Wonder Boy

#1 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Why isn't there a Wonder Boy? It wouldn't be hard um Aries had a bastard son with an Amazon and Wonder Woman trained him BOOM Wonder Boy give him a star spangled gladiater outfit and he would be good to go. Why do Superman and Batman get female counterparts and Wonder Woman can't have a male one?

#2 Edited by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be a great concept and idea actually, but It's a female dominated legacy and Wonder Girl is not really considered a counterpart but more like an extension or a student to Diana. So really I don't think there can be a Wonder Boy.

Well, if it's any consolation, Marvel has a Wonder Man...

#3 Posted by DEGRAAF (7869 posts) - - Show Bio

also i thought they were trying to turn Achilles in to the male counter part of Wonder Woman but it kind of failed

#4 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (10913 posts) - - Show Bio

I think having a Wonder boy or Wonder man (if Marvel hasn't Copyrighted it) would be a really cool concept considering that Amazonia is 100% female. It would give a good back story and revolutionize the island.

#5 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you all for posting :)

@RogueOracle- Wonder Man kinda went evil lol, but with Batgirl and Supergirl I just thought it made no since and with the new 52 showing a very diffrent take on Greek mythology and Diana's backstory it could totally work.

: @ArturoCalaKayVee: I agree and Diana would especially connect with a character who is bound to be outcasted, I never really thought her relationships with the Wondergirls was very strong at least not like Batman and Batgirl or Superman and Supergirl.

@DEGRAAF: I the idea still has potential especially on a team ad Batgirl and Supergirl and some other young heroes new team :)

#6 Posted by cbishop (6951 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@cbishop: Holy crap that existed?! Haha ok well I still think my idea has merit but that is discouraging

#8 Posted by cbishop (6951 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: It's a surprise for sure that there hasn't been a more permanent Wonder Boy, but with the scary versions they came up with for the reverse gender worlds, I don't know if I want to see it or not. :}

#9 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32192 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it kind of defeats the idea of Wonder Woman

#10 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: Why? If they invent one it can't magically undo the decades of Wonder Woman history and besides with to female Superman's and thre Batwomen out there one Wonder Boy isn't asking that much.

@cbishop: Well, Like the image above shows it would be tricky but I think they would have to really go for the greek angle instead of the lasso/patriot thing.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32192 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991: Wonder Woman being the representative of female empowerment, that she can stand side by side with not just men but gods and aliens but then you give her a male side kick and you don't see what the problem is with that?
#12 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: I see no problem because he IS a side kick. I think giving her nothing but female side kicks is the opposite of empowering. I don't get what your trying to say really. Do you mean she would lose her spot to a male character? Could you clarify a bit more please

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32192 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991 said:

@spiderbat87: I see no problem because he IS a side kick. I think giving her nothing but female side kicks is the opposite of empowering. I don't get what your trying to say really. Do you mean she would lose her spot to a male character? Could you clarify a bit more please

Comic book company's haven't even met the bare minimum of good female characters yet and adding a male counter part to the most prominent female character is reductive when they should be trying to create more successful female characters 
#14 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87: Well I suppose that is a valid point, but I didn't want him to have his own book like Batgirl or Supergirl "really seeing your point now" maybe a teen titan or somethin. Dc has really upped their game with female solo's though only a few are orginal and not based off a male counter part. DC needs to work on more orginal women, as for Marvel they just need to use theirs better.

#15 Posted by BloodTalon (421 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a wonder boy is a great idea and if you read WW#7 that could be the "in" for this potential character.

#16 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@BloodTalon: Add that this entire story is about a Zeus love child I think WW will def be that babies god mother.

#17 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991: Well it might be a possibility now since in the DCnU there a male sons of amazons.
#18 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: Its what inspired this whole thread really lol. While I admit to prefering Marvel I have been enjoying the WW book thus far

#19 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991 said:

@Primmaster64: Its what inspired this whole thread really lol. While I admit to prefering Marvel I have been enjoying the WW book thus far

I don't see why not really? Supes and Bats have batgirl an super girl. Why can't WW have a Wonder Boy?
#20 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: I'm all for it hell they could form a new young justice ^^

#21 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

If there was a Wonder Boy what would we call Robin? The slightly less dark than Batman knight? The squire of shadows? The boy that people wonder have questions about?

2 of those 3 are terrible monickers I prefer "Robin Boy Wonder" call WW sidekick something else

#22 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel that 'Wonderlad' works too.

#23 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shotgun: American Gladiator or Kid Amazon I think would work too

@BlackArmor: That could make the entire situation funny in my opinion, but as Shotgun stated Wonderlad works too as do my other names American Gladiator or Kid Amazon

#24 Edited by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

If they have a Wonder Boy they better do him good. As a female, I know there would be backlash if he was a complete douche. Wonder Woman has been more a symbol for female empowerment than a character for female empowerment. Hell, I don't know if most women know her origin (pre-reboot) and that she's a pagan. It's just she's not known for her counterparts or sidekicks as well as batman and such.

Anyways, back on topic, I think Wonder Boy would be a cool concept, allowing the males back onto the island would be a cool step forward. Though I've always loved the idea of the Amazons's sisterhood, if done tastefully and in engaging manner, I'm all for a Wonder Boy:)

#25 Posted by Onemoreposter (3867 posts) - - Show Bio

@RogueOracle said:

If they have a Wonder Boy they better do him good. As a female, I know there would be backlash if he was a complete douche. Wonder Woman has been more a symbol for female empowerment than a character for female empowerment. Hell, I don't know if most women know her origin (pre-reboot) and that she's a pagan. All of this is cool, but many don't know Diana, they just know Wonder Woman.

Anyways, back on topic, I think Wonder Boy would be a cool concept, allowing the males back onto the island would be a cool step forward. Though I've always loved the idea of the Amazons's sisterhood, if done tastefully and in engaging manner, I'm all for a Wonder Boy:)

WONDER WOMAN IS A PAGAN?!?! MADE FROM CLAY YOU SAY!?!?! BLASPHEMY!!!

#26 Posted by Shotgun (900 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you guys think of personality though? If DC did introduce a Kid Amazon/American Gladiator/Wonderboy/Wonderlad, then would it be better if he was less serious than Wonder Woman? Something to make him more relate-able or fun?

#27 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Shotgun: I say he should be light hearted pure, slightly ditzzy and oblivious. He should have problems relating to other men "being he knows nothing about them". I think relatable is hard unless they target youths who didn't have fathers or don't see them often and make that a defining aspect about him. I thin not catching on to sexual advances or jokes would make him funny. Def needs to be less angry than Diana, but still damaged goods "Psyke wise"

@RogueOracle: The story of a Demi god raised by amazons who will most likely never accept him and the only paternal figure in his life being a warrior princess could make an awesome character but your right the idea of paradise island is sacred Wonder Woman ground that is a big part of DC's history. They would have to be carful with the exact method they use to bring him in.

#28 Posted by Tunsieon (316 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see him being a son of Ares that Ares didn't care for and abandoned. The child grew up a little and went on a murder spree to try to attract the attention of his father- only to be stopped by WW. Pitying and the boy and fearing what he may become, she trains him and teaches him the Amazonian ways.

#29 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

Bringing it back up for the other Wonder Boy post so

BUMP

#30 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991: Well how would you like him to be introduce?
#31 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: Being the demi god son of Zeus and a half brother of WW would be awesome since she kinda disowned the amazons she could take him under her wing and train him and since gods age into adulthood faster it would be thesible for him to grow rather fast. I think they could let Zola raise him but when he gets older "I dunno how long DC would wanna wait" she ask WW to train him to use his powers to fight for justice and the Wonder Boy or whatver name they choose would be born. Thats how I would want it done anyway

#32 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blood1991: Maybe we should recommend it to DC.
#33 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: Do you know a way to contact them?

#34 Edited by krspaceT (1462 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Um....wouldn't the Wonder Woman writer have a myspace account, with links to Facebook and Twitter

http://www.myspace.com/brianazzarello

Should work......Em, anyone here have accounts there?

#35 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@krspaceT: I will have to make one Thank you. :D I swear I will be one proud fan if a Wonder Boy is made lol.

#36 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@krspaceT said:

@Blood1991: Um....wouldn't the Wonder Woman writer have a myspace account, with links to Facebook and Twitter

http://www.myspace.com/brianazzarello

Should work......Em, anyone here have accounts there?

If you click on the blog icon he has a FB too

#37 Edited by wonderW (131 posts) - - Show Bio

You can call The Olympian better known as Achilles Warkiller a wonder woman male counter.

He was made by Zeus to be better then Wonder Woman with all the basic powers and abilities she has. he is friends with Wonder Woman now, he would be my choice for a Wonder man but i like Warkiller better for his name.

#38 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@wonderW: Revamp him in the new 52 then and make him a more notable character. BTW he really doesn't seem very WW themed just greek mythology themed.

#39 Edited by wonderW (131 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991: Not a revamp, just have him slowly adopted the WW theme and style in his own way. like how power girl does not look like superman but is trying to look like her own character.

I hear Warkiller is confirmed to be in a future issue of justice league international. at one time he did wear a cheep looking wonder man outfit, it worked as a male WW.

#40 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@wonderW: fasinating he seems a bit old to be a side kick lol, but If DC makes him a more notabe character and were to throw him into a situation with Batgirl and Supergirl I would except him as Wonder Boy

#41 Posted by wonderW (131 posts) - - Show Bio

No he should be more like power girl and huntress, a spin-off counter sex character. i think he is more badass then WW, but have WW tech him the ways of the world. that would be cool to me, she could be his teacher and help guide him into becoming a hero and not just a warrior. what do you think?

then he could be a love interest to power girl, like the whole superman and wonder woman thing. or a battle of the sex they both are short tempered. Batgirl and Supergirl can stay with Donna Troy or wonder girl. we already have an WW clone donna troy made by the titans of myth and we have a demigod kid of Zeus wonder girl.

sorry but the hole wonder boy takes away from the amazons. but warkiller works a little better, he was made to take WW place by Zeus and was made the king of the Amazons and now is a friend to them but is still the king of the olympian army. he is just like WW made by a divine birth, gifted by a gods(Zeus). perfect for a counter sex character.

#42 Posted by Agent9149 (2890 posts) - - Show Bio

He could wonder woman's gay best friend :O how can you have a strong female charcter with a gbf behind her...all strong women have gbf behind them

#43 Posted by Primmaster64 (21137 posts) - - Show Bio
@wonderW: I thought JLI was cancelled.
#44 Posted by wonderW (131 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: he said to pop up before its cancelled. it will end at #12.

#45 Posted by Wonderboy52 (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Ever since that Wonder Woman issue came out where we find out that a few of the amazons refused to give up their sons, I've seen a lot of debate about whether or not Dc will create a Wonderboy. Personally I've wanted DC to do this ever since I got into Wonder Woman. If you really think about it, not many (if any) women in DC have male progeny's. Why? Who knows, but DC has tried to create male spin offs of Wonder Woman and failed miserably. I'm referring to Achilles and Hercules who was once called Wonder Man as a joke by the Cheetah.

It would be an absolute dream come true if Dc decided to make a Wonderboy. I love the idea so much that I've written quite a bit of fanfics featuring my own version of Wonderboy. Now this might just be out of my own personal taste but I always assumed that when DC was ready to introduce their first homosexual teen hero, it would be Wonderboy, not Bunker. To me it makes perfect sense being the progeny of Wonder Woman but then again it would be perfectly fine for him to be straight too.

I also suspect that Cassie is one of the children from Zeus liaison's with human's if DC decides to keep her powers godly in nature(especially since the pregnant woman Wonder Woman is protecting in her comics is blonde). Why not introduce another male child from these liaisons that grows into the hero Wonderboy. DC has the opportunity, I just hope they take it.

#46 Edited by krspaceT (1462 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wonderboy52: or any other god really, Poseidon, Apollo, Ares, even some female gods could also be such a boy's parent.

Aside for the possibility of being a son of an amazon, of course. I myself do not believe that for a character like Wonder Woman, whose entire existence has been stalked by anti gay activists, to make the male under her male gay. That would send some....interesting messages about single parents....though I can't exactly say I'd blame a son of an amazon for not liking woman.

The poor kid could just have Caligynephobia, or fear of Woman. But no matter what, the new run has made a possible Wonder Boy more likely than ever.....

#47 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Time Wonder Woman got males as supporting characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.