Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Why do people want her to be some woman of benevolence?

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Do yall want her to sign peace treaties with enemies at the end of every arc? Some of you need to get a grip. She isn't Dora the Explorer. She isn't going to be all nice and prissy with people to get them to come to their senses. She is a warrior that should be willing to fight to protect her loved ones.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She isn't Red Sonja either...

She is ALSO a warrior.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You hate Mother Teresa?

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

i mean a large part of her mythos and character is based on being compassionate and loving like thats who she has been for a while she isnt super mean and wants to kill..she will if she has too but before she has too she'll do anything to avoid it. imo she should have very few villains that she attempt to outright destroy most of them should be ones she attempts to rehabilitate

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By alsummers

So..........you want her to be like every boring "badass" female sidekick.

Personally, her propensity for compassion is what makes her more of a hero than her breaking a thousand necks. Sets her apart from being just a "badass". Yeah, I have no problem with her using force if things go awry, and yeah, a some of her villains are supernatural and can't really be contained like Batman's villains, but I don't see why that means she has to nix any gentleness when one of the first things we're introduced about her in her original mythos is nursing an injured man back to health.

Going from that to just killing people all the time is not only jarring, but outright uninteresting and her being ultra violent doesn't make her likeable at all. It just makes her sound brainless.

Truth_Teller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman has shown many facets to her personality in the new 52. Compassion being one of them. Since becoming God of War she has been more violent though but thats to be expected since Batman theorized that she would become more violent and that more violence would be around her due to her new status.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do yall want her to sign peace treaties with enemies at the end of every arc? Some of you need to get a grip. She isn't Dora the Explorer. She isn't going to be all nice and prissy with people to get them to come to their senses. She is a warrior that should be willing to fight to protect her loved ones.

I'm down with her being a bad*ss warrior when it's necessary, but she's supposed to be thoughtful and intelligent and uses her brains as much as her brawn to get herself out of trouble. Marston made her a scientist and a philosopher as well as a fighter. I miss the multifaceted version of WW. I don't except her to be a total priss, but I would like to see her use her intellect more often.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: So she should be more like someone such as Black Widow or Gamora. That actually wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I think she can be a sweet and humble person that gets aggressive and serious when it comes to fighting.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece: That's pretty much what we've all been asking for. No one really wants the warrior aspect gone but it shouldn't define her character.

Hypester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Hypester

Why? Simple: The original concept of the character, waaaay back when, was someone who overcame her enemies with love and peace and cleverness, not violence. This also plays out in the most popular incarnation to date: The Lynda Carter TV show, where the theme song even goes so far as to say "fight a war with love." In subsequent reboots and retellings, however, the kirby-esque utopia of Amazons-in-name-only was replaced with the traditional warrior-like man-hating Amazon myth and incorporated into Wonder Woman's persona and values, creating the badarse killer that people like today, but the original concept has never gone away and still contributes to her popularity. Even in this thread, people have seen the warrior chick. People want something more inspiring, even if it's less cool.

Because in the hearts of many, an adult Dora with super powers is just what the world needs. Someone who realizes, like a Ghandi, or a Martin Luther King, that fighting to make the world a better place doesn't come with blood on her hands. But thank you for asking this question this way, it really helps me understand what I love about Wonder Woman.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

She's meant to represent Compassion/Love in the Trinity.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece: and who spends her free time on improving the world through science and diplomacy.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I disagree ... His Diana had many layers. They just weren't as obvious as having a job as an ambassador. Azzarello had her go through many emotional transitions where others had her cycle through jobs.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

You gotta admit, she looks pretty cool when she's angry. Glaring at the horizon, fists clenched, hair blowing in the wind = super awesome.

Badass Wonder Woman is the one I grew up with. ^_^

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CSG_CL

@agent41: we disagree on this point and have for ages. I think Azzarello did an amazing job of showing us Diana going through the most difficult span of her life and gave us a beautiful range for the character. We saw her develop friendships, save a god from her own self indulgence, defeat the embodiment of hate, rally enemies into allies and show compassion at every turn. She rescued her half siblings and saved them from their own hate and neurosis and won the respect of her Amazon Sisters too.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: you are entitled to your opinion ... But I believe she developed more under Azzarello than any writer since Perez.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She should be compassionate

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: there was some good stuff in both of those runs, but neither did much to expand the character beyond Perez reinvention IMO

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

She a warrior who well show compassion, mercy and forgiveness to her enemy/opponent. She use her intelligence to overcome challenges and obstacles, I always felt compassion and benevolence was key. To Diana's characterization and mythos.

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to say that yes she should be a benevolent woman and yes she should be a great warrior, but her as a warrior is depicted the wrong way, she should be, and don't laugh, a BDSM warrior. This is because it's the best physical representation of what can be seen as feminine powere and the truth that Wonder Woman is supposed to fight with, it's like something that slowly ensnares you til you're bound up in it and forced to submit, and in the end no physical harm is really done to you. Leave the sword behind because it's forcing masculine power on to a character who is supposed to be all about feminine power

moi245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she should be compassionate and also a warrior xD i don't want her to be one dimensional ! there are many sides to her which i think is beautiful !

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She could be worse, she could be the Emperor of Mankind from Warhammer 40k. I agree with the OP, especially in an action series about super people fighting and beating up other super people. Diana is a warrior with a moral center, doesn't change the fact she's a killer by trade and unfettered in taking lives or murdering enemies for honor.

She's like every old age depictional war hero ever created with a heart of gold and a altruistic perspective, if she were sanctimonious and all pure of heart she'd be unrelatable if not a bit to unrealistic.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@jimishim12: that is absolutely not what wonder woman is about.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: ^^^ This so much @agent41 summed Diana up very well with this post.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

One of the big reasons Diana is so likable compared to say Batman, is that she at least tries to make peace with her enemies while he is more for putting his in a deep hole and throw the key away.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.