:

I agree with this.

#31 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

Where is the incest? I don't see it.

#32 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1374 posts) - - Show Bio

@Red Rum said:

In the DC Animated Universe, it was hinted that WW's father was Hades.

* THIS REASON.

@mesosteros said:

lol.... :)

@Dernman said:

So now she is Half God now. That must make it odd with Hera wanting her dead and all. Hera is one of three gods she has been known to worship.

Hippolyta was also the lover of Hercules now Diana's brother. Talk about keeping it the family.

Wait. Does she get her powers from winning the competition and being titled Wonder Woman or from being the daughter of Zeus?

I wonder if she will get any new powers.

for some reason* i thought her father would be hades but they havta explain this whole thing cuz wat happened to the whole made out of clay n breathed life into her n stuff.... but this does explain why hera is so pissed with diana,hahaha condsiderin hera is the god of marriage n her husband just does everyone else...i swear if there was a greek gods soap opera,it would make millions (this idea has been patented so if i find any attempt by anyone to make such a soap, i will sue u n then let u have all the rights to the show :D lol) can't wait to see how this unfolds!! GO AZZARELLO!

P.S- the competition thing really seemed like a path that showed her earning her abilities n i hope thats not done away with.

#33 Posted by Dernman (14755 posts) - - Show Bio

@Delete me said:

@GundamHeavyarms said:

It would ruin her background zeus was against the creation of the amazons and now he becomes her father thats BS.

I don't see it ruining her back ground a all. To be it's a better explanation on how she got her powers then winning them in a tournament or being granted them for some minor reason by the gods.

Also whether he was against the creation of the Amazon or not do you really think that's going to make him keep it in his robes from what we know about him?

#34 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicMan24 said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

basically everyone in Greek mythology is a product of incest, it's part of the idea of all gods coming from other gods...but before Wonder Woman was created in the same way man was and thus not one of the gods...but now she is one of the gods and thus her father and great-grandfather are the same guy (Zeus)

#35 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

On a serious note though, this completely lessens WW but that doesn't mean it can't make for an interesting story anyways, I'm reading this comic only out of excitement for the story not because I have any love for Wonder Woman.

#36 Posted by Delete me (66 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman said:

@Delete me said:

@GundamHeavyarms said:

I don't see it ruining her back ground a all. To be it's a better explanation on how she got her powers then winning them in a tournament or being granted them for some minor reason by the gods.

Also whether he was against the creation of the Amazon or not do you really think that's going to make him keep it in his robes from what we know about him?

So WW is a demigod now that sucks.
#37 Posted by Dernman (14755 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still not seeing how this lessons her in any way.

In fact I think it adds to her.

#38 Edited by Delete me (66 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman
It lessens her becuase she was created with no man that what makes her special now shes just one of the bastard children of zeus
#39 Posted by Dernman (14755 posts) - - Show Bio

@Delete me said:

@Dernman said:

@Delete me said:

@GundamHeavyarms said:

So WW is a demigod now that sucks.

I like it. It makes more sense to me.

#40 Posted by shroudofsorrow (3159 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey! I had the exact same idea! Figures DC ends up beating me to the punch.

(Of course, to be fair, my choice of father was someone different...)

#41 Posted by CodeSaint (160 posts) - - Show Bio

@mesosteros said:

That farmer in the first issue is also pregnant of him.xD

#42 Posted by Dernman (14755 posts) - - Show Bio

@Delete me said:

@Dernman: It lessens her becuase she was created with no man that what makes her special now shes just one of the bastard childrens of zeus

He isn't man he is a god.

#43 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

@aztek_the_lost said:

@ComicMan24 said:

@aztek_the_lost said:

basically everyone in Greek mythology is a product of incest, it's part of the idea of all gods coming from other gods...but before Wonder Woman was created in the same way man was and thus not one of the gods...but now she is one of the gods and thus her father and great-grandfather are the same guy (Zeus)

Trust me I know my share of greek mythology, I am Greek after all :P And yeah I agree that there is a lot of incest in the gods but is Hippolyta still Ares's daughter here? I though she was the reincarnation of the first cavewoman ever murdered (at least before the reboot anyway) and related to Ares in any way.

But anyway I don't think that it really affects WW in any way or lessens her, I mean if the stories are ok, I have no problem with it.

#44 Posted by Dernman (14755 posts) - - Show Bio

@Delete me said:

@Dernman: It lessens her becuase she was created with no man that what makes her special now shes just one of the bastard children of zeus

Actually the last origin was this.

"She was born as the resurrected soul of an unborn infant killed by an abusive husband in what appears to be paleolithic times."

She did have a father at one time.

#45 Edited by Delete me (66 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman
 I just dont like it but Im gonna read the it first and being a child of zeus does not make diana special anymore.
#46 Posted by Dernman (14755 posts) - - Show Bio

@Delete me said:

@Dernman: I just dont like it but Im gonna read the it first and being a child of zeus does not make diana special anymore.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

#47 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

In other news, Wonder Woman will now be played by Kevin Sorbo.

#48 Posted by Delete me (66 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman said:

@Delete me said:

@Dernman: I just dont like it but Im gonna read the it first and being a child of zeus does not make diana special anymore.

We will have to agree to disagree then.

I just hope that they dont gave her some daddy issues that would totally ruin her.
#49 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

In other news, Wonder Woman will now be played by Kevin Sorbo.

lol It is true that there are some similarities with that show.

#50 Posted by The Stegman (23148 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah, i kinda saw that coming, he IS the man whore of the gods after all

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.