Which Actor Would You Pick For ARES

Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) 5 months, 12 days ago

Poll: Which Actor Would You Pick For ARES (10 votes)

Jeffrey Dean Morgan 20%
Edward Norton 10%
Viggo Mortison 30%
Mads Mikklson 20%
joaquin phoenix 10%
Michael Fassbender 10%
Vincent Cassel 0%

These are my top picks for dream cast of Ares:

Why:

Jeffrey Dean Morgan, has a wicked badboy charisma and if they went the direction of making Ares come back to the modern world as an Arms Dealer, with a twisted sense of morality, I can´t think of a better fit.

Edward Norton: My view of how Ares should be played is like a psychopathic spoilt brat who should have been drowned at birth. I also think he should take on a very different persona in the modern world. So when the film starts he´s more like a Roman Emperor, but in the modern world, he takes on a distinct personality as an arms dealer. No one does duel roles like Edward Norton.

Viggo Mortison, simple, great actor, looks like a warrior. Can do or play just about anything. Would love Viggo as Ares...

Mads Mikklson

Again that badboy look. Could see him playing a dangerous cold villain, but giving him a sympathetic edge.

joaquin phoenix,

Joaquin Pheonix was my pick for Lex Luthor a whole year before he was up for the role.I thought he´d be brilliant. He can play a real emotional scarred villain, that you know still has to be stopped. Again another who should have been drowned from birth, but this time for his own good.

Michael Fassbender, my least favorite pick personally, but still, would love to see him try. No one does intense on the verge of out of control anger like Fassbender. Dude seems like he´s a maniac.

Last but not least, I give you exhibit F, Vincent Cassel, could be the slickest creep of all time as Ares. Someone as seductive to Wonder Woman as he is her mortal enemy. If you want someone who oozes with unsavory charisma Vincent Cassel is your man.

DC´s Ares the best villain than will never make it to the silver screen, but we can always dream. Here are some of his best lines.

Leave your choices:

#1 Edited by CaptainTightpants12 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

Since I'm loving the New 52 Ares, I'll go with John Hurt.

#2 Posted by RustyRoy (11874 posts) - - Show Bio

Jeff Bridges.

#3 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys into New 52 are jokers. No offense, but you´re gonna waste wonder woman greatest villain and make him her mentor. Do you want WW to fail. there is no way and I mean no way, whether you like or don´t like WW new 52 that you can in your head believe that it would work as a mainstream movie.

Sure we could have a New 52 WW tv show, but for a movie you need a Pre-.New 52 wonder woman and or Ares. I really could see those choices working for an epic TV show, but guys get serious for a movie Ares has to be a straight up badass villain, not some moppy old man whose lost his way. IT WILL FAIL. Mainstream audiences will just think its crap, without a lot of character development, which is where TV will work for new 52 WW.

#4 Edited by Saren (25559 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26 said:

Sure we could have a New 52 WW tv show, but for a movie you need a Pre-.New 52 wonder woman and or Ares. I really could see those choices working for an epic TV show, but guys get serious for a movie Ares has to be a straight up badass villain, not some moppy old man whose lost his way. IT WILL FAIL. Mainstream audiences will just think its crap, without a lot of character development, which is where TV will work for new 52 WW.

Because Wonder Woman's villains are so famous and pivotal in the public consciousness that mainstream audiences are actually going to care which version is used.

#5 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren - Its precisely because WW villains are not mainstream that you have to have a strong villain that makes sense to her character, to start off her film career. Ares is WW easiest to understand villain for mainstream audiences. How does Appollo or The First Born directly relate to wonder woman as an archnemisis the way Joker does to Batman or Superman to Lex Luthor? they don´t. WW vs The God of War makes sense. Ares isn´t even my favorite WW villain, but the New 52 storyline, as nice as it is in comics and I really think the characters could work for a TV show, would be almost impossible to reduce to a 130 minute script, and engage audiences the way that story deserves. In a film Ares is best to be a badguy, not a mentor, it will just be confusing, having the sun god as a villain, and then having the god of war just in the background. There is no literary reference to Apollo or any of the other Gods apart from Hades and Ares being actual villains in greek myth and popular culture. I could almost bet my life that if the New 52 storyline was ever put to film it would fail big time. It would be unfair to all Wonder Woman fans old and new. I´m not saying don´t make her daughter of Zeus, that could work although I´m not a big fan, but as for the other stuff in New 52, has to be a TV show to work. Think about it logically. But anyway thanks for commenting and if you have a logical rebuttle let me know.

#6 Posted by r2datu (630 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic choice if it were to go with a New 52 Ares. I do think that the New 52 version would be better suited to a TV show, or as a supporting character in a long running film series. Having the God of War as one's estranged mentor is certainly an interesting premise and an interesting supporting character which would work well in a movie. I don't see why mainstream audiences would reject such an idea.

However, I would much prefer the classic villainous Ares.

For this role, I would love to see Mads Mikkelsen, especially after seeing his performance on Hannibal. His presense is tremendous as he is both physically intimidating and devious, hiding his savagery with a polished veneer of sophistication.

#7 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@r2datu - I mean, anything is possible, but still, I just would be major dissapointed if I go to a WW movie and see her being buddies with Ares. It would just kill the movie for me. A TV series on the other hand could shape him into a great antihero, where you see all the death and destruction he caused when he was young and his indifference and jadedness to all that now. Added to that who would you have as a WW villian instead, if you have Ares as mentor? Who would be a better choice from her New 52 villians. Not one of them are even as iconic as Cheater, let alone Ares. Sorry that is the problem with Azz´s run, it ain´t really a superhero story and therefore I think in a movie where people go expecting a superhero film and are not familiar with changes in the comic, may divide them, split down the middle. Truly I would say 5% of people are expecting a WW movie to follow New 52 which are a nieche market of comic fans. It will please them. Then you´ve got the swing audience who don´t really care, but will just see a film if its what they are expecting, say 65% to 70%, then there are those who know WW enough to know she´s a superhero who is supposed to do superhero things and some of them who´ve watched the animated movie will know Ares as her main baddie, I would give that between 30 to 40%. They see him as her mentor they´re going to be confused and hate the movie pretty much no matter what. I just think as I said New 52 is a great one off elseworld about WW, but as a film it stinks.

#8 Posted by RustyRoy (11874 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: What is your problem? You said pick an actor for Ares, you didn't say which Ares it has to be.

#9 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

Rustyroy - I´m just having a discussion. Its all in good spirit, whenever I state my view I´m not saying I´m right, i´m just stating my opinion. don´t take it personally, I just don´t think in a movie Ares New-52 works. As I said I think he´s brilliant for a TV show. Also please I´m interested in all your opinions New 52 or otherwise, so keep them coming. I will keep telling you my opinion and keep giving me yours, as long as we don´t insult one another I think its cool, no?

#10 Posted by MaccyD (3921 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: You know people have seen Clash of the titans, 300, Jason and the Argonauts, Percy Jackson and Xena: Warrior Princess among others. A Greek myth action won't shock the heck out of them.

#12 Edited by BloodyNights (180 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally liked old Ares quite a bit, he was one of my favorite characters from New 52 Wonder Woman. I did find it strange though the he seemed to be on her side, after I previously watched the Wonder Woman animated movie. which I'll be honest, I didn't like him as a villain in it, even before reading the new 52.. Also seeing Ares in Injustice as more of a villain/evil character made the transition a little akward. I don't know much about previous Ares incarnations. But I think New 52 Ares could work in a movie. I saw him as sort of a father figure to Diana, and I think he could play that in the movie pretty well.

Unfortunately...besides really big names, I don't know any actors that I think could fit the role. Not the biggest actor buff around lol. Though John Hurt, does look the part pretty well. I actually wouldn't want to see him as a villain, mostly for potential friends who'd like the movie, who would want to get into the comic book. I don't know why Apollo, or the First Born wouldn't be decent villains. Sure it isn't ARES The God of War, as a major antagonist. But a lot of movies introduce villains we've never heard of, or cared about and they have worked.

#13 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd said:

@jphulk26: You know people have seen Clash of the titans, 300, Jason and the Argonauts, Percy Jackson and Xena: Warrior Princess among others. A Greek myth action won't shock the heck out of them.

Yeah but I think people are expecting a superhero movie with wonder woman film. One that can fit in and compliment Batman and Superman movies, not a woman trying to save an infant in some Sandman style vertigo movie. Just look at Watchmen, Sin City and those kind of movies which are even better graphics than the current wonder woman series, and the didn´t set the world on fire in the box office. Make WW movie that is really some indie vertigo style Sandmanesque comic movie, expect failure. Even if it is kind of good. And sorry WW current series is no way as good as Watchmen or Sin City comics, and the movie won´t be better or more friendly General Audiences either. It would be a massive fail. But again just my opinion.

I personally liked old Ares quite a bit, he was one of my favorite characters from New 52 Wonder Woman. I did find it strange though the he seemed to be on her side, after I previously watched the Wonder Woman animated movie. which I'll be honest, I didn't like him as a villain in it, even before reading the new 52.. Also seeing Ares in Injustice as more of a villain/evil character made the transition a little akward. I don't know much about previous Ares incarnations. But I think New 52 Ares could work in a movie. I saw him as sort of a father figure to Diana, and I think he could play that in the movie pretty well.

Unfortunately...besides really big names, I don't know any actors that I think could fit the role. Not the biggest actor buff around lol. Though John Hurt, does look the part pretty well. I actually wouldn't want to see him as a villain, mostly for potential friends who'd like the movie, who would want to get into the comic book. I don't know why Apollo, or the First Born wouldn't be decent villains. Sure it isn't ARES The God of War, as a major antagonist. But a lot of movies introduce villains we've never heard of, or cared about and they have worked.

Thanks for your comments. I have to say though, I think you´re in a minority of those who´ve seen the WW animated film that didn´t like Ares. Might be wrong.

@maccyd said:

#14 Posted by BloodyNights (180 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26:

I didn't really care for his look, and felt he was really one dimensional. Sure he is the God of War, but he played up his title way too much, and I found him to be pretty cliche. Which is why I liked New 52 Ares better, he wasn't just some guy who was trying to start stuff for no other reason than to get more power, and to be a douche.

#15 Edited by darknightspideyfanboy (1225 posts) - - Show Bio

@captaintightpants12 said:

this but when he start fighting wonder woman he transform into this

#16 Posted by TDK_1997 (14648 posts) - - Show Bio

I must say that I would prefer a lot more to see the New 52 version of Ares in a TV Show or a movie.He would look a lor more awesome if he was some old man who may not seem as a big threat but in the end he is actually the god of war.

#17 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@tdk_1997 said:

I must say that I would prefer a lot more to see the New 52 version of Ares in a TV Show or a movie.He would look a lor more awesome if he was some old man who may not seem as a big threat but in the end he is actually the god of war.

Again, you are then saying you want the movie to fail. Villains in movies who are younger sell better than ones over the age of 50. FACT. As for those saying Ares is one-dimensional, so are a lot of great villains. Thats why they´re villains. All one has do is think for themselves and create an Ares that has an interesting back story and is more 3-dimensional for the movie. Just like their are many versions of our favorite villains Joker, Lex Luthor etc so can there be of Ares. I just think its rather naive to think, just because he was one-note in one animated feature that the whole concept of Ares being a villain is defunct. As for New 52 Ares, to be honest I´ve been rather kind about him. Absolutely would fail in general audiences. I can´t state it enough. A one-dimensional ares who wants to burn the world to the ground, and is young, cunning and charming, will sell better than an old, not sure of himself, grumpy old man. And I keep asking people who say this, who do you have as the villain in a Wonder Woman movie if not Ares or any of her pre-new 52 villains? before suggesting we take Ares out of that picture can someone tell me who they think would be a better idea for a villain from the current run? Anyway get back to me cause I seriously don´t understand.

#18 Posted by TDK_1997 (14648 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26 said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Again, you are then saying you want the movie to fail. Villains in movies who are younger sell better than ones over the age of 50. FACT. As for those saying Ares is one-dimensional, so are a lot of great villains. Thats why they´re villains. All one has do is think for themselves and create an Ares that has an interesting back story and is more 3-dimensional for the movie. Just like their are many versions of our favorite villains Joker, Lex Luthor etc so can there be of Ares. I just think its rather naive to think, just because he was one-note in one animated feature that the whole concept of Ares being a villain is defunct. As for New 52 Ares, to be honest I´ve been rather kind about him. Absolutely would fail in general audiences. I can´t state it enough. A one-dimensional ares who wants to burn the world to the ground, and is young, cunning and charming, will sell better than an old, not sure of himself, grumpy old man. And I keep asking people who say this, who do you have as the villain in a Wonder Woman movie if not Ares or any of her pre-new 52 villains? before suggesting we take Ares out of that picture can someone tell me who they think would be a better idea for a villain from the current run? Anyway get back to me cause I seriously don´t understand.

Can you show me evidence that this so called "fact" is actually true because from what you're saying I can only come up with the conclusion that that is only a suggestion.Why would a younger actor sell better than an older actor who probably is the better from the both in acting skills.And the other thing is that most of the times the audience gets annoyed of younger overconfident villains who seek only destruction and think that they are the best thing ever and that everybody else is below them.

And another thing man,everyone has an opinion,you know.You may think that a younger Ares would be better but I think that an older one will be way better,no reason to be so striking with your response.

#19 Posted by Super-Wonder (97 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26 said:

Again, you are then saying you want the movie to fail.

lol

#20 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997 - Heres how you know, look at main stream blockbusters and see how many of them have villains over the age of 50 alone as the central villain. Even if you have an older villain, they still have younger villains being the centerpieces. In fact in recent memory the only one I can think of is Magneto and Lord Of The Rings. The fact is WW is not a proven brand and you have to give it as much chance to succeed as possible.

Having an old villian in Ares = Fail over young slick villain that males want to be and women want to sleep with, makes more sense, from a marketing point of view. Also even if the old guy is good loads of people who wanted to see their favorite young stud in as villain in the movie will give it a pass. We live unfortunately in an age prejudice world. WW is already a risk, why give her make it even more risky? Old Ares villain = fail-

Having Ares as mentor = fail, because he´s her greatest villain, and most easily translatable and understandable in terms of the central conflict with WW. I´d even say making Cheetah or Circe main villains will be a terrible error in judgement for the first film. So I´m not just reducing this to her New 52 villains. Why? Nearly every successful DC franchise has started off with the Heroes archnemisis in there first film.

See Batman circa 1989 and original Superman vs Green Lantern. Green lantern made the mistake of following the Nolan formula, lets save archnemisis for sequel because everyone would be excited. Nope, because no one knew who the hell Sinestro was so there was nothing to be excited about. The reason people wanted to see Nolans Joker is because it was so different in tone from the first movies and they knew from the 1989 movie that Joker was a great foil for Batman, hence the excitement. If you flat out take WW most obvious and easy to understand archnemesis your setting yourself up for failure.

Circe is often mentioned as a good idea for villain. Well they tried super heroine vs sorceress, the movie was called Supergirl. Wasn´t a great formula. Didn´t sell. You know what does sell Female action heroines vs The Big monster or Psychopath alah Alien or Silence of The lambs. Make Ares either the big bad monstress evil or manipulative sick psychopath = lesser risk.

As mentor Ares is wasted for all the above reasons mentioned. Again, who will Wonder Womans villain be in a Superhero movie. Not some weird, soap opera about gods and a superpowered baby sitter. The latter great TV concept, horrible film concept. So I can only assume you want to take elements of New 52 storyline and translate them into Superhero actioner; who then of the villains would work in a live-action movie from Azzerrelo´s run? Please can you tell me, because I am very curious. It can´t be First Born. You get a villain called the First Born in a Wonder Woman movie, he could be the greatest villain ever and it still wouldn´t sell. It has no punch to it and no immediate, ok I get what this is about. Thats what WW needs for that first film. An immediate, hey I click with this, she´s fighting The God Of War, or she´s fighting the Nazis or even some Cheetah lady would make more sense than First Born. First Born of what? Whats threatening about being Born First? This is what goes through the head of people who don´t really care about these characters and just care about being entertained. Especially people into the action genre. As I said I WOULD BET MY WHOLE LIFE SAVINGS that WW New 52 story line would be an epic fail at the box office, but may well be a smash as a TV series, where people are more likely to give it chance or a few weeks to kick in and understand whats going on.

#21 Edited by BloodyNights (180 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26:

I think that you are just set on Ares being the main villain. It's not like a mentor who is older hasn't worked in the past. Rocky was popular, so was Karate Kid :P

But seriously, I don't get why introducing First Born, or just about any villain, who is grand scale enough wouldn't work. Marvel introduces crap villains in their movies all the time, sure people don't remember who they are besides maybe Loki. They all do well. Personally I think changing the formula up some will help. Other wise it will be just another generic super hero movie, starring a hot chick in a bikini fighting, which will just basically make people think sex, and violence sell. Which it does, but won't help WW's image.

Also...it looks like you are the minority in this opinion so far. New 52 Ares could do well, given the right director/story writer.

#22 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@bloodynights - nah mate, looking at WW New 52 sales compared to her animated movie I think you are in the minority. Also I didn´t say Wonder Woman shouldn´t have a mentor. Her mentor should be her mother, or Philipus or Artemis or any number of Amazons who have traditionally been her mentor. Even Zeus could be, but Ares as villain is an easier sell than any of her other villains. Please tell me who you think would be a better idea. I´m talking about mainstream audiences, not myself. As for Marvel, sorry but Iron Man sold because of Iron Man as some witty character... It was the humor that sold it... Also one of the biggest complaints about the franchise is precisely the lack of a compelling villain. Captain America had Red Skull archnemisis, Thor had Loki Archnemisis... The least popular Hulk, tried to save archnemsis for second movie, didn´t work... X-men Magneto archnemisis... I´m not saying there is no chance, but Hollywood already think WW a big risk, why take more risk by having old age villains or making her most well known villain her mentor. This isn´t a slight at anyone who thinks they should do that, but quite frankly as much as I think John Hurt would nail the role, that would be a massive and illogical risk to take in WW first outing in my PERSONAL OPINION. Don´t take offence. disagreement is a healthy part of life.

#23 Posted by BloodyNights (180 posts) - - Show Bio
@jphulk26 said:

@bloodynights - nah mate, looking at WW New 52 sales compared to her animated movie I think you are in the minority. Also I didn´t say Wonder Woman shouldn´t have a mentor. Her mentor should be her mother, or Philipus or Artemis or any number of Amazons who have traditionally been her mentor. Even Zeus could be, but Ares as villain is an easier sell than any of her other villains. Please tell me who you think would be a better idea. I´m talking about mainstream audiences, not myself. As for Marvel, sorry but Iron Man sold because of Iron Man as some witty character... It was the humor that sold it... Also one of the biggest complaints about the franchise is precisely the lack of a compelling villain. Captain America had Red Skull archnemisis, Thor had Loki Archnemisis... The least popular Hulk, tried to save archnemsis for second movie, didn´t work... X-men Magneto archnemisis... I´m not saying there is no chance, but Hollywood already think WW a big risk, why take more risk by having old age villains or making her most well known villain her mentor. This isn´t a slight at anyone who thinks they should do that, but quite frankly as much as I think John Hurt would nail the role, that would be a massive and illogical risk to take in WW first outing in my PERSONAL OPINION. Don´t take offence. disagreement is a healthy part of life.

Just want to point out, general audiences don't know who Wonder Woman's main villain is. I know I didn't, and just about anyone you ask that isn't well versed in comics, doesn't know who it is either. Who could blame them really. Most peoples knowledge of her stems from the Justice League cartoon. Sure it showed Ares as a manipulator, but he didn't have a huge roll. Cheetah however did, and also Hades made an appearance who played a somewhat similar roll to the Wonder Woman movie Ares. You could make her villain anyone really. People would care only about an epic grand plot/action sequences to tie it all together.

#24 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@bloodynights - Great points. I agree to a degree. Still what I´m talking about is an easy sell and in concept ARES is by far the most compelling Wonder Woman villain. The concept has instant and understandable chemistry. Saying WW´s facing a Warecheetah. Even if people eventually come around to the idea, I still think its a majorly difficult sell. Saying she´s facing The Sun God. Again what? Why would wonder woman face a sun god? What makes a sun god villainess. You´d have to literally see the movie or have an overly stated trailer and synopsis to get why. Saying WW is facing the God Of War. Bam got it. Makes sense. So even if people don´t know her villains they will know when she gets a film who they plan to have as a villain and if its any of her New 52 villains I think they´ll be a lot of confusion. All I´m trying to say is Ares is the least risky villain to use. Once you say its Ares or you allude to it being Ares, people will have some idea what they are getting into. Also if it is true that most general audiences don´t know WW main villain is Ares, its also true that alot more people know Ares as her main villain than any one else apart from Cheetah. So yeah even though WW villains aren´t well known, clearly amongst her collection of villains the ones that are most recognizable as her villains and who people who are invested in the DC universe know, is basically Ares. Need proof? who´s in Injustice Gods Among Us, Cheetah? Nope. Its Ares. How much did that game sell. A hell of alot more than WW New 52. Again thats a mass of people who are likely going to be the back bone of the success of DC´s movies expecting to see Ares as villain who are likely to be confused seeing him as anything else, same goes with her animated feature. He´s her most marketable villain thats why in nearly all media surrounding her recently Ares has been depicted as her central villain.

#25 Posted by Super-Wonder (97 posts) - - Show Bio
@jphulk26 said:
Circe is often mentioned as a good idea for villain. Well they tried super heroine vs sorceress, the movie was called Supergirl. Wasn´t a great formula. Didn´t sell.

Is that the only reason?

#26 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@super-wonder

No it isn´t. But again its about risk. If Wonder woman is character you believe deserves a film and successful franchise are you willing to risk it. Magic characters vs super powered warriors is kind of weird because they never really get to fight eachother. thats the problem with the formula. People want to see the Badguy fight the goodguy in an epic battle at the end. Circe doesn´t provide that threat and trust me I really like Circe. I would love her as a villain in a wonder woman movie, but only with someone that WW can actually fight or its not worth it. Also I must add unlike many I´m actually a fan of Supergirl, I can see why it failed, but I also always enjoyed the movie. For me my whole point of this debate I´ve been having is not that I think Ares is the best villain or even my favorite, (Alkyones my fave WW villain) my point is that from a marketting stand point and to give WW a strong foundation, she needs a good, solid, understandable foil that will not divide people. Ares is easily her most marketable and sensible foe in those terms. Trying to get people to buy into a warecheetah or First Born whatever or a Appollo The Sun God, who in public imagination is seen as heroic, or having an old man Ares rather than a sexy young leading man in the role, is just like playing Russian Roullette with a fully loaded gun for a possible franchise, when you don´t have to. Hell even the Nazis period piece would be better at least thats easily digestable. As for Circe the problem I have with her is as stated, but she´s a great villain and I hope she´ll make it to big screen one day and to be honest I don´t see that ever happening if WB try and depict New 52 WW or don´t start off with a strong villain like Ares with an easily understandable angle. Hell, just look at all the fanmade trailers of WW, nearly all have Ares as badguy. That should say something about the expectations for the movie.

#27 Posted by Super-Wonder (97 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: I guess what I'm driving at by asking you that question is that you sited one reason as the failure of a movie which is based on opinion and not a fact. I would say that the movie isn't well received or wasn't that successful was because it just wasn't that good, for a multitude of reasons.

You make a lot of interesting points about marketing and general expectations that are more than fair, their logical and good. Aside from all the expectations and what villain should be featured, it has to be good. Better than Man of Steel in characterization and theme. Truly, I believe any villain will work as long as it's good.

Just to touch on Ares for a second, if you're going for the trilogy thing, I would save the best for last and have Ares as the third film, perhaps run him as a subplot though the preceding movies for an epic and climactic third act to the series.

#28 Posted by ZhuRong (3132 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Brown...he wouldnt have a problem smacking Diana around

#29 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@ super-wonder - I guess you could save Ares for last. Personally i´d save Genocide for last. I think in any successful Superhero franchise apart from "Iron Man" the only one I can think of, they always start with archnemesis. I think for WW i would be a big risk not to start with Ares because of this. X-Men, Batman 1989, Superman 80s, Captain America AND thor recently, Spiderman. All started with their perceived big bads. What Nolan did was great, but we must not think that applies to any superhero franchise. Nolans masterstroke of saving the Joker for second movie worked because everyone knew who the Joker was and that he was awesome. Same with Lex luthor in upcoming Man Of Steel. With Wonder Woman, none of her villains have been established as awesome. Considering as well, and i´m sorry to be as sexist as the studios, I think female lead actioners work, but usually when they have a strong iconic villain to play off. I think a female villain for her first outing therefore is a risk. We just have to get people into WW in the easiest most marketable way. Thats why Ares for me, along with a secondary villain is the best bet. I think both should be male as well, save the female villains for later chapters.

#30 Edited by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry in the 4th to last sentence I meant "strong iconic male villain" I´m not saying females can´t be iconic villains at all. they can be some of the greatest villains. Again though, female villains usually work well against male protagonists.

#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Edited by Outside_85 (8540 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say I'd be disappointed if they went with a straight-up adaptation of the post-Crisis Ares, mainly because that version was of the mustache-twirlingly evil sort that lacks depth... kinda like the movie Red Skull.

Besides that, if we go with a young Ares and from the list: Viggo... because he's given a very good interpretation of Satan once, plus he's the Bale kind of actor that lives and breathes the roles he plays.

If we go with an old Ares ala New 52: John Hurt is a good pick... but another suggestion could be Lemmy, since he drinks about as much.

#33 Edited by r2datu (630 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26

I agree with many of your points and as a matter of personal taste, I would much prefer Ares being the villain. However, from an objective standpoint, the tormented mentor angle does work as long as there is a strong villain. Circe, I think would be a great fit for a first movie villain. It would be like a Thor/Loki dynamic on screen with their fight scenes and I think that could work well

I think a way that COULD work if they had a mentor Ares in the movies would be to save him for the second or third film. It's against superhero formula to save the archvillain for the last film, but hey, going against formula certainly isn't a bad thing.

Movie 1: Circe is the main threat with Ares as a supporting character and mentor figure. In an after credits scene, a shadowy figure speaks with a defeated Circe.

Movie 2: A powerhouse like Genocide or First Born (or even Medusa) is the main threat and once again, Ares is a mentor figure. In the after credits scene, the shadowy figure from the last scene is revealed to be Ares.

Movie 3: Ares becomes the main threat and it was revealed that he had been manipulating events from the beginning, being the one who freed Circe from her imprisonment and created Genocide/freed First Born/resurrected Medusa (whoever ends up being the villain of Movie 2).

It'd be an amazing way to set up a villain that hasn't really been done before in a superhero series. Unfortunately, it requires a lot of foresight and planning, which isn't exactly DC's strong suit when it comes to film.

It should also be noted that unlike Superman or Batman or Thor or Captain America, Wonder Woman has several villains with legitimate claim as her archnemesis. Much like Iron Man, she has several characters which for different reasons could be considered her arch enemy.

Ares: Her most powerful enemy and the reason she came into Man's world to become Wonder Woman in post crisis continuity.

Circe: Arguably her most commonly faced enemy and one of her most powerful and serves as an effective "dark mirror".

Cheetah: The most well known of her enemies as well as serving as an effective "dark mirror" character.

#34 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@r2datu - I suppose you know anything can be done, and breaking formula is sometimes a great idea. However I think Ares pre52 Ares has unfairly been portrayed as some mustache twiddling badguy and has not got a fair shake because of stupid writing. He´s always seemed to be there as her obvious badguy and easily most marketable. I do like the mentor angle with him, but as I said I think that works really perfectly for a "TV show". I think the reason you really can´t see what I´m saying is because WW just has been done such a disservice by DC, because they keep trying to fix her. Even in her best runs the focus is always on WW, rather than just saying hey lets flesh out her badguys and see what happens. In Rucka and Simones run I started see ing what Ares obviously should be. I think also alot of people just seem to relate to him as WW obvious badguy. Compare telling people WW many villain is a WareCheetah. Just in general when ever you say that people just take the piss, even though Cheetah is actually a fantastic villain. The reason people think its silly is not because there´s something inherently wrong with Cheetah but rather her placement in the pantheon of Wonder Womans villains. It would be like having Killer Croc as Batmans archvillain and just using this great villian Joker who Batman has far more chemistry with as a sidevillain. People would just be confused. They may not even know why, but they would. In fact Ares has so much chemistry with WW that he even works as her mentor. The two just always gel together. As for Circe, again I like her, but in comparison to Ares, no way. I don´t think she´s as marketable, I don´t think she really is archenemy material, I think she´s not special to Wonder Woman, she´s a sorceress, you know, any number of superheroes, in fact dare I say most, somewhere in their line of villains has a sorceress. No other superhero has a villain who is The God Of War. Also much like the Joker there´s infinite ways you can take him, arms dealer, monster, Roman Emperor Type, just straight up bad ass warrior killing machine, or old tired mentor who reveals himself as villain later. this is why Ares is such a great villian for WW. For me there are 3 villains in Wonder Woman´s rogues gallery that need a lot more attention, Alkyone, Dr. Psycho (Dr. and Ares. These are 3 villains that for me are original to her, have great chemistry, and

#35 Edited by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry got cut off: Dr. Edgar Cizko, all have the ability to be modernized and given many interpretations and just have a chemistry immediately with Wonder Woman. Also of all WW villains Alkyone and Ares especially just seem the least silly from an outsiders perspective. I love alot of her villains, but without knowledge of them, many can construe them rightly as bizarre and or rip offs other villians or just generic. Ares, on the other hand, sure he´s part of the pantheon of Greek Gods, but DC has made him there own both in pre and new 52, and its good. Its an original villian for WW that can be written to be a magnificent foil who could stand next to Lex, Braniac, or Joker without looking out of place at all. He just needs modernization and to be given some extra umpf in a film. Writers need to stop focusing on Wonder Woman and focus on her villains. They will sell her comics. She´s fine 52 version or pre-52. You focus on a hero so much people just get bored because most of the time what really gets us is the badguy.

#36 Posted by TDK_1997 (14648 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: You have indeed proved your point but I still think that people don't care that much if they are about to see a young villan or an old man who most definitely may be even more deadly because of all of the years of experience.People relate and like more younger actors but not particulary young villains.The earnings of a movie won't be decided from just one actor and character in the movie,they would be equally divided withing the whole cast and not just that one actor.Of course that he would be a factor but not that big one.

#37 Posted by Super-Wonder (97 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26 said:

@ super-wonder - I guess you could save Ares for last. Personally i´d save Genocide for last. I think in any successful Superhero franchise apart from "Iron Man" the only one I can think of, they always start with archnemesis. I think for WW i would be a big risk not to start with Ares because of this. X-Men, Batman 1989, Superman 80s, Captain America AND thor recently, Spiderman. All started with their perceived big bads. What Nolan did was great, but we must not think that applies to any superhero franchise. Nolans masterstroke of saving the Joker for second movie worked because everyone knew who the Joker was and that he was awesome. Same with Lex luthor in upcoming Man Of Steel. With Wonder Woman, none of her villains have been established as awesome. Considering as well, and i´m sorry to be as sexist as the studios, I think female lead actioners work, but usually when they have a strong iconic villain to play off. I think a female villain for her first outing therefore is a risk. We just have to get people into WW in the easiest most marketable way. Thats why Ares for me, along with a secondary villain is the best bet. I think both should be male as well, save the female villains for later chapters.

Yeah I see what you're saying, interesting points.

#38 Edited by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

Viggo would be super cool.

#39 Posted by Muffin_Sangria (536 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Ares should be the villain for the first movie for three reasons.

1. He's one of her classic central villains, arguably her arch nemesis.

2. He's intelligent, malevolent, and a powerhouse. The movie really needs someone like that to sell people on why Wonder Woman is awesome.

3. He's recognizable beyond the comics. Name recognition can go a long way and he's the only Wonder Woman villain who has it.

@captaintightpants12 said:

this but when he start fighting wonder woman he transform into this

That's an interesting idea but I think I'd rather see her fight a person then a big pile of CG.

I think Mads Mikkelson might be the best option based one what I've seen here. I'd like to see him buff up some more for the role though.

#40 Posted by Muffin_Sangria (536 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually he was pretty buff in a few of his movies already and kinda had about the right look.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.