Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Wonder Woman #23 cover

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Maybe Ares has secret plans of his own.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By gokuwarrior

@lilben42 said:
    No Caption Provided

Maybe Ares has secret plans of his own.

let's see if wonder woman does something relevant this time and not other fight where the other characters help her.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@lilben42: if issue 24 cover anything to go buy i think he want a replacement

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have this questions, why Hephaestus looks like ogre, why Ares looks like some granpa, why Hades looks like small child?

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The strands of hair on Ares' beard is thick as spaghetti.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So,wonder woman become War of God?

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: It's because in greek mythology, the gods children were monsters sometimes so I guess Azarello wanted to expand on that. Ares looks like Azzarello.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lilben42
    bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42 said:

@bigcimmerian: It's because in greek mythology, the gods children were monsters sometimes so I guess Azarello wanted to expand on that. Ares looks like Azzarello.

If you look into ancient greek statues of their gods, you can see that they looked like normal humans, ripped and fit, but still humans.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
    deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: Probably artistic expression. My guess is that Azzarello/Chiang wanted them to look different and incorporate different personality traits in the way they look.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42 said:

If you look into ancient greek statues of their gods, you can see that they looked like normal humans, ripped and fit, but still humans.

This is true, but they also had a tendency to change shape at will (usually in the interests of having sex with someone), so I assume they could take any form they choose - as we've seen when Strife made herself huge on Themyscira.

Personally I think the redesigns of the Greek Pantheon have been the best parts of the New 52 run - the designs are all really original and yet immediately recognizable in most cases.

To offer an answer to @bigcimmerian's question more directly, it's hard to say exactly what Azzarello/Chiang had in mind, but here are my interpretations:

1. On the one hand Hades is the most uncompromising of Gods, wanting to keep all of his kingdom under control at all times, like a petulant child, but he is also innocent in the sense that he has little understanding of the emotions and complexities of the living. The wax covering his eyes represents the blindness of death - it comes for everyone regardless of who they are.
    2. I took Ares' appearance to be ironic - that the world has so much war in it that the god of war is aged and withered from all the work he's had to do.
    3. Hephaestus is supposed to be lame (in the literal sense that he is physically handicapped) and unattractive - hence his wife, Aphrodite, is always so quick to cheat on him. Chiang seems to have taken that to an extreme, making him look like an ogre to contrast him with Aphrodite, who always appears naked (and slightly off panel, as if her beauty is too great for the artist capture) since she is the goddess of love.
    lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theOVOXO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: Ares represents what War is today, an old and unwanted idea that was once celebrated in the past(hence his youthful appearance in issue zero). Ares is just tired of being the god of War and has gone into self loathing.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmessmer: you forgot poiseidos

Um, he's a big fish because, you know, he's the god of the ocean.

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@theovoxo: great explanation. I think you're right. Ares is just tired. War is different and less "glorious" today.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder woman become Gods of War

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.