Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman 39 Discussion spoiler allowed

• 57 results
    Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I love it when Diana scream "I AM THE GOW"

Diana almost kill this strange looking monster supe stop her and batman get all butthurt about it.

Hippolyta comes back as a ghost and talk to Diana about her feelings and why she felling so much rage.

Diana then goes visit her brothers and see if there alright. The males look like there leaving the island cause they don't feel safe anymore Diana promise to fix the problem.

Diana see the problem and it Donna causing it by talking smack about her and promising the Amazon to getting rid of makes Diana doesn't like that and the two start fighting

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Where do you live that you can read the digital comic so early?

Also this sounds dull and dumb again, as per usual of Meredith's writing credentials.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I live in L.A digitally dc release there comic 12:00 am Wednesday pre order them and you can get them 30 min earlier than that.

it decent for me I'm loving the art and story is alright

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy: Huh you must be a late sleeper or work a night job if you can do that I'm guessing.

You mean the art where Diana looks different on almost every page she's drawn? Or the story that sets back Azzarello's world building rather than developing it?

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: work at night

Yup I like art much better than cliff but that isn't hard since cliff art is bland imo. Not gonna argue about the story since like I said it alright

toplel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toplel

What a load of rubbish. Since when did Diana become such a whiny little b*tch? And to top it off, Mrs. Finch couldn't resist having Diana take a potshot at Batman and his rules and like the rest of her writing, it failed miserably.

Having said that, there are some interesting ideas that could and should be done, but under a better pen. The male Amazon's made an appearance, which was good, but I fear it'll be a mess soon enough.

John's Diana was great, though. Great art and banter. I wasn't expecting to have a decent Diana to look forward to for quite some time.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Saren

And the Finchiest face of the month goes to........

No Caption Provided

Honestly, though, I thought this issue was a bit of a step-up for Finch. At least Diana visibly resembled an adult human female throughout the book, even if she had a few wonderfully simian faces occasionally. That Hippolyta was beautiful, and the final panel was pretty reminiscent of the classic TDKR aesthetic.

No Caption Provided

The writing, on the other hand......"Oh Bruce, if you'd only killed the Joker, so many people wouldn't have died!" is undoubtedly one of the most original thoughts ever expressed in comics. Bravo, Meredith, I don't know how you thought that one up. Di, you realize you're dating a guy who lets guys who commit genocide on a galactic scale live, right?

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

And the Finchiest face of the month goes to........

No Caption Provided

Honestly, though, I thought this issue was a bit of a step-up for Finch. At least Diana visibly resembled an adult human female throughout the book, even if she had a few wonderfully simian faces occasionally. That Hippolyta was beautiful, and the final panel was pretty reminiscent of the classic TDKR aesthetic.

No Caption Provided

The writing, on the other hand......"Oh Bruce, if you'd only killed the Joker, so many people wouldn't have died!" is undoubtedly one of the most original thoughts ever expressed in comics. Bravo, Meredith, I don't know how you thought that one up. Di, you realize you're dating a guy who lets guys who commit genocide on a galactic scale live, right?

It's not as if we haven't had writers take shots at Diana either using other characters (Geoff Johns comes to mind). And I'd say Bruce and Clark are written far better in this book than Diana is.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Are the Justice League still in it?

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the smell of Wonder Woman hate in the morning.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@sodamyat said:

I love the smell of Wonder Woman hate in the morning.

More like hate of actrocius writing, this book certainly had plenty of that.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FoamBorn

eh I feel like this issue, and the previous two, didn't really move the story forward so it feels like a monumental waste. I don't object to the idea of Wonder Woman struggling a little bit to juggle her new responsibilities but unfortunately she's just running round like a headless chicken, whinging, crying, mouthing off at people, she's an emotional wreck.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated the scene with "When you have hair, Then you can talk".........................WTF? Wonder Woman fights till the death with monsters and gods and when bugs come she complains about hair? I can see Batgirl or even heck Supergirl saying this but Wonder Woman? And then she starts crying about "the people" and keep whining about things jeez if you want her to act different because of her becoming GOW then make her act like how War acted in Brian Azzarello run. Please take this lady off of Wonder Woman.

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Wonder Woman aggressive and a tad violent.....but the pacing and characterization of everything is just bad.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying hard to ride with Meredith, but man is she making it difficult. It shouldn't take 3 issues for the face-off between Diana and Donna. There's absolutely no reason for it. NOBODY cares about that effing Justice League story about the bugs and I'm sick of seeing Bats and Supes in every issue. They may as well be Lennox and Orion taking up space.

As for David's ugly Diana I blame all you haters. He's bending over backwards to find a face for her that you won't complain about and failing. I much preferred the look he started with. I'll take what some said looked like a fourteen year old, over the butterface we had in some panels any day.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Frinchs art is god awful, I've never seen it look even decent.

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was okay, but Wonder Woman was 10/10 in the Justice League book this week.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kidstandout

dropped

next creative team please?

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout: I'm sticking around for Donna but yeah need to get rid of this team and put back the old one or actually find a good team.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout: I'm sticking around for Donna but yeah need to get rid of this team and put back the old one or actually find a good team.

Well Bad News, the Finches are staying with us after Convergence unless sales suddenly plummet steeply. Surprisingly, they've sold pretty well.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying hard to ride with Meredith, but man is she making it difficult. It shouldn't take 3 issues for the face-off between Diana and Donna. There's absolutely no reason for it. NOBODY cares about that effing Justice League story about the bugs and I'm sick of seeing Bats and Supes in every issue. They may as well be Lennox and Orion taking up space.

As for David's ugly Diana I blame all you haters. He's bending over backwards to find a face for her that you won't complain about and failing. I much preferred the look he started with. I'll take what some said looked like a fourteen year old, over the butterface we had in some panels any day.

If Finch can't draw an adult, good looking woman he should've not been given the job to begin with. Just saying. I can't design cars but I don't work for Mercedes.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@scorpio_cassadine said:

If Finch can't draw an adult, good looking woman he should've not been given the job to begin with. Just saying. I can't design cars but I don't work for Mercedes.

He drew that and people nitpicked it to death. Anyway what do you know about good looking women? Your avatar is Tomasi's man faced Wondy with the oil slick hair.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: The problem appears to be that Meredith is basing Diana's personality on the one Johns wrote in the first 6 JL issues, where she was 18. Had Azzarello not given us the last 3 years of his version, I could without a problem accept that 18 year old Diana grew into Meredith's Diana... which is the exact opposite of what I would have wanted to see.

@foamborn said:

@scorpio_cassadine said:

He drew that and people nitpicked it to death. Anyway what do you know about good looking women? Your avatar is Tomasi's man faced Wondy with the oil slick hair.

And your's is one of a dude lighting some weed with a WW shirt painted onto him.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: The problem appears to be that Meredith is basing Diana's personality on the one Johns wrote in the first 6 JL issues, where she was 18. Had Azzarello not given us the last 3 years of his version, I could without a problem accept that 18 year old Diana grew into Meredith's Diana... which is the exact opposite of what I would have wanted to see.

@scorpio_cassadine said:

@foamborn said:

@scorpio_cassadine said:

And your's is one of a dude lighting some weed with a WW shirt painted onto him.

That's Wiz Khalifa and he's actually wearing that shirt. It's so cool and Wondercentric I had to make it my avi.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Better then lat issue in which nothing happened. As for this issue, it's very down the middle, with the art pushing it into more positive then negative. Next issue should be interesting.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'd be surprised to see how many people think this year's Sports Illustrated swimsuit models look like men, particularly the girl from the Blurred Lines video, Ben Affleck's lover in Gone Girl. It's all pretty weird to me. Those hand picked models haven't seen solid food in a year, they're wearing 17 layers of makeup on their face, their hair took 4 hours and a staff of 5 to look pretty

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was just playing, Diana looked pretty good in S/WW 16, better than she has since Tony S. Daniel left. She was still standing in Circe's shadow though, her dimpled smile and flashing eyes were amazing. So was her delightfully bitchy personality, I loved it.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

This is the best issue of Finch's Wonder Woman I've read so far, which isn't saying much, but the arrow for the series is trending upward ever so slightly. The narrative is still all over the place as I wish that Meredith would just focus on the conflict between Wonder Woman and the Amazons and just toss the JL crap aside because if I want to read a story where Diana interacts with the JL, I'd read Justice League, if I wanted to read a story where Diana interacts with Superman, I'd read Superman/Wonder Woman. I actually do want to see where the story regarding Diana and the Amazons and Donna Troy goes. The artwork is still inconsistent, sometimes David Finch does good work in the issue but other times he struggles with facial expressions and Wonder Woman STILL looks doll-like.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was good

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: Well what do you expect honestly? Meredith had little to no experience writing comics beforehand and her first big gig is writing the premier female superheroine in comics. This is just a business ploy by DC to court Finch into staying there for longer, by giving his wife the reins of a character which is clearly too deep and complex for her to understand properly. Hence why we have a watered down, simpering and incompetent take on Wonder Woman as a hero, leader and icon. A real shame, Azzarello had at least grown Diana throughout his series even if parts of it were dislikeable.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By Claymore1998

Interesting

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Bezza

I am hoping the new creation team wont be here for too long. My local comic book store owner tells me that most of his WW regulars have dropped the book. Having said that I did a bit of research and January 2015 sales of 39,000 were well up on January 2014 under the acclaimed Azzarello run, of 32,000. Hmm, how do you work that out? Perhaps the Finches are drawing new fans after all, its just that these new fans don't come on Comic Vine!!

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

I am hoping the new creation team wont be here for too long. My local comic book store owner tells me that most of his WW regulars have dropped the book. Having said that I did a bit of research and January 2015 sales of 39,000 were well up on January 2014 under the acclaimed Azzarello run, of 32,000. Hmm, how do you work that out? Perhaps the Finches are drawing new fans after all, its just that these new fans don't come on Comic Vine!!

It's because Superman and Batman are in all of them. Finch also typically draws a splash page or a double page spread or both with Superman or Batman that serves no storytelling purpose but that he can sell for a hefty sum of money so that's been the Finches' way of doing things.

anibal336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horrendous writing, good art when not drawing action.

A Wonder Woman who says "awesome" and is bothered by bugs/insects. Get this woman off this book NOW!!! She does not know what she is doing.

The action scene(s) was pathetically drawn. This is Wonder Woman and it looked like any person wielding a sword. A punch from Wonder Woman should be able to pulverize mountains and at least sound like it should. The lack of continuity in Wonder Woman's powers is insulting. Does she even have super speed or "shoot stuff" from her bracelets? The sword(s) are supposed to come from her bracelets and uniquely created for her by Hephaestus and yet she now seems to carry around a run of the mill amazon sword. These swords should only be out in the most dire of circumstances and this version of Wonder Woman seems to have no other offensive ability other than blindly thrashing around with a sword.

Where are all the abilities that come from being "God of War?" All Wonder Woman seems to have gotten out of the mantle is a growing blood thirst which is oh so cliche. Been there and done that in just about every comic book series written since the dawn of time.

The writing, plotting, characterization, and super-heroing in this run is thus far utter rubbish.

Hyppolyta looked great though.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

The current team is still 'fresh' so sales haven't stabilized after the takeover boost. That said, there are people who likes the current direction.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
    deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Not to mention the ploy of "look, a woman is writing WW, are we progressive now?" Unfortunately, that worked on a lot of people.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue was a bit like a roller coaster to me. I think the art has gotten better but I think the Donna and Diana meeting up was a little too off centre. How does the Queen of the Amazons walk amongst the Amazons without there being a reaction in the crowd way before getting close enough to the person on the pulpit?

Also, same goes with the male Amazons. The Finches are better off depicting the Amazons as less "one mind set" and giving us a story of a realistic civil war type deal on Paradise Island. I'd prefer more of a storyline with them, and not one where it's a line drawn between men/women. They are family, after all.

As for Wonder Woman complaining about bugs getting in her hair; how does that take away anything from her? It's true, bugs are a freaking pain when you have long hair. Her comments back at Batman were warranted as well. Remind her that there's a higher standard to be maintained as a Justice Leaguer, just don't get holierthanthou about it. Again, not the biggest of complaints, I'm sure Bats can deal.

This issue's content was kind of gruesome, to be honest.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:
    1. This issue was a bit like a roller coaster to me. I think the art has gotten better but I think the Donna and Diana meeting up was a little too off centre. How does the Queen of the Amazons walk amongst the Amazons without there being a reaction in the crowd way before getting close enough to the person on the pulpit?
    2. As for Wonder Woman complaining about bugs getting in her hair; how does that take away anything from her? It's true, bugs are a freaking pain when you have long hair.

1. It's a good question. But perhaps we should be asking whenever Donna, as a golem animated by a witch-goddess, have some kind of special oratory power, meaning she can 'hypnotize' masses to go along with whatever she is saying. (Come to think of it... this is the exact same power Cassandra had before Lennox tore her throat out.)
    2. About the bugs; considering Diana has already been depicted as being knee-deep in gore once or twice and been unfased by it, you'd imagine she wouldn't be terribly bothered around getting things in her hair until the fight is over (or in this case till she is above ground since she could have taken 5 steps and caught another bug).
    Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Likely. I read that Meredith will reveal why characters have behaved in the way they have in the Wonder Woman annual so I'm thinking witchcraft, which imo should've been hinted at. As it is, it's just coming across as bad characterization.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Agent_Z

@ms-lola said:

This issue was a bit like a roller coaster to me. I think the art has gotten better but I think the Donna and Diana meeting up was a little too off centre. How does the Queen of the Amazons walk amongst the Amazons without there being a reaction in the crowd way before getting close enough to the person on the pulpit?

Also, same goes with the male Amazons. The Finches are better off depicting the Amazons as less "one mind set" and giving us a story of a realistic civil war type deal on Paradise Island. I'd prefer more of a storyline with them, and not one where it's a line drawn between men/women. They are family, after all.

As for Wonder Woman complaining about bugs getting in her hair; how does that take away anything from her? It's true, bugs are a freaking pain when you have long hair. Her comments back at Batman were warranted as well. Remind her that there's a higher standard to be maintained as a Justice Leaguer, just don't get holierthanthou about it. Again, not the biggest of complaints, I'm sure Bats can deal.

This issue's content was kind of gruesome, to be honest.

1) Apart from Dessa and Hessia have we seen any Amazons even consider giving the male Amazons a chance? And given what Dernoe's rants have been a bout I'd say it's still about a line being drawn between men and women.

2) That conversation Diana and Bruce had has been talked about numerous times in superhero comics. Hell they had that exact same debate before and after she killed Max Lord. The Finches didn't do or say anything new with that scene.

3) Outside_85 already explained why the bugs in hair thing was dumb.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Saint_Sophie

The plot was.. okay for me. On one hand, I enjoy Diana finally conflicting with her Goddess of War status. Her title does go against what she stands for. On the other hand, that face she made while fighting that creature made my sides hurt from laughing. I also didn't really like her interactions with the other League members. I agree with the user above, save that for the Justice League comics. I kinda enjoyed that Azz's Diana was somewhat isolated from the rest of the JL/DC earth in general. It gave us more of a feel for the gods, the Amazons and WW.

Glad to see Hippolyta again though. I don't get the fact that somehow being a statue would somehow bond you more with the island but eh.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FoamBorn

The plot was.. okay for me. On one hand, I enjoy Diana finally conflicting with her Goddess of War status. Her title does go against what she stands for. On the other hand, that face she made while fighting that creature made my sides hurt from laughing. I also didn't really like her interactions with the other League members. I agree with the user above, save that for the Justice League comics. I kinda enjoyed that Azz's Diana was somewhat isolated from the rest of the JL/DC earth in general. It gave us more of a feel for the gods, the Amazons and WW.

Glad to see Hippolyta again though. I don't get the fact that somehow being a statue would somehow bond you more with the island but eh.

It melted and bits of her soul must've been infused into the Island. And the title of Goddess of War doesn't fly in the face of what Wonder Womans stands for. She's been an Amazon Warrior since her inception, she's quite intimate with War actually.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The plot was.. okay for me. On one hand, I enjoy Diana finally conflicting with her Goddess of War status. Her title does go against what she stands for.

Diana stands for peace, only she has never been shy to use force to achieve it.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Diana fights for peace. War can mean different things. Diana can be waging war against all evil. She can BE the war against evil. After all, who better to wage war against darkness than war herself.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@foamborn: But wasn't Diana's mission to help the world by bringing peace and equality to man's world? Of course, her Amazon upbringing does mean she won't be afraid to use force in order to achieve it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.