Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8717 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Why Can't Wonder Woman Have a New Costume?

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@netshyster: Id see a eye doctor cause on those images she's not wearing bikini bottoms..

That's what I said isn't it?

"The exact same outfit with a skirt instead"

I just don't understand what makes you think having her wear a skirt is any better than the "bikini bottoms" as you put it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#253 the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman said:

I just want her to have a Greek battle skirt or something, it would look better than the bikini shorts.

There's nothing wrong with her costume. I don't see why folks are complaining.

People are complaining because they don't have the exact same taste as you perhaps? Didn't say her current outfit is bad, said I'd like the skirt more.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: I hear what you're saying but I think it's a mistake to start clothing her in Greek battle attire because it's just going to kill her distinct visual style. Greek skirt here, body armour there and a shiny golden helmet to top it off and what are you going to be left with other than a generic Greek foot soldier in gaudy armour; Where's Wonder Woman gone?

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid said:

@netshyster:

No disrespect but I don't see why a warrior connect to Greek mythology would not have more of a warrior presence I just think the battle skirt adds more of a iconic feel to her original appearance which had a skirt also the battle skirt is just more of a modified look.

The Battle skirt also serves as a representation to her origin it makes her look more like a warrior in my opinion the bikini bottoms doesn't do that in my opinion.

I have to problem with the Top my beef is her bottoms, which I think most characters shouldn't use especially Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman lost their briefs why give Wonder Woman a pair.

You're not giving her anything, that's what she wears. It's what she's worn for 50 years. Her swimsuit is iconic. How many other super-heroines wear one?

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the problem is that she's too notorious to change without raising ragers. She would need an awesome story arc of really massive implication to introduce a new costume.

Otherwise, the change is doomed to failed because people will saw this as a fake event.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By Rubear

Because she don't need one.
    Dixi.
    By the way the whole whimper about sexism is exactly it - whimper.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rubear: "Because she don't need one"

100% in agreement with you there and if they did change it, what would they change it too? If the best they can do is to put her in Greek battle armour then I say leave well enough alone because that's a pointless change.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By RustyRoy
    This looks like good redesign
    This looks like good redesign

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@netshyster: WW's had appearance where she is in a battle skirt giving her could fit in with her in comic blue bottom and star spangled attire it's nothing like adding a unnecessary battle helmet for a casual appearance.

@scorpio_cassadine: Her first appearance has her in a skirt...

Superman's panties were iconic but in necessity they modernized his suit and he has no underwear and I think it would be more iconic for him to keep it rather then WW. Same with Batman.

that's a bit of a misleading statement ... since when her first appearance happened that skirt was a much more scandalous outfit than even her tightest and tiniest bikini drawings have been in the modern age. Her uniform has changed and modernized over time ... but like SM and BM there are iconic pieces that need to remain IMO. To me the skirt look is fine, but it almost always signifies times when Diana is truly arming herself for a BIG battle. It's an indication to the readers that she's preparing for either something ceremonial or an epic fight. I've never seen the issue with the bikini.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: What's misleading about that statement it's true isn't it?

To me her battle armour signifies that she is preparing for war.

I'm not expecting the battle skirt to be added just prefer could live whether she has it or not.

It's misleading because it implies that the skirt was in some way less sexualized than the bikini ... not true when taken into context of the times in which she wore the outfits. I prefer the battle skirt ONLY when she's prepping for war ... it's a nice visual cue for the reader that tells us "something major is happening"

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I don't see that as misleading its the truth her first appearance had her in a skirt. I doubt it had any sexual inferiority statement to it but I wouldn't be disinclined to believe it didn't.

The underwear was given to characters originally represent the fact that they were strong "men" to mimic the circus people who wore underwear on the outside.

Nope, her creator deliberately put her in a provocative outfit as WW ... for the exact opposite reasons than showing "sexual inferiority". The point was to show that a beautiful, sexual, independent woman was in fact more powerful than a dominate male. Her uniform evolved under later artists and writers into the bikini format ... Diana Prince was just as deliberately shown as mousy to showcase that a woman who held to current societal norms wasn't always the preference, Steve Trevor had little use for Diana, but was in love with WW. WW's characterization flew in the face of traditional female characters of the time who were always shown as either "good girl" or "femme fatale" with the latter always being villainous until WW popped onto the scene. There was also blatant sexual subtext and massive amounts of bondage imagery in the GA comic because the author believed submission to a loving authority was the source of female strength. Often times he would show bondage under men as a cruel punishment, and bondage under women as liberating.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Isn't the "More powerful woman more powerful then the dominant man" a good thing. Symbolizing Woman empowerment.

Personally my original point is that it's her first appearance, and that I see a battle skirt more intune that she's a female warrior whose connected with Greek myths.

It is a good thing ... Moulton was a feminist through and through!

My point is that the skirt she wore in her first appearance is functionally far closer to the bikini than to a warrior's skirt. I'm not even 100% sure it was an actual skirt so much as culottes which basically got shorter and tighter as women's more risque fashions evolved over the next 20 years eventually becoming a bikini bottom.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: See what you mean I'm not saying the skirt and battle skirt is the same thing I'm just saying I'd see it fitting better as a modern day translation to the original suit.

I see what you are getting at ... I guess I just don't think the bikini needs to go. It's such an iconic look I'm not sure a non-fan would actually recognize an image of her as WW without it. I also think removing the bikini look vaguely implies that there is some shame in bare legs for a woman. Not saying that is what you are claiming in anyway!!

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Have no complaint about the look I think more of Greek and Myth when I think of Wonder Woman even though I know she has some of her own myth incorporated in her background and I have no interest to seeing a major change in WW like Amazonians running around with one boob or something just to be historically correct, just think its cool to use some modern day input same with my opinion on Superman suit should look more Alien, or Atlanteans should have a scaley skin texture.

I pretty indeifferent on WW's suit no major hate of it could care less, but I respect all yur points.

back at ya with the respect :)

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@undeadpool Wait, this article makes no sense, this was written after the New 52 launched and she got a new costume just like everyone else

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Her current costumes not that bad. Though I prefer her with either the battle skirt or pants.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

To answer the headline:

• Because DC will get someone like David Finch to do the redesign, and it will be wretched
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I would loose the american flag motive and make it more Amazon Armor.

@nightfang:

There is evolution but you can say that in comics there equality to everyone.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who says that hero has to wear a suit all the time , can she not wear a dress or jeans or what ever in some of the story do they always have to stay in uniform or is there some uniform police keeping track of them?

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Costume talks again... lol

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

And after about 3 years since this article was made, she got one.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The same reason why people raged over Superman losing his underpants. Change is impossible to accept until after it happens for comic book fans.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.