Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Will Wonder Woman fans ever be happy?

• 71 results
    Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@scorpio_cassadine said:

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy said:

@humanrocket said:

Not a WW only exposure I have of the characther is from JL and JLU cartoons. But just give me a good origins and well writen story to her solo and no lame CGI and great acting from the actress playing her and ill be good. I can't speak for the WW fanboys/girls.

I would recommend for you to watch the Wonder Woman 2009 animated movie. I think you'll be satisfied.

I wasn't, I didn't like that movie. WW wasn't very powerful, she couldn't fly and it needlessly changed aspects of her story.

Addressing your points:

• Wonder Woman wasn't powerful because this was the origin story in which we see Diana become Wonder Woman. Obviously she is not at that stage yet.
    • She couldn't fly initially in the comics either. Plus it renders the jet useless and looks cheesy.
    • What aspects of her story were changed that you didn't like? Her being a child of Ares? Because for the most part it was based on the Wonder Woman: Gods and Mortals arc.

• No it wasn't "obvious", she won the title of Wonder Woman, she should have displayed all of Wonder Woman's powers. It was like making a Superman dvd and leaving out his heat vision.
    • The jet was unexplained and unnecessary anyway, it would have been simpler to go with flying and far less cheesy.
    • Ares wasn't Diana's father in "Wonder Woman: Gods and Mortals".

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:

I almost totally agree, but even Chiang's artwork seems mediocre to me.

The only thing i wish he did different is that he colored his work with traditional media or with digital tools that mimic them. The sfumatos don't go well with his pencil work. But for once Wonder Woman doesn't look like a big boobed bimbo and a stripper and I really appreciate that.

Different strokes I guess, to me she looks too masculine and I HATE Chiang's pointy boots and fake cartoony style. Tony S. Daniels is the best Wonder Woman artist of the New 52 - by leaps and bounds. He made Paradise Island look beautiful in Superman/Wonder Woman #5, Chiang's "Paradise" looks like a dirty, underdeveloped, third world country.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I was happy once. It was a long time ago.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout said:

@whinehaus said:

@archizoom: It has nothing to do with having more or less to complain about. That's purely subjective and entirely opined. Granted, denouncers will always be more vocal, but that doesn't mean they're the majority. With regards to the OP, I'm a happy WW fan, and I will be even if things don't go the way I want. The only thing that makes me unhappy is getting berated by other WW fans for enjoying the current run.

this, said vocal minoritys tend to suffer from napolean complex. its easier to ignore them

Genius. "Ignore the minorities because their opinions don't conform to those of the ruling majority"...

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom: when those minorities seem to hate everything for the most baseless reasons and scream heresey when they don't get their way then yeah, ignoring them makes perfect sense. problem?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#56  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@kidstandout said:

@whinehaus said:

@archizoom: It has nothing to do with having more or less to complain about. That's purely subjective and entirely opined. Granted, denouncers will always be more vocal, but that doesn't mean they're the majority. With regards to the OP, I'm a happy WW fan, and I will be even if things don't go the way I want. The only thing that makes me unhappy is getting berated by other WW fans for enjoying the current run.

this, said vocal minoritys tend to suffer from napolean complex. its easier to ignore them

Genius. "Ignore the minorities because their opinions don't conform to those of the ruling majority"...

the good thing about opinions is that all of them can be ignored, that's what makes them opinions.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By ArchiZoom

Different strokes I guess, to me she looks too masculine and I HATE Chiang's pointy boots and fake cartoony style. Tony S. Daniels is the best Wonder Woman artist of the New 52 - by leaps and bounds. He made Paradise Island look beautiful in Superman/Wonder Woman #5, Chiang's "Paradise" looks like a dirty, underdeveloped, third world country.

Well in my opinion Wonder Woman should always be a tad "masculine". I like my Wonder Woman big, muscular, powerful and fearless. All attributes typically ascribed to men. She flies in the face of old male/female clichés and shows that women are stronger than we raise them to believe they are. That's why i love Chiangs depiction of Wonder Woman. She looks like a proper female warrior, an amazon but her face is still stunning. Tony's version is gloomy, her eyes always seems so sad and frankly she looks like a stripper. She looks vulnerable. I don't see wonder woman as having a very sexy silhouette just because big strong women are seen as masculine hence unattractive and that's exactly what she is. I also kind of think Tony's drawings have too much unnecessary noise.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom said:

@kidstandout said:

@whinehaus said:

the good thing about opinions is that all of them can be ignored, that's what makes them opinions.

They can be, doesn't mean they should, not because they conflict with yours. That to me sounds like a very stagnant mentality.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine said:

Well in my opinion Wonder Woman should always be a tad "masculine". I like my Wonder Woman big, muscular, powerful and fearless. All attributes typically ascribed to men. She flies in the face of old male/female clichés and shows that women are stronger than we raise them to believe they are. That's why i love Chiangs depiction of Wonder Woman. She looks like a proper female warrior, an amazon but her face is still stunning. Tony's version is gloomy, her eyes always seems so sad and frankly she looks like a stripper. She looks vulnerable. I don't see wonder woman as having a very sexy silhouette just because big strong women are seen as masculine hence unattractive and that's exactly what she is. I also kind of think Tony's drawings have too much unnecessary noise.

I see Wonder Woman as a celebration of the feminine. The whole point is to show that those attributes are as valuable as traditionally masculine representations of strength. That's why the Amazons wore make-up and heels, and Wonder Woman was designed to be the 1940's idea of sexy, yet tremendously strong as well.

No Caption Provided

It's what Marston intended.

No Caption Provided

And I'm of a mind that says a woman can look like someone's idea of a "stripper" and still be worthy of respect.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: Marston was born in the 19th century, died in the 40's so I wouldn't cling to his notion of a strong female. Originally, if Wonder Woman got involved with a man she'd lose her powers and submit to him If he bound her bracelets like he would a slave and despite being an exceptionally strong lady, next to "wonder men she was no wonder woman". She was the Justice League's secretary.

Makeup and heels are subtle forms of violence society inflicts upon women, I can't imagine a tribe of powerful lady-warriors doing that to themselves. The notion that women should suffer to be beautiful is so deep-seated in society that it seems congenital but it's a social construct and the Amazons don't abide by the customs of the Patriarch's world, they loathe them.

Without trying to be the "pestilent minority that should be ignored", if you don't mind me saying, I see Wonder Woman as almost the diametral opposite of the description you made. For me she's not the embodiment of the notions we associate with women, notions that are embedded in culture, but the paragon of Women. Also i bear no prejudice against strippers but i don't see why Wonder Woman should look like one. Strippers undress for a living. It's like styling the President of the united states to look like a mexican drug cartel kingpin. It's just not the right look for Mr. President. Chiang is the only one that truly depicts wonder woman as a badass amazon.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She doesn't look like a stripper, that's something you came up with, because you obviously don't like women to appear sexualized. You've admitted that the more manly a woman looks, the more powerful she looks, and that's just not true.

I've never seen Beyonce look manly and she always looks powerful.

Loading Video...

^That's a woman with full hair and make-up, as well as heels. She's wearing less than Wonder Woman traditionally wears, she's on a stage dancing seductively and opposed to looking like a stripper, she looks like she could kick anyone's ass.

"Makeup and heels are subtle forms of violence society inflicts upon women, I can't imagine a tribe of powerful lady-warriors doing that to themselves."

I can easily imagine it...

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

"The notion that women should suffer to be beautiful is so deep-seated in society that it seems congenital but it's a social construct and the Amazons don't abide by the customs of the Patriarch's world, they loathe them."

Who said anything about suffering? The Golden Age Amazons didn't wear make-up and heels because they were trying to please men. It was an island full of women that were pleasing themselves. They were so comfortable with themselves in fact, they went into battle wearing collared sports bras and chiffon.

No Caption Provided

Women can be feminine AND formidable, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I think you're doing women a disservice by implying they have to be like men (and fully clothed to your requirements) in order to be respectable.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: You missed my point completely and its possibly my fault, I might've not expressed myself well enough. I knew tribal face painting would come up eventually. It's not enhancing makeup though. It's a cultural, religious or sometimes military custom, men, women, children alike wear it. I'm talking about women wearing makeup to enhance the way they look in a way that men are not compelled to do.

Also i didn't mean to say the more women look like men the stronger they seem but that women who are strong seem masculine consequently because strength is an attribute culturally ascribed to men. It's an illusion if you will.

Also Queen Elizabeth I was not a warrior, she was a queen. She sat on her ass wielding her god given authority. Amazons are warriors, they inevitably develop muscle. Again, we associate strength with men so although muscular women are safely female, they are culturally seen as masculine, like Serena Jameka Williams whom people unfairly say should play in the men's tour.

And Wonder Woman shows these stereotypes are bollocks, strong is beautiful. She's all about breaking those stereotypes that hold women captive.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By dshipp17

@archizoom said:

@scorpio_cassadine: You missed my point completely and its possibly my fault, I might've not expressed myself well enough. I knew tribal face painting would come up eventually. It's not enhancing makeup though. It's a cultural, religious or sometimes military custom, men, women, children alike wear it. I'm talking about women wearing makeup to enhance the way they look in a way that men are not compelled to do.

Also i didn't mean to say the more women look like men the stronger they seem but that women who are strong seem masculine consequently because strength is an attribute culturally ascribed to men. It's an illusion if you will.

Also Queen Elizabeth I was not a warrior, she was a queen. She sat on her ass wielding her god given authority. Amazons are warriors, they inevitably develop muscle. Again, we associate strength with men so although muscular women are safely female, they are culturally seen as masculine, like Serena Jameka Williams whom people unfairly say should play in the men's tour.

And Wonder Woman shows these stereotypes are bollocks, strong is beautiful. She's all about breaking those stereotypes that hold women captive.

How many men have you come across that seek out women entertainment to criticize it for portraying a stereotype of how men should be, even though all men cannot be that way? How would men be treated who engaged in that practice? Would you, as a man, be backing those men complaining about women's entertainment? Don't men just allow women the ability to make and evolve their own entertainment, without our interference, and know how to adapt their form of entertainment, or leave the producers along, choosing to just move alone from what they do not like? Why are you so focused on making things bland for men's entertainment?

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I never realized comics were a men's space and that it's so incredibly challenging for you to read a book about a strong woman that doesn't needlessly show her tits. If that's what you seek though luckily for you DC provides an endless supply of that. There's more than enough slutty wonder womans out there to last you a lifetime.

Who are these "sluts" you're referring to?

How can you on one hand uplift artwork that quite frankly lessens women (apparently they can't look too feminine, because femininity is somehow automatically seen as a weakness and you say "Wonder Woman should always be a tad "masculine""). Yet on the other hand you decry women are "slutty" for showing their breasts?

Should they be stoned for enticing men and exhibiting their "dirty pillows"?

How is it fair to women to slut shame them into being how you yourself desire them to appear? Where's the personal empowerment in that? They can only powerful if they fall in line with your views and dress in a way that you find acceptable?

That's ludicrous as well as hypocritical.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ArchiZoom

@scorpio_cassadine said:

Who are these "sluts" you're referring to?

How can you on one hand uplift artwork that quite frankly lessens women (apparently they can't look too feminine, because femininity is somehow automatically seen as a weakness and you say "Wonder Woman should always be a tad "masculine""). Yet on the other hand you decry women are "slutty" for showing their breasts?

Should they be stoned for enticing men and exhibiting their "dirty pillows"?

How is it fair to women to slut shame them into being how you yourself desire them to appear? Where's the personal empowerment in that? They can only powerful if they fall in line with your views and dress in a way that you find acceptable?

That's ludicrous as well as hypocritical.

Slut is slang for "promiscuous woman" so 'slut' seems like an insult only because somewhere deep in your mind you house a prejudice against women who do sex a lot and with many different partners. Otherwise the word slut shouldn't be so injurious, there's nothing terribly wrong about being a slut unless they deliberately spread stds. If you don't get it, think about the word "gay". It's also wrongfully seen as an insult. Personally I couldn't care less but I'm not a huge admirer of people who live an indulgent, hedonistic lifestyle because I think it's selfish. Why should wonder woman dress sluttish?

Women are culturally seen as the "fairer sex" ie weak, relative to men though we've blurred the lines. Woman=Delicate looking princess / Men=Big strong Hero. These stereotypes are embedded deeply in society so big strong women are seen as "masculine" although biologically they are female. This is because society believes men, not women, should be big and strong - It's a stereotype.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

So you think the lady on the right is a "lesser" woman because she's bigger and stronger than we culturally believe women should be??

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a lot of backpedaling and no question answering. All you're doing is trying to obfuscate the fact you're calling women derogatory names because you personally don't like the way they're drawn in comic books. That's ridiculous and you're a hypocrite for creating some imaginary hierarchy based upon your own criteria, supposedly in an effort to elevate women, yet calling them base, gender specific, names when they don't meet your exacting qualifications.

I think you may need to reexamine your position so that it makes a little bit of sense, is not as mean spirited and doesn't reek of hypocrisy.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine said:

That's a lot of backpedaling and no question answering. All you're doing is trying to obfuscate the fact you're calling women derogatory names because you personally don't like the way they're drawn in comic books. That's ridiculous and you're a hypocrite for creating some imaginary hierarchy based upon your own criteria, supposedly in an effort to elevate women, yet calling them base, gender specific, names when they don't meet your exacting qualifications.

I think you may need to reexamine your position so that it makes a little bit of sense, is not as mean spirited and doesn't reek of hypocrisy.

Was I supposed not to see this? If your whole point is that I choose my words recklessly than i'll concede it. I am tactless. That's all you could make out of this 'conversation' ?

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Satisfying every person in a group is nigh impossible. It doesn't matter if it's WW fans, Broncos fans, people of a certain religion, or political bend. So the OP question is kind of silly.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i love what they are doing with her in superman wonder woman. I think people are going to complain no matter what. Same way they do to superior. not a bad thing though, we all have different opinions

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

nope.

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
    Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id be happy if they brought back Circe and made her a nigh-skyfather level being due to stealing powers from gods like she used to....give Wonder Woman a new benchmark and good feats and it'll be a damn good start....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.