Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Why Is She So Popular?

WWQ3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WWQ3

She is one of my favorite comic book characters because she is the most popular female comic character and she is one of the strongest. What makes her popular in your opinion?

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she isn't a male riped off like most females,she is her own character,her own origin,her own story,her own villans.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Everything,especially her fight for EQUALITY

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wish she were more popular actually. I think she's more recognizable, Iconic, than she is "popular". I feel if she were truly popular in the sense that Batman and Wolverine are popular, there would be a lot more done with her in respects to publications, multimedia projects and merchandising.

I think that of more people were to take the time to discover her, they would find a character that defines strength on so many levels other than just physical strength, and a character that is humble, intelligent, wise and sincere. She is a beacon of light in a genre where grit and grime is the fad of the last 2 decades in the comic industry and she is a dying breed in that regard.

And she is all of this while kicking ass for all of the right reasons.

TAneT62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She's popular, yet more iconic. She doesn't have the popularity of Batman, Superman, Ironman, and others that can be named, the reason is probably because she is a female. Yet she does resembles the same iconic traits Batman and Superman posses, her costume, bracelets, lasso, and tiara, are just as iconic as Batman's bat mobile and Superman's S. People, especially teens, are just to lazy to show much interest in her ... Annoying really.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because she is one of the original females that can kick yo butt!

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@press_oblivion: To paraphrase Batman marks, Cause she´s Wonder Woman.

I wish she were more popular actually. I think she's more recognizable, Iconic, than she is "popular". I feel if she were truly popular in the sense that Batman and Wolverine are popular, there would be a lot more done with her in respects to publications, multimedia projects and merchandising.

I think that of more people were to take the time to discover her, they would find a character that defines strength on so many levels other than just physical strength, and a character that is humble, intelligent, wise and sincere. She is a beacon of light in a genre where grit and grime is the fad of the last 2 decades in the comic industry and she is a dying breed in that regard.

And she is all of this while kicking ass for all of the right reasons.

Also how could I say anything more after he said this. So eloquent, so true, so right.

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

Simply because she was the first popular super heroine. No other reason. Well, tits also. Those too.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with those who have pointed out that she's more iconic than popular - her book is never a big seller. It's important to note, though, that she wasn't the first super-heroine, so she did something to earn her iconic status over others.

For me, there are several reasons that I am drawn to her:

1. She's a strong female character who doesn't define herself against a man - she stands on her own (I'm choosing to ignore the various Steve Trevor plot lines here).
    2. She can kick ass if she has to, but tries to promote peace. Even her super-powers aren't very aggressive - the bracelets provide defense and the lasso subdues, rather than harms, her opponent. It's nice to see an ambassador for wisdom and peace over violence, especially when we all know that that ambassador could kick everyone's ass if she chose to.
    3. I watched the 70s TV show when I was very young, so she was essentially my introduction to superheros (Christopher Reeves' Superman followed shortly thereafter).
    4. I love Greek mythology.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.