Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Why are people indifferent towards her?

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sadly it is true that she isn't bulletproof because of the inbuilt Achilles Heel that makes her vulnerable to piercing. If you want proof of this, just look at her ears.

And it's not nearly as lame as it might sound that she can take Superman's punches, but not a bullet, it's generally just how the application of force works, only exaggerated.

Plus it's not nearly as crippling like leaving your lunch on the side-walk because some green rock is nearby when you can normally tank nukes. :)

Well anything at the right speed can pierce through a target with the right density and elasticity. Superman's fists are "piercing objects" relative to things that a bullet would only scratch the surface of. If it does exist, this weakness is a little silly in my opinion. I don't find Superman's weakness to kryptonite as ludicrous, the radiation poisons him like cyanide does to you and me. What about her ears?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@foamborn said:

Well anything at the right speed can pierce through a target with the right density and elasticity. Superman's fists are "piercing objects" relative to things that a bullet would only scratch the surface of. If it does exist, this weakness is a little silly in my opinion. I don't find Superman's weakness to kryptonite as ludicrous, the radiation poisons him like cyanide does to you and me. What about her ears?

Well not in the sense it is defined with WW, the tip of Superman's finger might pull it off, but his hands are too big, it doesn't have anything to do with how hard they are or at what speed they travel. Think of Diana's skin as a sort of ringmail, it can take the edge of a sword or axe (even if bones underneath break) but it's not very good vs arrows or spikes..

Diana is normally depicted wearing earrings.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well not in the sense it is defined with WW, the tip of Superman's finger might pull it off, but his hands are too big, it doesn't have anything to do with how hard they are or at what speed they travel. Think of Diana's skin as a sort of ringmail, it can take the edge of a sword or axe (even if bones underneath break) but it's not very good vs arrows or spikes..

Diana is normally depicted wearing earrings.

I see, that does make sense but isn't it just conjecture? She doesn't wear earrings in the new 52 and to be honest I'm completely clueless as to what they have to do with this, I thought they were just fashion accessories

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: Normally you have your ears pierced to wear earrings, it was merely a practical example of the vulnerability. (And note that people are still struggling with explaining how Superman shaves).

That said, it's comics, its rare stuff like this makes sense. Like why does Superman gain powers rather than cancer under an alien sun? Why do we humans suffer nothing from exposure to Kryptonite? Why did Batman wear his underpants outside of his pants? :)

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: Normally you have your ears pierced to wear earrings, it was merely a practical example of the vulnerability. (And note that people are still struggling with explaining how Superman shaves).

That said, it's comics, its rare stuff like this makes sense. Like why does Superman gain powers rather than cancer under an alien sun? Why do we humans suffer nothing from exposure to Kryptonite? Why did Batman wear his underpants outside of his pants? :)

She could've and probably would've pierced them with some magic weapon or maybe she wears clip-on earrings. I think a magic-razor forged by Hephaestus would be a nice little gift for Superman but for all it's worth I've seen him shave with heat vision. This weakness to piercing weapons is just large, like it makes Wonder Woman look very vulnerable, I don't like the idea that a mere human could betray her trust, sneak into her bedroom in the middle of the night and slay Wonder Woman. Doing so should take a huge amount of preparation, technology, strategy, teamwork and still fail spectacularly

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

She could've and probably would've pierced them with some magic weapon or maybe she wears clip-on earrings.

I think a magic-razor forged by Hephaestus would be a nice little gift for Superman but for all it's worth I've seen him shave with heat vision.

This weakness to piercing weapons is just large, like it makes Wonder Woman look very vulnerable, I don't like the idea that a mere human could betray her trust, sneak into her bedroom in the middle of the night and slay Wonder Woman. Doing so should take a huge amount of preparation, technology, strategy, teamwork and still fail spectacularly

I doubt those were options in a society stuck in 1000 BC, plus a weapon is bit of overkill, kinda like using a steak-knife when you could use a knitting pin.

Magic razor would be brilliant. But the heatvision comes with it's own problems since the heat needed to burn Superman's hair and beard, would melt any human-made mirror and set his apartment alight (he can strafe the sun and barely have a tan after all).

Maybe, but you if you think so you aren't looking at the other abilities she has; indestructible bracelets, unmatched reflexes, and a bunch of divinely bestowed gifts that makes sneaking up on her nearly impossible. Like, Diana was actually totally blinded once, and she could still do this all day and not miss a beat:

Superman even tried shooting her in the back and she blocked it.
    Superman even tried shooting her in the back and she blocked it.

So yes, it is a vulnerability, but oddly enough it's far less dangerous to her or exploited successfully by her enemies than Kryptonite is to Superman or how fire was to Martian Manhunter.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt those were options in a society stuck in 1000 BC, plus a weapon is bit of overkill, kinda like using a steak-knife when you could use a knitting pin.

Magic razor would be brilliant. But the heatvision comes with it's own problems since the heat needed to burn Superman's hair and beard, would melt any human-made mirror and set his apartment alight (he can strafe the sun and barely have a tan after all).

Maybe, but you if you think so you aren't looking at the other abilities she has; indestructible bracelets, unmatched reflexes, and a bunch of divinely bestowed gifts that makes sneaking up on her nearly impossible. Like, Diana was actually totally blinded once, and she could still do this all day and not miss a beat:

So yes, it is a vulnerability, but oddly enough it's far less dangerous to her or exploited successfully by her enemies than Kryptonite is to Superman or how fire was to Martian Manhunter.

Superman's hair is still very thin though, a mower with diamond blades should suffice. A tan could greatly improve his appearance and help distinguish him from Bruce, they look like twins at times.

I'm afraid Rucka's Wonder Woman's long lost to us though, I'm not sure this new one is even half as powerful and smart, she'll take a bullet on of these days to give Superman a reason to learn heart-surgery in 5 minutes.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

Superman's hair is still very thin though, a mower with diamond blades should suffice. A tan could greatly improve his appearance and help distinguish him from Bruce, they look like twins at times.

I'm afraid Rucka's Wonder Woman's long lost to us though, I'm not sure this new one is even half as powerful and smart, she'll take a bullet on of these days to give Superman a reason to learn heart-surgery in 5 minutes.

Possibly, but I don't recall diamonds every posing a problem to him.

Well, Superman already knows how to perform that since Lois was in need of that in Morrison's Action Comics. And while true about the Pre-New 52 version, I'm not so sure that much has been lost.

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zhurong said:

I have seen people lowball and belittle her on the forums. People always feel the need to throw bait without taking things into context. Maybe if people actually read her comics then they would know the real Wonder Woman and her capabilities,no? She is very well one of the most powerful females in comics and deserves more respect.

Honest question, do you think a lot of WW fans on this forum honestly aren't guilty of the exact same thing to other heroes?

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't enjoyed her comics since the George Perez days, and kept trying to find an interpretation I'd be interested in. I heard wonderful things about Greg Rucka's and Gail Simone's run, but they bored the heck out of me. I never disliked her character, it's just that I never cared for any of the stories or writers since the 80's. Now the New 52 version.......it's awesome! Wonder Woman is my favorite current Superhero title! I love all the villains and the supporting cast as well!

She's compassionate, virtuous, beautiful, and a fantastic warrior, what's to hate? Previously she was my least favorite member of the Justice League, but thanks to the New 52, she's one of my favorites!

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: That is true, and I respect your opinion! They've been focusing more on plot then developing the character.

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

#263  Edited By Endanger

WW is a fantastic character to me.

Easily the most complex character in all of DC, maybe that's why she is so hard to portray in the correct manner.

WeAreMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cause theres a lot of little boys on this site.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's two sides of a coin. Not everyone's gonna love her, but not everyone's gonna hate her either. You just gotta accept facts.

You know how many people (typically non-comic book readers) think Superman's nothing more than a boring, OP Alien with powers a 5 year old came up with? I saw a Superman video on yt where some of the comments were something similar to this.

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

You know how many people (typically non-comic book readers) think Superman's nothing more than a boring, OP Alien with powers a 5 year old came up with? I saw a Superman video on yt where some of the comments were something similar to this.

That's ridiculous. Superman has 5 ongoings right now correct? If he's boring and hard to write how can he have so many ongoings at the same time? lol

This is more than anyone in Marvel.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endanger: I did say most of these people have probably never touched a comic book.

I got most of that from a Superman death battle video and most of the comments explained he was "op and boring".

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.