Trinity?

• 67 results
#51 Posted by Superdork (917 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

@jphulk26: Eh they are iconic but I definitely don't agree with your statements. Sure you have the phrase from the animated series saying "I am vengeance, I am the night. I am batman" but Its made clear in almost every Batman story that he is not all about vengeance, and is about Justice (hence the no killing, and takes down criminals while planning for a crime, committing it, or after, but never just cause he thinks they will commit a crime (or else penguin wouldn't be able to have his own club or anything).

And I don't read much WW but spirit of peace?!?! Isn't she supposed to be the warrior of the trinity?!?! The one that never backs down in a fight?!?! I mean I view St. Walker more of a spirit of peace.

Btw Green Lantern is easy cause he is all about one thing, willpower.

Yup, Hal is defined by willpower and courage

Batman is justice

Superman is responsibility and alienation

Wonder Woman is equality

Cyborg is communication

#52 Edited by jphulk26 (1308 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

@jphulk26: Eh they are iconic but I definitely don't agree with your statements. Sure you have the phrase from the animated series saying "I am vengeance, I am the night. I am batman" but Its made clear in almost every Batman story that he is not all about vengeance, and is about Justice (hence the no killing, and takes down criminals while planning for a crime, committing it, or after, but never just cause he thinks they will commit a crime (or else penguin wouldn't be able to have his own club or anything).

For sure its more complicated than I stated, but as a premiss.

But Batman, does what he does and employs the methods that he does, to some how redeem himself for having caused his parents death. He´s so angry inside, so obsessed that he has become the Batman to avenge his parents murder. However to honor his parents and what they believed in, he never wants to cross the line and become like the criminals he fights. If it wasn´t for wanting to honor them and not turn into what he hates, he probably would kill the Joker, or Penguin or any other of his villains. That is clear in the comics.

Superman sense of Justice and perspective, his want to use his powers for good, comes from the simple values of the farm town he grew up in and the values instilled in him by the Kents. So he does stand for justice. He grew up as one of the little guys under thaw of the powerful, so now he uses his immense powers to protect the little guy against those he is to powerless to stand up to himself.

Wonder Woman´s specific reason for journeying to Mans World is to be an Ambassador of Peace. She comes from an Island Utopia that has hidden itself from mans world due to its violence and destruction,and she comes here on a mission of peace, to share the ways of her people, so that they can finally once again integrate themselves with the world at large.

(Spirit of Vengence)

(Spirit of Justice)

(Spirit of Peace)

@Superdork:

I don´t get what you mean by Cyborg is communication. For sure Green Lantern represents will power, but what do you mean by communication? I´m not sure, and I think your wrong about the rest. I´m talking about, if you strip the character down to their basic motivation, what does each one fight for, and thats why they are the trinity. I don´t see how you can fight for willpower or communication. Equality is a component of peace. Superman does not fight for responsibility and alienation. what I´m saying is these are 3 basic main motives that have motivated heroes or literary characters since the beginning of storytelling. Its immediately understood, and it connects with people and because it runs through their comics fighting for peace or Justice or Vengence its made them an iconic trio, as collectively that thematically works.

#53 Posted by TheCannon (17841 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180 said:

@batshrine: cause shes awesome

@telepathic666 said:

the trinity represent the best of DC. it's not about popularity.

@RazzaTazz said:

I would say for a couple of reasons. I think the fact that she is one of the three characters that has been continuously published since the 1940s goes for a lot. Even since the silver age, there have been times when Green Lantern can't hold his own series.

These three comments are pretty accurate.

#54 Posted by batshrine (969 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26: I hear what you are saying and I agree with a lot of it (especially with what you said about WW). But let me give you the non Nolanverse history of Batman.

Batman never believed he caused his parents death. However I think it was beautifully said in a Justice League episode "Better World" where Batman states that he became Batman so "no year old will ever lose his parents because of some punk with a gun." So its definitely not anger that drives Batman but sorrow. So yeah I guess you can say his drive is a vengeful drive but its a vengeful drive to bring justice to Gotham.

So if you are looking at drives then sure Batman is vengeance, WW is peace, and Superman is...?!?! (I honestly don't know what drives Superman).

But if you look at what they fight for I think its clear

Batman - Justice

Superman - Justice

WW - Justice (I mean you don't really see her stopping wars unless something greek is involved...)

#55 Posted by jphulk26 (1308 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine: @batshrine: @batshrine said:

@jphulk26: I hear what you are saying and I agree with a lot of it (especially with what you said about WW). But let me give you the non Nolanverse history of Batman.

Batman never believed he caused his parents death. However I think it was beautifully said in a Justice League episode "Better World" where Batman states that he became Batman so "no year old will ever lose his parents because of some punk with a gun." So its definitely not anger that drives Batman but sorrow. So yeah I guess you can say his drive is a vengeful drive but its a vengeful drive to bring justice to Gotham.

So if you are looking at drives then sure Batman is vengeance, WW is peace, and Superman is...?!?! (I honestly don't know what drives Superman).

Batman - Justice I agree

Superman - Justice I agree

WW - Justice (I mean you don't really see her stopping wars unless something greek is involved...) That´s cause of bad writers, that don´t get her, that is exactly what she´s all about actually. Not coming in directly, but certainly stopping unjust wars or victims of war. Look at Will Marston her creator, or Perez´s origin where she faces off with Ares or Wonder Woman (The spirit of truth) those are real wonder woman stories, and that´s when you really start to care for the character; but they don´t use her like this enough. In all of Ruckas run as well as Ambassador of Themyscira, she´s constantly involved in conflicts, or women being abused or other things like that. Unfortunately alot of writers of comics seem to think people don´t relate to a powerful and benevolent woman, who will get super pissed at a dictator crushing peaceful protests. But when I see WW do things like that I feel elevated. Like she´s a true hero.

#56 Posted by batshrine (969 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26 said:

@batshrine: @batshrine: @batshrine said:

Batman - Justice I agree

Superman - Justice I agree

WW - Justice (I mean you don't really see her stopping wars unless something greek is involved...) That´s cause of bad writers, that don´t get her, that is exactly what she´s all about actually. Not coming in directly, but certainly stopping unjust wars or victims of war. Look at Will Marston her creator, or Perez´s origin where she faces off with Ares or Wonder Woman (The spirit of truth) those are real wonder woman stories, and that´s when you really start to care for the character; but they don´t use her like this enough. In all of Ruckas run as well as Ambassador of Themyscira, she´s constantly involved in conflicts, or women being abused or other things like that. Unfortunately alot of writers of comics seem to think people don´t relate to a powerful and benevolent woman, who will get super pissed at a dictator crushing peaceful protests. But when I see WW do things like that I feel elevated. Like she´s a true hero.

Well said!

#57 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26 said:

@batshrine said:

But Batman, does what he does and employs the methods that he does, to some how redeem himself for having caused his parents death. He´s so angry inside, so obsessed that he has become the Batman to avenge his parents murder. However to honor his parents and what they believed in, he never wants to cross the line and become like the criminals he fights. If it wasn´t for wanting to honor them and not turn into what he hates, he probably would kill the Joker, or Penguin or any other of his villains. That is clear in the comics.

Superman sense of Justice and perspective, his want to use his powers for good, comes from the simple values of the farm town he grew up in and the values instilled in him by the Kents. So he does stand for justice. He grew up as one of the little guys under thaw of the powerful, so now he uses his immense powers to protect the little guy against those he is to powerless to stand up to himself.

Wonder Woman´s specific reason for journeying to Mans World is to be an Ambassador of Peace. She comes from an Island Utopia that has hidden itself from mans world due to its violence and destruction,and she comes here on a mission of peace, to share the ways of her people, so that they can finally once again integrate themselves with the world at large.

(Spirit of Vengence)

(Spirit of Justice)

(Spirit of Peace)

@Superdork:

I don´t get what you mean by Cyborg is communication. For sure Green Lantern represents will power, but what do you mean by communication? I´m not sure, and I think your wrong about the rest. I´m talking about, if you strip the character down to their basic motivation, what does each one fight for, and thats why they are the trinity. I don´t see how you can fight for willpower or communication. Equality is a component of peace. Superman does not fight for responsibility and alienation. what I´m saying is these are 3 basic main motives that have motivated heroes or literary characters since the beginning of storytelling. Its immediately understood, and it connects with people and because it runs through their comics fighting for peace or Justice or Vengence its made them an iconic trio, as collectively that thematically works.

#58 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why there's still a discussion with regards of who should be in the Trinity, seriously? LOL

#59 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio
DC's Big Four
#60 Edited by jphulk26 (1308 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goddessa said:

I don't know why there's still a discussion with regards of who should be in the Trinity, seriously? LOL

I know right.

@OutlawRenegade said:

@jphulk26 said:

@batshrine said:

(Spirit of Vengence)

(Spirit of Justice)

(Spirit of Peace)

@Superdork:

Oh is this from Geoff Johns. No wonder. Love the guy, but his JLA has so many flaws. Entertaining but flawed.

He´s still high off his Green lantern corps stuff; yellow is fear, green is will, red is anger, sapphire is love. Its like the power rangers or something. when they all get together, and call out there color do they summon Captain Planet. :)

#61 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26 said:

@Goddessa said:

I know right.

@OutlawRenegade said:

@jphulk26 said:

@batshrine said:

(Spirit of Vengence)

(Spirit of Justice)

(Spirit of Peace)

@Superdork:

Oh is this from Geoff Johns. No wonder. Love the guy, but his JLA has so many flaws. Entertaining but flawed.

He´s still high off his Green lantern corps yellow is fear, green is will, red is anger, sapphire is love. Its like the power rangers or something. when they all get together, and call out there color do they summon Captain Planet. :)

Or better yet...RAINBOW BRITE :D

#62 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goddessa said:

@jphulk26 said:

@Goddessa said:

I know right.

@OutlawRenegade said:

@jphulk26 said:

@batshrine said:

(Spirit of Vengence)

(Spirit of Justice)

(Spirit of Peace)

@Superdork:

He´s still high off his Green lantern corps yellow is fear, green is will, red is anger, sapphire is love. Its like the power rangers or something. when they all get together, and call out there color do they summon Captain Planet. :)

It's actually for the DC Comics official charity We Can Be Heroes

#63 Posted by batshrine (969 posts) - - Show Bio

@OutlawRenegade said:

@Goddessa said:

@jphulk26 said:

@Goddessa said:

I know right.

@OutlawRenegade said:

@jphulk26 said:

@batshrine said:

(Spirit of Vengence)

(Spirit of Justice)

(Spirit of Peace)

@Superdork:

It's actually for the DC Comics official charity We Can Be Heroes

I like it! I mean all these characters can symbolize multiple things so why not! And its nothing like the power rangers...or the captain planet kids...

Power Rangers just had different colors just so they look different.

Captain Planet was about controlling elements.

The emotional spectrum imo is a cool idea, and why not have it! and GL has always been willpower even before Geoff Johns.

#64 Posted by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine said:

The emotional spectrum imo is a cool idea, and why not have it! and GL has always been willpower even before Geoff Johns.

Agreed!

#65 Posted by jphulk26 (1308 posts) - - Show Bio

@batshrine: @OutlawRenegade: Guys I was joking. I like Geoff Johns. His Green Lantern is pretty cool, even though I don´t like the character. But I just thought, those descriptions of the JL were pretty weird. Cyborg represents communication. what does that even mean? But anyone can think whatever they want. I´m sticking with the trinity is Justice, Peace, Vengence.

#66 Posted by Goddessa (200 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26 said: But I just thought, those descriptions of the JL were pretty weird. Cyborg represents communication. what does that even mean?

Hmmmm Lord of Call Centre agents. LOL

#67 Posted by jphulk26 (1308 posts) - - Show Bio

@Goddessa said:

@jphulk26 said: But I just thought, those descriptions of the JL were pretty weird. Cyborg represents communication. what does that even mean?

Hmmmm Lord of Call Centre agents. LOL

lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.