Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

What happened to Wonder Woman?

GolDEnsPectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GolDEnsPectre

Ok. So in the 40's, Wonder Woman was introduced to comics and she was seen to be beautiful but also strong. I remembered watching a documentary on superheroes and they did a segment on her character. In the 40's she was portrayed as just as strong if not stronger than Superman and she also had cool adventures such as: going to other universes to free the oppressed and also she was seen fighting monsters of myth. I mean, I know this is a new century and the times have changed but I think DC has messed up with making her date Superman( She, to me, loses her independence) and making her weaker than her Golden Age counterpart.What has happened to her?!

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By colonyofcells

In New 52, my guess is super heroes will change partners often so I won't worry too much about the temporary hookup of Superman and wonder woman. New 52 Wonder Woman seems to be still as strong as Superman and Green Lantern so I won't worry about the lack of powers of Wonder Woman. In New 52, Wonder Woman is now a god like the old John Byrne god of truth version so Wonder Woman might even be more powerful than Superman and Wonder Woman has no stupid or arbitrary weakness like kryptonite.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By darkman61288

As you said its a new century, so things change. Wonder Woman was at the time of her creation supose to be a role for girls and young women, but that is no longer the case. Those stories of her traveling to other universes and fighting monsters of myth is outdated. And I think that the all powerful superhero is fading out. Thats what has happened to WW. Also I dont like the power couple thing either, and will most likely damage her as a character.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#4  Edited By x_29

So WW is a lesser character just because she is in a relationship?

jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jobbernos

@x_29 said:

So WW is a lesser character just because she is in a relationship?

GolDEnsPectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GolDEnsPectre

@jobbernos: I'm not saying she is a lesser character. But what I am saying is that because she's in the relationship with Superman she isn't the same, in my opinion. I just nervous that it will turn into the Steve Trevor "kick" of the 50's where all he wanted to do was marry her and WW would consider giving up her powers to be with him or nervous that she would not be seen as a equal in the Justice League because she is with Superman.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Press Oblivion

Yeah I don't think that's a direction anyone is even remotely considering.

Relationships do change people.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#8  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @GolDEnsPectre: Do you not read her ongoing? WW is potentially stronger then everybody on the JL
    darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By darkman61288

She is becoming Superman's girlfriend in jl. This is happening because they are too similar.

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By 80sBaby

The OP's premise doesn't hold up.

It blames the new relationship with Superman for the changes in Wonder woman BUT those changes were there in the Pre-Crisis/Post-FP era, as well. The fact is that the 40's were over 70+ years ago and things have changed for nearly every character from that era. After all, Superman's not casually blowing out stars now, is he? Batman's not having the same crazy adventures he was during the Silver Age, is he? Nope. So, it's not just Diana this has happened to.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.