Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Trinity by Matt Wagner

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Bezza

ok, this is a question mainly to the Azzarello WW haters out there, but also to other WW fans. What did you make of her depiction in Trinity? I picked a copy of it up cheap having read good reviews on Amazon but am not sure I really like it all that much. Mainly the fact that WW firstly gets badly beaten up by Bizarro and I mean really badly beaten, then chained up by Ra's a Gul, almost dies having been speared, gets bad mouthed and treated with contempt a lot by Batman! Stabbed by Ra's a gul's sword (bleeds) and generally has her arse saved a lot by Superman, who seems way, way more powerful in comparison.

Oh and just to rub it in, Batman does much better in his encounters with Bizarro than Wonder Woman!

What did other WW fans think? Its not a bad story per se, but Wonder Woman is made to look a wee bit weak and vulnerable...

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By dshipp17

I thought it was a pretty good story, because realism was not suspended; if anything was a bit off, I just thought Bizarro was portrayed a bit out of character; basically, Bizarro isn't as smart as he was portrayed and shouldn't have functioned with such coordination against Wonder Woman, so Wonder Woman probably should have done better by way of outsmarting him in some way, but not in a brute force, physical encounter against Bizarro; why would Bizarro have the same respect or perspective of Wonder Woman that Superman would have, is the appropriate question to consider; she's not given him the same opportunity to know her as she's given to Superman; however, on the flip side, I thought it was Rucka's Superman versus Wonder Woman that was bad portrayal of Superman; since you appear to be coming from that prospective, being continually referred to Rucka's run, you've probably become accustomed to an exaggerated version of Wonder Woman, where realism is almost always suspended; with Bizarro, Wonder Woman was practically fighting Superman, but a Superman that had no reasons to have respect for her; Bizarro most certainly was not holding back and wished to destroy her, so, lacking any inhibition for Wonder Woman and compassion for Wonder Woman, Bizarro practically did just that, where Bizarro either didn't give a hoot about Wonder Woman or didn't have a personal connection to her to form a respect for her; you're locking yourself into the 2000s and, specifically the period after about 2005, where Wagner looked through Wonder Woman as a whole; it's probably more of an error on your part in fixing yourself to certain sections of Wonder Woman in place of studying her material as a whole than Wagner portraying Wonder Woman badly. As I've repeatedly stated, there's a lot more Wonder Woman material than what's in the Perez, Rucka, Simone runs, and the material what's in 2000 to present, where your glimpse in the past has been limited to the Perez run.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17:

Thanks for your reply, I must admit I have only read bits of WW for the period in question, but what irks me is the inconsistency of Bizarro putting away Wonder Woman very easily and really damaging her after just a few wallops and her not healing quickly (in a recent story she heals from two broken arms within minutes), when compared with the amount of trouble Batman gives Bizarro. He only gets tagged once in their encounter, which considering he has no superspeed and Wonder Woman most definitely does, seems unlikely. Also Batman is portrayed as a complete jerk, a chauvinistic prig and I don't think he would be that disrespectful to a fellow super-hero. Other than that, I guess its not that bad!!

Comparing this Wonder Woman to the very powerful one who fights powergirl in Gail Simone's Contagion only seems to highlight how weak she was in this story. Even Ra's a Ghul manages to cut her with his swords and again he isn't super-powered.

But hey, if we all liked the same stuff it would be boring!!

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By Pokeysteve

Worst interpretation of her ever. They made her the damsel and that's not what she is. One of the most hated stories I've ever read.

I don't like Azz's run but at least he seems to have a hold on her character.

r2datu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a fairly terrible story. Thank god it's non canon.

siab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: i think it was bad written in many different ways,first her personality was completely different compared to what i have seen in runs like byrne,perez,loeb,azzarello,marston,simone and ruka.

and her power was very inconsistent compared to the feats i have seen from her in the runs that i mentioned,i don't think ruka WW was exaggerated,because she didn't beat superman,she was powerful enough to put up a good fight and that makes sense if we go by consistent feats,WW has fought superman 4 more times besides the ruka fight,and those fights were wrotte by different writters and in those fights she was also able to put up a good fight against superman,not beat him but put up a good fight,so the bizarro fight was inconsistent because looking at her consistent feats in all her runs and all her fights with superman,it's clear that her consistent level is,not as powerful as superman but powerful enough to put up a really good fight,and that was not the case in the bizarro fight which makes that fight the one that is inconsistent,specially because batman gave a much better fight against bizarro,he was only tagged once and batman doesn't even have super speed while WW does,and there is no way that a peak human can be a better thread in a physical fight against bizarro than an amazon powered up by gods,going by her consistent feats and battle record,she should have been able to put up a good fight against bizarro.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was the weekly, right? Not as bad as Countdown to Infinite Crisis, nowhere near as good as the admirable 52. I've honestly never finished reading it because it was so bland.

As for WW's portrayal specifically, it didn't outright offend me but she seemed to fall into the background while Batman and Superman got the big moments. That's a common complaint about JL ensembles though.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dshipp17

@siab said:

@dshipp17: i think it was bad written in many different ways,first her personality was completely different compared to what i have seen in runs like byrne,perez,loeb,azzarello,marston,simone and ruka.

and her power was very inconsistent compared to the feats i have seen from her in the runs that i mentioned,i don't think ruka WW was exaggerated,because she didn't beat superman,she was powerful enough to put up a good fight and that makes sense if we go by consistent feats,WW has fought superman 4 more times besides the ruka fight,and those fights were wrotte by different writters and in those fights she was also able to put up a good fight against superman,not beat him but put up a good fight,so the bizarro fight was inconsistent because looking at her consistent feats in all her runs and all her fights with superman,it's clear that her consistent level is,not as powerful as superman but powerful enough to put up a really good fight,and that was not the case in the bizarro fight which makes that fight the one that is inconsistent,specially because batman gave a much better fight against bizarro,he was only tagged once and batman doesn't even have super speed while WW does,and there is no way that a peak human can be a better thread in a physical fight against bizarro than an amazon powered up by gods,going by her consistent feats and battle record,she should have been able to put up a good fight against bizarro.

Although her personality might have been inconsistent with those runs, it can be argued that it was consistent with what one would expect a woman to be acting, soon after emerging from Paradise Island; was the personality consistent with what Frank Miller produced and what was shown in Amazons Attack? Although a vocal crowd objected to Amazons Attack and material Azz wrote about the Amazons, it's material that is consistent with what one would expect from someone emerging from the environment present on Paradise Island. Also, the strength level could have been consistent with the Justice League cartoon series, the material produced by Messner-Loebs, material produced by JMS/Hester, some of the other pre-crisis Wonder Woman runs, and some of the post-crisis Wonder Woman runs; it could have even been consistent with material written in other DC books like the Justice League; while you point to some runs that you might have segregated yourself to, as matching your tastes, that doesn't rule out other tastes in the character, so, that does not make his material inconsistent with the character or poorly written; it just means it comes from material that you're either not familiar with or also call bad writing. Yes, her strength level was inconsistent with those runs, but consistent with material in other runs that the runs you cite is inconsistent with.

siab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: all characters are way weaker in the JL cartoons,but even in those cartoons i rememberr that WW got much stronger after the first part of season 3,and i must say that after reading many writters from pre crisis WW,and after reading byrne,loebs,azzarello,perez,ruka and simone,i know for sure that the way WW has been consistently written is,not as powerful as superman but powerful enough to put up a good fight,so the bizarro fight was inconsistent because he shouldn't defeat her easily,going by her consistent feats through her career she should have been able to put up a good fight,and the fact that batman a peak human was a better phyisical threat for bizarro than wonder woman makes it an even bigger inconsistency.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@siab said:

@dshipp17: all characters are way weaker in the JL cartoons,but even in those cartoons i rememberr that WW got much stronger after the first part of season 3,and i must say that after reading many writters from pre crisis WW,and after reading byrne,loebs,azzarello,perez,ruka and simone,i know for sure that the way WW has been consistently written is,not as powerful as superman but powerful enough to put up a good fight,so the bizarro fight was inconsistent because he shouldn't defeat her easily,going by her consistent feats through her career she should have been able to put up a good fight,and the fact that batman a peak human was a better phyisical threat for bizarro than wonder woman makes it an even bigger inconsistency.

Thanks, glad someone agrees with me, I personally thought it was a very sexist and chauvinistic portrayal of Wonder Woman, amongst the two male icons... I mean constantly having to be "bailed out" by Superman all the time and getting totally trashed by a character (Bizarro) who Batman, a normal human in a special suit managed to have a good fight with!!

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dshipp17

@siab said:

Exactly, all characters were weaker in the cartoons, but all of the characters were standardized equally; what you'd be implying is that Wonder Woman was somehow standardized to be even weaker than her counterparts; as an example, Mongul was standardized as weaker in the cartoon, when he faced off against Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman in the Justice League cartoon.

Although I acknowledge your point, the difference between Batman and Wonder Woman in this story, and elsewhere, is that Batman faces his battles with humility (e.g. albeit an analytical form of humility, in choosing to plan out his attacks), while Wonder Woman was brazen, when she faced Bizarro; also, Batman had the ability of hindsight; Batman went after Bizarro, after putting together a plan; Wonder Woman had no plan, when she faced Bizarro, Wonder Woman did not have the benefit of hindsight, and, of course, Wonder Woman approached Bizorro with her traditional brazen streak; again, as I said, Bizarro was portrayed out of character, in my estimate, and Wonder Woman should have put up, not only a better showing, but she should have beat Bizarro, because Bizarro does not move which such coordination.

Additionally, this piece of work was produced in the period between 2002-03, so, Wonder Woman was very consistent with her background; contrary to other commits, this piece of work is cannon; additionally, Rucka and Simone's runs did not exist at that time, but, in keeping consistent with the character, I'd still expect Wagner to have done something similar, if this graphic novel were made in, say, 2012. However, although Wonder Woman might have suffered some bruising, I'd expect that Wonder Woman winning to have been comedic, as she should have clearly out smarted Bizarro; she should have left Bizarro thinking about something, than proceeded to disable him or made a strategic retreat to figure out a plan to counter Bizarro. Perhaps, a better foe for Wagner to have chosen should have been Solomon Grundy, or, replaced Rucka with Wagner, in the battle between Superman and Wonder Woman; with one of those, my support that Wagner made a critical mistake in portraying Wonder Woman's opponent would than fall apart.

siab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: wonder woman is always portrayed as powerful enough to fight superman,that is consistent,not putting a good fight against superman would be the inconsistency.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.