Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Thoughts on SM/WW18?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Did you Wonder Woman fans hate it, love it, liked it or "meh?"

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

definately Meh

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The book finally focused on Superman, although I like Wonder Woman a lot I always felt the book swayed more to WW over Superman

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is what Wonder Woman's doing while her kingdom's in shambles and the Amazons spill the blood of her innocent brothers to whom she promised protection. Wonder Woman looks and sounds like a stiff and the way she carried him to Smallville looked more as though he was carrying her, god forbid that a woman should carry Superman on her back, worse even, in her arms.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CSG_CL

I really don't care for Tomasi. This issue was fine (lame inner monologues aside), but Tomasi seems to have this need to make everything about their relationship dramatic. Clark is a wuss and Diana is a touch creepy (seriously watching him sleep???). Although I will say I liked that Diana didn't seem at all threatened by "Big Red" being Clark's first girlfriend ... but didn't Diana and Lana already meet during Doomed (I can't recall, or perhaps I've been trying to scrub my brain of that travesty).

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

The book finally focused on Superman, although I like Wonder Woman a lot I always felt the book swayed more to WW over Superman

Interestingly I've found that I feel that the book is much more SM focused. WW has always felt like a "guest star" in the SM/WW title to me. Especially because of Doomed and the reliance on SM villains in nearly every arc so far.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I give you a point with Doomed.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Archizooom

Wonder Woman shows an almost robot-like indifference in regard to Superman's ex-girlfriends, particularly when she spoke to Lois Lane. It didn't come off as self-assurance, it read more like her head was rather filled with air.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman shows an almost robot-like indifference in regard to Superman's ex-girlfriends, particularly when she spoke to Lois Lane. It didn't come off as self-assurance, it read more like her head was rather filled with air.

That's poor writing ... it's clear the intent, if not the execution, was meant to show her as confident not intimidated by the idea of an ex

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CSG_CL
    Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

I really don't care for Tomasi. This issue was fine (lame inner monologues aside), but Tomasi seems to have this need to make everything about their relationship dramatic. Clark is a wuss and Diana is a touch creepy (seriously watching him sleep???). Although I will say I liked that Diana didn't seem at all threatened by "Big Red" being Clark's first girlfriend ... but didn't Diana and Lana already meet during Doomed (I can't recall, or perhaps I've been trying to scrub my brain of that travesty).

Are you being serious? Superman lost his powers and is now weak and vulnerable. There are many people that would take that opportunity to kill him. Diana laying beside Clark watching over him was a very nice moment. It showed her protectiveness of him and how she won't let anyone harm him.

Oh and I don't think Lana and Diana actually met. When Wonder Woman flew down to Supes after he inhaled the Doomed virus Lana was watching her from a distance but they never spoke. I doubt Diana even noticed her.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@klaus said:
    @csg_cl said:

Are you being serious? Superman lost his powers and is now weak and vulnerable. There are many people that would take that opportunity to kill him. Diana laying beside Clark watching over him was a very nice moment. It showed her protectiveness of him and how she won't let anyone harm him.

Oh and I don't think Lana and Diana actually met. When Wonder Woman flew down to Supes after he inhaled the Doomed virus Lana was watching her from a distance but they never spoke. I doubt Diana even noticed her.

IT's also putting the shoe on the other foot. Clark seems to be very protective of those around him, he'd be even more so with his Girlfriend despite that she can fend of for her self, it's just how he was raised. He's obviously grown to trust her more as we saw in the last arc.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

So many different opinions. Seems like the issue was pretty interesting.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Not where Soule is concerned, or Tony Daniel, whoever wrote that rubbish. I am really not sure what he was trying to achieve by placing Wonder Woman in that situation and it doesn't matter, what matters is how it came across.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:
    @csg_cl said:

@brunnhilde

@saintwildcard

a little serious, a little sarcastic. I found the scene a little silly to be honest. If they were all so very worried that Clark was going to get killed in his sleep, lock him up in the watchtower. It's as stupid as him getting all worked up for Diana's safety after she kicked Faora's a$$ ... I was like "dude, she did significantly better than you did" ... This entire discussion is why I think this comic has been weak since the very beginning. And what about the dialogue from the Smallville old timers? Did they also go back in time 100 years? Living in a small town does not automatically make these people speak like farmers from the 1850s

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is what Wonder Woman's doing while her kingdom's in shambles and the Amazons spill the blood of her innocent brothers to whom she promised protection. Wonder Woman looks and sounds like a stiff and the way she carried him to Smallville looked more as though he was carrying her, god forbid that a woman should carry Superman on her back, worse even, in her arms.

well the relationship is pretty sexist and not feminist, what you expect?

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well the relationship is pretty sexist and not feminist, what you expect?

I was actually dying to see Wonder Woman carry Superman in her arms or give him a piggyback ride to Smallville, I didn't think there was another option other than to skip the trip altogether

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

a little serious, a little sarcastic. I found the scene a little silly to be honest. If they were all so very worried that Clark was going to get killed in his sleep, lock him up in the watchtower. It's as stupid as him getting all worked up for Diana's safety after she kicked Faora's a$$ ... I was like "dude, she did significantly better than you did" ... This entire discussion is why I think this comic has been weak since the very beginning. And what about the dialogue from the Smallville old timers? Did they also go back in time 100 years? Living in a small town does not automatically make these people speak like farmers from the 1850s

Maybe they wanted a tender moment together alone, Doubt they'll get that at the Watchtower. For all we know the probably banged, kill two birds with one stone. As for why he worries about her... that's kinda his thing. He worries about everyone and rather no one get hurt. Plus we got to see how far he's come in Tomasi's first arc about trusting her. It was once said what made Batman and Superman different as leaders. While Batman uses people to their fullest potential, Superman would rather go fight by himself so no one gets hurt. The diolouge didn't seem weird, plus those dudes were above 50 which makes even more sense.

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

Maybe they wanted a tender moment together alone, Doubt they'll get that at the Watchtower. For all we know the probably banged, kill two birds with one stone. As for why he worries about her... that's kinda his thing. He worries about everyone and rather no one get hurt. Plus we got to see how far he's come in Tomasi's first arc about trusting her. It was once said what made Batman and Superman different as leaders. While Batman uses people to their fullest potential, Superman would rather go fight by himself so no one gets hurt. The diolouge didn't seem weird, plus those dudes were above 50 which makes even more sense.

excuses and excuses lol superman was being sexist, ww did much better on the fight. I really don't like this new whiny,sexist new 52 superman

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

excuses and excuses lol superman was being sexist, ww did much better on the fight. I really don't like this new whiny,sexist new 52 superman

Being a gentlemen and caring about people and your GF is sexist? Child, you don't know true sexism. Talk to the women of the early 1920's and the 70's to see what true sexism is.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CSG_CL

@csg_cl said:

Lots of maybes/probably and suppositions in there :)

Thier dialogue is a small minded take on what "rural america must sound like" ... it's just hokey IMO. Being over 50 in a small town doesn't make you immediately speak like an "old coot" ... this isn't the Beverly Hillbillies or The Dukes of Hazzard! I also reject that SM is an effective leader ... the scenario you describe boils him down to an arrogant a$$ ... we saw this being portrayed in Timm-verse JL and we saw how ineffective he was because of it.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard said:
    @csg_cl said:

I wouldn't say sexist ... stupid sure, but it's not like he told her to go back to the "woman's work"

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
    BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

That banging is a maybe, but the one thing that isn't is the tender embrace of the two. That definitely seems like a moment the two wanted to be alone together.

Thier dialogue is a small minded take on what "rural america must sound like" ... it's just hokey IMO. Being over 50 in a small town doesn't make you immediately speak like an "old coot" ... this isn't the Beverly Hillbillies or The Dukes of Hazzard!

After reading it like three four, nothing they say sounds like old coot speak. One line at best which is "Flap some gums" is really the only line I could see where you would think that. Other than that, maybe "Mojo", but that's a stretch.

I also reject that SM is an effective leader ... the scenario you describe boils him down to an arrogant a$$ ... we saw this being portrayed in Timm-verse JL and we saw how ineffective he was because of it.

Well.... he's not. I agree, he's never really felt like he should be a leader and that's why I love the moment in the New 52 where everyone is listing their credentials as leaders and all Superman cares about is saving people. It shows that there's honestly no reason why Superman should be leader over any of the much more qualified candidates.

Really? How so? It's not like he thinks that no one else can do better than him and that he's the best. I don't think the "caring too much" and "arrogant ass" go together. I get that she's Wonder WOman, I get that she can kick ass and can give Superman his lumps, but I don't see why he can't worry about her. I worry about my little brother even though he's taller than me and has actually been in fights. THat's kinda what I think the importance of the last arc was, for him to kinda loose that fear.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

That banging is a maybe, but the one thing that isn't is the tender embrace of the two. That definitely seems like a moment the two wanted to be alone together.

Thier dialogue is a small minded take on what "rural america must sound like" ... it's just hokey IMO. Being over 50 in a small town doesn't make you immediately speak like an "old coot" ... this isn't the Beverly Hillbillies or The Dukes of Hazzard!

After reading it like three four, nothing they say sounds like old coot speak. One line at best which is "Flap some gums" is really the only line I could see where you would think that. Other than that, maybe "Mojo", but that's a stretch.

I also reject that SM is an effective leader ... the scenario you describe boils him down to an arrogant a$$ ... we saw this being portrayed in Timm-verse JL and we saw how ineffective he was because of it.

Well.... he's not. I agree, he's never really felt like he should be a leader and that's why I love the moment in the New 52 where everyone is listing their credentials as leaders and all Superman cares about is saving people. It shows that there's honestly no reason why Superman should be leader over any of the much more qualified candidates.

Really? How so? It's not like he thinks that no one else can do better than him and that he's the best. I don't think the "caring too much" and "arrogant ass" go together. I get that she's Wonder WOman, I get that she can kick ass and can give Superman his lumps, but I don't see why he can't worry about her. I worry about my little brother even though he's taller than me and has actually been in fights. THat's kinda what I think the importance of the last arc was, for him to kinda loose that fear.

Tender moment? He's passed out in what seems to be post-cloital man-bliss and she's creepily watching him sleep. I'm all happy for them knocking one out, but there is zero in this scene to show much beyond SM does the stereotypical man falling asleep after sex. I'd buy into your take on this if he'd been awake or engaged in anyway.

you ever hear anyone other than an "old coot" say "flap some gums"? I found the whole dialogue stiff and stereotyped beyond belief. The two oldtimers sitting on their bench in front of the corner store yapping about missing people but not actually doing anything about it? Like I said I found it hokey. Especially since we're talking about oldtimers who would have grown up in the 1960 and would have been more likely to have used jargon from that era.

"got us a town hall tonight to bend some ears and flap some lips" ... "Santiago isn't keeping his usual chair warm" ... "helluva lot of bad mojo" ... sorry, that's just bad writing, especially when you realize that the other half of their dialogue makes them sound educated and enlightened.

When did I say that he can't worry about her? I said he was stupid for doing it not that it was somehow sexist. I get more irritated with posters who claim that SM being "so worried about WW" was the reason for his poor showing in the Zod/Faora fight. I don't dislike SM ... I dislike Tomasi's handling of both SM and WW.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole point of the DC universe post-convergence is that the characters exist in a loose continuity. The story unfolding in WW41 could happened 5 months before SM/WW18 or 5 months after--there's no way to tell.

The he characters don't all align the same continuity, but I know you're just want to hate this book.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Archizooom

@superguy1591: I would much rather like it, the good stuff is in very short supply these days. Wonder Woman is like an artichoke, you pay for the whole thing but only some of it is edible

anibal336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doomsday... doomed this title.

Which was my favorite Wonder Woman title for it's first 7 months.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@kfabz-23 said:

You are probably the first one I've seen say that.

Like others I've felt this book has been practically Superman-centric since it's been overrun by his bad-guys and his stories, the one exception is the just ended Circe-story.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:
    @brunnhilde said:

The whole point of the DC universe post-convergence is that the characters exist in a loose continuity. The story unfolding in WW41 could happened 5 months before SM/WW18 or 5 months after--there's no way to tell.

You can tell it's after, because she's wearing the pubsink, longjohns and hooker boots she got in WW41.

I miss Soule so much! But after the great Wonder-centric last two issues, I guess a boring trip to Smallville is only fair.

We did however get a great WW moment, that no one else seemed to notice...Diana changed clothes with her lasso. I don't recall seeing that in the New 52. If she ever uses her Unity with Beasts power, or throws her tiara, they'll finally be on to something.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Last villain was Circe. Plus, the only reason why the book has been Superman centric was because Azzerello had a closed door policy for his run.

Plus, I wouldn't say this story is Superman centric since Superman is depowered and Wonder Woman is going to have to do the heavy lifting in the next issue.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Last villain was Circe. Plus, the only reason why the book has been Superman centric was because Azzerello had a closed door policy for his run.

Plus, I wouldn't say this story is Superman centric since Superman is depowered and Wonder Woman is going to have to do the heavy lifting in the next issue.

And before that it was Zod, Doomsday and Brainiac. That Azzarello had a very set idea of who could appear in the book he was writing shouldn't have any effect or influence on whats going on in other books Diana appears in.

It is Superman-centric because it's about him and the chaos his life has been thrown into with the reveal of his identity by someone he thought he could trust and the absence of his powers. Diana is only here as a support and heavy lifting, which is why she is only appearing in some of the Truth issues.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: They're not allowed in each others books. They only meet in SM/WW.

And Yes, it was due to the book tying in to Superman events. Azz's run was event free, so the story was Superman centric.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: They're not allowed in each others books. They only meet in SM/WW.

And Yes, it was due to the book tying in to Superman events. Azz's run was event free, so the story was Superman centric.

I know both Diana and Orion showed up in several issues of Lobdells Superman, so I have to disagree with that notion.

Which it didn't need to be. There obviously wasn't a mandate that said Superman, Superman/Wonder Woman and Wonder Woman books had to work as a team. But instead they choose to follow around in Superman's footsteps rather than doing it's own thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.