Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

What if Wonder Woman had a gay brother?

• 65 results
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

@rdclip said:

Well she is the daughter of Zeus and if the sons of Zeus are anything like daddy, then she certainly has several bi brothers at least.

Yep. Between her Amazon heritage and her new 52 Zeus-derived blood ties, it's pretty much a given that she has multiple siblings—by adoption or blood—somewhere on the LGB spectrum (and likely T as well, I would think). In fact, it never made sense to me that Diana would only be attracted to men anyway. They made some hints in Simone's run that this wasn't the case.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No they didn't. Where?

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Akindoodle

@feelgood said:

@akindoodle said:

And for god's sake, even Percy Jackson has a gay character.

Good point. Another mythological series has a gay male, why shouldn't Wonder Woman?

Not only that. He's a WELL rounded character. Being gay isn't what makes him tick. (I love how it was teased throughout the whole series but because it's a kids' series it never occurs to you and then you only just put the pieces together when it's revealed but it makes TOTAL sense. Great writing)

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By fodigg

@scorpio_cassadine said:

No they didn't. Where?

Assuming this is directed to me.

Do I have the wrong writer? During her courtship with Nemesis she makes him go through a formal courtship proceeding during which there's a lampshaded moment of realization on his part that the fact an island of all women has such a system means there are official same-sex relationships going on, and it is not confirmed nor denied that Diana has taken part in that. This would have been around the One Year Later storyline and I do know that it was Simone who wrote the end of that relationship (Warkiller), which is why I assumed she was responsible for that part.

No Caption Provided

This involved needing to give him an Amazonian rank—making him an honorary Amazon—in order to court Diana.

No Caption Provided

Which one can reasonably assume is not a concern for the majority of potential suitors. Again, nothing confirmed for Diana's past relationships and one could interpret all of it as supporting a queer-spectrum romantic culture among the Amazons while excluding Diana, but I don't see why it wouldn't (or shouldn't) include her. We don't assume a virginal past for Nemesis, so why should that be the default for Diana?

There was also when Artemis who was treated as a sort of unofficial "girlfriend" for Diana.

No Caption Provided

Although again this was left as an unconfirmed open-to-interpretation nod for segments of the fanbase, Simone has stated she is a part of said fanbase. Doesn't mean much outside her run, of course, she doesn't own the character, but I'd argue the hints were there for future creators to pick up and run with should they choose.

And really, if any character should feel free to delve into sapphic undertones, it should be the premiere Amazon in comics.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

@sandman_ said:

@fallschirmjager: except Supes of course.

no. that relationship is lame. I enjoy the book, but its not because they're dating.

her with Batman is equally lame. so is Trevor.

Do you think there is a man who could work with her, or a female for that matter. As a fan it's hard to imagine anyone being good enough for Wonder Woman to settle down with. Personally I'd like to see Wonder Woman be polyamorous. I think it would would make sense if the Amazons had developed some sort of consensual non-monogamy in their society.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: I didn't make out that Tom had to become an Amazon in order to have a relationship with Diana but rather that he was heartily welcomed into the her family. Regardless, 3000 years of celibacy sounds punitive so Amazons would at least develop bi/homosexuality similar to how same-sex relationships occur in penal institutions though at large prison sexuality consists of rape.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: I didn't make out that Tom had to become an Amazon in order to have a relationship with Diana but rather that he was heartily welcomed into the her family.

He was given an official rank though.

Regardless, 3000 years of celibacy sounds punitive so Amazons would at least develop bi/homosexuality

Yep.

similar to how same-sex relationships occur in penal institutions though at large prison sexuality consists of rape.

Wait what? Why does it have to be "punitive" or "no alternative" like prison? Why relate it to rape at all?

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By ArchiZoom

@fodigg said:

@archizoom said:

@fodigg: I didn't make out that Tom had to become an Amazon in order to have a relationship with Diana but rather that he was heartily welcomed into the her family.

Regardless, 3000 years of celibacy sounds punitive so Amazons would at least develop bi/homosexuality

Yep.

similar to how same-sex relationships occur in penal institutions though at large prison sexuality consists of rape.

Wait what? Why does it have to be "punitive" or "no alternative" like prison? Why relate it to rape at all?

Well i mean spending eternity without the pleasures of the flesh is not a gift from the Gods, it's a punishment. Supposedly Amazons who leave Themyscira renounce their immortality so I assumed the ones who still live there never left and it didn't occur to me that in some books they move freely between Themyscira and the Patriarch's world where I guess they can seek pleasure in the company of men.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: That damn peach pit necklace and scratchy friendship bracelet! Man I hated that ish! That was the start of that run's corniness (well, maybe it was the gorillas).

It's been explicitly stated several times that many Amazons form romantic partnerships. That's nothing new, and there's nothing in the scans you posted that implies that Diana is also gay. Actually there's quite a lot of evidence to the contrary. Originally she fell in love with Steve at first sight, she just gave her comic book virginity to Superman in S/WW 4, then there were the other guys she's dated throughout the years.

Io was clearly in love with Diana during Rucka's run and she rebuffed Io's advances as nicely as possible. Diana has three alternate earth children, she's had with three different fathers. She's not gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I only dislike the idea because it reinforces the cliched premise that because Wonder Woman comes from an island of women, she has to be a lesbian. That's horribly stereotypical, and it does a disservice to women; by reducing the bond of sisterhood to a male adolescent fantasy or bad R-rated B-movie.

Plus it's too much like Xena.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By fodigg

@fodigg said:

@archizoom said:

Yep.

Well i mean spending eternity without the pleasures of the flesh is not a gift from the Gods, it's a punishment. Supposedly Amazons who leave Themyscira renounce their immortality so I assumed the ones who still live there never left and it didn't occur to me that in some books they move freely between Themyscira and the Patriarch's world where I guess they can seek pleasure in the company of men.

I think it's thematically appropriate for a civilization of Amazons to not even desire the company of men, or to do so in a non-exclusive capacity. It doesn't have to be that way, of course, but if ever it's going to be appropriate, it's with them.

@fodigg: That damn peach pit necklace and scratchy friendship bracelet! Man I hated that ish! That was the start of that run's corniness (well, maybe it was the gorillas).

It's been explicitly stated several times that many Amazons form romantic partnerships. That's nothing new, and there's nothing in the scans you posted that implies that Diana is also gay. Actually there's quite a lot of evidence to the contrary. Originally she fell in love with Steve at first sight, she just gave her comic book virginity to Superman in S/WW 4, then there were the other guys she's dated throughout the years.

Io was clearly in love with Diana during Rucka's run and she rebuffed Io's advances as nicely as possible. Diana has three alternate earth children, she's had with three different fathers. She's not gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I only dislike the idea because it reinforces the cliched premise that because Wonder Woman comes from an island of women, she has to be a lesbian. That's horribly stereotypical, and it does a disservice to women; by reducing the bond of sisterhood to a male adolescent fantasy or bad R-rated B-movie.

I never said lesbian, but I think it's thematically consistent if she's not exclusively heterosexual. And really, did Superman give her his "comic book virginity" too? Why assume women are virginal and men don't have to be?

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

@scorpio_cassadine: I think there's no denying that Diana is attracted to dudes, but there's no reason she can't be attracted to ladies as well. From what I've heard a lot of the writers thought of her as bisexual. I can understand them not writing that since it would seem strange with all the years they didn't say anything about her attraction to women. But they just had a reboot so they could easily make her bisexual now. Maybe the next writer to do a run will finally take Wonder Woman to the places she needs to go.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine: She should've bought him something peachy at Tiffany's instead of the peachpit necklace, a Rolex maybe. I think you mold Diana to Beyonce's image. The gorilla situation in the beginning developed into a beautiful, unconditional friendship and I wouldn't have had it any other way. She grew up in Themyscira after all, makeup and heels are vices of the men's world, torture devices. The peachpit necklace was cute in my opinion.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizoom said:

@scorpio_cassadine: She should've bought him something peachy at Tiffany's instead of the peachpit necklace, a Rolex maybe. I think you mold Diana to Beyonce's image. The gorilla situation in the beginning developed into a beautiful, unconditional friendship and I wouldn't have had it any other way. She grew up in Themyscira after all, makeup and heels are vices of the men's world, torture devices. The peachpit necklace was cute in my opinion.

That's your opinion, I found it corny and more than a little bit stupid. If someone gave me a peach pit on a string I'd think they're cheap as hell, especially when they're a princess with access to all kinds of priceless artifacts and real jewelry. It's not even about materialism, you should give people something they would want. Like the sword she gave Superman, that was a cool gift, even if you're invulnerable and have heat vision.

The peach pit thing was like a chick giving a dude a dozen roses. It holds more value to one party than it does the other (usually). When you give a gift, you think of the person and not yourself.

@muffin_sangria said:

@scorpio_cassadine: I think there's no denying that Diana is attracted to dudes, but there's no reason she can't be attracted to ladies as well. From what I've heard a lot of the writers thought of her as bisexual. I can understand them not writing that since it would seem strange with all the years they didn't say anything about her attraction to women. But they just had a reboot so they could easily make her bisexual now. Maybe the next writer to do a run will finally take Wonder Woman to the places she needs to go.

That's just it, she doesn't need to go. Why would she, when she's already a gay icon? Out of over seventy years worth of stories, there's not one implying that she's bisexual. Not one. The only reason to make her bisexual would be to appease a sector of fans that want her to be ore like them, at the character's expense. That's not organic storytelling, that's following an agenda. And I've already stated the reasons why she shouldn't be attracted to women.

@fodigg said:

@archizoom said:

@fodigg said:

@archizoom said:

Yep.

I think it's thematically appropriate for a civilization of Amazons to not even desire the company of men, or to do so in a non-exclusive capacity. It doesn't have to be that way, of course, but if ever it's going to be appropriate, it's with them.

@scorpio_cassadine said:

I never said lesbian, but I think it's thematically consistent if she's not exclusively heterosexual. And really, did Superman give her his "comic book virginity" too? Why assume women are virginal and men don't have to be?

As far as being "thematically appropriate" what theme are you referring to?

A character doesn't have to be homosexual themselves to be inclusive to, or champion the lgbt community, in fact, it's MORE impactful if they're not. That way they're doing it out of love for all of humanity and not because it's advantageous to them personally.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ArchiZoom

That's your opinion, I found it corny and more than a little bit stupid. If someone gave me a peach pit on a string I'd think they're cheap as hell, especially when they're a princess with access to all kinds of priceless artifacts and real jewelry. It's not even about materialism, you should give people something they would want. Like the sword she gave Superman, that was a cool gift, even if you're invulnerable and have heat vision.

The peach pit thing was like a chick giving a dude a dozen roses. It holds more value to one party than it does the other (usually). When you give a gift, you think of the person and not yourself.

They weren't gifts per se like christmas or birthday gifts, they were tokens and I'd definitely treasure a token of somebody's love more than I would a diamond encrusted Rolex so I guess we're just different. And I can't stress this enough, she's not from this world and Cartier doesn't own boutiques in Themyscira. There should be more than a few noticeable differences of character between Diana and a typical terrestrial Woman.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

As far as being "thematically appropriate" what theme are you referring to?

Classic amazons of myth delved into sapphic themes.

A character doesn't have to be homosexual themselves to be inclusive to, or champion the lgbt community, in fact, it's MORE impactful if they're not. That way they're doing it out of love for all of humanity and not because it's advantageous to them personally.

I don't buy that argument at all. Representation is important.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg: That's what Batwoman is for. And if she's not enough, here you go.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By fodigg

@scorpio_cassadine said:

@fodigg: That's what Batwoman is for. And if she's not enough, here you go.

So we have enough gays, is what you're saying. Can't have too many gays. That'd be bad.

Look, I don't have a horse in this race, I think that Diana works either way, but the argument that she's somehow more supportive by definitely, absolutely no-how-no-way possibly being attracted to women (nuh uh, not this amazon!) seems self-evidently ridiculous to me.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, what's ridiculous is changing 70 years of history to please one small set of fans.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.