Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

why is wonder woman so underrated?

• 100 results
    charlieboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By charlieboy

I think on the battle forums she is underrated because she is female and a lot of people haven't actually read Wonder Woman.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 48

#52  Edited By Black_Claw

Wonder Woman seriously needs some more promotion from DC. If she's one of their big three then why isn't she getting as much love as Superman and Batman?

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By gokuwarrior

@Black_Claw: that's true,DC needs to promote her more,and writte her properly.

psylocke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By psylocke77

@TheCrowbar: How is an alien from a different planet w/ extraodinary powers be relatable? or A rich boy who turns to crime fighting w/ millions of gadgets and vehicles. How are those any relatable than her?

Target_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By Target_X

Ignorance and PIS is why Wonder Woman is underrated.

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By jobbernos

@Black_Claw said:

Wonder Woman seriously needs some more promotion from DC. If she's one of their big three then why isn't she getting as much love as Superman and Batman?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57  Edited By TheCrowbar

@psylocke77:

1.) Superman is the story of an orphan always trying to fit in and find a family.

2.) Batman is a story about an orphan that finds a family through his longing to protect others from the pain he felt.

Before the Azarello's arc Wonder Woman was horrifically poorly written and inconsistent. There was very little guiding her "theme"

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By jphulk26

@psylocke77: @Goddessa: Good to here. I wanted to ask a couple of questions. actually a few?

We got into WW it seems in a similar way, did you buy her comics because of the 70s show? I bought them after seeing the animated feature, and I wondered if you´d seen it?

I was also wondering if you might be able to point me in the right direction for a good WW story with Ares as main villain, post Perez´s run. I´ve looked in Simone´s, Rucka, as well, but he´s never quite the main antagonist. You never get to see him come to blows with her, and I really like the character, especially after the animated film. I think he should be WW Lex Luthor or Joker.

Last What do you make of The New 52 WW? just interested.

Thanks happy new year

@TheCrowbar said:

@psylocke77:

1.) Superman is the story of an orphan always trying to fit in and find a family.

2.) Batman is a story about an orphan that finds a family through his longing to protect others from the pain he felt.

Before the Azarello's arc Wonder Woman was horrifically poorly written and inconsistent. There was very little guiding her "theme"

I think you´re right, alot of it was poorly written. But there are still some really good runs. Rucka, Perez and Simone, gave new dimension and depth to her. I think all 3 runs are highly entertaining and some of the best comics I´ve read. And I love Batman Superman, and X Men.

I think your description of Superman and Batman is quite strange, esp Superman. He´s an orphan, but he´s really he´s more a God adopted to this planet, by parents whose morals represent the loftiest and most cherished ideals of humanity. His struggle is to maintain these moral inspite of his immense power, and use his power for the good. I don´t see how he´s trying to find a family, he already has one. But any way I got side tracked. I see what you´re trying to do - I would say WW story is:

3) The story of a child who disobeys her mother, in order to find her own individuality, power and define her own destiny.

She is kept on Paradise Island and pampered as a Princess, but she is almost a prisoner of her mothers protective instinct over her, Diana however is a curious child who wants to discover a greater world outside the confines of the world her mother and people have defined for her. Even if that means losing her innocense and leaving the comforts of an eternity in Utopia, to travel a path into the dark barely beating heart of the chaotic modern world. I actually think thats a captivating story and one a lot of people can relate to, but you´re right for whatever reason DC hasn´t done justice to how interesting a story that is. Most of her runs have been appalling. But to be fair, most comics were pretty poor by are standards today until about the 80s. Don´t get me wrong I respect that the early creators of these characters were pioneers, but they were writing these stories for children and that continued up until the 70s, so even Batman wasn´t that cool until Frank Miller got his hands on him in the 80s.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By gokuwarrior

@TheCrowbar: before the rebot wonder woman had great runs and consistency like perez run,and ruka run.

psylocke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By psylocke77

@TheCrowbar: Sorry about the PM. Still new.

I still don't see how they are even relatable too. All of their stories are out there. Not everyone is a rich orphan or an oprhan from another planet.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By TheCrowbar

@jphulk26: Those were very recent, Superman and Batman have compelling well written stories at go back to the 70's and 80's(By our standards today) Wonder Woman is/was too much of a see saw.

I think moving forward, she'll be an interesting and compelling character to read, and I'm sure write. But I can't honestly say that outside of Kingdom Come, Perez's run and the JLA cartoon, she was a good interesting character.

@psylocke77: I think you're nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

My point was, and still is, the last 30 years of Wonder Woman stories weren't compelling or remotely good(As a whole) and the reason was they wrote a character that wasn't remotely human.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By jphulk26

@TheCrowbar said:

@jphulk26: Those were very recent, Superman and Batman have compelling well written stories at go back to the 70's and 80's(By our standards today) Wonder Woman is/was too much of a see saw.

I think moving forward, she'll be an interesting and compelling character to read, and I'm sure write. But I can't honestly say that outside of Kingdom Come, Perez's run and the JLA cartoon, she was a good interesting character.

@psylocke77: I think you're nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

My point was, and still is, the last 30 years of Wonder Woman stories weren't compelling or remotely good(As a whole) and the reason was they wrote a character that wasn't remotely human.

@TheCrowbar: Yeah true, but Rucka and Simone were good as well and again what you´re saying is true not only of WW, but of The Flash, Green Lantern and most of DC´s stable. That´s DC´s flawed cooporate model, which is focus on Superman and Batman. If they actually look at whats been done with Superman over the last 10 - 20 years and how they revitalised interest and quality in his comics when people were saying he wasn´t cool, they could actually have some success with WW. Plus there have been writers who have done one off WW graphic novels that DC just aren´t publishing that all sound pretty cool. Rucka for instance was working on an Earth One comic that sounded like a really good story recently, but DC took him off it and gave it to Morrison, who only likes her golden age stuff. So we´re pretty much sure to get something along the lines of his action comics superman story. That´s not a problem, but why didn´t they negotiate so both stories came out. I can understand their decision before, but just look at this forum, their has been a growing interest in WW, and her mythology, but WW fans and people just interested to get into her are being starved of material. I fully admit that Rucka and Simone and Perez have done the best stuff when it comes to Wonder Woman, but thats because all three loved the character. Oh and by the way in all honesty Batman and Superman only started getting really good comics in the 80s. Their silver age stuff was appalling, and their Golden Age stuff is really just kids stories that were the blue print of a story with lots of potential as we´ve seen. Batman was pretty campy until Frank Millar revitalised it in the 80s and brought it back to its pulp roots in the 40s. So you can´t say Batman and Superman stories have been good for that much longer than WW. By the way what have you read of WW in the last 30 years? just interested?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TheCrowbar

@jphulk26: I didn't say it was exclusive to her, and I'm sorry if it sounded like I was.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By gokuwarrior

@TheCrowbar: in the last 30 years she had some very good runs like perez run,and ruka run.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TheCrowbar

@gokuwarrior said:

@TheCrowbar: in the last 30 years she had some very good runs like perez run,and ruka run.

She's had 3 "good" runs, in 30 years. 3. Seriously.

Also, if you're just going to skim a response, don't bother replying to a post. I've already addressed that issue.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By jphulk26

@TheCrowbar:

@TheCrowbar said:

@gokuwarrior said:

She's had 3 "good" runs, in 30 years. 3. Seriously.

Also, if you're just going to skim a response, don't bother replying to a post. I've already addressed that issue.

But thats DC´s fault don´t you think? As I stated before, its sounds like they have lots of material of hers they could publish in their large vaults. why don´t they?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TheCrowbar

@jphulk26: I don't think placing blame will be effective, but yeah, it is for the most part DC's fault.

I'm not an insider, so I don't know the reason, but if you're thinking it's malice toward the character, I'd probably say take a step back. It could be anything from conflict with the current continuity and stories to the writer/artist having a disagreement with the editor.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By jphulk26

@TheCrowbar: @TheCrowbar said:

@jphulk26: I don't think placing blame will be effective, but yeah, it is for the most part DC's fault.

I'm not an insider, so I don't know the reason, but if you're thinking it's malice toward the character, I'd probably say take a step back. It could be anything from conflict with the current continuity and stories to the writer/artist having a disagreement with the editor.

No I think, they thought it wouldn´t make enough money to warrant pursuing, so they haven´t published them. To me that is down to DC poorly marketing the character over the years. They haven´t tried to modernise the perception of her to the consumers of comics or the general public, and when they do attempt to, they do radical shit like JMS´run or this New 52 crap. I´m sure you´re right, to some extent with inside issues - but I´ve heard enough from DC writers either dissing her or writers like Rucka who love her being dropped - to know that it couldn´t always be disagreements, it is in all likely hood DC attitude to the character and all their characters.

Part of that I believe comes from lack of pride of authorship. Fact is DC characters unlike Marvel were not created by the owners of DC. They just acquired them by hiring young talent to create them. And you just have to look at their track record with the creators of their material to see the way the company works. Look at what they did to Joe Schuester and Jerry Seigal, how they ripped them off, and they were the creators of their flagship character. Imagine how they feel about the works and creations of characters they don´t perceive as making them money. Also just look at the female characters they´ve published since WW, and the attitude toward female or ethnic characters in general at DC. I mean Marvel isn´t the paragon of progressive thinking when it comes to comics, but they DC make Marvel look like they´re lightyears ahead in their business, social and cultural ethics. Marvel don´t tend to rip off their talent, they respect their creative teams, they have pride in all their characters and give writers multiple chances to it right, they were a stones throw away from making Black Panther, a black superhero movie (which I´m confident they´ll still do, if not introduce him in Avengers 2) Marvel is just a far superior company and thats why they sell more. Sorry to go off on one, but it annoys me because I love DC so much more, characters like Martian Manhunter, Flash and Wonder Woman or even Aquaman are being wasted, so they can continue on this DC wide obsession with Batman and Superman. (yeah they´re great, but eventually people will get bored and want to know what the hells going on with the rest of their stable) The fact an Antman movie is being made before Wonder Woman, DC should be literally ashamed of themselves; I mean your not gonna tell me Antman is more popular than The Flash or Wonder Woman?

@gokuwarrior:

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#69  Edited By Hazlenaut

How is her relationship with the other characters? Heck the side characters and villains they fail to make any impact. If they do they refuse to talk about it. I would like to know the amazons that cure Harley from her obsession with the Joker. Magical springs. Batman and Ivy would like to know. what are sauna girls' names?

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By muhabba

I cannot take Wonder Woman seriously due to the simple fact that, as one of the most powerful people in the DC Earth and as the ultimate female warrior, she's fighting while wearing a one piece bathing suit. That's it. I just cannot get over the fact that a figure that is supposed to enlighten Man's World on a females role as a warrior fights in a bathing suit. I just cannot take that seriously. At least Xena wore a skirt. A leather skirt mind you, but it better than a spandex bathing suit.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By gokuwarrior

@muhabba: and red sonja?,she is a warrior that fights with a bikini,the suit won't change the fact that wonder woman is a badass warrior,most of the warrior females show a lot of skin and most people don't complain about it,so wonder woman's costume isn't the problem.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By TheCrowbar

@gokuwarrior: The bathing suit is a bit of a joke. Hell when Ms. Marvel became Captain Marvel and everyone threw a hissy fit when she changed her costume, from a bikini to spandex. In an era where male heroes are essentially wearing body armor now, to have something as ridiculous as females in bikinis next to an armored man is...well a joke.

@jphulk26: As for your pride in Authorship, I can assure you, Stan Lee gets credited way too often for things he only had a passing association with. DC is a slightly different beast from Marvel in this. Marvel's always seen itself as writing soap operas with lasers while DC sees itself as writing earth shattering and most of the time universe destroying epics.

I do think there's a sexist aversion to trying new things with Wonder Woman, both past and present. But not from DC but from the fanbase. After the debacle of the 90's Marvel and DC are a little too gun shy about changing certain structures. Again, why does Superman who can lift the Earth for a work week and barely break a sweat get body armor but Diana is still relegated to bracelets?

Marvel isn't much better than DC, Marvel just enjoys exploiting "progressive ideas". The gay marriage in X-men the perfect example, it was such a small non-issue to the overall story at the time that the advertisement it got smacked of exploitation.

DC had its first major transgender character, they released it quietly, mostly because it was meant as deeply emotional confession a private moment between two characters, plastering it all over USA Today would've cheapened the disclosure by so much. We see it prior with Batwoman's homosexuality.

To say Marvel is lightyears ahead of DC in this matter is sort of unfair, remember Marvel was the one that had She-Hulk skip jump rope naked on their covers to sell comics.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By gokuwarrior

@TheCrowbar: please it depends on what character,when they want to market something in TV or movies,you see many male and female characters showing a lot of skin,and what armored heros?,besides iron man and others,most heros aren't armored,hulk only wears pants,aquaman and namor a swiming suit,silver surfer doesn't wear anything actually,manhunter only covers the part from under,etc.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TheCrowbar

@gokuwarrior:

Superman has armor.

Captain America wears scalemail, so does Aquaman.

Batman wears armor.

Thor wears armor.

Iron man obviously wears armor.

Cyborg's body is all armor.

Hawkman wears armor

I could continue

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#75  Edited By RazzaTazz

Women can generally be said to wear more revealing clothes, but women in combat clothing dress just like the men.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By jphulk26

@TheCrowbar: I don´t think of WW suit as a Bikini, she wears loads of differnet verions of it in her books, wearing sometimes Amazon armour and weapons over it. I don´t think it needs anything radical done. Supermans hasn´t changed that much either, they taken his pants off his trousers and made it look a bit more armor like. The New 52 version of WW suit is just fine, and I don´t think its sexist. In fact most women I ask haven´t got a problem with it, just men. curious?

As for my other point you addressed, I should make clear I´m not saying DC or Marvel artists are backward in their thinking, I´m saying DC executives, and the company in general is backward and corrupt in comparisson with Marvel. DC hire edgy talent cause they know that that sells, but then they often screw them over, or limit them, or seem stuck in the dark ages when it comes to developing their female characters. Part of why Rucka was let go is they had a problem with Batwoman being gay, they didn´t want into tarnish batmans image, being part of The Bat family. They accept it now but that was after letting one of the only writers who knew how to write good female characters go. Plus Rucka did want to change the swim suit as you call it, although I didn´t agree with him, DC again didn´t let him do it.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By TheCrowbar

@jphulk26: lol okay, your marvel bias is showing, I'll be moving on now.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By jphulk26

@TheCrowbar: What? I have no Marvel bias, as I´ve said I like most of DC characters more. In fact in Marvel only the Hulk and X-men interest me. where as DC I like Superman; MMH, Flash, WW, The Watchmen and many more. I´m talking about the company and how it operates. I´m confused, anyway its been good talking, if you´re moving on.

cuddles666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By cuddles666

@gokuwarrior: They haven't put her in a decent fighting game. Give Capcom the opportunity to work with the lariat throws and silver bracelet counters and you've got the most feared femme in the DC U!

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By TheCrowbar

@jphulk26: you keep harping on DC for being more corrupt and backward than Marvel. Seriously, did you just start reading comics this last decade?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By jphulk26

@TheCrowbar: @TheCrowbar said:

@jphulk26: you keep harping on DC for being more corrupt and backward than Marvel. Seriously, did you just start reading comics this last decade?

hI don´t wish to argue, I´ll let Allan Moore speak for me. Listen to the last 5 mins.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By TheCrowbar

@jphulk26:

If we're going to use Alan Moore as a measure of corruption.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By jphulk26

@TheCrowbar: Very interesting I stand corrected. I´ve only really looked into DC misdeeds, I will take a closer look at Marvel. But I still think marvel has alot more pride in their characters. But seriously very enlightening. thanks.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#84  Edited By poisonfleur

@star notes said:

She's a WOMAN.

psylocke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By psylocke77

@TheCrowbar: I haven't nitpick about anything. I said how I felt and that obviously affected your argument. . I expressed the truth. All 3 of them aren't all that relatable in origin stories.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By TheCrowbar

@psylocke77 said:

@TheCrowbar: I haven't nitpick about anything. I said how I felt and that obviously affected your argument. . I expressed the truth. All 3 of them aren't all that relatable in origin stories.

Your biases are your own, I'm not inclined to shovel through them.

psylocke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By psylocke77

@TheCrowbar: And I've proven my point.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By TheCrowbar

@psylocke77 said:

@TheCrowbar: And I've proven my point.

Giving up on you isn't you proving your point. You're not worth my time. I've got better things to do than yell at a brick wall.

psylocke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By psylocke77

That's exactly what it means. Ohh please dude, i sent you 2 messages maybe 3, so how is it that you don't have time now? or that I'm a brick wall? I just started talking to you, or did you forget?. We haven't been debating constantly for days or hours. I was trying to understand your point and as soon as I opposed to something you stated, you avoided the subject and made excuses.Your previous messages made no sense. You're backed into the corner and now you have nothing to say. Own up to it, instead of putting up this fascade. You're weak goodbye!

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By TheCrowbar

@psylocke77 said:

That's exactly what it means. Ohh please dude, i sent you 2 messages maybe 3, so how is it that you don't have time now? or that I'm a brick wall? I just started talking to you, or did you forget?. We haven't been debating constantly for days or hours. I was trying to understand your point and as soon as I opposed to something you stated, you avoided the subject and made excuses.Your previous messages made no sense. You're backed into the corner and now you have nothing to say. Own up to it, instead of putting up this fascade. You're weak goodbye!

Just so we're clear on this discussion:

"Wonder Woman isn't relatable"

"Neither are Batman and Superman""

They're orphan stories"

"Rich orphan and Alien orphan"

"That's nitpicking, they're still orphan stories"

"I don't see how they're relatable"

"Okay"

"I win"

"No, I just don't want to argue with brick wall"

"Come on! Argue with the wall"

That's what I see in our discussion, you're not moving it along, you're only saying "nope nope nope" to whatever I bring up. In your opinion they're aren't relatable. Okay, that's okay everyone has their bias. I'm not inclined to lift that bias from you, you've done nothing to make me want to. You're not worth my time. I could sit here and watch MASH reruns, and debating you would still be below that.

I hope that's clearer now. This will be my last response to this off topic discussion. It was asked why is Wonder Woman so underrated, I told you why.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By jphulk26

@psylocke77: @TheCrowbar: COME ON GUYS ITS ONLY COMICS. clearly all 3 characters are relatable, otherwise they wouldn´t be as big as they are, it also depends on who writes the character and how good they are at writing them how relatable they will be, surely. No need to get all personal.

psylocke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By psylocke77

@jphulk26: Psshh. I'm peachy. Talk to baby new year over there. Hes the one throwing trantrums about nothing. I never said they weren't relatable, I just said their origins stories were not. Superman isn't an orphan because he has parents on earth. Batman was an orphan, but he was rich and fully taken care of by his butler. he had a legal guardian. I was simply wondering how those were more relatable then Wonder wonder origins. Each origin story is unique, but way out of the box. That's all I was saying. Then all of sudden "oh you're just bias and I'm not talking anymore, you're just this and that". All this bull crap. I do think simone was the best for her comics.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#93  Edited By Press Oblivion

@TheCrowbar said:

"No, I just don't want to argue with brick wall"

"Come on! Argue with the wall"

That was entertaining . . . sorry to add to the derailment. . . But LOL!

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By jphulk26

@psylocke77 said:

@jphulk26: Psshh. I'm peachy. Talk to baby new year over there. Hes the one throwing trantrums about nothing. I never said they weren't relatable, I just said their origins stories were not. Superman isn't an orphan because he has parents on earth. Batman was an orphan, but he was rich and fully taken care of by his butler. he had a legal guardian. I was simply wondering how those were more relatable then Wonder wonder origins. Each origin story is unique, but way out of the box. That's all I was saying. Then all of sudden "oh you're just bias and I'm not talking anymore, you're just this and that". All this bull crap. I do think simone was the best for her comics.

@TheCrowbar:@Press Oblivion:

@psylocke77: No I got what you were saying and I agree entirely. I supported your point many times. I don´t think anyone of them is more or less relatable, it is up to writers to find something for audiences to relate to in the characters (without changing them so they are unrecognisable, I might add)

Superman has had the worst rep for so long; and it annoyed me so much as he was one of my favorite characters. But when ever i talked about him, friends would mock me saying, oh "!he´s indestructable, there´s no way to even beat him apart from using that space rock; Batmans cool cause he has gagdets and has to use his mind cause he´s human, thats just more relatable" These same people when I tell them I like Wonder Woman say "Oh she has to use bracelets to deflect bullets, thats so unrelatable" which equals superman is unrelatable because he´s indestructable and WW because she isn´t. Makes alot of sense doesn´t it? Now man of steel is coming out and people have read Superman Earth One, everyones jumping on board the Superman bandwagon, and so now its Wonder Womans turn to take the heat. Oh "she´s unrelatable because of what she wears, or she doesn´t have a father, or she has an invisible jet." Snigger snigger. And that has to be the first time in the history of mankind that I´ve heard men complain on mass about a woman wearing too little and that why they don´t relate to her. ;) I´m sorry I just don´t buy it.

The truth is Media images are powerful, and once a particular media image of a hero goes out of fashion and a new more savvy youth comes of age they trash what has come before them. Everything new is cool and everything old like Christopher Reeves Superman, or Bill Bixbys Hulk or Lynda Carters Wonder woman, all that just isn´t cool. Which is why we need to create our generations version of the characters and make them relatable to us. All that is stuck in peoples minds is Lynda Carters Wonder Woman as an image, and then they try and justify their prejudice towards the character and the mythology because they have a distaste for something that now seems antiquated. And to be honest they´re right to feel that way.

To keep a character popular and seeming like they are cool, they have to always be modernised, their story retold for the next generation, so they can understand why that character was appealing before. The people who were into WW in the 70s weren´t idiots, who just didn´t get it, and now we´re so much smarter. The reason they liked WW is because writers found a WW for their generation. A good writer should therefore look at the mythology of these characters; for instance Wonder Woman, look into her story and identify something in it that will relate to our generation.

Wonder Woman for instance, is a strong minded, independent capable, woman thats something that appeals to women of our generation.

she´s also a kick ass warrior, with immense powers, so essentially we have a Bruce Lee or Gladiator style warrior only she has super strength, super reflexes and can fly. Tell me that wouldn´t look kick ass on screen with some CGI work?

Unjust or unpopular wars have plagued the world over the last 15 years, WW is antiwar and is on a mission to bring a message of peace and protect the vulnerable against war mungerors. I can only hope that that message appeals to our generation, if not humanity is screwed.

Wonder Woman or Diana is also someone who has to escape the safety and tranquility of her home, with her mothers and guardians watching her every move, to the freedom and tumultuousness of the real world. Again thats something many of us face and we can understand that struggle to grow up, figure out who we are, unsure of what we are meant to become.

If she is perceived as unrelatable that is the fault of those who write her. She is a fictional character, and any fictional character with in reason can be made appealing to new generations. Forgodsake, how many people here would be willing to read Virgil Aeniad or Homers Odyssey or ancient Greek Mythology - but they are willing to watch Clash Of The Titans or Hercules. Or how many people would go and see a classical version of Romeo and Juliet compared to those who would watch Leonardo Dicaprio´s modern re-telling of the story? and how many people would watch Lord Of The Rings or Sherlock Holmes, but would likely never read the book? Comic characters are no different, they need to be kept fresh and writers need to find a way to have them respond to the world as it currently is and in the medium that is most popularly consumed. They need to translate the characters mythology into a language us moderns will understand. I think people would start relating a lot more to Wonder Woman if some really good graphic novels came out exploring her mythology and I think people would really really start relating to her, if they made a movie of her and put the same heart and passion into it as it looks as they are doing for Man Of Steel and that they did for Batman Begins.

Anyway thats my thought on the matter, and why i think she is so underrated.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By jphulk26

@Goddessa: Hi I don´t know if it was on purpose, but you´ve sent me a private message, rather than responding on the OP board. So I didn´t realise you had answered till just now.

I do like Circe a lot as well. What I´ve found is that recent runs of WW, are doing an awful job of maintaining continuity and utilising some of her better villains like Circe and Ares. Even Rucka and Simone didn´t really use them to their full potential. Its really annoying cause I think Wonder Woman, especially from the animated film is a great concept, with alot of themes still left unexplored. Like for instance I love what Simone did with The Circle, and how she started exploring the implications of a society like the Amazons. I mean would the maternal instinct be seen as a threat that could undo such a society. I think more stuff like that needs to be explored, and I´d also like to see her rogues gallery continuously updated. As for Azzerrello´s run unfortunately thats been a disappointment for me.:( He´s completely missed a great opportunity to explore the themes and mythology of WW in a much darker and more mature way, and instead he just completely destroyed her origin, and all the things that made her special. I stopped reading after about the seventh edition, and I´m personally boycotting WW till her story is either restored or the changes are justified, or they write another WW publication and just have Azzerrello´s as his own personal take on the character. I just think his changes have been really radical, and yet completely uninteresting. Making her Zeus´s daughter is both obvious and kind of just plagerism of the various demigod stories. I´m sorry to be harsh, but I am glad you are still enjoying it. Let me know if anything interesting comes up in it.

psylocke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By psylocke77

@jphulk26: Wow! you made some very thoroughl points about wonderwoman and I can definitely agree with them. I hear the bathing suit excuse all the time. You really struck me when you said character have to be modernized and their stories must be retold. This has occurred with the new tombraider and all people do is complain about how they miss the old TR. Outrageous stuff, so I definitely can agree with that the most.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By muhabba

@gokuwarrior said:

@muhabba: and red sonja?,she is a warrior that fights with a bikini,the suit won't change the fact that wonder woman is a badass warrior,most of the warrior females show a lot of skin and most people don't complain about it,so wonder woman's costume isn't the problem.

That actually brings up a point for me, exploitation. Red Sonja and Vampirella are exploitation fantasies in comics and have never been marketed as anything other, it's part of their appeal. Wonder Woman is touted as the ultimate feminine warrior of the DC universe and she battles in a bathing suit. If Wonder Woman was just another exploitation type hero that would be one thing but she's not, she's supposed to be an ideal to be emulated. Hence my problem with her outfit.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By gokuwarrior

@muhabba: wonder woman costume never was a problem for me when it comes to take her seriously,the costumes don't matter that much for me.

GolDEnsPectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By GolDEnsPectre

I love WW! shes underrated because unlike Superman and Batman, she doesnt have her own live action movie and video game like: The dark knight trilogy and the arkham series. And she doesnt have her own origin series like Smallville. She might of had the series in the late 70s(played by Lynda Carter) But who didnt? I talking about nowadays. We see Superman's and Batman's origin story OVER AND OVER AGIAN!! and now we are get a man of steel movie.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#100  Edited By jhazzroucher

I don't think WW is underrated. She's been given her own ongoing coming, put beside Batman and Superman, her own merchandise, etc

Ororo Munroe aka Storm is underrated, but her exposure is better than most female comic characters.

So the two of them has always been compared.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.