Time Out Chicago talks with Azzarello

#1 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman and Before Watchmen writer Brian Azzarello | Interview outtakes

I found this article while trying to research some background on how Azzarello first became connected with Wonder Woman.

I found this bit of information interesting.

TOC: How did this gig come about?

AZZ:I was out to dinner with Dan DiDio. This was actually prior to the New 52 becoming the New 52. We were actually in talks about me doing a different character. We’ve gone out to dinner and I told him what my feelings were about taking this character in a certain direction. He was happy with it, so we were finalizing that. I asked, “Are you doing this [heading in new directions] with some of the other ones?” He said Batman is staying Batman, and he told me what editorial wanted to do for Wonder Woman. I was appalled. I came up with something different right there at dinner. I thought the direction was going to be a mistake for that character, right at her core. And I knew nothing about her!

asd

He knew nothing about the character. . . . who knows what we could have gotten if not for that clandestine dinner with Didio. Having known nothing about the character, how could he know what wad right for Wonder Woman. . . . interesting.

http://timeoutchicago.com/things-to-do/chicago-blog/15863746/wonder-woman-and-before-watchmen-writer-brian-azzarello-interview

#2 Posted by RoboShark (1271 posts) - - Show Bio

Kevin Smith didn't know anything about Batman. I loved his Bat books, I know lots of people didn't though.

#3 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

@Press Oblivion said:

Wonder Woman and Before Watchmen writer Brian Azzarello | Interview outtakes

I found this article while trying to research some background on how Azzarello first became connected with Wonder Woman.

I found this bit of information interesting.

TOC: How did this gig come about?

AZZ:I was out to dinner with Dan DiDio. This was actually prior to the New 52 becoming the New 52. We were actually in talks about me doing a different character. We’ve gone out to dinner and I told him what my feelings were about taking this character in a certain direction. He was happy with it, so we were finalizing that. I asked, “Are you doing this [heading in new directions] with some of the other ones?” He said Batman is staying Batman, and he told me what editorial wanted to do for Wonder Woman. I was appalled. I came up with something different right there at dinner. I thought the direction was going to be a mistake for that character, right at her core. And I knew nothing about her!

asd

He knew nothing about the character. . . . who knows what we could have gotten if not for that clandestine dinner with Didio. Having known nothing about the character, how could he know what wad right for Wonder Woman. . . . interesting.

http://timeoutchicago.com/things-to-do/chicago-blog/15863746/wonder-woman-and-before-watchmen-writer-brian-azzarello-interview

This is actually not recent, i had heard about this annecdote before

Dan Dido tells him what he wants to do with the character and azzarello objects and thats how he got the job

But i was always curious on what was going to be that direction

about not knowing anything about the character

well its not the first time something like that has happen, some are more successful and some are not, I know Nocenti knew absolutely nothing about Green Arrow before taking the title

#4 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just curious as to what the original treatment was supposed to be for here. Perhaps this original pitch was more closely tied to what's happening in Justice League and this is why there's such a difference between the characterizations of her between the two books.. . . I can speculate forever, I guess we'll never know.

#5 Posted by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@arnoldoaad: Yeah, but the guy probably did research before writing him, or actually found something about iconography of Green Arrow appealling. Azzerrello didn´t like the character at all.

#6 Posted by Billy Batson (58024 posts) - - Show Bio

Old article.
You shouldn't take hist last words literally. Pretty much everyone knows something about WW. He just hadn't wrote her before.
What would have gotten instead? Most likely another mediocre run by a fan writer a la Gail Simone instead of a critically acclaimed run from an outside perspective.
BB

#7 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26 said:

@arnoldoaad: Yeah, but the guy probably did research before writing him, or actually found something about iconography of Green Arrow appealling. Azzerrello didn´t like the character at all.

actually, that's what I was looking for, a note about his distaste for the character. I found this and thought it was interesting.

@Billy Batson said:

Old article.

I'm not sure how that's relevant. I was trying to feature how he acquired the writing position on the Wonder Woman title. While I am enjoying the title I would have rather seen something else involving more familiar staples of the character and his recounting of how he managed to get that job sparks my curiosity as to what might have been if not for that dinner with Didio.

@Billy Batson said:

You shouldn't take hist last words literally.

I wasn't. He knows nothing about Wonder Woman the same as I know nothing about Billy Batson. If I heard a pitch about Captain Marvel that sounded out of sorts, the last thing I would do is offer a counter proposal on the grounds that it's bad for the character at its core.

That's unless the idea was sooooo far removed from what everyone commonly knows about Captain Marvel that you would have to step in for the sake of heritage. . . . like. . . Here's what we're going to do with Captain Marvel. . . He was born in the center of a star in the epsilon nebula and came to Earth on the back of a pink plastic pony wearing only giant sunglasses and when he spoke the word SHAZAM! a mystical top hat would appear above his head with a house cat named Tawny skipping around it's brim singing a ring around the rosy. . . . if that's the case with Wonder Woman, then more power to Azzarello.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.