Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8804 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Trinity?

• 67 results
    batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By batshrine

So I don't mean to sound like a jerk but how is Wonder Woman still considered part of the DC trinity? It seems like the trinity for DC is Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern as far as popularity goes, so why is Wonder Woman still considered part of it?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By z3ro180

@batshrine: cause shes awesome

telepathic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By telepathic666

the trinity represent the best of DC. it's not about popularity.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmashBrawler

@telepathic666 said:

Exactly.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#5  Edited By RazzaTazz

I would say for a couple of reasons. I think the fact that she is one of the three characters that has been continuously published since the 1940s goes for a lot. Even since the silver age, there have been times when Green Lantern can't hold his own series.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Press Oblivion

I gotta run gangsta on this one too. . . .

No Caption Provided

All joking aside though, I agree with this statement!

@telepathic666 said:

Goddessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Goddessa

Green lantern the movie was a major flop...just putting it out there.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By lilben42

Wonder Womans old comics are one of the best selling comics still. The trinity needs a girl in there. She is the most iconic woman along with the two iconic superheroes. Those are the reasons.@batshrine:

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jphulk26

@telepathic666 said:

Hahhahaha, That´s what I like to hear. And to the OP, what did you think you were gonna get from a WW forum? ;)

Green lantern isn´t in the Amazons league and his movie sucked.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By darkman61288

There shouldn't be a trinity of superheroes. All characters should be equal.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Captain13

The responses to this thread would be different if it were posted in the Hal Jordan, Green Lantern, or Justice League forum. Just saying.

@telepathic666 said:

Actually, it is. The trinity is made up of the 3 highest selling characters after Fredric Wertham wrote Seduction of the Innocent. Since It was created to include the 3 highest selling characters then, there is no reason it shouldn't reflect the three highest selling characters now.

And how do you measure "best" if you're not talking about sales? Let me guess: you're stating an opinion instead of an argument. -_-

@RazzaTazz said:

I would say for a couple of reasons. I think the fact that she is one of the three characters that has been continuously published since the 1940s goes for a lot. Even since the silver age, there have been times when Green Lantern can't hold his own series.

The same could be said for many characters who are not on the trinity.

@Goddessa said:

Not the fault of the character or his popularity. I have a feeling that if the Wonder Woman film flopped, you wouldn't say that is a reason to kick her out of the trinity.

@lilben42 said:

Wonder Womans old comics are one of the best selling comics still. The trinity needs a girl in there. She is the most iconic woman along with the two iconic superheroes. Those are the reasons.@batshrine:

The "token" argument. If there is a token woman, why is there no token person of color or no token homosexual? If you can't answer that well, then the weakness in your argument becomes very clear.

And I agree with this:

@darkman61288 said:

I hate the idea of the trinity because it's a cool kids club (trinity) in a cool kids club (Justice League founders) in a cool kids club (Justice League). WTF.

If something like the Trinity has to exist, it should be made up of DC's 3 highest selling characters (Superman, Batman, Hal Jordan) and two characters who add diversity and history (Wonder Woman and Cyborg). You could call them "The Five" or "The Circle" or something like that.

Goddessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Goddessa

@Captain13: I am just stating that Green Lantern film was a major flop! Your 'What if" scenario is senseless since WW has not had a film yet. That GL movie was meant to fail since the character itself, including his primary base of operation which is outer space, only distances himself from normal movie goers compared to Batman and Superman who are actually on Earth. Unless it's a Star Wars film, a GL movie is only good back in the shelves.

Even if GL sells a billion titles, he will never be part of the Trinity. TRINITY is Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman then, now, and forever. Deal with it!

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Captain13

@Goddessa said:

@Captain13: I am just stating that Green Lantern film was a major flop! Your 'What if" scenario is senseless since WW has not had a film yet. That GL movie was meant to fail since the character itself, including his primary base of operation which is outer space, only distances himself from normal movie goers comapred Batman and Superman who are actually on Earth. Unless it's a Star Wars film, a GL movie is only good back in the shelves.

Even if GL sells a billion titles, he will never be part of the Trinity. TRINITY is Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman then, now, and forever. Deal with it!

First, Star Wars is not the only space franchise that sells. Just look at Mass Effect, Halo, Star Trek, Aliens, Predator, and millions of other franchises. Green Lantern had a big opening weekend, but the numbers dropped after that because people heard that the film sucked. The audience for the movie was there. And space will always be a popular topic for multi-media franchises.

Oh, and Green Lantern outsells Wonder Woman and Superman in the comics by a lot, so if you think that there is something wrong with the Green Lantern character, then there must be something really wrong with those other characters.

Second, there are many swords and sandal films like Wonder Woman that have failed too, so what are you even saying? Percy Jackson, Clash of the Titans, Wrath of the Titans, and many others were also flops. I'm not saying Wonder Woman will fail, but you can't attack an entire genre and get away with it.

Third, you do not read Green Lantern. I recommend that you start with Green Lantern: Secret Origin. Then read Rebirth, Sinestro Corps Wars, Rage of the Red Lanterns, and the Alan Moore and Geoff Johns stories, then get back to me.

@Goddessa said:

It should be this way because it has always been this way is not a legitimate argument. That was used to fight for issues like slavery and the prevention of gay marriage. I'm not saying this discussion is on that level, but I am saying that you don't have a legitimate or reasonable argument. You're just stating your personal preference. The fact that you can't use reasoning to defend Wonder Woman's place in the Trinity says something. Good night.

P.S. I am a Wonder Woman fan.

Goddessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Goddessa

@Captain13: I don't want to waste my time with people who loves to argue, I just say whatever is there. GL Film FLopped! Wonder Woman is Trinity.

I have collected the Blackest Night and The War of the Green Lanterns, and personally I can't stand a comic book where storylines are based on different characters. If Hal Jordan needs Kyle, John Stewart, or whoever member of the corps to carry a title, for me it implies he's not good enough to carry a solo comic book series much less a movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who needs trinity when you got The Worlds Finest 2.0?

This is what they do to trolls!

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Captain13

@Goddessa: Lol, okay. This is said in a thread in which fans think Wonder Woman should be the token female (next to characters who actually sell well) to be relevant. Good night.

@lilben42 said:

The trinity needs a girl in there.

Goddessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Goddessa

@drgnx said:

Who needs trinity when you got The Worlds Finest 2.0?

I like it!!!

As long as there's no GL there :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Goddessa:

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Captain13 said:

@Goddessa: Lol, okay. This is said in a thread in which fans think Wonder Woman should be the token female (next to characters who actually sell well) to be relevant. Good night.

@lilben42 said:

The trinity needs a girl in there.

Zatara kind of gave his spot up, he couldn't handle the fame ...

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By batshrine

@jphulk26 said:

@telepathic666 said:

Hahhahaha, That´s what I like to hear. And to the OP, what did you think you were gonna get from a WW forum? ;)

Cause I wanted people to defend her stance and give me legit reasons why she is still on the Trinity, if I go anywhere else I would get a lot more "kick her out!" and thats not what I am looking for. AS far as movies that sucked, both Superman and Batman had their fair share so I don't think thats merit enough to kick someone out or off of the trinity, but point of the matter is Bats, Supes, and GL got a movie, and WW didn't.

The argument that the Trinity represent DC the best intrigues me, how so?

@Captain13 said:

The responses to this thread would be different if it were posted in the Hal Jordan, Green Lantern, or Justice League forum. Just saying.

@telepathic666 said:

Actually, it is. The trinity is made up of the 3 highest selling characters after Fredric Wertham wrote Seduction of the Innocent. Since It was created to include the 3 highest selling characters then, there is no reason it shouldn't reflect the three highest selling characters now.

And how do you measure "best" if you're not talking about sales? Let me guess: you're stating an opinion instead of an argument. -_-

@RazzaTazz said:

@Goddessa said:

Not the fault of the character or his popularity. I have a feeling that if the Wonder Woman film flopped, you wouldn't say that is a reason to kick her out of the trinity.

@lilben42 said:

The "token" argument. If there is a token woman, why is there no token person of color or no token homosexual? If you can't answer that well, then the weakness in your argument becomes very clear.

And I agree with this:

@darkman61288 said:

I hate the idea of the trinity because it's a cool kids club (trinity) in a cool kids club (Justice League founders) in a cool kids club (Justice League). WTF.

If something like the Trinity has to exist, it should be made up of DC's 3 highest selling characters (Superman, Batman, Hal Jordan) and two characters who add diversity and history (Wonder Woman and Cyborg). You could call them "The Five" or "The Circle" or something like that.

I have to give it to Captain13, he makes a lot of sense logically. I however do like the idea of a trinity but thats because I like to see who DC and its fans put on a pedistal.

And the only legitimate reason I got for WW being on the Trinity is that she used to be the most popular when the concept of a Trinity was even made, and that she has been published the longest continually. However longest doesn't seem to serve merit cause lets face it Robin is more famous than Wonder Woman, and sells way better than Wonder Woman (at least currently).

So my question is if she is on the Trinity because she used to be more popular, then why is she still on? And I am not trying to antagonize WW fans, I just want to hear a solid defense for her to be on the Trinity (and I for one think she should be) but trying to find a good logical reason (which I don't have one).

Goddessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Goddessa

@batshrine: She's more powerful than Robin or Hal, and she's way suitable for a love triangle with batman and Superman compared to Hal and Robin. :P

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jphulk26

@batshrine: @batshrine: Sorry I was dismissive, I´ll defo give u my answer tomorrow since you´re interested. But I think their is very good reason she is on the Trinity, the answers given just made me laugh, cause in my head they were the first things that came to mind as a response to your question.

By the way a quick answer to your question is, even though Green Lantern sells more now that doesn´t mean he´s more well known. The comicbook community is very small. WW is still the most iconic and well known of DC´s heroes outside Superman and Batman, everything that happens to her, if she gets a change of outfit or origin, is hotly debated, even in the mainstream media, for instance if they did an arch where she actually died it would be as news worthy as the death of superman. The media would likely pick up on it. She´s become an icon in so many ways, making the cover of Ms Magazine a 70s feminist publication, which is unheard of among superheroes. As a female superhero her mythology is also incredibly unique and a message of empowerment to many people. So I think its really down to that, her comic sales are kind of irrelivent, because you ask people who know nothing about comics to name some superheroes Green Lantern is very unlikely to come up, where as WW is likely to be in their list.

As I said I´ll give you a more in-depth answer tomorrow, but that´s my thoughts on it basically.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batshrine: Where are you getting this from? There has not been a lot on this recently to my knowledge.

After Superman, there was Zatara, Batman and Wonder Women. DC decided to build a Primary Bond with Superman and Batman then a secondary one with all 3 of them, and a 3rd level with the JLA. They had other plans with Zatara, so he was never grouped in with them, but beyond that it seems based on appearance and to a degree popularity. The reason DC keeps them is tradition, and it is not like they play on them a constantly. I've not seen anything over the top in DCnU. In Earth 2 they were first heroes, but now they are dead.

Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Urban_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26:

I think you're over justifying it. The relationship itself is Iconic. Look at Batman and Robin, he has had so many Robins and people are always wanting to seem him interact with his old robins, so you have crossovers. The reason they keep the Trinity is because people want to see them interact. The official team is the JLA, not the trinity, the trinity refers to an icon relationship that needs no more justification than that its iconic. All those characters are free to have other team-ups if they want. Flash and Superman are another icon team-up, for instance, they just don't have a name. Replacing W.W. with G.L. would not be the Trinity, it would be something else (you can call them the Trio, triumvirate, or 3 musketeers 2.0).

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jphulk26

@drgnx: @drgnx said:

@jphulk26:

Replacing W.W. with G.L. would not be the Trinity, it would be something else (you can call them the Trio, triumvirate, or 3 musketeers 2.0).

:)

I don´t agree and I´ll tell you why once I get some sleep.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: Before you type an essay =P, It was really meant to be Smart *$$ comment. But basically I'm saying you can do other team ups, but I don't see the need to break the WW/SM/BM relationship.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lilben42

@Captain13: I mean there are a big number of woman who read comics. Homosexuals sure could be big or small but I dont think there is enough to match the number of Woman. Wonder Woman is still the most iconic woman and that represents all colors of women. I was more thinking of if there wasnt an important woman in the DC universe there would be some more complaints or thats just where I live. That probably is one of the reasons her popularity back then. I really cant think of anything either just kind of spitting out stuff, but I mean Green Lantern has a movie and a tv show he should be more popular at least thats what I think.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By lilben42

@Captain13: And her animated movie made more than green lantern or justice league a new frontier in fact it barely made more than batman under the red hood.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Press Oblivion

@Captain13 said:

Is this about sales or understanding the world that these characters exist in? If you want to do it by how many books a character family has then I can see where the OP is coming from but it still doesn't work because Hal is only featured in one other title and changing the dynamic of the world that these characters live in is destroying what the "trinity" is about, leadership and heart. Wonder Woman kicks Green Lantern's ass, it's well documented and he doesn't get a pass because there are more family titles than Wonder Woman.

These three characters are in the top tier not because of self imposition but because other characters look to them for leadership and respect for their power, responsibility, reliability and all that they have achieved. They came first and have also set an example for newer characters and it's these newer characters that placed them at the top of the heap. This idea has been adopted and accepted by the readership as well.

She isn't a token, the character has earned it with nearly 75 years of being in the pop culture social consciousness and representing an ideal.

It's not about the money. . . not in this case.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By colonyofcells

Wonder Woman became part of the big 3 bec. she was published continuously when Jay Garrick and Alan Scott got cancelled ending the golden age. It will also take many years for Hal Jordan to dislodge Wonder Woman from the big 3 bec. the popularity of Green Lantern tended to go up and down, so non comic book people know Wonder Woman better than Green Lantern bec. Wonder Woman has had more years to penetrate the culture. When I started in the bronze age, Green Lantern was just a back up in the Flash comics so Green Lantern has been absent more often. Post-coie, it took many years for Hal Jordan to get back his regular series. For a while, it was Kyle Rayner. Now it is Hal Jordan again.

Goddessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Goddessa

@Press Oblivion: There you go. End of discussion. :)

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By darkman61288

As stated before I dont like idea of a trinity but I would have to say historically it is Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. But however now this no trinity. At DC comics it is only Batman and the everyone else. Superman and Wonder Woman are losing popularity and DC is getting desperate with them. This evident by their pairing as a couple. Which gets me to the idea of that DC needs new heroes to take their place as the ideal heroes. If none around that are fit for that then DC must create new heroes to do it.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deaditegonzo

Honestly, and this is only my opinion, I think the reason Hal isnt in the Trinity is because he doesnt have icon status, like at all. Wonder Woman is recognizable to all people, and while the Green Lantern is likely pretty well known, most people dont particularly care about him, and the most likely response youd get if you asked them about him is, "Isnt his weakness yellow?" or "The black guy from the JLA, right?"

He is certainly more popular than WW these days, AMONGST READERS, but he has no influence outside of comic book circles. DC's greatest leverage is their iconic characters over all other competition even Marvel, they have three characters that are now solidly a part of Americana. Just my two cents here.

Goddessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Goddessa

@deaditegonzo said:

Honestly, and this is only my opinion, I think the reason Hal isnt in the Trinity is because he doesnt have icon status, like at all. Wonder Woman is recognizable to all people, and while the Green Lantern is likely pretty well known, most people dont particularly care about him, and the most likely response youd get if you asked them about him is, "Isnt his weakness yellow?" or "The black guy from the JLA, right?"

He is certainly more popular than WW these days, AMONGST READERS, but he has no influence outside of comic book circles. DC's greatest leverage is their iconic characters over all other competition even Marvel, they have three characters that are now solidly a part of Americana. Just my two cents here.

This statement is very true. Hailing form the Land Down Under, nobody really cares about GL here that's why nobody went to the cinemas when his film was shown. Try going to a superhero costume parties, all the women would either suit up as Wonder Woman or Supergirl and even some of the men...but no one dresses up as a Green Lantern. Even among kids here, no one recognizes a Green Lantern.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jphulk26

@drgnx: I was laughing at that point, I wasn´t disagreeing with it.

I disagreed with the rest of your statement. I also shall not write an essay. ;) I know I do sometimes, but not on this subject. I was just going to flesh out the point I made.

@deaditegonzo said:

In fact I can save time, cause this is basically what I was gonna say. I was just going to add that her impact on culture is much greater as well, first female superhero, one of the 3 continuously published since te 40s, there´s the author WMM sketchy past, feminists latching on to her as an icon, pinup icon, every girls favorite halloween costume, within comics she´s also got an absolutely love her or hate her dividing line (ie like superman people care, even if negatively, not the same with Green Lantern), people, even the media care what happens to her, there was actual New coverage of when WW changed her outfit. Do you think that would happen with Green Lantern? And there´s much much more.

I couldn´t have put it better myself, she´s part of Americana, she´s part of the pop culture and image America presents to the world, much like Bugs Bunny or Micky Mouse. That trumps her comic sales, because really only a minority of people buy comics. I mean in pop culture even Supergirl is more well known than Green Lantern. I mean the fact his movie flopped the way it did in the mist of this Superhero frenzy just goes to show, Thor made made more than him, Captain America made more, that´s cause the general public aren´t interested.(although I know it being bad had an affect on it success, and know doubt a good GL movie could make alot of money, but I think even a bad WW movie would make more than his did; just cause people would be curious, she has an established name) He hasn´t that much iconic about him, unfortunately. If there is one character in the DC that could possibly replace WW in terms of popularity and iconic status, the only one would be The Joker. He is the only DC character outside Batman and Superman that has penetrated the social consciousness more than WW; possibly even more than Superman at this point. But he´s a villain, so I don´t see that happening.

Thats my say.

By the way is Green Lanterns cartoon popular? do you know? cause I really can´t sit through an episode, and I´m basically a man child, but I think its horrible. Thats not the characters fault, but I was just wondering how its doing.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WDW

Its funny how people dont understand how unique Wonder Woman is in all comics.

You dont have to like her but you have to acknowledge how unique and original she is compared to other female superheros.

She is basically one of the oldest and only female superhero POWERHOUSE that is not based off a male superhero counterpart and thats including Marvel and DC comics.

For example off the top of my head

Supergirl (Superman ripoff)

Power Girl (Superman ripoff)

Ms Marvel (Capt Marvel ripoff)

She Hulk (Hulk ripoff)

Superwoman (Superman ripoff)

All Batgirls (Batman ripoff)

as for green lantern... there are like 6 different ones.... Wonder Woman has always been DIANA. she has way more history than a whole bunch of different green lanterns. It would be silly to attempt to push him as trinity in wonder womans place.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Which Green Lantern? 

Against, which Wonder Woman? 

That's why she's one of the trinity.

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Skunkstein

Yeah, she still is. As many already said, its not about popularity, because then she wouldnt even be a trinity before flashpoint.

Goddessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Goddessa

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Which Green Lantern? Against, which Wonder Woman? That's why she's one of the trinity.

EXACTLY!

It's actually not hard to understand, I just don't get why some people can't grasp this! :P

Goddessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Goddessa

@WDW said:

Its funny how people dont understand how unique Wonder Woman is in all comics.

You dont have to like her but you have to acknowledge how unique and original she is compared to other female superheros.

She is basically one of the oldest and only female superhero POWERHOUSE that is not based off a male superhero counterpart and thats including Marvel and DC comics.

For example off the top of my head

Supergirl (Superman ripoff)

Power Girl (Superman ripoff)

Ms Marvel (Capt Marvel ripoff)

She Hulk (Hulk ripoff)

Superwoman (Superman ripoff)

All Batgirls (Batman ripoff)

as for green lantern... there are like 6 different ones.... Wonder Woman has always been DIANA. she has way more history than a whole bunch of different green lanterns. It would be silly to attempt to push him as trinity in wonder womans place.

Yeah agree with you there....Silly indeed.

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By herrweis

@batshrine: she is still part of it.green lantern is popular right now.but just right now.diana is an icone who has had 70 years of popularity.think i'm wrong?in the past 18 moths she has had a cosmetic line from MAC designed after her.fashion designers do whole collections based on her.and every halloween about 100,000 wonder woman costumes are sold..to adults no less.Ive said it like this to some folks.my dad MAY know who green lantern is,my granddad KNOWS who wonder woman is.that is the real level of popularity that makes Dcs big 3 the real BIG 3( of all comics),they span from ages 70-5.sure she may not sell as well as others,but she iss till the best selling solo female in comics,she is still the icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

@drgnx: I was laughing at that point, I wasn´t disagreeing with it.

I disagreed with the rest of your statement. I also shall not write an essay. ;) I know I do sometimes, but not on this subject. I was just going to flesh out the point I made.

The reason I said that was because I had a feeling you were going to misinterpret my point and didn't want you to spend time responding to a misinterpretation.

telepathic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By telepathic666

@batshrine said:

@jphulk26 said:

@telepathic666 said:

Cause I wanted people to defend her stance and give me legit reasons why she is still on the Trinity, if I go anywhere else I would get a lot more "kick her out!" and thats not what I am looking for. AS far as movies that sucked, both Superman and Batman had their fair share so I don't think thats merit enough to kick someone out or off of the trinity, but point of the matter is Bats, Supes, and GL got a movie, and WW didn't.

The argument that the Trinity represent DC the best intrigues me, how so?

@Captain13 said:

@telepathic666 said:

@RazzaTazz said:

@Goddessa said:

@lilben42 said:

And I agree with this:

@darkman61288 said:

I have to give it to Captain13, he makes a lot of sense logically. I however do like the idea of a trinity but thats because I like to see who DC and its fans put on a pedistal.

And the only legitimate reason I got for WW being on the Trinity is that she used to be the most popular when the concept of a Trinity was even made, and that she has been published the longest continually. However longest doesn't seem to serve merit cause lets face it Robin is more famous than Wonder Woman, and sells way better than Wonder Woman (at least currently).

So my question is if she is on the Trinity because she used to be more popular, then why is she still on? And I am not trying to antagonize WW fans, I just want to hear a solid defense for her to be on the Trinity (and I for one think she should be) but trying to find a good logical reason (which I don't have one).

Regardless of sales or popularity they are the most iconic characters in DC. It's just a perfect balance. When you have superman the all powerful (mostly), Batman...need i say more. I may not like his fanboys who are the worst of the worst, Batman has skill and brains. And wonder woman who is the happy medium. Between the three they have a thing that works. like if you were going into a fight those are three id want to be there. And im not knocking green lantern who is a power house but there are so many you can't really just put one there and be like this is it. like for instance my brother only saw the cartoon insisted that green lantern was black and he was the first. I laughed in his face. The Flash maybe but again there are like 3 different flashes and most know wally west and people who don't know any better say he is the first. Now Diana may not have been the first originally but she the one most associated with the mantle. Like it or not these three represent the best of The DC Universe. now i know people are going to disagree but hey this is all an opinion and for facts i suggest you march into DC comics HQ and demand them. see how far that gets you.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By batshrine

@telepathic666: Hey I'm a Batman fan boy! (though if we ever got into the topic, I'm sure you'd hate my guts) but don't let that ruin the character for you!

To be honest I totally get how she is a cultural icon, not based off of another character, and how when we think WW we don't think Hypollita, or Donna Troy but we think Diana unlike when we say GL we could be thinking any one of them (and imo Hal is the WORST of them and DC should kill him again, only permanently).

And I am really happy with the responses I got from the second two pages as opposed to the first page which was all "she has to be just because!" or "she's a girl thats why!"

@lilben42: I am sorry that was a bit of a bigoted statement. I mean there are more middle aged white males reading comics than anyone else are you saying that because of that there should be more middle age white superheroes. And I'm pretty positive most of them are overweight too...Representation shouldn't be about the audience, it should be about including and actually representing everyone. And if you do a good enough job, maybe you'd start generating that audience. And I'm sure any "colored" (to use your language) woman could be used to represent all women too since I mean the point is she is a woman. However a white person cannot and will not represent a black person (especially in our highly racialized society)

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Press Oblivion

@batshrine said:

And I am really happy with the responses I got from the second two pages as opposed to the first page which was all "she has to be just because!" or "she's a girl thats why!

LOL :D

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By colonyofcells

Hal Jordan is just remembered by some people as the cause of a flop movie and a flop cartoon and Hal Jordan is not really a cultural icon like Wonder Woman.

Goddessa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Goddessa

@colonyofcells said:

Hal Jordan is just remembered by some people as the cause of a flop movie and a flop cartoon and Hal Jordan is not really a cultural icon like Wonder Woman.

LOL

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jphulk26

@Goddessa: @Press Oblivion: @telepathic666: @telepathic666 said:

@batshrine said:

@jphulk26 said:

Regardless of sales or popularity they are the most iconic characters in DC. It's just a perfect balance.

Exactly:

Superman Spirit of Justice

Batman Spirit of Vengence

Wonder Woman Spirit of peace

Green Lantern Spirit of "Uhhhhh"??????

well I guess you could call him the spirit of will - could work but not quite as meaningful as the trio.

batshrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By batshrine

@jphulk26: Eh they are iconic but I definitely don't agree with your statements. Sure you have the phrase from the animated series saying "I am vengeance, I am the night. I am batman" but Its made clear in almost every Batman story that he is not all about vengeance, and is about Justice (hence the no killing, and takes down criminals while planning for a crime, committing it, or after, but never just cause he thinks they will commit a crime (or else penguin wouldn't be able to have his own club or anything).

And I don't read much WW but spirit of peace?!?! Isn't she supposed to be the warrior of the trinity?!?! The one that never backs down in a fight?!?! I mean I view St. Walker more of a spirit of peace.

Btw Green Lantern is easy cause he is all about one thing, willpower.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.