Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Who do you think is the best Wonder Woman artist?

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I googled for this topic and was surprised when we didn't already have one of these threads here. If we do could you give me a link? Moving on forthe time being I'm curious who you think draws the best Wonder Woman. Brian Bolland gets my vote.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for captaintightpants12
    CaptainTightpants12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Cliff Chiang.

His Wonder Woman is strong, tasteful, and looks like she could seriously throw down, while still maintaining that she is both beautiful and sexy, without making her look like a stripper.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dshipp17

Mike Deodato, followed by Ed Benes, followed by Terry Dodson; Mike Deodato set a standard, though, and Wonder Woman's costume should have steadily evolved from his version into a costume similar to Dejah Thoris at this point, but that should have happened by or before 2001 already, and Wonder Woman should be displaying frequent nude scenes like Tarot Witch; Wonder Woman should have been elevated to mature status already; instead, Wonder Woman's costume has gone backwards or stalled; the current depiction is definitely a step backwards; as I said, Chiang is a good artist, but his style is not the best suited for comic books, particularly Wonder Woman; with Finch coming aboard, I feel better and resubscribed, but Wonder Woman's costume has a long way to go; Finch could prove to be a good transition and complete nearly 2 decades of missed costume evolution in a matter of a few issues; Wonder Woman would definitely work well with sandals. I definitely have some good ideas as a writer, as I presented in another thread.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By JakeN7

@pperspectiveandreality: There definitely is one, because I remember posting in it. I'll give the same answer though: Phil Noto.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArchiZoom

Cliff Chiang. He's an exceptional storyteller in my opinion, his art is clean and straightforward, easy on the eye. His characters are very attractive, modern, vibrant, fun and stylish, he's got a flair for fashion. I'm actually so obsessed with him right now, I'm chasing everything he's ever done. His Wonder Woman is perfect. He met the brief, Chiang is a very unique, talented artist. She's a tall strong beautiful woman, her hair is perfect, the bangle she wears on her upper arm is just the right thickness. I'm a very happy customer. Chiang nails all the little details and that's why he's so great.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not Jim Lee and not Cliff Chiang

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By LyraFay

Cliff Chiang. He's an exceptional storyteller in my opinion, his art is clean and straightforward, easy on the eye. His characters are very attractive, modern, vibrant, fun and stylish, he's got a flair for fashion. I'm actually so obsessed with him right now, I'm chasing everything he's ever done. His Wonder Woman is perfect. He met the brief, Chiang is a very unique, talented artist. She's a tall strong beautiful woman, her hair is perfect, the bangle she wears on her upper arm is just the right thickness. I'm a very happy customer. Chiang nails all the little details and that's why he's so great.

No Caption Provided

I also like how he doesn't sexualise her which is good especially how women look in comics today.

DianaXKal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony Daniel

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

No Caption Provided

Cliff Chiang.

His Wonder Woman is strong, tasteful, and looks like she could seriously throw down, while still maintaining that she is both beautiful and sexy, without making her look like a stripper.

Agreed. I love his Wonder Woman.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay: exactly, despite wearing the same skimpy outfit, she looks like she's actually wearing clothes. I also like that she's big and strong but not sinewy and her face is frankly the prettiest I've seen. He does justice to Women, and Men. Chiang is more than an artist, he's a designer.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super-Wonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Super-Wonder
    No Caption Provided

Adam Hughes is my favorite Wonder Woman artist.

I loved Brian Bolland's covers too, so precise and his Wonder Woman was beautiful!

Cliff Chaing's style is very dry and his story telling is largely lacking in dynamics. I don't find his women to be particularly attractive, but I do like the proportions on Wonder Woman. She seems tall and capable. While some of his covers are impressive, his design sense is infinitesimal compared to J.H. Williams III

I tend to like Wonder Woman with an athletic build and neither Chaing or Daniel seem to achieve that. Adam Hughes does that in every piece, making her physically powerful without compromising beauty or feminine aesthetic.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pperspectiveandreality: She's a little too thin and sexy for my liking. In my opinion Wonder Woman shouldn't be the archetype of a desirable Woman but the archetype of a powerful independent female

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Tony S. Daniel

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dmessmer

I'd narrow it down to four, each with his own very distinct strengths:

1. Darwyn Cooke - I absolutely love his style in general, and his Wonder Woman is just amazing.
    2. Perez - really captured the soft (in terms of features, not physique), innocent, youthful version of the character perfectly.
    3. Chiang - I agree with everything everyone has said praising him.
    4. Hughes - sometimes he verges on over-sexualizing her, but in general his versions are strong and feminine.

I'd give Tony S. Daniel an honorable mention. He's done a nice job so far on Superman/Wonder Woman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.