Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Women's Liberation

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The women's liberation movement was a loose alliance of women and feminist thinking that emerged in the United States and other developed countries during the late 1960s and persisted throughout the 1970s. I believe Wonder Woman at some point in her timeline was involved in this. She should be fighting for the social struggle which aims to eliminate forms of oppression based on gender and to gain for women equal economic and social status and rights to derermine their own lives as are enjoyed by men. The liberation of women suppose to be one of the aspects of her being a feminist icon. Shall she still be fighting for the oppression and imprisonment of women all the over the world in this modern age?

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

she should but youd have to get a writer that actually cared enough about it AND be a good writer

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not in comic books.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: YES in comics! She could be helping those women getting tortured and killed in third world countries.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: Comics are for entertainment and fun, not promoting any social agenda or anything like that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece: If that is what you meant, then yes that is good. But that's not the only thing she should be doing.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Women should just be a hero...

You know to everyone...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: i dont think you can put something like that on such a broad label like comics. comics are about art and dialogue. its a type of medium to tell stories in the same way novels and movies and short stories are. Comics as a whole should talk about any topic under the sun because it can do that and in a way other story mediums cant and i dont think we should be limiting the subject matter that should be explored. not to mention plenty of stories already exist that deal with heavy stuff like trauma or politics or just mature topics that arent fun or entertaining but they are thought provoking/well written/inspiring/etc. (some of which are WW stories like The Hiketeia). like id understand if you just dont like reading it but to say comics should be about x is sorta just not true

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JBBuc

Honestly, I just don't think that is a good use of Wonder Woman. Extraordinary characters, in my opinion, should not be used for for street level, political or real world problems and stories. An arc where Huntress or Dove takes down a sex trafficking ring could be a great read. I could even see Starfire being used in that vein as a way of progressing her up to the level of hero that she should be rather than having this staggeringly powerful female character constantly playing side-kick to non-powered guys. Let feminist stories go to characters that need to rise to a more prominent level. Characters like Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel should be global icons taking on the most powerful villains and battling for the highest stakes.

In my opinion.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The women's liberation movement was a loose alliance of women and feminist thinking that emerged in the United States and other developed countries during the late 1960s and persisted throughout the 1970s. I believe Wonder Woman at some point in her timeline was involved in this. She should be fighting for the social struggle which aims to eliminate forms of oppression based on gender and to gain for women equal economic and social status and rights to derermine their own lives as are enjoyed by men. The liberation of women suppose to be one of the aspects of her being a feminist icon. Shall she still be fighting for the oppression and imprisonment of women all the over the world in this modern age?

I think there is a difference between being a feminist icon and being a crusader. I'd say inherently she wouldn't really understand the politics behind US Feminism, and might even be a little annoyed by some of the mentalities (i.e. the exclusionary groups). Personally I believe Diana would fight for equality for all at all times and if she did have a political message it would be much broader than just feminism.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.