Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Why Wonder Woman is Awesome

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Edited By batmannflash

BOOM done already. I told you on my last blog that I would finish within 5-10 minutes :)

Shout out to @jldoom for wanting to see this one!

Wonder Woman is easily the most iconic female superhero. She is my fourth favorite comic book hero of all-time. These are reasons why she is so awesome:

No Caption Provided

1. Love

Although she is a warrior, Wonder Woman is kind. Although sometimes she has been badly portrayed, most of the times, a big part of her character is that she loves everyone. I don't remember the exact lines but Ted Kord said that Diana is someone that everyone likes, even Batman. He continues and says that she gives a look that seems like she knows you but still cares about you. That is who Wonder Woman is. She has been sent man's world to would do anything to protect them.

2. War

This seems to contradicts with the last point. She'll be the first to call for peace and the first to throw a punch. She is one of the toughest superheroes that I can think of. She has no fear and will face tough opponents. Diana has a warrior's bravery and will. This what makes her so compelling: the fact that she is a kind princess and yet a strong warrior.

3. A Whole New World

This is a point I made with "Why Aquaman is Awesome." She has a fantasy world that's separate from the likes of New York City, Metropolis, or even Gotham City. She lives on an island with female warriors who have shut themselves out away from man's world. In Wonder Woman stories, you have a lot of potential to deal with themes of magic and fantasy. That is one reason I like her stories. They're different and shy away from realism (which can be both good and bad).

No Caption Provided

4. Allies and Villains

I like Greek Mythology. I think the characters are very intriguing and interesting to read about. If you like Greek mythology, then you should read Wonder Woman's stories! You get to see Hera, Hippolyta, Ares, Hades, and so on. Not only that, you have her sidekicks. I've always been fond of Donna Troy and Cassandra Sandsmark. Although she doesn't have the best villains, she has some interesting ones. Some examples include: Circe, Hades, Ares, Cheetah, Doctor Psycho and so on.

5. Icon and Inspiration

Wonder Woman obviously created as a female icon. She was meant to inspire woman and tell them that females can stand up strong against men during that time period. Even though that was a long time ago, I can see how someone like that can inspire comic book readers. Anyone, fictional or not, that can inspire good lessons in people gets a lot of respect from me. Wonder Woman is strong and loving and even guys can look up to that personality and strive to be better people.

6. Beauty of Aphrodite

Sweet Hera!
    Sweet Hera!

This is a short list, but hopefully I got my point across. Wonder Woman is an amazing character that I love reading about.

Thoughts? Comment below. Let me know if there's any character you'd like to see analyzed by me, batmannflash.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Beauty of Aprtodite is all you need. Man i love WW lol.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By batmannflash
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

You only begin to scratch the surface but you are correct; Wonder Woman is Awesome!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc: scratching the surface? Do you have more reasons that I left off this list?

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

She was meant to inspire woman and tell them that females can stand up strong against men during that time period

Sadly, she will live forever in the shadow of Superman

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She was meant to inspire woman and tell them that females can stand up strong against men during that time period

Sadly, she will live forever in the shadow of Superman

Correct. Yeah, it's unfortunate. I like Wonder Woman more than Superman

batpala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

One I would like to add from pre 52 is the kinship of the Amazons and Diana. It was just so sweet and wonderful. Also I'm pretty sure some of the amazons were lgbt characters [or it was heavily implied] and Diana accepted them, so.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash: I like superman,supergirl,powergirl,and wonder woman,I think they are should be equal,but DC never did it

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think she has the courage to face truth and accept what's ahead. She's not afraid of who she is and she does everything to be the one she aspires to be. She knows that reality is tough yet she embraces it as it is and fight for better things. She has a very big heart.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Lvenger

You hit the nail on the head for many strengths of Wonder Woman's character here. She's a diplomat and a peace maker but trained in the arts of war and a fierce strategist. Her home is on a mythological island filled with women separated from Man's World but she has many adventures in man's world. And she has as many human friends as mythological ones. Great blog!

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well said.

WW is a female warrior who emphasizes love and intelligence over brute strength. She was trained to win, but taught never to lose herself or her principles to do so.

She is from a different world which makes the real world a wonder and a challenge to her. Her reaction to the real world and her constant hope and compassion make her a wonder to the people around her.

They want to be around her, be better around her, and believe in her message.

When she smiles, readers feel no enemy is too big and this smart, strong and and wonderful woman can handle anything on her own.

IamTheLaw85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IamTheLaw85

Well put. The love aspect of WW is something a lot of writers over look, which is horrible. Dianas the type to love everything unconditionally, that'll go far and beyond to protect her friends. I love how Azz is highlighting the caring dide of WW in the new 52 run.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@powerherc: scratching the surface? Do you have more reasons that I left off this list?

Hey, don't get me wrong; I'm didn't mean to sound critical. I just meant that there is so much more that makes WW awesome. :)

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well put. The love aspect of WW is something a lot of writers over look, which is horrible. Dianas the type to love everything unconditionally, that'll go far and beyond to protect her friends. I love how Azz is highlighting the caring dide of WW in the new 52 run.

sadly Azz's wonder woman seems bepolar,she cares about everyone but other times act totally different like when she stabs the firs born in the back while he was with his guard off fighting ares.

i don't like this run that much,i still expect much more than what we have seen until now.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By JLDoom

Hey, this is awesome (thanks for the shout out :D)! Awesome work, dude! You perfectly nailed why Wonder Woman is not only awesome but pretty underrated as well.

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmannflash said:

Hey, don't get me wrong; I'm didn't mean to sound critical. I just meant that there is so much more that makes WW awesome. :)

No I didn't think you were being critical at all. I'm just very interested in your reasons why WW is awesome.

Thanks everyone who commented!

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Totally agree.

But Wondy has some contradictory elements. If she is meant to bring peace, why does she participate in fighting?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By batmannflash

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: there are times for peace and times for action. Do you think you should try to make peace with Darkseid? Or even Cheetah? Her goal is have peace but sometimes you need a little fighting with supervillains. Like Batman wants Gotham City to be without Batman and be peaceful, but he can't do that unless he fights villains

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she is awesome indeed.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Re: WW and the perceived conflict between peace and war/fighting.

I offer that there is a difference between an ambassador of peace or a peacemaker and a pacifist. Saying she is promoting peace does not render WW a pacifist who will not fight if she feels a fight is needed. To be truly contradictory, WW would have to promote war and fighting just for the sake of war and fighting which when written well, she does not.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.