Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

What happened to the child of clay?

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By herrweis

With the revalation of Zeus being her father it sparked a thought.Is Wonder Woman blessed bye her gods or is her power all from her heritage.If her gods granted power and life to clay baby where is that baby?Obviously none of the gods knew Hippolyta was pregnant ,let alone by Zeus.The gods(from what I gather) believe they brought a baby to life so...

Am I the only 1 thinkin about this?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @herrweis: I think this is one of the persisting unanswered questions of the new storyline.  If she is not made of clay, then is there some reason that Hera killed all the Amazons by turning them into stone?  
    Krissyjump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Krissyjump

I always thought that the Child of Clay was a cover up to hide the fact that Diana was Zeus' child.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
    deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RazzaTazz: I was wondering about that too. Maybe it'll be somewhat like the reverse of Diana's origin. This time she'll be the one to plead to the gods to give life back to her mother who's been turned to stone.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @divingfalcon713: Could be yes, I mean as far as the reader knows there is not even that much confirmation that Zeus is actually her father.  It could be another one of Hippolyta's lies
    herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By herrweis

@Krissyjump: It kind of wasn't made clear.Hermes was telling Zola the story in issue 2 which is what led me to believe that the gods thought they brought a clay child to life.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Press Oblivion

@RazzaTazz said:

@herrweis: I think this is one of the persisting unanswered questions of the new storyline. If she is not made of clay, then is there some reason that Hera killed all the Amazons by turning them into stone?

I believe that Hippolyta is, ironically, turned to clay and the rest of the Amazons have been turned into snakes. Hera turned the Amazons because they were going to attack her if she assaulted Hippolyta. It's treachery, punishable by . . . snake-y-ness. I would have chosen death but I think it's safe to say that Hera has a flare for the dramatic.

As for the the lore of the clay child, I just chock it up to a lie that the Hierarchy of the Amazons perpetuated to keep Diana safe from the wrath of Hera. She is not blessed by the Gods this go around and I don't really think that they knew or cared about Hippolyta's deceit. The real question for me is how did Strife know that Diana was a child of Zeus? Strife is the one that outed Hippolyta's lie.

@RazzaTazz said:

as far as the reader knows there is not even that much confirmation that Zeus is actually her father.

This is a great point! It's anyone's game here.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By COBRAMORPH

Its kinda obvious that Hippolyta would lie if Zeus is WW's father, because of how Hera reacts to whenever Zeus gets around.

However, isnt there two clay children in the WW clay origin? Maybe the other one still exists.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Press Oblivion: If it had to be like this, I was always more inclined to Hades as he was insinuated to be Diana's father in Justice League Unlimited
    Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Press Oblivion

Would you consider . . . . War? That issue 0 becomes a little more interesting if he chooses to pas on his charge to his own daughter? It's the first thing that came to my mind when you questioned Zeus's paternity.

@COBRAMORPH said:

However, isnt there two clay children in the WW clay origin? Maybe the other one still exists.

Interesting! Are there 2 clay children?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7
    deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure the AMazons were blessed to an extent HOWEVER, in this the Gods are also VERY selfish so I'm guessing if she wants to further herself even more she'll have to get those powers on her own.

Hermes only gave her the power of flight to save Zola, he was pushed to that point. So Diana will have to push even further for more power.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By arnoldoaad

@herrweis said:

With the revalation of Zeus being her father it sparked a thought.Is Wonder Woman blessed bye her gods or is her power all from her heritage.If her gods granted power and life to clay baby where is that baby?Obviously none of the gods knew Hippolyta was pregnant ,let alone by Zeus.The gods(from what I gather) believe they brought a baby to life so...

Am I the only 1 thinkin about this?

It think this would depend on what exactly is a god and what exactly is an Amazon

If Gods are just magic beings or beings with power it is possible that is genetic

if the Amazons are blessed by Gods then maybe that blessing is being passed to her with even more strength cause Zeus is her Father

Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

I'm of the opinion that it was mostly an editorial decision. Somebody brandished the word "Relatable" like flaming sword when it came to Diana's origins as being made from clay. Maybe they feared feminists might not accept that a "near perfect" female like Diana was not actually born, but made or there was a lot of powerpointing and excelling done to show that the clay origin wasn't a good marketing idea.

My guess is that DC got cold feet about the whole clay thing and let Azzarello run with it. How he is planning to wrap it up is anybody's guess.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.