Who Is Wonder Woman: A Look At The Character Pre and Post New 52

• 104 results
#101 Edited by brettjett (54 posts) - - Show Bio

@slugg22 said:

I'm disappointed that her origin shifted Not only because of the implication that WW needed a males help to become the ultimate warrior, but also because, to an extent, it has detracted from her totally unque origin story.

Hey hey, now!

Don't you start that femi-nazi garbage about men! So what there was a man doing her training!?! She was also trained by women (amazons).

But regardless of what I just ^said, Ares is not really a "man". He's a god. A spirit. An allegory.

'"Wonder Woman herself is still a strong, dependable, self reliant, capable woman. I don't think it matters so much where she got those traits as long as she's shown possessing them."

Hey Ryan. I'd say that's the right attitude to have in regards to WW's abilities.

But I must inform you that WHERE she got them makes significant differences in the symbolic implications. And in this case, the Ares-as-trainer is VERY true to the aspect of the WW mythos that is related to her core: "Force adapted to Love".

"This was a great and incredibly insightful article. Enjoyable and educational read. Those links are definitely something that I'll be checking"

MERCY,

If you think this article & its links are educational, you should check out mine:

https://viewer.zoho.com/docs/ndcOke

and

http://www.worldofsuperheroes.com/exclusive-news/who-is-wonder-woman-by-brett-jett/

'"Sara seems to forget a fundamental change to the character and her mythos: Pre-New 52, she was raised in a feminist utopia....Post-New 52, it is completely different..The Amazons are somewhat closer to the myths and as such, villains..are amoral and barbaric..To this day, Azzarello still has not explained from whom Wonder-Woman got her values..."

Well, Darthshap....I think what Azzarello is saying (and he's absolutely correct, Marstonian-wise) is that Diana got her values from Diana (herself).

The idea behind the character wasn't that she HAD to have gotten her values from her Amazon sisters. The point of the character is that she is The ONE. The one who holds to the Marston family value of stepping in to stop bullies.

She hates bullies, and so does the Marston family. Its naturally built into her character.

#102 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1097 posts) - - Show Bio

i think the writer got it reversed she was hardened by the amazons and received extra training from Ares. but it was through his actions she found mercy meaning through man she found "mercy". It's also interesting she found a father in her uncle. i thought it ironic and symbolic in a way. I am in love with the new wonder woman.

Ares isn't her uncle. He's her brother.

#103 Posted by Akindoodle (971 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91: But she treats him like an uncle, he acts like an uncle and perhaps, it is less creepy for us all to see him as such. Imagine being thousands of years younger than your big brother. See? How'd you even relate to him? I'm fifteen years older than my baby bro and I guess he'll be pretty freaked out by the time he's my age. He'll probably treat me like an aunt instead of sister

#104 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1097 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91: But she treats him like an uncle, he acts like an uncle and perhaps, it is less creepy for us all to see him as such. Imagine being thousands of years younger than your big brother. See? How'd you even relate to him? I'm fifteen years older than my baby bro and I guess he'll be pretty freaked out by the time he's my age. He'll probably treat me like an aunt instead of sister

Well, they're gods. I'd imagine a bunch of them are centuries apart. Obviously they wouldn't treat each other like what we'd expect from siblings, but that doesn't change the fact that they are.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.