Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Why is WW nearly always portrayed as evil in elseworlds?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jphulk26

Just interested. I mean I would get it if it happened sometimes, but nearly always WW is portrayed as a complete B-word in most JL or Supes and Bats elseworlds. Either that or niave. I mean Superman is always given a good reason, landed in The Ukraine, Joker killed Lois, but WW who in her normal incarnation is supposed to be a diplomat and paragon of peace, is always just played up as vacuous warrior with a heart of stone. Anyone who reads WW own comics, even Azzerrelo´s which I don´t like, realizes that compassion is at the heart of the character. I wish more elseworlds explored this. Because they are sometimes more popular to casual comic readers than the individual publications and they paint a rather distant, cold, inhumane view of Diana for no reason.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dmessmer

@jphulk26 said:

Just interested. I mean I would get it if it happened sometimes, but nearly always WW is portrayed as a complete B-word in most JL or Supes and Bats elseworlds. Either that or niave. I mean Superman is always given a good reason, landed in The Ukraine, Joker killed Lois, but WW who in her normal incarnation is supposed to be a diplomat and paragon of peace, is always just played up as vacuous warrior with a heart of stone. Anyone who reads WW own comics, even Azzerrelo´s which I don´t like, realizes that compassion is at the heart of the character. I wish more elseworlds explored this. Because they are sometimes more popular to casual comic readers than the individual publications and they paint a rather distant, cold, inhumane view of Diana for no reason.

This is a good question. I suspect that a lot of writers make the same assumptions about women that I've encountered on these forums many times: that in order to be a strong, independent woman she must be a violent, man-hating bitch. Only those that actually learn about the character (i.e. the writers of her monthly comic) learn what is really at the heart of her message. That's why I'm looking forward to Grant Morrison's take - he seems to have really delved into the character.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sinisteri

Because people who don't get her beyond a female superhero fail to see what makes her unique. It's not just being a female superman or warrior woman or mythological stereotype.

She is the heart of DC. Not hardened and bitter, but healthy and vibrant and life giving.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people who don't get her beyond a female superhero fail to see what makes her unique. It's not just being a female superman or warrior woman or mythological stereotype.

She is the heart of DC. Not hardened and bitter, but healthy and vibrant and life giving.

I like that alot.

@dmessmer said:

@jphulk26 said:

This is a good question. I suspect that a lot of writers make the same assumptions about women that I've encountered on these forums many times: that in order to be a strong, independent woman she must be a violent, man-hating bitch. Only those that actually learn about the character (i.e. the writers of her monthly comic) learn what is really at the heart of her message. That's why I'm looking forward to Grant Morrison's take - he seems to have really delved into the character.

Me too. I hope he doesn´t screw it up.

batpala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh god this is what upsets me to the max and why I rarely read elseworld comics anymore. And also it's like how Donna Troy was the heart of The Teen Titans [original], Wonder Woman, her elder sister is the heart of DC in full and the fact that they dismiss that so they can have her act completely out of character so she can be a foil for the boys is really frustrating and upsetting. I can't speak eloquently right now about this, but it's frustrating. Wonder Woman is what got me into comics in the first place and to see that she's now playing second place to the boys, yeah. That ain't okay in my books.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel: wait really i love that version of her(kingdom come)

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because she does not have a dick that execs in DC can ride or wank like they do Bats, and to a lesser extent, Supes.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10  Edited By DecoyElite

@batpala said:

Oh god this is what upsets me to the max and why I rarely read elseworld comics anymore. And also it's like how Donna Troy was the heart of The Teen Titans [original], Wonder Woman, her elder sister is the heart of DC in full and the fact that they dismiss that so they can have her act completely out of character so she can be a foil for the boys is really frustrating and upsetting. I can't speak eloquently right now about this, but it's frustrating. Wonder Woman is what got me into comics in the first place and to see that she's now playing second place to the boys, yeah. That ain't okay in my books.

It's only because they sell more. Although she's always been second fiddle to Supes and Bats. DC really does need to do a better job at marketing her as a character. I think a movie would do a lot of good.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel said:

@darknightspideyfanboy: I dont know what to say. She was really OOC in it and was used as a stepping stone for Superman.

She was out of character for a reason though. Not the best one, but at least it was explained in story.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Only exception I can immediately think of was the Absolute Power story in Superman/Batman, where Diana was still a hero while Bats and Supes were world dictators. Sure she died in a rather annoying fashion, but her killing of Batman forced the people behind the scene to hit the reset button.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel: wait really i love that version of her(kingdom come)

She´s cool in Kingdom Come, but I think she once again comes off as the asshole out of the Trinity. She completely tries to manipulate the situation to benefit her position amidst the Amazons. I like her cause she badass in the comic and its just a really good story. Mark Waid however has the least reason to apologize out of all the writers. To be honest the worst travesty is Flashpoint Movie, and, Injustice. Why can´t she be the hero of one of these stories for once?

Only exception I can immediately think of was the Absolute Power story in Superman/Batman, where Diana was still a hero while Bats and Supes were world dictators. Sure she died in a rather annoying fashion, but her killing of Batman forced the people behind the scene to hit the reset button.

I´d love to read that. I´ll check it out. Is she a main character or just a side character again?

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

In an ensemble, they need the "wolverine" character, and that always get pushed on the military-themed Diana, so she becomes the hyper violent one that pushes the "real" stars of the book—Supes and Batman (but mostly Batman)—to step in and set her straight. Kingdom Come is the main thing I'm thinking of here, but you get echoes of that in other books including the JLA titles.

It does happen to Superman as well (e.g., Red Son Superman, Dark Knight Returns, to a lesser extent Kingdom Come), but these portrayals are more forgiving toward him and usually follow an arc toward redemption.

It's this reason that I usually prefer Wonder Woman in her solo titles. She's best when she's not being forced into a predetermined role in a larger ensemble.

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I could read more comics similar to JLA: A league of one, where she's interpreted as herself but not a sacrifice to the arc.

GWHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She so good at heart. It's nice to sure her in reverse. I for one can never see her as bad. So it nice to have them put her in evil mode and see what happens.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Maybe it's because the idea of exploring her dark side works best using alternate realities.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jphulk26

@gwhh said:

She so good at heart. It's nice to sure her in reverse. I for one can never see her as bad. So it nice to have them put her in evil mode and see what happens.

But its everytime. Not a few times. Everytime.

Lets say Superman is 60% of the time

Batman is 10% of the time made a villain

Wonder Woman is 99.9% of the time made a villain.

I don´t mind seeing another side to the character either, but they should show her as noble as well. The only one where I saw her as good was Justice League Frontier, all others she´s practically always evil in a way that doesn´t even make sense to her core beliefs. She just inexplicably becomes evil with no rhyme or reason.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always viewed WW as a distant, cold, inhuman, man-hater and that's why I prefer Kara-L [×]

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@jphulk26 said:

@outside_85 said:

I´d love to read that. I´ll check it out. Is she a main character or just a side character again?

I would say she's a side character, because it's really the story about Superman and Batman, Diana is just one of a number of 'random disruptive elements' that's helping bring the two back to who they really are.

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By whygamespot

@m3th: why would you see her this way?

Celineness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Celineness

I think it's because she walks an extremely fine line between the love/compassion and the "pro-death penalty" sides of her nature. It's an easy solution in elseworlds books to paint her as having fallen on the bad side of that line following some personal loss or bitter experience, and once she's gone that way it's not easy for her to come back.

It helps to keep her in-character by contrasting her with her Amazon sisters as the least bloodthirsty and extreme of all of them, like she possesses a fragment of humanity mixed in with the rest of her that other Amazons (including her mother) lack. Setting her up beside the more brash Power Girl or any female "bruiser" villain ever is also an easy way to show her warmer side.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@m3th said:

I've always viewed WW as a distant, cold, inhuman, man-hater and that's why I prefer Kara-L [×]

When has she ever acted like that in actual continuity?

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman is ideologically based so it's rather easy to make her evil.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

In an ensemble, they need the "wolverine" character, and that always get pushed on the military-themed Diana, so she becomes the hyper violent one that pushes the "real" stars of the book—Supes and Batman (but mostly Batman)—to step in and set her straight. Kingdom Come is the main thing I'm thinking of here, but you get echoes of that in other books including the JLA titles.

It does happen to Superman as well (e.g., Red Son Superman, Dark Knight Returns, to a lesser extent Kingdom Come), but these portrayals are more forgiving toward him and usually follow an arc toward redemption.

It's this reason that I usually prefer Wonder Woman in her solo titles. She's best when she's not being forced into a predetermined role in a larger ensemble.

It would make more sense if they make Batman, Lobo, Deathstroke or Aquaman more like Wolverine, they are already have similarities with Wolverine but Wonder Woman is nothing like Wolverine, she represents Peace and Truth, she doesn't hate men, Amazons do, that's what sets her apart from other Amazonians, writers like Johns,the 2 Millars etc don't get her, they always give her goddess complex, they can't see past the Amazons hate Men and thus are evil and WW is the evilest of all point.

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DwightSpitz

Because nobody listens to a female diplomat.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By fodigg

@rustyroy said:

@fodigg said:

It would make more sense if they make Batman, Lobo, Deathstroke or Aquaman more like Wolverine, they are already have similarities with Wolverine but …

Aquaman does get that treatment sometimes, but usually only when he's treated as the "Sixth Ranger". I think they want one of the trinity to be the big tough. Why don't they do that with Batman? I dunno, I think he's supposed to be the good guy who handles the out of control supers. (Again, my perspective is largely influenced by Kingdom Come and other arcs may not fit that so well.)

Wonder Woman is nothing like Wolverine, she represents Peace and Truth, she doesn't hate men, Amazons do, that's what sets her apart from other Amazonians, writers like Johns,the 2 Millars etc don't get her, they always give her goddess complex, they can't see past the Amazons hate Men and thus are evil and WW is the evilest of all point.

I agree that a lot of writers don't know what to do with the Amazon thing. If you write Wonder Woman as a straw-feminist or man-hater then you just don't get the character. I don't even think the Paradise Island Amazons should fit that stereotype, but I can at least there see the value of providing a straw for Wonder Woman to call out and distance herself from, which is what I think Azzarello is doing in his current run.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy: @hastalavista:

I view her like that because I have never read any of her material. All I've seen from WW are the animated movies, the cartoons, and/or video games.

I think she's always made into a villain because most people who are not very familiar with her, view her as being one bad day away from being EVIL. [×]

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

I view her like that because I have never read any of her material. All I've seen from WW are the animated movies, the cartoons, and/or video games.

I think she's always made into a villain because most people who are not very familiar with her, view her as being one bad day away from being EVIL. [×]

Thats what i mean. hardly what lynda carter was though. you should read the circle by gail simone or ruckas run. you´ll see why i´m upset.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@m3th said:

Well even in a lot of media she's presented as a caring figure, so I'm not sure where the conclusion comes from.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.