Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Will the other Amazons ever Return?

Peerless1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Peerless1

Her sisters on Themyscira are integral to Diana's identity even in the New 52 and even though Dian is a true demigoddess? How should the be restored and who will be relevant in the new DC 52 universe--Phillipus, Hippolyte, Donna (dare we dream), Artemis, Nubia?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MATE THE AMAZONS AREN´T COMING BACK. APPARENTLY THEY´RE TOO UNRELATABLE, JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ABOUT WW ACCORDING TO AZZERELLO. I´D FORGET ABOUT THEM AND WW IF I WERE YOU.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably after Azzerello's run. Like every previous writer that comes onto the wondy book, the new person will try to 're-invent' Wondy and change everything from the previous run.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By dernman

I read somewhere that an upcoming storyline will include Wonder Woman searching for a way to revive the Amazons.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Saren

@jphulk26 said:

MATE THE AMAZONS AREN´T COMING BACK. APPARENTLY THEY´RE TOO UNRELATABLE, JUST LIKE EVERYTHING ABOUT WW ACCORDING TO AZZERELLO. I´D FORGET ABOUT THEM AND WW IF I WERE YOU.

LOUDER

MORE FORCEFUL

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@dernman said:

I read somewhere that an upcoming storyline will include Wonder Woman searching for a way to revive the Amazons.

Is this by Azzarello or a new writer? And I think Diana's going back to Paradise Island in issue 27 so we'll see more of the Amazons then even if they are encased in stone.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@dernman said:

Is this by Azzarello or a new writer? And I think Diana's going back to Paradise Island in issue 27 so we'll see more of the Amazons then even if they are encased in stone.

I can't say 100% but I think it was Azzarello.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lvenger

@dernman: Cool, I'm one of the few on here who'll be actually glad to hear that.

@toplel said:

@lvenger said:

Hippolyta is the only one who was turned to stone. The rest are all snakes.

I was about to correct myself after rereading Wonder Woman 3 but thanks for the correction mate.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel: I'm sure there'll be some magic involved keeping them from dying but it'd be cool if some of the Amazon snakes ended up eating each other.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really need to start reading this series.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I'll be glad if they come back. The little I saw of them got me interested. I want to see more of Aleka. Her mother going back to being blond kinda weirded me out though.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: It should be interesting to see more of their society and individual members once they're brought back. Plus the impact of them being murderous seductresses (which is the one thing I absolutely don't like about Azz's run) could have a good consequence in Wonder Woman trying to change their ways and culture. I'd love to see that story.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

@jphulk26 said:

LOUDER

MORE FORCEFUL

Peerless1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: i know right? My cyber ears are bleeding.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm liking the absence of the Amazons, I like Diana's interaction with her new family.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By TDK_1997

I don't mind the Amazons being absent but I also don't mind them being around.So if Azzarello decides not to put them in his plans then I won't have a problem but if he decides he needs them then I also don't have a problem.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We already got Nubia as Wonder-woman on some other Earth.

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By whygamespot

Rumours said that they are returning on issue #27. I believe there was even a thread for this topic. http://www.comicvine.com/wonder-woman/4005-2048/forums/wonder-woman-issue-27-are-the-amazon-returning-1504848/

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel said:
    @lvenger said:

@toplel: I'm sure there'll be some magic involved keeping them from dying but it'd be cool if some of the Amazon snakes ended up eating each other.

"W-wheres my daughter? Anippe, did you eat my daughter?"

"What? I thought that was Artemis..."

or

"Why are my teeth broken?"

"You tried eating the queen"

"...."

Hehe now this would be utterly depraved yet hilarious dialgoue. I wouldn't put it past Azzarello to do that honestly :P

el_contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By el_contrarian

Azzarello's run has been a mixed bag for me. I'm not sure that bringing the Amazons back would improve much. What's the point? He could shoehorn them in to some drama between the Olympians and Diana, or they could just continue being backup singers who chime in every few issues like some of the other mythical characters. Not sure that I really care either way. Few writers have bothered to do anything interesting with them.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've been reading through back issues of WW and didn't expect the change to the Amazons to last this long. Especially considering the importance in the early arcs.

Tbh, it seems similar to how RDT got rid of the Time Lords in Doctor Who, for any fans of the show. He felt they'd get in the way of his story, so he made the time war.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: lol agree on time lord part but when they tease the time lord and Gallifrey coming back omg the fan-base goes wild

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to see them, now that they are basically savages. I even defended Azz for not giving them their awesome technology because this was more realistic, but he went too far with the murdering (and maybe rape- what? I betcha not all of the sailors wanted to have sex and the Amazons WANTED sex...).

So yeah, unless WW either puts all of the Amazons who did that in some sort of prison or Hel thing (which probably will include her own mother), have WW kill them all (which of course will NEVER happen) or after turning them back to normal she never returns.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought they were supposed to be coming back in issue 30

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes the Amazons will back when Azzarello is gone.

Unless the next writer makes Diana a princess, ambassador and warrior of Olympus instead of Themyscira.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yes the Amazons will back when Azzarello is gone.

Unless the next writer makes Diana a princess, ambassador and warrior of Olympus instead of Themyscira.

The cover of the issue 3 months from now shows that the Amazons might be back under Azzarello's watch; that was the cover introduced about a month ago.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: murderous seductresses? Ever read up on the real amazons? Thats exactly how they kept their nation alive.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Lvenger

@herrweis: You misunderstand my post. I'm very familiar with Greek mythology so I knew that's how the Amazons kept their society alive in the myths. What I don't like in the comic book context is that it makes Diana's family seem a little less...inspiring and her characterisation isn't helped by her lack of knowledge on what the Amazons did. But as many Azzarello haters will tell you, this is the only thing I dislike about Azzarello's Wonder Woman run.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rdclip said:

Probably after Azzerello's run. Like every previous writer that comes onto the wondy book, the new person will try to 're-invent' Wondy and change everything from the previous run.

Sounds bout right.

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I actually think it shows just how different she really is from her family. How she stands above them. How her integrity makes her so much more of an amazing amazon. It's not about where she comes from but where she's at now.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I m sure they will be back somewhere down the line...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.