Why the new colors are better than the classic

• 54 results
#1 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

The silver is basically white, so it fits red, white, and blue theme

#2 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (759 posts) - - Show Bio

And then the golden lasso pops up out of nowhere and looks extremely out of place

#3 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by Squalleon (4639 posts) - - Show Bio

It just looks better.
The design is better actually so it might complements the colors. I think the only one who got a better suit in the new 52 is Wonder Woman.

#5 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Have to disagree.

Burgundy/crimson, blue and silver are simply not red, white and blue. Not matter how you slice it. Her hair is not an accessory, but the lasso is and most people try not to mix gold and silver accessories. It makes her character darker. And why is she working so hard to wear a variation of the American flag?

#6 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (759 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33 said:

@scorpio_cassadine: she also has black hair, does it look out of place?

Do you match your clothing to your hair color? I don't, nor do most people.

The absence of gold on her costume still looks weird to me. I wish the Earth 2 Wonder Woman outfit had been the one in the New 52. It was instantly recognizable as Wonder Woman but different, busy and extra enough to be a New 52 design. Also it had a classic warrior vibe that mixed metal colors in an interesting way that could have pleased everyone but the "pants people".

Gold is almost always better than silver. It has a majestic quality that silver lacks.

#7 Posted by longbowhunter (7291 posts) - - Show Bio

I like all the silver. Never been a big fan of gold.

#8 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (759 posts) - - Show Bio

You were probably never a big fan of Wonder Woman either.

#9 Posted by darknightspideyfanboy (1326 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine: lol what type of logic is that BAHAHAHAH! ty you sir/madam for making my day hahaha

#10 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (759 posts) - - Show Bio

You're welcome! I'm here to please and give my perspective as a Wonder Woman purest. "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!?!"

#11 Posted by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know. I like both costumes. The new 52 one is a refreshing change. I like how it finally covers her whole butt. And how it covers her breasts.

#12 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (759 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, God forbid you accidentally see the tops of her cartoon boobies. They could burn your eyes out and scar you for life.

#13 Posted by dmessmer (367 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless a character has a blue and red turtleneck/collar thingy, I can't take that character seriously.

Joking aside, I don't mind the change, though I liked the old look, too. Overall I like the old costume better when the gold really shines like metal, and I agree that the lasso looks out of place now. Either way, though, I'm just glad Wonder Woman made it through the New 52 without a radical alteration to her costume. If only we could say the same of her origin.

#14 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2246 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the silver.

#15 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: finally? Since when does she wear thongs?

#16 Posted by WhineHaus (83 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the silver. And I think it makes the lasso stand out more, which is a good thing.

#17 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been scientifically proven that she looks better in Gold and that the Silver is a pointless change

#18 Edited by w0nd (3719 posts) - - Show Bio

Have to disagree.

Burgundy/crimson, blue and silver are simply not red, white and blue. Not matter how you slice it. Her hair is not an accessory, but the lasso is and most people try not to mix gold and silver accessories. It makes her character darker. And why is she working so hard to wear a variation of the American flag?

The movie answer works best for me. She was sent on a mission , that happened to take place in America. As a sign of respect and peace they dressed her up in that nations colors. At least they came up with something in that movie. I always wondered why an Amazon who dislikes man, dresses up like an american gladiator

#19 Posted by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

@w0nd:

Amazons would dress in the style of warriors from their era which would be modeled after make armor. So, I have no problem with that.

Perez gave a plausible explanation as Diana's garb was styled after the American Diana Trevor who sacrificed her life saving the Amazons.

Since the new 52 Amazons have been robbed of their noble past and history, there is no logic to why Diana was sent into the outside world or what her or the Amazons' true goals/motives are. Since Diana was not in on the lie, questions are raised as to why the Amazons lied to her and what did they teach her to uphold this lie.

Part of the new 52 is assuming much of the dreaded past and continuity is in place and just living with the inconsistencies of the new info indefinitely so we can better enjoy the finished product... seems messy to me.

And brings me back to the question...

Who is Diana?

#20 Edited by TDK_1997 (14985 posts) - - Show Bio

Gold is always better.

#21 Posted by tupiaz (2227 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33 said:

Maybe you don't but the correct way to dress is based on color of your skin (or rather skin tone) and hair and to a certain degree your eye colour. Some colours works together other doesn't and skin tone, hair color and so on will reflect that in your clothes.

#22 Edited by dmessmer (367 posts) - - Show Bio

@tupiaz said:
@scorpio_cassadine said:

@jointron33 said:

Maybe you don't but the correct way to dress is based on color of your skin (or rather skin tone) and hair and to a certain degree your eye colour. Some colours works together other doesn't and skin tone, hair color and so on will reflect that in your clothes.

Lucky for Wonder Woman, black goes with everything.

#23 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

#24 Posted by darkman61288 (770 posts) - - Show Bio

@lilben42: Realy covers her whole butt?

Not That I dont mind it

#25 Edited by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

There's definitely skin there. Last shorts that covered her whole butt was the 90s biking shorts when Artemis was WW and before that-- original golden age when swim wear covered legs more.

#26 Posted by Wboy (442 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it looks a lot better, much sleeker and gives an "armor" vibe. Before it very much looked like a bathing suit or a circus show outfit with all the bright colors and gold. The silver crimson and navy blue make it more edgy. She's also not wearing panties anymore, it's like armored and metallic in design

#27 Posted by tigerkaya (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a fan. I find that once they made the her costume consistent of dark dark colors the silver doesn't make it stand out. With the gold it made her costume both stand out and iconic. The new 52 look just has too many dark colors to make stand out.

#28 Edited by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by lilben42 (2556 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkman61288: @jointron33: No but the stupid artists would make her look like she barely has anything covering her butt.

#30 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer to see it as platinum and I don't mind it. It's a visual cue for the New52.

Besides, who cares about the lasso being gold and matching? It's not an accessory and if anything, at least it stands out.

#31 Posted by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really care if it is gold or silver I think she rocks both colors.

#32 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the silver makes her more distinctive within the big three.

#33 Edited by Sinisteri (550 posts) - - Show Bio

Funny,

Not seeing that big of a difference between the bottom of classic or current costume. Artist interpretation not withstanding, same basic concept. Interesting that the coloring makes some people think she has gone from barging suit to jean shorts.lol

To me, darker means meaner and less joy. Always felt WW works best as a softer more classy but determined and assertive compared to Bats and Supes. Seems some readers want her to just be as close to a female Superman and female ruthless Batman as possible.

Liked the contrast of a woman just as powerful and conceptionally different from her male peers who had her own way of getting the job done. It is what makes WW, Sue Richards, Jean Grey, et al stand out. It's ok for them to be women who are powerful without taking on make attributes. And females don't have to wear dark colors to say "Hey! I'm badass now!"

#34 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (759 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinisteri: Nope the Dodson costume had boy-cut shorts that covered her whole rear-end.

After that came the Odyssey costume that had pants and so did the Flashpoint armor and the Justice League: Gods Among Us costume. Except when Deodato was artist, you rarely saw buttcheeks in the Wonder Woman comic anyway and he was the one that came up with the biker shorts towards the end of his run. It was in crossovers and appearances outside her own book that you mostly saw the Wonder Thong.

#35 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (759 posts) - - Show Bio

@tigerkaya said:

Not a fan. I find that once they made the her costume consistent of dark dark colors the silver doesn't make it stand out. With the gold it made her costume both stand out and iconic. The new 52 look just has too many dark colors to make stand out.

Exactly, now her costume is dark for darkness' sake. It's symptomatic of the whole New 52's failed attempt at making everything needlessly joyless and depressing.

The reason I read DC comics in the first place was because on the surface their characters were bright and colorful, but that brightness belied their darkness underneath. Now when characters like Superboy Prime show up and punch people's heads off, there's nothing to contrast that with. When everyone is a violent, edgy, badass it stops meaning anything and becomes boring. That's basically the main problem with the New 52. It's as colorless as silver.

#36 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

The silver is basically white, so it fits red, white, and blue theme

This, and also the fact that ive always found gold to be unappealing to the eyes

#37 Edited by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine: to expect comics to stay utterly childish and "pow,bam" was your first mistake. Go read Silver age tripe if you want "colorful" Wonder Woman

#38 Edited by toplel (940 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: He meant the characterization was colorful. Wonder Woman was supposed to be cheerful and friendly, not an angsty, depressed bitch.

#39 Edited by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@toplel: how in the hell he thinks the characters has become the latter, idk

#40 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio

of course everyone seems to forget that Diana is the Roman name of Artemis, goddess of the hunt and the moon. is gold ever a color associated with the moon? no. its silver. so its not just darker for the sake of being darker. it fits far better into the actual mythology of her character than being gold.

#41 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@outlawrenegade: who did the first one

and the 2nd looks like an update of the golden age design

#42 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@ltbrd: she is not named Diana because of Artemis' counterpart

#43 Posted by ltbrd (562 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33: i didn't say she was named for her, I simply stated that the name has a mythological component that the color silver does a better job of representing than gold does. in Circe's first appearance this connection was used as well as Circe believed the name fulfilled a prophecy. the reason for Diana's name is never specifically given. the name of the unborn daughter who Diana is the reincarnation of was never given (that I recall) so the fact that Hippolyta called her Diana could be a coincidence or good storytelling. either way her name is shared with a roman goddess equivalent of a greek goddess who is connected to the moon and silver is the traditional color depiction of the moon so therefore silver in her attire makes a great deal more sense than gold in her new origin which does not rely on the idea of her "armor" representing America as an ambassador of Themyscira. the darker tones of both the blue and red also benefit this connection more than just being "DC making the new 52 dark and depressing"

#44 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh not a fan. The gold just pops more.

#45 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (759 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine: to expect comics to stay utterly childish and "pow,bam" was your first mistake. Go read Silver age tripe if you want "colorful" Wonder Woman

I don't like your tone. If you want a piece of this over here, you've bitten off more than you can chew. Save those tired pro-New 52 talking points for someone who can't counter them, it's not my first time at the rodeo.

As for the Silver Age, I wasn't here for that. I grew up in the 90's and got my fill of "dark and gritty" then, you know, back when it was still new and innovative.

#46 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine: I've yet to see one instance of TRUE darkness and grit that felt innappropriate

#47 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (759 posts) - - Show Bio

@jointron33 said:

@scorpio_cassadine: I've yet to see one instance of TRUE darkness and grit that felt innappropriate

Yeah because Wonder Woman just had to greet her uncle, benefactor and weapons master Hephaestus with strangulation. Although he was an ally and had recently upgraded her bracelets to produce swords, she still felt the need to choke him as a "hello" instead of simply asking him questions. No that wasn't inappropriate at all, apparently that's how deranged bitches are supposed to greet their uncles in the New 52.

#48 Edited by Hastalavista (366 posts) - - Show Bio

Both colors are fine to me. The golden one feels warmer yet the silver one seems to reflect a younger personality. She still left me the impression as a comforting and reliable rescuer when she tried to protect her sister(sand? Sorry, my memory escapes me). Silver fits into the whole new52 tune, heroes being young and more badass and impulsive. Maybe she can change back to golden costume after a big incident and when she's more mature.

#49 Posted by toplel (940 posts) - - Show Bio

@toplel: how in the hell he thinks the characters has become the latter, idk

Hes probably referring to the JL version of her character, which is definitely not Wonder Woman.

#50 Posted by jointron33 (1902 posts) - - Show Bio

@toplel: that isn't dark and gritty, that's horrible ass writing. That can happen regardless of tone

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.