Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

WONDER WOMAN #42 Preview

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dshipp17

Now this is more like it. We see Diana in her private life (e.g. she attends some type of club at least weekly) and how kind she was to a homeless person; I love those sandals; he got himself a nice hand full. I hope the rest of the issue is as good and it does not go downhill from here (e.g. by diving too much into more Greek Mythology). This issue was like a mix of Messner-Loebs and Greg Rucka.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

You would be cool if the writer and/or the artist stopped sexualize Wonder Woman, it doesnt make it her being a better characther even if she beated the douchebag and probably taught him lesson in the end.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By dondave

@vitalius said:

You would be cool if the writer and/or the artist stopped sexualize Wonder Woman, it doesnt make it her being a better characther even if she beated the douchebag and probably taught him lesson in the end.

So Wonder Woman in your opinion isn't allowed to wear a short dress? Really?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: I wasnt talking about the dress. But this run, people loves put Wonder Woman in sexualize poses specially butt shots even when she fightning. And the dress actually covers more than her last costume (not counting footwear).

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

its still the finches so its gone suck

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why did you crop out Wonder Woman's judo throw on that douchebag, were we supposed to think she enjoyed that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: "he got himself a nice hand full." probably what they wanted us to think

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dshipp17

@brunnhilde said:

Why did you crop out Wonder Woman's judo throw on that douchebag, were we supposed to think she enjoyed that?

But, didn't you like it? Just having fun. If only I were the writer or, at least, a consultant. Love those shoes.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: "he got himself a nice hand full." probably what they wanted us to think

Gail Simone tweeted that she got a lot of requests to put Wonder Woman in situations of complete submission and mind-control where she's helpless and basically being raped, which totally explains dshipp's fixation with Dr. Psycho.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She thinks she's Ronda Rousey now lol. I personally don't feel this scene was oversexualized. Just a man hitting on her and she wasn't having it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius said:

@justthatkid: Showing skin doesnt mean being sexualized.

Just stop. You're beyond reaching, you're sounding silly.

And yeah, whoever said this issue would suck because it's the Finches was right. What homeless persons speaks in such fake and cliched way? "milady"? Really? It's like they're not even trying.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: It´s is true being naked doesnt mean you are sexualized unless the person or that characther are poses that are sexualize, in fact a person or a characther can be sexualized if he/she/it wearing lot of clothes or clothes covering the intered body. The problem with N52 Starfire was online because she wearing bikini as costume but also because in several panels her boobs and her butt it would be showcase as her main feature even she was doing impossible poses.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

While I think her decking of the repeated offender Orion was perfectly fine (since he had 2 warnings), I don't think it was needed for her to toss this guy around, lifting him off the ground would probably have done it.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece: So she body-slammed the guy. She's just coming off as having anger management issues, Wonder Woman needs to sort herself out

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Archizooom

@justthatkid: The way Wonder Woman handled that sleazebag was incredibly disproportionate though. If a man body-slammed a woman just because she grabbed his arse, they would throw him in jail. If this is how they're gonna have Wonder Woman deal with these situations, I'd rather she didn't deal with them at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: Yeah, what she did was going by nice in the situation. She could of just broke his arm and fracture his ribcage if she wanted to.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: The way Wonder Woman handled that sleazebag was incredibly disproportionate though. If a man body-slammed a woman just because she grabbed his arse, they would throw him in jail. If this is how they're gonna have Wonder Woman deal with these situations, I'd rather she didn't deal with them at all.

Out of curiosity what would you have her do in the situation?

Personally I think it's another example of extremely poor writing ... setting up the scene in a totally unrealistic way simply to show her kick a dude's ass for being a pig. Could have been a much more subtle scene where he said something piggish and she used her words to put him in his place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: I dont think that N52 had to deal with issue dealing with women´s issues so far. Sexualizing a characther doesnt mean she would in underwear or short characthers. You can sexualize a characther with full body suit alike Catwoman or Black Cat and i was talking about boobs and butts shots which has been a regular thing with this run.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: If your talking to me I honestly have no issue with the scene sure it could of been made in a situation where she uses words over a flex of strength, but the scene wasn't made in that way and I have no issue with how its being delivered. Almost any scene could be made better in a comic it's just whether the scene could be dealt with or not and I don't get the disapproval for this.

@vitalius: Catwoman and Black cat wear tight spandex suits that's different from what Diana is wearing.

The question was directed to @brunnhilde, but I see that when I quoted her post you were also replied to :)

I don't know if I "disapprove" of the scene so much as simply think it's stupid. What purpose does it serve? Why did it require physical violence or physical harassment in the form of a butt-grope? I suppose it's just too "on the nose" for me to find it interesting.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: It was exemple even thought they dont use how to use a zipper.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Wont judge that scene until i read the issue but probably the scene of bar will probably useless to the story unless they brought that issue later on story or that unnamed guy reappears and something more important to the plot.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know between this scene, the one with Orion and Hal calling 'dibs' on her in J.L, it just feels like the writers just want to show Diana is being objectified or sexually harassed without actually being thoughtful, sensitive or mature about it. She either ignores it or she ends the matter with violence. If you're not going to do anything meaningful with topics like this, then don't include them in your stories.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Reminds me of all Zack Snyder movies

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: Between doing nothing and throwing him on the floor with a loud 'WHAM', there are a good many ways in which she could've dealt with this man. Or we could've just done without this scene, the Finches and their bland, ham-fisted rubbish.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I wouldn't go all kung fu panda like Wonder Woman, I think I'd push him away, tell him to back off and pray he'd just go away. If not, I'd punch him where it counts and run. But I feel bad for Finch, she just took this one-in-a-life-time opportunity bestowed upon her by the powers-that-be, it's their fault.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: Between doing nothing and throwing him on the floor with a loud 'WHAM', there are a good many ways in which she could've dealt with this man. Or we could've just done without this scene, the Finches and their bland, ham-fisted rubbish.

This is how I feel ... she could have used her words or Finch could have just not included it as it served zero purpose. Would have been much better if the dude had been a fanboy and was totally respectful to her from the beginning. "OMG are you WW??? I love you!!!" She could then have been gracious and danced with him, showing that women can in fact earn a man's respect just by being who they are.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dshipp17

@csg_cl said:
    @brunnhilde said:

This is how I feel ... she could have used her words or Finch could have just not included it as it served zero purpose. Would have been much better if the dude had been a fanboy and was totally respectful to her from the beginning. "OMG are you WW??? I love you!!!" She could then have been gracious and danced with him, showing that women can in fact earn a man's respect just by being who they are.

I disagree; that scene was the best scene in a Wonder Woman comic in quite some time and it served the purpose of generating some interest in the comic again; that scene was very creative. Your alternative is not a good suggested correction at all; were trying to generate excitement not continue to spew out bland wasted page place for fear of offending an audience that's basically been allowed to intrude into comics and control the direction in such a way that the original audience is no longer interested or barely so. Looks like they may have heard comments like this and sunk the rest of the issue; because of this scene, I actually purchased the comic after a while, but than got let down by the rest of the issue. Did the rest of the issue serve a great purpose for you?

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @brunnhilde said:

I disagree; that scene was the best scene in a Wonder Woman comic in quite some time and it served the purpose of generating some interest in the comic again; that scene was very creative. Your alternative is not a good suggested correction at all; were trying to generate excitement not continue to spew out bland wasted page place for fear of offending an audience that's basically been allowed to intrude into comics and control the direction in such a way that the original audience is no longer interested or barely so. Looks like they may have heard comments like this and sunk the rest of the issue; because of this scene, I actually purchased the comic after a while, but than got let down by the rest of the issue. Did the rest of the issue serve a great purpose for you?

who said anything about it "offending an audience" I just don't think WW would handle the situation like the Finch story line went. I don't know what you are talking about since the issue itself only went on sale this morning. I actually think it's the best issue the Finch's have produced (not saying a ton). The club scene has zero relevance to the story and could have been cut/replaced with any other filler story to get the point across without resorting to such on the nose storytelling.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry, that scene was so unnecessary and poorly done. It only served to make Diana look worse than the dude she body slammed. That's the thing, Meredith has no understanding of subtlety or nuance. She just bangs out anything and thinks it's going to fly because she's writing a comic book.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
    @dshipp17 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @brunnhilde said:

who said anything about it "offending an audience" I just don't think WW would handle the situation like the Finch story line went. I don't know what you are talking about since the issue itself only went on sale this morning. I actually think it's the best issue the Finch's have produced (not saying a ton). The club scene has zero relevance to the story and could have been cut/replaced with any other filler story to get the point across without resorting to such on the nose storytelling.

The story should start revolving around that scene; the story is bland but that scene was exciting; that was kinda my point, but saying it in a less blunt manner; in other wards, it's the story that can be cut and replaced. However, that's my taste, but you and others may have a taste for the story; for a comic book audience, it's bland; too focused on continuing the last writer's heavy focus on Greek Mythology which has been way wore out.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @dshipp17 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @brunnhilde said:

The story should start revolving around that scene; the story is bland but that scene was exciting; that was kinda my point, but saying it in a less blunt manner; in other wards, it's the story that can be cut and replaced. However, that's my taste, but you and others may have a taste for the story; for a comic book audience, it's bland; too focused on continuing the last writer's heavy focus on Greek Mythology which has been way wore out.

I agree that the story was bland ... the whole Finch run has been ... but that scene wasn't interesting or exciting to me in any way. She threw a j@ck@ss across a dance floor and had some inane conversation with her friend. Not much to it really.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

@csg_cl said:
    @brunnhilde said:

Creative? It's the same generic "woman gets hit on by a man in a somewhat sleazy manner", and to soothe the insecurities of the audience, proceeds to physically attack him to show off how tough she is. This is an incredibly common and lazy trope.

Also:

(we're) trying to generate excitement not continue to spew out bland wasted page place for fear of offending an audience that's basically been allowed to intrude into comics and control the direction in such a way that the original audience is no longer interested or barely so.

Feminists?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.