Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8717 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Who should be her top ten cetral rouges?

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It seems one of the big problems with Wonder Woman is that she doesn't have a very good rouges gallery. It seems this is largely because many writers tend to ignore her old villains and instead throw in all new ones, and the next writer does the same. I don't think she'll ever have a rouges gallery as large as Batman's or Superman's, but I think I think she could carry a solid ten regularly reoccurring villains. As I see it she only had really five real central rogues though post-crisis so I think doubling that would be a good goal.

Picking out of all her past villains which ten do you think would work best as her central rouges. Of course characters who are currently out of continuity have the opportunity to be revamped as much as needed, and if you really hate all of her past villains feel free to dig into DC character's who aren't considered her villains, or even pitch a couple new ones if you feel it's necessary.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

1.Cheetah

2.Ares

3.Circe

4.Giganta

5.First Born

6.Dr. Psycho

7.Devestation

8.Eris

9.Angle Man

10. Paula von gunther

Beata

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheetah

Ares

Circe

Giganta

Silver Swan

Dr Psycho

Veronica Cale

Eris

Paula Von Gunther

Devastation

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheetah

Strife

Circe

Veronica Cale

Dr. psycho

Giganta

Clea

Genocide

Angle man

Paula Von Gunther

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

10? If she has ten rogues, she's in a good place. Superman has like 5.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

@superguy1591: Parasite,Lex,Metallo,Bizzaro,Zod,Doomsday,H'El,Brainiac,Atomic Skull,Darkseid,Mr. Mxy?

Beata

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

10? If she has ten rogues, she's in a good place. Superman has like 5.

He has more than 5.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: @spidey_jackson: I said a good ones. Zod is barely ever used. Darkseid isn't his villain per DC. Doomsday sucks, H'El is meh, Myxy is in there with Zod and Bizarro only works with Lex pulling the strings.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Zod is barely ever used? Are you kidding?

And before anything Darkseid was Superman's villain.

Beata

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidey_jackson: Zod is barely used, at least the same Zod. And DC disagrees.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

First I'd like to see Ares brought back as a villain. I was kinda on board with him becoming her mentor because I assumed it would lead to some betrayal, but instead having him martyred and cemented as "good guy Ares" in the New 52 just really left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd really like to see him brought back and given a proper villain treatment.

Next would be Circe and Cheetah, and Doctor Psycho. Those three are pretty obvious to be included so no real need for explanation.

After that I'd like to see Angle Man, and Silver Swan as a couple of more tradition super villains for Wonder Woman to go against.

Next I think Diana could use a sort of female Lex Luthor as one of her main villains. This could either be Baroness von Gunther, Veronica Cale, or Diana's half-sister Cassandra assuming she survives this current run. I'd say that one one of them should be in the main rouges roster since they all fill the same role, but the others could show up too.

Next I think we need a couple godlike villains from outside of Greek mythology. Other Greek villains should definitely show up, but for the main rouges I'm looking for some more representation from outside of it. First I'd pick someone from Judo-Christian mythology. There are plenty of demons, or angles that could be picked from, but I'm going with Neron since in the comics he actually killed Wonder Woman at one point.

Second godlike villain would be Queen of Fables. I'm not totally sure what exactly she was in the post-crisis comics but I'd upgrade her to be a full on god belonging to a pantheon on fairy-tail creatures similar to the "True Fae" of the game "Changlings: The Lost." There are a lot of similarities to be drawn between Wonder Woman and the Disney Princess and I think having her fight "The Evil Queen" is the best way to do it.

I'd also like to see some more villains from Norse, Hindu, Egyptian, and other mythologies as well but none of them are making the cut of main rouges either.

And finally I'd like to see the Duke of Deception come back as one of Wonder Woman's central rouges. He's been out of continuity for a while so there's lots of room to reinvent him as needed. I'd still like to see his connection to Ares, but I might focus a bit more on his extra-terrestrial nature. I think every good rouges gallery needs at least one good alien on it.

Also just to cheat I'd like to throw out a few honorable mentions which would be; Giganta, Apollo, Doctor Cyber, Devestation, and Queen Cleo.

TL;DR

1. Ares

2. Circe

3. Cheetah

4. Doctor Psycho

5. Baroness von Gunter, Veronica Cane, or Cassandra

6. Silver Swan

7.Angle Man

8. Neron

9. Queen of Fables

10. Duke of Deception

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

You must be trolling. Zod has appeared in 3 of the 6 Superman films, Was a major antagonist in Smallville and has been a superman villain since before the 60's. He was recently an antagonist in the first arc of Superman/Wonder Woman.

Darkseid first appeared in a SUPERMAN comic.

He was a major villain in Superman TAS, and Smallville. And out of all of the heroes of earth, he's faced superman more then anyone else. Heck in the N52, Darkseid goes from universe to universr corrupting different Supermen.

Beata

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First I'd like to see Ares brought back as a villain. I was kinda on board with him becoming her mentor because I assumed it would lead to some betrayal, but instead having him martyred and cemented as "good guy Ares" in the New 52 just really left a bad taste in my mouth. I'd really like to see him brought back and given a proper villain treatment.

I don't see it this way at all ... Ares fully manipulated her into killing him and assuming the mantle of GoW ... something he made clear was a burden. I don't think there was anything "good guy" or "martyr" about his portrayal, he was getting the last laugh ... and I suspect she'll have some negative side effects as GoW as time goes on. She's literally a living paradox now, a God of War who only wants peace. Ares screwed her!

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Muffin_Sangria
    @csg_cl said:

@muffin_sangria said:

I don't see it this way at all ... Ares fully manipulated her into killing him and assuming the mantle of GoW ... something he made clear was a burden. I don't think there was anything "good guy" or "martyr" about his portrayal, he was getting the last laugh ... and I suspect she'll have some negative side effects as GoW as time goes on. She's literally a living paradox now, a God of War who only wants peace. Ares screwed her!

Guess I didn't see it that way, but either way I'd like to see him come back, and be given a proper villains treatment. I was also kinda looking forward to seeing more of Apollo as a villains so it was disappointing to see him die. I think he made a great villains, and with the exception of an episode of Star Trek I can't think of any other instances of him being a villain so I thought that was pretty cool to take him in that directions. Although unless Azzarello pulls some Deus ex Machina, and brings a bunch of people back to life I'd rather just see Ares as the only one to come back later.

Also I forgot to put Strife on my list. I'd like to see more of her. She seems like someone who's mostly just going to mess with Wonder Woman from afar though. I'd also like see more of Cassandra as well. I could see her becoming the the new Baroness von Gunther in the comics. It's a little confusing with her having the same name as Wonder Girl though. I'm not sure Lennox named his daughter after her or what's up there.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@muffin_sangria said:

Guess I didn't see it that way, but either way I'd like to see him come back, and be given a proper villains treatment. I was also kinda looking forward to seeing more of Apollo as a villains so it was disappointing to see him die. I think he made a great villains, and with the exception of an episode of Star Trek I can't think of any other instances of him being a villain so I thought that was pretty cool to take him in that directions. Although unless Azzarello pulls some Deus ex Machina, and brings a bunch of people back to life I'd rather just see Ares as the only one to come back later.

Also I forgot to put Strife on my list. I'd like to see more of her. She seems like someone who's mostly just going to mess with Wonder Woman from afar though. I'd also like see more of Cassandra as well. I could see her becoming the the new Baroness von Gunther in the comics.

I loved Apollo as the villain too! And Strife might be my favorite Azzarello take on a god ... she is both hilarious and nefarious (see what I did there) ... I can see her becoming the "Lex Luthor" of WW, always behind the plot but seldom playing the physical villain role. From the preview SM/WW cover it looks like she's still going to be around to cause problems. Cassandra, I'd like to see more of too, but I have a feeling she's going to get killed off.

I get wanting Ares back, he's a classic ... I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'd rather not have him play the "central" bad guy, I kind of like him as unpredictable rather than straight up "bad guy". I think that's part of what I like about all of Azzarello's gods, they aren't as clear-cut in their motivations as in the past. Hera, , Hades, Artemis, Poseidon, Ares, and Apollo have all bounced between friendly and not so friendly as the series has progressed. Hera had a quote along the way that really nailed it for me ... something to the effect of "when you are immortal the only moment that matters in NOW" ... makes all of the gods total wildcards.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@muffin_sangria said:
    @csg_cl said:

@muffin_sangria said:

Also I forgot to put Strife on my list. I'd like to see more of her. She seems like someone who's mostly just going to mess with Wonder Woman from afar though. I'd also like see more of Cassandra as well. I could see her becoming the the new Baroness von Gunther in the comics.

I loved Apollo as the villain too! And Strife might be my favorite Azzarello take on a god ... she is both hilarious and nefarious (see what I did there) ... I can see her becoming the "Lex Luthor" of WW, always behind the plot but seldom playing the physical villain role. From the preview SM/WW cover it looks like she's still going to be around to cause problems. Cassandra, I'd like to see more of too, but I have a feeling she's going to get killed off.

I get wanting Ares back, he's a classic ... I'm not opposed to the idea, but I'd rather not have him play the "central" bad guy, I kind of like him as unpredictable rather than straight up "bad guy". I think that's part of what I like about all of Azzarello's gods, they aren't as clear-cut in their motivations as in the past. Hera, , Hades, Artemis, Poseidon, Ares, and Apollo have all bounced between friendly and not so friendly as the series has progressed. Hera had a quote along the way that really nailed it for me ... something to the effect of "when you are immortal the only moment that matters in NOW" ... makes all of the gods total wildcards.

Honestly he seemed plenty nuanced in the post crisis comics to me. Maybe a few writers screwed him up for the most part he seemed like a fairly complex characters. And I'm fine with his actions not always being purely antagonistic, but even if there are more situations where him and Diana are on the same side again I'd still like to see some more bad blood between the two.

Also really hoping they don't kill off Cassandra. I'm kinda expecting First Born to survive the end of the run since Azzarello has said that he's intended for him the new Arch-nemesis for the foreseeable future but I still don't see him having much potential past the current run.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

1- Gods/ Major Myth Characters

2- Circe

3- Cheetah

4- Giganta

5- Silver Swan

6- Devastation

7- Doctor Psycho

8- Queen of Fables

9- First Born

10- Myth Creatures

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@muffin_sangria said:
    @csg_cl said:

@muffin_sangria said:

Honestly he seemed plenty nuanced in the post crisis comics to me. Maybe a few writers screwed him up for the most part he seemed like a fairly complex characters. And I'm fine with his actions not always being purely antagonistic, but even if there are more situations where him and Diana are on the same side again I'd still like to see some more bad blood between the two.

Also really hoping they don't kill off Cassandra. I'm kinda expecting First Born to survive the end of the run since Azzarello has said that he's intended for him the new Arch-nemesis for the foreseeable future but I still don't see him having much potential past the current run.

I don't see the point of FB past the Azzarello run ... he's been a good nemesis for this specific arc, but once his threat is stopped he'll feel like a lame duck character. How do you make him an even bigger threat after this? That's one of the reasons I like Strife as a long term enemy, she doesn't rely simply on being the most powerful, she's manipulative and, well, Strife :) FB (and Post-Crisis Ares IMO) are great direct threat types, but neither would be as interesting as a behind the scenes villain. Strife makes for a good mastermind who can empower new villains and get other gods to gang up on Diana ... old school Loki style, with a mean girls spin.

I do like the idea of Ares spirit being a long term corrupting influence for Diana though ... I didn't really see him so much as a mentor in #0 as negative influence who happened to teach her a few things. The way I see some of her changes in N52 is reflective of his "teaching" her ... now she's got the "evil within" battle with Ares that she'll carry as long as she is GoW.

kasino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kasino

got to admit her rogue gallery sucks

1. Greek Gods should be her protagonist/antagonist. fighting for her father's throne keeping Olympian order.
    2. Echidna and Typhon(parents of all Greek Monsters). Children of Echidna/Typhon like the Gorgon/Hydra/Cerberus etc.
    3. Cheetah. Classic villain also empowered by the God Urzkartaga.
    4. Veronica Cale for the Luthor type
    5. Giganta for her modern brawler
    6. Red Panzer old school brawler
    7. the Bana-Mighdall tribe as both protagonist/antagonist Amazon tribe
    8. Devastation, the Wonder Woman/champion of Cronus and the Titans
    9. Silver Swan could be re-imagined as someone else touched by the powers of an old god, like Cheetah and the Godslayer Dagger(champions of Gods her and Shazam should face)
    10. Trinity/Genocide and others
    Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

@kasino said:

got to admit her rogue gallery sucks

1. Greek Gods should be her protagonist/antagonist. fighting for her father's throne keeping Olympian order.
    2. Echidna and Typhon(parents of all Greek Monsters). Children of Echidna/Typhon like the Gorgon/Hydra/Cerberus etc.
    3. Cheetah. Classic villain also empowered by the God Urzkartaga.
    4. Veronica Cale for the Luthor type
    5. Giganta for her modern brawler
    6. Red Panzer old school brawler
    7. the Bana-Mighdall tribe as both protagonist/antagonist Amazon tribe
    8. Devastation, the Wonder Woman/champion of Cronus and the Titans
    9. Silver Swan could be re-imagined as someone else touched by the powers of an old god, like Cheetah and the Godslayer Dagger(champions of Gods her and Shazam should face)
    10. Trinity/Genocide and others

I didn't really consider groups. I should have mentioned Villainy Inc.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

1) Dr. Psycho............... (more of a tragic, anti-hero character)

2) Inversion, the Inside Out Man

3) Mr. Monster

4) Swamp Thing? We have to see more in issue 36.

5) Egg Fu

6) White Magician

7) Duke of Deception

8) Angle Man

9) Cheetah

10) Veronica Cale

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She doesn't need 10 mediocre villains like Silver Swan, she needs a handful of truly memorable ones. Maybe 10 scores of brainwashed Silver Swans working for Paula Von Gunther and Captain Nazi, aliens from a super technologically advanced species native from the planetary system of Aldebaran, would make interesting antagonists for Wonder Woman and the Amazons.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@muffin_sangria: Doctor Cyber is pretty much a female lex luthor, the baroness is more so a magic/occult based prep master.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

gamiz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alot of people are saying cheetah what are some great things shes done?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By dshipp17

@gamiz7 said:

It's because in every media situation outside of comic books DC usually features Cheetah as Wonder Woman's villain. Take the SuperFriends, for example; this has been the case since SuperFriends.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wonderwoman has like 4-5 really good villains so I'll do a top 5 instead.

1. Ares

2. Cheetah

3. Circe

4. First Born

5. Dr. psycho ( horrible name by the way )

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wonderwoman has like 4-5 really good villains so I'll do a top 5 instead.

1. Ares

2. Cheetah

3. Circe

4. First Born

5. Dr. psycho ( horrible name by the way )

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@muffin_sangria: Doctor Cyber is pretty much a female lex luthor, the baroness is more so a magic/occult based prep master.

I was using "like Lex Luthor" pretty loosely. Basically just to mean a normalish human who's super resourceful enough to take on a super being like Wonder Woman. Personally I think there should only be one of them in the central rouges although the others can still show up a little. The more I think about it I'd rather have Cassandra take on this role. I'd like to have at least one of the villains from the current run stick around for the long haul. Although Strife will probably be sticking around too.

@gamiz7 said:

Basically just because she's just a character so deeply associated with Wonder Woman that you can't not have her on the list. She's basically just a brawler, but that's not always a bad thing. I do think that there should only be one in the main rouges though which is why I left out Giganta from my list.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jphulk26

Next would be Circe and Cheetah, and Doctor Psycho. Those three are pretty obvious to be included so no real need for explanation.

After that I'd like to see Angle Man, and Silver Swan as a couple of more tradition super villains for Wonder Woman to go against.

Next I think Diana could use a sort of female Lex Luthor as one of her main villains. This could either be Baroness von Gunther, Veronica Cale, or Diana's half-sister Cassandra assuming she survives this current run. I'd say that one one of them should be in the main rouges roster since they all fill the same role, but the others could show up too.

Next I think we need a couple godlike villains from outside of Greek mythology. Other Greek villains should definitely show up, but for the main rouges I'm looking for some more representation from outside of it. First I'd pick someone from Judo-Christian mythology. There are plenty of demons, or angles that could be picked from, but I'm going with Neron since in the comics he actually killed Wonder Woman at one point.

Second godlike villain would be Queen of Fables. I'm not totally sure what exactly she was in the post-crisis comics but I'd upgrade her to be a full on god belonging to a pantheon on fairy-tail creatures similar to the "True Fae" of the game "Changlings: The Lost." There are a lot of similarities to be drawn between Wonder Woman and the Disney Princess and I think having her fight "The Evil Queen" is the best way to do it.

I'd also like to see some more villains from Norse, Hindu, Egyptian, and other mythologies as well but none of them are making the cut of main rouges either.

And finally I'd like to see the Duke of Deception come back as one of Wonder Woman's central rouges. He's been out of continuity for a while so there's lots of room to reinvent him as needed. I'd still like to see his connection to Ares, but I might focus a bit more on his extra-terrestrial nature. I think every good rouges gallery needs at least one good alien on it.

Also just to cheat I'd like to throw out a few honorable mentions which would be; Giganta, Apollo, Doctor Cyber, Devestation, and Queen Cleo.

TL;DR

1. Ares

2. Circe

3. Cheetah

4. Doctor Psycho

5. Baroness von Gunter, Veronica Cane, or Cassandra

6. Silver Swan

7.Angle Man

8. Neron

9. Queen of Fables

10. Duke of Deception

No love for Alkyone and The Circle. She´s Wonder Woman´s most original villain in my opinion.

The Crow Children should be revisited.

No big fans of Simone´s run I´m guessing.

To me there is only a few I find compelling at all. I only choose ones I can see general audiences excepting in a movie or animated series or TV show, otherwise I just ignore the character. Ones that modern, general and mass audiences can accept. No Egg Fu or Angle Man I´m sorry.

Main Villians, archenemies, Behind the scenes threats like Lex Luthor, Joker, Riddler Braniac etc

1. Ares

2. Alkyone and The Circle

3. Strife (Although very close to Ares and not very marketable for MA or GA)

4. Venessa Cale

5. Dr. Psycho

These are basically the villains I´ll have most stories revolve around.

Tricksters, secondary villains

6. Circe

7. Maxwell Lord and The Omac, I will repackage him as Brother Eye. A billionaire who creates a super intelligent defense system orbiting the Earth that protects it against metahumans, but he uses a chip to connect his brain to the computer and it ends up driving him insane, making him see everywhere potential threats to the Earth, even humanity itself.

8. The Crow Children. Children of Ares or Hades depending on the story, who start as sweet children but can turn into monstrous demonic creatures.

9. Baroness Von Gunther

Monster Villains Like Doomsday

10. The Gorgon Sisters

11. Cheetah

12. Genocide

Minions of main antagonist

13. Silver Swan - Created by Veronica Cale

14. Omacs created by Brother Eye

There you have a good mix of mythological, and scifi based characters with the right threat level for Wonder Woman.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

1. Cheetah

2. Ares

3. Circe

4. First Born

5. Dr. Psycho

6. Giganta

7. Doctor Poison

8. Doctor Cyber (sheesh she sure has a lot of villains that are Doctors

9. Genocide

10. Silver Swan

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like a lot of people kinda brush off Silver Swan. I feel like she could be something akin to Mr. Freeze for Wonder Woman. Meaning she could really go from a slightly pointless, just ok villain to a really great one. Imagine she's a jewish dancer. She's gorgeous but she's kidnapped by an insane neo-nazi. He tortures her and does experiments on her. He dips her in silver but all of it washes off except where it covered scars. The doctor prized her over all his other creations, of which there were many. She was his trophy, his Silver Swan. When he's discovered and his hideout is raided he gets away and she vows to kill him and anyone who gets in her way. But do to torture she's prone to extensive bouts of violence and she now views men in a less than honorable light.

I feel like something like that could work, it'd just have to be the right creator. So I guess my 10 would be:

Silver Swan

Strife

Duke of Deception

Cheetah (I'd personally like to shift more towards a costumed not completely furry cheetah though)

Circe

First Born

Dr. Poison (maybe not one of her best enemies but I feel like interesting things could be done with the character)

Genocide

Alkyone

Vandal Savage (I know he's not one of her rogues but I've kinda seen him as the ultimate counterpoint to the feminism/equality wonder woman claims to uphold, he's very violent and just most interpretations I've seen he's very much a men first kind guy if you know what I mean)

Then of course you have the greek gods who I echo many other opinions when I say they're great as wild carts rather than straight up friends or enemies.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doctor Psycho

Veronica Cale

The Citizenry Space Amazons, the Bana, Alkyone, Magala and any other rogue Amazons

Silver Swan

Circe

Gods and monsters

Nazis

Villainy Inc.

THEM!

Angle Man

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.