Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Why I don't care about Gal Gadot being Wonder Woman anymore

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In the fan's mind, nobody is perfect enough to play Wonder Woman. Anytime you suggest anybody that would have been a better choice the fans do their best to still find flaws. That is why I am glad WB stuck with Gal because they would have never been able to find a actress. Why can't people just be happy with what is offered? This is exactly what Saren refers as to why Wonder Woman fans don't get nice things. I honestly do hope Gadot does shut the anti-bandwagon up.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

WW fans are too picky. They either want a warrior princess version or the ambassador of peace version same goes for her new origin either the clay one or the zeus daughter one and honestly both are good.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the fan's mind, nobody is perfect enough to play Wonder Woman. Anytime you suggest anybody that would have been a better choice the fans do their best to still find flaws. That is why I am glad WB stuck with Gal because they would have never been able to find a actress. Why can't people just be happy with what is offered? This is exactly what Saren refers as to why Wonder Woman fans don't get nice things. I honestly do hope Gadot does shut the anti-bandwagon up.

Come now it's not just WW fans that do this ... Bat and Superman Fans have the exact same issues. Not excusing this by any stretch, but where there is a fan there is a complaint about who gets cast as ANY character. We've just had a REALLY long time to debate Gal in the role, whereas most of the time an actor is only given 9-months to a year of this kind of scrutiny prior to actually appearing on screen as the character, Gal was announced in the role 2 years ago and still has not been on screen ... that's an awfully long time to give fans to b*tch about her. It'll be nearly 3 years by the time she does finally get seen on camera when all is said and done and close to 4 before she's actually the lead.

But I totally agree with you that it's long past time to quit complaining. First, there's no changing it no matter how bad people think she is, BvS is filmed, WW is in pre-production, JL is in pre-production ... she's not going anywhere until those 3 films are released and gross box office is seen. Second, you're right, they'll never make everyone happy, unless they figure out a way to make a clay-baby come to life and play the role :)

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

There is never going to be a perfect movie interpretation of any comic book character. And so far Gal Gadots portrayal of the character looks promising.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've just learned to not give a flying frick about anything comic book movie related news. Like books, they will never match up or see eye to eye so just let it play out and see how it goes.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Madflavor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still hold to this day that Gal Gadot is not just a bad choice, but is also flat out offensive.

Do me a favor, remove every single Batman movie from your mind. Pretend for a moment that we have never gotten a Batman movie on the silver screen, and they have just now announced that they will bring Batman, the most popular superhero, to the movies. You spend the next few weeks waiting in anticipation for who they're going to announce to play the title character, and when that day finally comes they announce that some guy, who barely has any acting experience and recently worked in construction, has been cast to play Bruce Wayne/Batman. But hey the guy at least looks buff right?

If that had happened, the internet would have LOST it's f-ing mind. People would be boycotting the movie, raging on twitter, you name it. But back in reality we finally have a movie being made about THE MOST iconic female superhero ever, and who do they get to play her? A former model who had a small role in a couple Fast and Furious movies, in which her performance was mediocre. I will argue that the internet didn't rage nearly as much as it should've. The biggest thing people complained about was her lack of breast size, which is so sexist that that's what most people chose to complain about, I don't even know where to start. Not to mention these are probably the same people who think Ronda Rousey should play Captain Marvel, even though Ronda has irrefutably proven she is a HORRENDOUS actress. Seriously, watch her scene in Fast 7 and tell me she should play Captain Marvel.

It really shows where people's priorities are.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@madflavor: Batman makes money though, it makes sense for a studio to take that casting seriously

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: You basically just admitted the real reason Gadot was picked. Wonder Woman doesn't bring in much revenue so they didn't have to put much effort in finding a actress. They found someone that was cheap and looked like a supermodel. Thank you, Saren you have opened my eyes.

Madflavor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a WW and I'm excited to see her protrayal. But truth be told comic book fans are never satisfied. Today I saw someone complain about her eye colour.

If they're not gonna do it right, I'd rather they don't do it at all. Female Superhero movies are notorious for sucking, and literally everything they've said about the WW movie has been a red flag.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

to be fair if it does suck ww will be confirmed for "not being adaptable" unlike other heroes that get multiple tries so fans have reason to be difficult

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: You basically just admitted the real reason Gadot was picked. Wonder Woman doesn't bring in much revenue so they didn't have to put much effort in finding a actress. They found someone that was cheap and looked like a supermodel. Thank you, Saren you have opened my eyes.

No. Saren just stated his opinion. It doesn't make it the "real reason Gal was picked". This isn't some conspiracy the studio heads are plotting against Wonder Woman fans. Why would they half arse a movie they know has to be great, unless they want a major backlash?

Neither you, nor anyone else here was at the audition for the role of Wonder Woman so no one, including myself, knows how well Gal did. We do know that Zack saw something in her and that is all I need to give her a chance. And who are you exactly to call her cheap? An keyboard warrior? How about you reserve your judgement until after we see her performance in Batman v Superman and the solo WW movie.

And when was it made a sin to look like a supermodel? And who decided what a supermodel should look like anyway?

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:
    @somayareece said:

No. Saren just stated his opinion. It doesn't make it the "real reason Gal was picked". This isn't some conspiracy the studio heads are plotting against Wonder Woman fans. Why would they half arse a movie they know has to be great, unless they want a major backlash?

Neither you, nor anyone else here was at the audition for the role of Wonder Woman so no one, including myself, knows how well Gal did. We do know that Zack saw something in her and that is all I need to give her a chance. And who are you exactly to call her cheap? An keyboard warrior? How about you reserve your judgement until after we see her performance in Batman v Superman and the solo WW movie.

And when was it made a sin to look like a supermodel? And who decided what a supermodel should look like anyway?

Nobody said "conspiracy". Just complete lack of care.

Nobody judged the performance. Aesthetics can be judged, because we have seen the photos (normal Gal and costumed Gal).

No sin in being a supermodel. Who said that? Don't know about what a supermodel "should look like", but everyone knows what kind of physique we are referring to when we use the "supermodel" word. And it's clearly not an athletic and powerful physique. It doesn't even fall in the "average body type" category.

People (those with an average IQ, at least) criticize the casting choice, not Gal. Most people just can't see Wonder Woman (beautiful, tall, athletic and powerful) in Gal Gadot (tall and beautiful... if you like that kind of physique).

Just to be clear on some points: athletic =/= bodybuilding, beautiful =/= big boobs/ass, I don't care if WW was drawn as a thin woman before because she was also WW drawn as a towering bodybuilder on steroids (eww), Lynda Carter is not the archetype for WW as much as Adam West is not the archetype for Batman.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madflavor: all they've said is that it'll take place in 3 different timelines that's not a bad thing. Captain America took place in two timelines and it was a good movie, so just wait until you at least see a trailer to start thinking about red flags.

Captain America the First Avenger is just the second lowest grossing Marvel movie ahead of Hulk

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Archizooom

@ready_4_madness: I think we're all praying for a good Wonder Woman movie that's also a resounding box office success, that will spawn a sequel, launch the Wonder Woman franchise and pave the way for other female superheroes, so comparing Wonder Woman to the first Captain America movie which was one of the lowest grossing films of the comic book renaissance is actually not particularly encouraging.

This period peplum fantasy film starring Gal Gadot opposite to Chris Pine, scripted by Jason Fuchs, that will MAYBE touch on polarizing feminist themes and supposedly takes place in three different time periods, at face value sounds like it has all the ingredients for an epic storytelling disaster, in my non-expert opinion. Personally I never liked those stories that jump back and forth along the timeline so I'm a little iffy on that. And even Marvel's flavors-of-the-month are getting oscar-worthy talent. Plus the idea that dozens of millions of innocent people might've died in the world wars under Wonder Woman's guardianship doesn't sit right with me

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: If people liked the the movie that much, more people would've seen it and it would've made more money. And what good are powerful superheroes like Wonder Woman if she can't save the world. Superman killed 1 person to save millions and people didn't like that, Wonder Woman will let millions die, she's quite the hero...

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: We don't know the full events for the movie yet. And she won't "let" millions of people die. That implies her just standing by and letting it happen out of apathy.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Archizooom

@agent_z: Fair enough, let me rephrase that, Wonder Woman will NOT save them and so MILLIONS will perish which is what happens when they focus on the Warrior and neglect the Hero.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z: Fair enough, let me rephrase that, Wonder Woman will NOT save them and so MILLIONS will perish which is what happens when they focus on the Warrior and neglect the Hero.

You are making a rather large assumption that her role in WWII will be only as a warrior. Who knows perhaps she goes from warrior only in WWI then comes back for WWII as an warrior for peace and spends more time trying to end hostilities than fighting bad guys. But keep on leaping to the most negative possible conclusion, everyone loves that :P

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Archizooom

@csg_cl: Unless they rewrite history and have it that ww1 ended in 1916 in the dceu, then millions will die, no matter in what capacity she's involved. It seems unlikely but it's not impossible. And If Wonder Woman spends 1939 to 1945 negotiating peace while 20 million jews die a slow, agonizing death in the concentration camps then that's even worse. We'll see, personally I like to go in expecting the worst

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CSG_CL

@brunnhilde said:

@csg_cl: Unless they rewrite history and have it that ww1 ended in 1916 in the dceu, then millions will die, no matter in what capacity she's involved. It seems unlikely but it's not impossible. And If Wonder Woman spends 1939 to 1945 negotiating peace while 20 million jews die a slow, excruciating death in the concentration camps then that's even worse. We'll see, personally I like to go in expecting the worst

I fail to see how that is or could be WWs fault regardless of what role she plays in the films. How is it "even worse"? History is what it is, the Nazi's attempted genocide on the Jews (for the record 6 million died not 20) and no one can change that, not even WW.

I'm sorry, but your attitude is absolutely craptastic. When you go in expecting the worst, that's what you'll get because you aren't even open to the idea that something other than your own personal "head canon" could be amazing. You've already made up your mind that this film will suck and no amount of incredible will change it. I don't understand that. Sadly this is more the reason this movie will fail than anything the writers, actors, producers and directors can ever do ... an apathetic fan base that will only make non-fans uninterested in seeing the movie because they can't muster the positivity to get their friends to go with them.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Me, I like to prepare for the worst and allow myself to be surprised, this works for me, it doesn't work for you, awesome! do whatever works for you CSG_CL okay, take you friends, your family, all the homeless people in your town and have fun watching 6 million jewish people die, but get off my case.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Archizooom

@ready_4_madness: A movie where millions of innocent people die under Wonder Woman's nose is not a good Wonder Woman movie, as far as I'm concerned. So if that's what they're going with, they had better nerf Wonder Woman to explain why she didn't prevent their untimely demise

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Me, I like to prepare for the worst and allow myself to be surprised, this works for me, it doesn't work for you, awesome! do whatever works for you CSG_CL okay, take you friends, your family, all the homeless people in your town and have fun watching 6 million jewish people die, but get off my case.

I'm not "on your case" (I'm not your parent), I'm exhausted from the wave of negativity that always seems to blow through here whenever you come around. I don't know that I've ever seen you post anything that wasn't a horribly negative criticism of whatever the topic at hand happens to be. I find "fans" such as yourself to be irritating in the extreme because you're not actually fans, you are, at best, semi-knowledgeable complainers. Seriously do you like anything? Maybe just ONCE you can tell us what you think would be GOOD as opposed to sitting around hurling negative commentary.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: they don't have to nerf her at all. Hell she doesn't even need to be involved in the actual war, the movie takes place in that era doesn't necessarily mean she'll be involved. Even if she doesn't prevent deaths, I want to see a real war with casualties I don't want it to be pretty. Yeah she's powerful and all but you can't save everyone.

by this logic anyone who was alive and aware that a war was happening during WWII is responsible for millions of deaths or just stupid or powerless

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus:

I'm sorry but I've never liked the excuse "We weren't at the audition. You didn't see what they saw. She obviously must be good if they picked it."

The problem with that argument is that it falls flat when you consider the fact that bad casting is a thing that happens. There are hundreds of examples of poor casting choices in movies.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the way everyone blames fans. Maybe it´s just bad casting. Henry Cav didn´t get hate when casted as Superman. In fact when we get good casting, generally people don´t complain. Look at Jared as Joker. Sure some complained but not the majority. There is a logical reason people complained about Ben and Gal. I was less pissed about Gadot than Ben, but it´s obvious there are better choices. Same with Eisenberg who is the worst IMO. You think WB would let someone like Eisenberg play The Joker? No. They don´t take WW or Superman as seriously as Batman. Also, people complained about Tom Hardy as Bane because he was too small to play Bane and IMO fans were right. Its not stupid to say Gal hasn´t got the right frame for WW, and perhaps hasn´t demonstrated the acting chops as of yet, and it isn´t sexist about her size, it´s just straight up true. It suggests they are not taking the character seriously. However, the lucky thing is I like Gal and I think she is taking it seriously and despite her size, I hope she knocks it out the park. Still cautiously rooting for her.

Sommie7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not like fanboys who complaining about her body.

My problem was I can't understand her at times when she spoke especially when she was in FF.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Archizooom

I've come to like Gal Gadot, it helps that she seems like an upbeat, friendly person with a captivating smile, I think she's beautiful inside and out so I wish her well, obviously for hers as well as my own sake. It also helps that the fan choices were terrible, blue-eyed ingenues, penthouse covergirl types...She's a far cry from what I imagined a flesh and blood Wonder Woman would be and look like, however in fairness to her, I'm hard pressed to name an established actress that ticks all the boxes, I thought they would scour the world for the perfect specimen, Wonder Woman is an incredibly difficult character to cast for. So this late in the game, I'm just praying that she delivers in the acting department and that in the standalone movie, and in the absence of Superman, the costume will be bright and colorful.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've come to like Gal Gadot, it helps that she seems like an upbeat, friendly person with a captivating smile, I think she's beautiful inside and out so I wish her well, obviously for hers as well as my own sake. It also helps that the fan choices were terrible, blue-eyed ingenues, penthouse covergirl types...She's a far cry from what I imagined a flesh and blood Wonder Woman would be and look like, however in fairness to her, I'm hard pressed to name an established actress that ticks all the boxes, I thought they would scour the world for the perfect specimen, Wonder Woman is an incredibly difficult character to cast for. So this late in the game, I'm just praying that she delivers in the acting department and that in the standalone movie, and in the absence of Superman, the costume will be bright and colorful.

So true about the fan choices. I was like you´re complaining about Gal´s acting chops but you want Gina Carranano to play her. Then they just would pick hot girls, not real actressess.

Years ago, I thought Rebecca Hall would be great, but since I was on the Alexandra Diddero train. I think she would have been great if she could do some kind of regal english or european type accent. Still happy they didn´t cast wonder woman to have an American accent. That would have really pissed me off.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: I feel like sometimes screenwriters give foreign actors more than they can chew so there's a bit of a disconnect between their accent and the advanced, eloquent english in the script which hurts the actor's delivery and never comes across as genuine. I hope they didn't make that mistake with Gal Gadot of having her speak perfect shakespearean english. I didn't see the Fast & Furious movies but I've watched clips on youtube to gauge her acting chops, there was 1 really bad scene but she looked young-ish so I think that was early on in her career. Other than that, I thought she did fine, on par with the likes of Henry Cavill. He's not very good either. He's great to look at though

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.