Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

When did you realize that Wonder Woman was underrated?

• 111 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As far as being a icon and symbol of heroism, she is greatly acknowledged. But she really hasn't been pushed like other popular superheroes. I would like to see her more in the mainstream spotlight and being critically acclaimed. A lot of appearances in animation is a great reason why I think she is underrated. She usually is portrayed as a beautiful woman that kicks a lot of butt. Watching her in Justice League War made me realize DC could do a lot of things with her in the future.

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When she got her solo movie and first live action appearance announced along with Earth 1 vol by Grant Morrison and main star of next justice league big event the Darkseid War. That's when it hit me, damn she's so underrated.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

When I visited the battle-boards and encountered the immense amount of low-balling and outright ignorance that surrounds her.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Yeah, I have encountered the same thing. I have seen Wonder Woman do things that suggests that she would wipe out a lot of characters on the battles board.

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When DC thought that to make WW likable they had to change everything about her, resulting in the new52 Failure-Woman.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk80: failure? Her recent run was arguably her best ever.

Avatar image for lonesharkadriano
    lonesharkadriano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since 1990, DC/WB made 6 Batman movies, 2 Superman movies, 1 Green Lantern movie, even a freakin' Catwoman movie? But No Wonder Woman movie. So, obviously WW's popularity gone down. Today, Black Widow is more popular over fans than any other female CBH. This made me realize that Wonder Woman is really underrated and it's sad.

In comics, however, I glad to see her getting some respect she deserves.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A week ago, I look up the page on Wonder Woman villians on Wikipedia and realized she really doesn't have much of a rogues gallery. For a character that is supposidly one of the most iconic, she sure doesn't have many great villians.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: Did you really just come here to post about how much you think her Rogues Gallery sucks?

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RDClip

@agent_z: Nope, I came here to say her rogues gallery sucks because her writers hardly took the effort to create new villians for her or develop her existing villians (barring a few). Every other A-list character has at least a dozen villians that are recogizable; Wondy has Circe, Ares, Cheetah and Dr. Psycho

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23: Compared to what? I'd say it's the worst.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Cloakx14

after she hookup with Superman.

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
    rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

@cloakx14 said:

after she hookup with Superman.

Jealous?

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloakx14 said:

@rocketraccoonthingy: indeed i am. Wonder woman should be with the Flash. not Supes.

I don't want to hurt your feelings or anything but

meh...........

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

When I visited the battle-boards and encountered the immense amount of low-balling and outright ignorance that surrounds her.

this and also just looking at the lack of material she has. no cartoons, no films, and one tv show(decades ago)...it was always obvious that among the trinity the company themselves lowballed her so im not even surprised that the fandom followed suit.

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:

this and also just looking at the lack of material she has. no cartoons, no films, and one tv show(decades ago)...it was always obvious that among the trinity the company themselves lowballed her so im not even surprised that the fandom followed suit.

That is true, but you really know Diana has a problem when people can straight up claim and cling onto that Diana was either beefed up or Superman depowered when they fought in Sacrifice even though there is nothing to suggest either is the case.

Plus, around here atleast, you also have the Marvel fanboys that wont consider her to actually be on the level she is... because that would take her over the likes of most versions of Hulk and Thor.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam said:
    @outside_85 said:

That is true, but you really know Diana has a problem when people can straight up claim and cling onto that Diana was either beefed up or Superman depowered when they fought in Sacrifice even though there is nothing to suggest either is the case.

Plus, around here atleast, you also have the Marvel fanboys that wont consider her to actually be on the level she is... because that would take her over the likes of most versions of Hulk and Thor.

you know they dont want to admit a WOMAN can beat their favorite characters lol ...its pathetic

selfproclaimed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lonesharkadriano:

Green Lantern movie was made in 2011 not 1990 what are you talking about?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you know they dont want to admit a WOMAN can beat their favorite characters lol ...its pathetic

I know :) It's one of the reasons I have such a hard time stomaching them and their arguments.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When i noticed superman and batman has animated series and movies but she has non and they call her part of the trinity? Pathetic.

She needs and animated movie and series. The warner bros(supes n bats) have enough.

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By Stahlflamme

@outside_85 said:

How can one blame anyone. The only feats of her I ever saw there where she fought on par/held her own/beat Superman/Flash/someone. I've honestly never saw a feat on the level that puts her on the level of other characters other than actually having fought them evenly. Her speed seems to be roughly the same as whoever she is fighting at the time. Her strength is only shown by hurting highly invulnerable characters. And her skill is giving her an advantage against people with similiar stats, but for some reason means she has trouble with Batman or Deathstroke or Katana, who she should stomp on stats alone. I've never seen a feat of this character that wasn't solely based on comparision to characters that have their own feats.

How is one to properly judge a character, if you have to look up every person she fought to do so and discover she has struggled against far lesser opponents than lets say Superman.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:

How can one blame anyone. The only feats of her I ever saw there where she fought on par/held her own/beat Superman/Flash/someone. I've honestly never saw a feat on the level that puts her on the level of other characters other than actually having fought them evenly. Her speed seems to be roughly the same as whoever she is fighting at the time. Her strength is only shown by hurting highly invulnerable characters. And her skill is giving her an advantage against people with similiar stats, but for some reason means she has trouble with Batman or Deathstroke or Katana, who she should stomp on stats alone. I've never seen a feat of this character that wasn't solely based on comparision to characters that have their own feats.

How is one to properly judge a character, if you have to look up every person she fought to do so and discover she has struggled against far lesser opponents than lets say Superman.

have you read a wonder woman comic?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True that. Also I think DC perpetuates this attitude people have toward her. But for me it was after seeing the animated film. I thought wow her stories actuall really cool.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: No, not in a long time, thought I do know most crossover stories like Justice League don't do her Justice. This was written in regards to the battleboards. Never seen her own feats there only the fought character X feats.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True that. Also I think DC perpetuates this attitude people have toward her. But for me it was after seeing the animated film. I thought wow her stories actuall really cool.

kfabz-23@kfabz-23 - Counterfailure. WW´s best run and this isn´t even an argument is Greg Rucka and Perrez. Simone had some good stories here and there, but all in all she dropped the ball in parts of her run. So I would say:

1. Rucka and Perrez (Obviously Martson should get a nod here)

2. Azzerrelo and Simone

And Azzerrelo´s is only one of the best because all the others were so bad. I´ll admit his comic is readable which already gives it the advantage, but it has nothing on Rucka, Perrez or Simone´s The Circle, which were universally loved at the time, by critics, wonder woman fans and wonder woman newbies.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:

And Superman struggles against a bald guy in a suit.

So whats your point? That comics are inconsistent?

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: fair enough if that's how you feel I can't change that.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Stahlflamme

@outside_85: No, that where superman and other heroes are seen performing feats of strength speed or other powers that are not based on their opponent being established as powerful, all Wonder Woman feats on the battle forum are she fought Superman/Flash/character X and you can blame nobody for being skeptical on a characters strength level, when all you have are fight scenes that go from knocking out superman to getting knocked around by Batman. Granted Batman is clearly PIS, but beyond that? Frankenstein got his arms ripped of by roughly supermanlevel Black Adam, but knocked around a bloodlusted Wonder Woman. Aquaman is strong, but is generally considered a joke strength wise, if compared to Superman, yet he can fight evenly with Wonder Woman. Basically all I ever hear on the battle forum is Wonder Woman fights with Superman she wins this and atom-slicing-sword-deacapitation talk( and ends in sex).

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: So are you one of those people who need to see her bench a mountain or play snooker with planets before you actually believe her?

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:

@stahlflamme: So are you one of those people who need to see her bench a mountain or play snooker with planets before you actually believe her?

Hey, looking at her own feats which are not the extension of fighting another character or rather those I've seen on the battleboards, she is strength wise below the Thing. With her feats by extension of fighting another character seem all over the place, how would I blame anyone who puts her below characters that have their own feats.

Storywise I don't need to see her do any insane strength feats just for the heck of it, but arguing on the feats-are-everything-battleforums I find the evidence for her physical strength and speed rather lacking, especially given that Karate Kid can replicate anything she did fightwise easier and is established to be not in the same strength speed class as what Diana is placed in based on these fighting feats.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: well how can you know her feats if you havent read her comics? i mean if all you are going on is scans from the battle forum then you dont even have a sound base to stand on

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clearly people aren't checking for her feats if they think she is below the Thing in strength.

How many characters in her tier can break Lantern's constructs like fodder and close opened rifts in space with their bare hands?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, looking at her own feats which are not the extension of fighting another character or rather those I've seen on the battleboards, she is strength wise below the Thing. With her feats by extension of fighting another character seem all over the place, how would I blame anyone who puts her below characters that have their own feats.

Storywise I don't need to see her do any insane strength feats just for the heck of it, but arguing on the feats-are-everything-battleforums I find the evidence for her physical strength and speed rather lacking, especially given that Karate Kid can replicate anything she did fightwise easier and is established to be not in the same strength speed class as what Diana is placed in based on these fighting feats.

So she is automatically less powerful than implied from some of her fightsbecause she doesn't use her powers outside of fights with other characters very often? What kind of logic is that?

And then you wheel out Karate Kid, a character that might as well be the in-comics embodiment of Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris' pop-cultural persona's. Not to mention his most worthwhile feat happend 40 years ago and has long since fallen out of canon.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: well how can you know her feats if you havent read her comics? i mean if all you are going on is scans from the battle forum then you dont even have a sound base to stand on

@outside_85 said:

As you can clearly see the battle forums are all I've ever been talking about. I'm gonna argue if they only show feats of her fighting character X there probably aren't many comics she shows comparable feats. But that is all I can say about that.

Clearly people aren't checking for her feats if they think she is below the Thing in strength.

How many characters in her tier can break Lantern's constructs like fodder and close opened rifts in space with their bare hands?

A combination of the Thing being somewhat underrated, green lantern constructs being highly inconsistent(explained as they are based upon the users will power) and that are more feats based on her fighting another character, where as I've only been arguing for the feats that she has beyond fighting other characters.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme said:

So she is automatically less powerful than implied from some of her fightsbecause she doesn't use her powers outside of fights with other characters very often? What kind of logic is that?

And then you wheel out Karate Kid, a character that might as well be the in-comics embodiment of Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris' pop-cultural persona's. Not to mention his most worthwhile feat happend 40 years ago and has long since fallen out of canon.

Why is she automatically as powerful as SOME of her fights imply if SOME of her other fights imply that she is not as powerful. That is my entire point you can say these fights are the correct level, someone else can say those other fights show her correct level.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is she automatically as powerful as SOME of her fights imply if SOME of her other fights imply that she is not as powerful. That is my entire point you can say these fights are the correct level, someone else can say those other fights show her correct level.

Because it's DC thats for the past 30-35 years now been trying to tell people where they think Diana is regarding powers. As far as anyone should be concerned, it's them that have the last word, not some alias on the internet.

Otherwise stuff like this would never get published as part of a major story:

No Caption Provided

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: They also let the PIS feats of her getting kicked around by Batman get published and that happened mutliple times as well, I believe.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Still haven't...Wonder why?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@willienotwilliam: @somayareece: @outside_85: It's really disappointing. I've had someone who actually found it funny that I included WW on a list of people who've the potential to beat Superman. Apparently her equipment is a non-factor, even though they're effective against characters on Supes' level or above, who don't have a magic weakness...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.