Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

What can be Diana's Costume Explain?

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think one way is that Diana o wants to bridge a link between the amazons and the outside world again. So she does this by being the ambassadors for the USA. Other one is the fact before New 52 Athena and Aphrodite would important to the amazons. So you can base her colors and symbols on that.

What are you thoughts.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By LaserLambert

as if the rest of the amazons dress so normally... who cares?

Superman has an S on his chest, oh but it's not an S, it's an alien symbol of hope and the house of El --- Wonder Woman looks like the american flag, oh but it's not an american flag, it's just ceremonial amazonian attire. done.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People now want comics to be realistic which is stupid.So many want a explain. I want she was never really for the whole world to be an ambassador for the whole world. It would make sense to just have it be one country and not thinking on the whole world but one step at a time.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the patriotic angle. The American flag historically represented a parallel to WW's journey to free the world of oppression, war and hate. You know, back when she had a purpose and mission beyond only her personal family affairs.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinisteri: Which is why I like Steve like in her original version. I mean how hard can it be to have it be Diana using Steve's home country to get the amazons to communicate and since she wanted to start small she uses Steve has their first connect.

SayaOtonashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SayaOtonashi

What about this Half of the Amazonian Flag and Flag of The royal house?

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the animated movie's explanation - she's going to the U.S. as an ambassador, so she wears our colors as a sign of respect. It's quick, reasonable, and doesn't draw a ton of focus away from the story.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarkDay

Wasn't there an explanation to her costume at one point that was something along the lines of Amazons wearing the colors of their host nation as some sort of ambassadorial tradition?

Edit: @dmessmer And that's what I get for not reading the last post. LOL.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think some of her modern costumes have been pushed far enough away from the American flag that it can easily be played off as a coincidence or not even mentioned. If she was being introduced in her own movie then maybe they could get into something more in depth but since she is getting her start it MoS II / Batman vs Superman / DC Trinity I think it's best to keep it simple like that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.