Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8717 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

What is the purpose of her being in BvS?

• 73 results
    ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Another way just to make the movie look good. Im sure she will get kicked to the curve while Batgod and the Man of Steel get in all the action *sarcasm*. Seriously, why can't she just get her own movie? She is just being used as a trophy once again.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JakeN7

Probably for the same reason that Black Widow was in Iron Man 2. We get an extended cameo that introduces the character, and sets it up for her role in Justice League. Unless they want to make Justice League a 4-5 hour film, they're going to need to find other ways of bringing in the big players for it, and I think this is just another case of that.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: Nice try but this is a public forum and I have the right to criticize so don't like it? Not my problem

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: Seems like you the only troll here because I gave my personal opinion of the topic but people want to play internet badass *sigh*

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because your butt?

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
    TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well - it's too early to know, definitively, but I've got some guesses. Basically, they're setting up the Justice League - and because they aren't interested in a Wonder Woman solo film - I guess this is the best route to go, and the film's most likely gonna do a ton of setting up.

Then there's profit - and Wonder Woman, the name alone, will attract viewers and fans of the character alike, and I'm guessing her role will be IM2-Black Widow size, or something like that.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: You clearly are derailing my opinion on the character. Im not the only WW fan on this board complaining. You pretty much proved you don't like my criticism with that unnessary essay. If Green Lantern can get a movie then I see no reason why WW can't. Your little smart remarks isn't needed here. I respect JakeN7 because he actually put effort in a argument.

ZhuRong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: Perhaps you haven't seen ArchiZoom because he complains more than anyone. There are a number of heroes that got movies and did well. DC only focuses on Batman and Superman. If they would have pushed GL to the general audience as a character then it would have been done better. She had her own tv series that did well. I'm not replying to you anymore because I refuse to derail this thread any longer.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@zhurong said:

@justthatkid: Perhaps you haven't seen ArchiZoom because he complains more than anyone. There are a number of heroes that got movies and did well. DC only focuses on Batman and Superman. If they would have pushed GL to the general audience as a character then it would have been done better. She had her own tv series that did well. I'm not replying to you anymore because I refuse to derail this thread any longer.

I'm not trying to get into this argument, but the "TV series" comment is what I want to touch on.

TV series are NOTHING to Movies. Absolutely nothing.

Arrow has his own TV series with 3 million viewers. If we use the logic that every Arrow watcher, goes to see a Green Arrow movie - at 8~ bucks a ticket - the movie makes 24 mil and bombs hard as sh*t.

WW in particular had a TV series - with most likely far less viewers - decades ago. It means absolutely nothing. Look at the Hulk. He had a TV series and had two unsuccessful (financially) movies.

Marvel - who has 12~ films under their belt - still hasn't done a female only film. That should tell you how sketchy the industry feels about it.

People can continue to cry about it if they wish, but there are very real, very valid reasons why she isn't getting her own movie right away. IF you want to write the 200m~ dollar check, call up WB and they'll happily make it. These studios don't have unlimited funds, contrary to what people make think. They can't just throw away a couple mil and not worry if the movie doesn't make money or not.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: to be fair I'm certain the WW TV show had a lot more than 3 million viewers. Several reasons ... In 1976-1979 when it aired there were only 3 network TV stations in the US so the average Primetime TV ratings were dramatically higher than today when viewers have several hundred stations to choose from. WW was a decent performer for ratings which means it likely had a viewership around 10 million ... Solid for it's day, but far from "runaway hit" territory. I'd have to do actual research to get the numbers.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@csg_cl said:

@fallschirmjager: to be fair I'm certain the WW TV show had a lot more than 3 million viewers. Several reasons ... In 1976-1979 when it aired there were only 3 network TV stations in the US so the average Primetime TV ratings were dramatically higher than today when viewers have several hundred stations to choose from. WW was a decent performer for ratings which means it likely had a viewership around 10 million ... Solid for it's day, but far from "runaway hit" territory. I'd have to do actual research to get the numbers.

Even 10m viewers is irrelevant.

A 200m dollar production budget, on top of about (at least) 50m market means a 250m total spent. Means you are looking at something in the area of 375-400m just to break even.

So unless 50m~ people watched the TV series and EVERYONE who watched the tv series went to the movie, the "tv series" argument is still completely null and void.

Do your research, I would be interested regardless of the figure but its not anywhere close to 50m. I would be surprised if it was 5.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: naturally it's not 50m ... But I would argue that it's an irrelevant point. Charlie's Angels and 21 Jump Street were both successful films that wouldn't have had anywhere near 50m viewers either. Movies need marketing to push audiences ... Having, even a small, built in audience is helpful, but ultimately without the advertising support and the licensing deals for merchandise will kill a movie as quickly as anything else. And you assumed in your math that the viewers would attend the movie alone and/or see it only once.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I understand this film is the little push Wonder Woman needs to break into the cinematic industry but why not call it Justice League. Calling it Batman vs Superman: The Dawn of Justice suggests Batman and Superman are the founding and most important members of the team which is accurate, just please end the trinity charade. Wonder Woman who's almost completely anonymous outside the white commonwealth is about to be introduced to the world as a supporting character.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This post makes zero sense. How is WW being used as a trophy.....This Movie is BATMAN v SUPERMAN. the movie is about these two characters not Wonder Woman. Wonder woman is in the movie in a small role to lead into the JL movie and then eventually her own movie. You should be happy because this is her first big screen adaptation so please stop complaining and look at the positives for once.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Gal Gadot may not be the fans... First choice of WW but come on! We're finally getting her and she may not suck...

Remember Heath Ledger...

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WHY IS WONDER WOMAN IN THE BAT VS SUPES MOVIE??

Because:

She is the third link in the Trinity that starts the Justice League. You can't have an masculine dark POV and a masculine naive POV, without a FEMININE psychological POV to balance it all out.

My guess is that she breaks up their fight, and gives them another POV to see things by. That maybe a bit of the feminine is needed. That maybe they've had WAY too much masculinity in their midst.

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By natvin

Not sure what point of views have to do with why anyone is in this movie.

To send a message. That's why Ww was created, and DC/Warner know this.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

I think it's a good thing that she's in the movie. I was kinda hoping they would use this to pump her up then move to a solo movie or a Wonder Woman v Aquaman movie right after, but the rumors seem to point to them going straight to Justice League after.

At the beginning of the movie I think she'll just be Princess Diana and the public might not know about her powers yet. Her island of advanced women would have been discovered right after the events of MoS, and she will have come to man's world as it's dignitary. The World Machine likely destroyed what ever was keeping the island cloaked. Then like he rumors she she will be joining full force of the final fighting scene.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria: I agree that's it's great that she is in it ... Just like being in Iron Man was a great kick start for Black Widow. It's idiocy for people to complain that she is in a movie.

I bet she is introduced as Diana Prince, some sort of government official and appears as WW after the main SM v BM confrontation ... There is bound to be a "boss" bad guy that will bring them all together.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I'm really hoping they don't do the whole "secret identity" thing with her. I'm fine with them waiting to reveal her powers and costume but I think she should be upfront the whole time about being a princess from some mysterious island. If she does adopt the Diana Prince ID that should be saved for her solo movie.

Hungry_Sharky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather she wasn't in it honestly.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WW should have been a main character and have had called it the trinity or something

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: Not the point. Based on your logic Hulk wouldnt have been in the avengers film

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria: mainstream audiences know Diana Prince as her secret ID ... I think it will be how they introduce her first, and to be honest it would give her purpose in the film outside of just fighting. I don't really have a preference one way or the other. It's just easy and familiar to most viewers ... And if they play it right they can get the audience excited for the big WW reveal by introducing her alter ego first.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 138

Why would Batman and Superman get most of the action in a movie called Batman vs Superman? That's so silly.....

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I guess those more familiar with the TV series would know her as Diana Prince, but I'd argue that most movie goes have no idea what her secret identity is or if she even has one. The movie is supposed to go light on her mythos so I think having her masquerade as some government agent or whatever would over complicate thing, and if they are going to go that direction with the character I think it would make more sense to save it for her solo movie. The easiest and most straight forward way to introduce Diana would be to just say that she's a princess from some mysterious island. Her purpose in the film would be to spread peace and good will to the rest of the world. They could still have the big reveal of her costume and powers at the end even without a secret ID.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I shouldn't be surprised people are still getting bent out of shape over a cameo.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria: personally I think you could ask any random on the street who Diana Prince was and the majority of folks would know she was WW ... And it would be far easier to introduce Diana Prince as a small characters, say someone Clark interviews for a story, then have WW appear during a fight. She's not a key character in this movie so I doubt we're gonna get much beyond that. And we know audiences like the whole secret ID bit. What purpose would an Amazon Princess have in a SM movie?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#41  Edited By joshmightbe

This post makes zero sense. How is WW being used as a trophy.....This Movie is BATMAN v SUPERMAN. the movie is about these two characters not Wonder Woman. Wonder woman is in the movie in a small role to lead into the JL movie and then eventually her own movie. You should be happy because this is her first big screen adaptation so please stop complaining and look at the positives for once.

Modern comic fans are spoiled children, they don't see it as the character they liked growing up is finally getting some attention, they see it as if anything that deviates from what they want to see is a personal attack. They cry and whine over seeing the same stuff over and over, but loose their s**t whenever something new happens. They say they want their characters in movies but when it happens all they do is complain about how the character will be represented before they even see the first trailer. No sense in arguing with that, it'll just drive you nuts.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@joshmightbe: Yea I agree. Most only look for the negatives and ignore the big picture

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: If they treat her bad then complain away but you don't know how they treated her because they don't even have a trailer yet.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: Because she's probably got a glorified cameo. The main point of the whole damn movie is about Superman meeting Batman, that was the whole concept, we're lucky Wonder Woman will be in it at all.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By dernman  Online

smh Some WW fans are becoming as bad as Storm fans.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I am expecting a small role for Gal to play because this is what was told me (and the public). Maybe they gave her more lines, maybe they tacked on a scene or two, but the story is set and for me, it makes sense. As a Wonder Woman fan, I would have rather she had her own film with cameos with the other two, but I am grateful for what's being done. Clearly the intention for Wonder Woman to be more visible in movies is there. Someone mentioned earlier how this is similar to Black Widow in the MCU, and I think the same.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightfall225 said:

Modern comic fans are spoiled children, they don't see it as the character they liked growing up is finally getting some attention, they see it as if anything that deviates from what they want to see is a personal attack. They cry and whine over seeing the same stuff over and over, but loose their s**t whenever something new happens. They say they want their characters in movies but when it happens all they do is complain about how the character will be represented before they even see the first trailer. No sense in arguing with that, it'll just drive you nuts.

Agree

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.