Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

WONDER WOMAN #29 PREVIEW

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..looking good!!

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tigerkaya

I see not Wonder Woman is going from female Hercules to now a female Kratos knock off. Such a disappointment.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Outside_85
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tigerkaya: bahaha wrong character FB is kratos knock off he want to kill all the gods WW doesnt want the title of god of war

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@tigerkaya: Like Wonder Woman is getting treated anywhere else better in the New 52. At least she has a character and personality here.

I won't check this preview out to avoid spoilers but judging by the reactions, it sounds really good! :D

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: at last, a reasonable opinion.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArchiZoom

@darknightspideyfanboy: I hope she takes up the mantle of War God, that should be an interesting inner conflict I think Wonder Woman is a little bit too nauseatingly perfect, she needs more fault in my opinion

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: i think she will the question well be if she well still have the title of god of war when the new writer comes along cause i would be so piss if the 1st issue or arc that she just loses it like that.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy: She'll probably lose it before the end of this run which is a shame though being the God of War she'd have to take responsibility for all the ongoing conflicts in the world where thousands of innocent civilians die including children

WhineHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: Agreed. I think Wonder Woman as the God of War would be some juicy conflict. In fact, it seems to highlight the very paradox of Diana's character.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: i wish that doesn't happen but i get this odd feeling you going to be right and so many story possibility that could happen with WW being the god of war *sigh* all well.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: I hope not it would be as bad as Batman deciding he needs to be more like the Punisher. Plus if you never liked Wonder Woman before you would be better off reading an indie title.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Wonder Woman is a little bit too nauseatingly perfect, she needs more fault in my opinion

I find one of the shining points of the Wonder Woman series is that she's not perfect, nauseatingly or otherwise. Her relationship with her mother isn't without it's dysfunctional aspects. Her choice to attack Hephaestus in an attempt to free the male Amazons before she understood the situation was not without folly. Leaving Hera and Zola alone together was an odd choice. Crushing Orion's balls. Calling strife a bitch. Killing War to subdue the First Born was certainly short of perfection.

While I'm not a great fan of the pace and limited development of Wonder Woman in this series, the one thing that I would not say about her is that she's perfect. And that's what I really like about Azzarello's interpretation. No matter what she faces, there's a person in there, not just an infallible Wonder Woman.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArchiZoom

@super-wonder: All the new 52 versions of Wonder Woman are imperfect but with all the wrong imperfections, off putting ones. Johns' is a barbarian, Tom Taylor's is a manipulative bitch, Azzarello's is puerile and naive but those qualities are not part of Wonder Woman's lore yet, she's not supposed to be like that. She needs a dilemma, a burden or a secret, a breach in that perfect exterior she has, in my opinion, like a little squeeze of lemon in a sweet dessert.

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: I really like Johns' take at all, not only is it barbarian, it's unoriginal.

Taylor's version is forgivable, to me, it's another world and another take. . . not that I've read a lot of Injustice.

While Azz's interpretation might have those qualities, he is writing a character who is about 23 years of age. The grandeur of her situation may involve some growing pains as she wades through her journey. I find Azz's Wonder Woman to be a strong character and a little less naive than she's given credit for.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darknightspideyfanboy: @dshipp17: Or, as Apollo slips away from the ruin of Olympus, he returns Hera's powers to her in hopes that she can deal with her First Born.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: He's dead, I think Azzarello said he blew himself up so Apollo's probably gone.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Outside_85

@archizoom: No, he said when asked if Apollo was dead; "He sure looks like it." That's not definitive of anything, especially in comics.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ArchiZoom

@super-wonder: Possibly, she's 23 and hasn't lived in the Men's world long enough maybe. She's still discovering the evils and machinations of this world. In Themyscira the amazons are like a big family, they trust each other so Diana grew up trusting people. Still I wish she were a bit more perceptive and self-possessed.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85:

Nrama: But Apollo made it clear that he was sacrificing himself in order to blow up Olympus, right?

Azzarello: To take out the First Born. I think his intentions are kind of clear, you know? He's not going to let the First Born take over Olympus, so he destroyed it.

Nrama: "Over my dead body."

Azzarello: Yeah.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: I no way confirming he is actually dead. Only that he was willing and capable of destroying Olympus in order to deny the First Born his birthright. It may be the last we have seen of him in Azzarello's run, maybe not, theres been plenty of other writers who's had a character killed only to bring them back later on (Dan Slott with Spiderman, for instance. Morrison with Magneto).

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ArchiZoom

@outside_85: yes I meant that Apollo is probably done for in this run but sure he might come back in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.