Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Thor/Wonder Woman Gender Contrast

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

Edited By Inverno

Oh, "men are from Mars, women are from Venus", when people of different genders are treated as if they are more like a different species that don't comunicate or get along with each other. Men need to be strong and learn to hunt. Women must learn to cook and shop and all that sexist bs. Such concept is so dated, cliched and discredited that is nowadays can not be treated seriously. Hell girls today like watching 300 and The Expendables (primarily for the ripped dudes) and most prominently fans of My Little Poney are bronies, though Mars/Venus contrast still existent in modern works such as the Wheel of Time series that serves as the backbone of their entire Universe. I personally dislike this concept because its sexist, filled with double standards and characters have play to the stereotypes women like soap operas/men are uncultured, womens love shoes/men hate shopping and etc. Though I have to point out this contrast is present between two ideal characters are literally from different Universes that represent the Mars/Venus conflict with not many people noticing it. Lets see...

No Caption Provided

Wonder Woman is distinctly feminist role model whose mission was to bring the Amazon ideals of love, peace and sexual equality to a world torn by the hatred of men. Her name Diana is based on the Roman counterpart to the Greek Goddess of the Hunt and Moon Artemis. Though its worth noting that she bears several traits from many goddess such as Aphrodite, Demeter, Athena and Hestia. Despite what many misguided people think, she is not supposed to be a extreme misandrist who often discusses men as being inherently inferior to women. She was made to be the embodiment of truth and justice and preach love and understanding between both genders. Its not that hard to screw this up but somehow David E. Kelly did.

Thor is the epitome of manliness who strives to defend Midgard from giants, trolls and other monsters, and is notorious for even in the Norse Mythology he was one of the few genuinely benevolent deities to mankind. His hammer Mjolnir is considered to be a metaphor for a phallus. So much that in the myth Þrymskviða (and the Marvel adaptation of the myth) a giant stole his hammer and demands to marry the goddess Freyja in return for the Mjolnir, so they try to pass Thor as the bride dressing him like Freyja. Thor feels diminished without his weapon and only recover his manhood when the Mjolnir is placed in his hand and he proceeds to kick the giants' ass. Of course this leads to the very immature implication that you are less of a man without your genitalia which is not true by the way.

So yeah, If Wonder Woman is about feminism, Thor is all about how wonderful it is to be a man. Not there is anything wrong they have nice contrast to each other that I wish many people noticed about it.

EDIT:Link to image.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By evilvegeta74

Good analysis! The Thor Myth (Prymskvioa), I had never heard of it until I watched War of the Gods on maybe National geographic or one of those learning channels.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Inverno

@evilvegeta74: Thanks man. I grew up reading mythology so I am familiar with this myth since as kid XD

OmegaRed86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By OmegaRed86

Cool post, I disagree about the genitalia part, but its still a good post.

Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Katie24

Really interesting and well written post. Wonder Woman and Thor are both pretty old characters (especially Wonder Woman). Back when they were written, the stereotypical characterizations they display were much more acceptable and I think over the years its been hard to undo these out dated personality traits. And to be honest both of these characters have a history of being kinda poorly written. Thor has always been written to seem like a bit of a meat-head and Wonder Woman.....poor Wonder Woman, the only Wonder Woman runs I've ever enjoyed prior to the DC relaunch were Gail Simone's and Greg Rucka's. The New 52 Wonder Woman is great. She isn't a ambassador, she is an exile and she is a total bada$$. I hate how most writers have written Wonder Woman as sort of a mother figure. She ain't your mama, she aint going to kiss your booboo's, she is a fricken Amazon warrior!!!

OmegaRed86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OmegaRed86

If Thor's a meathead, but I'd rather be a meathead.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Inverno

@OmegaRed86 said:

I think metalhead is more appropriate.

Katie24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Katie24

@CaioTrubat said:

@OmegaRed86 said:

I think metalhead is more appropriate.

Well those Scandinavians do like their Death Metal!

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By The_Thunderer

Thor is my fave male character, wonder woman is my fave female love what they stand for and how different they are from most others..

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lykopis

@Katie24 said:

Really interesting and well written post. Wonder Woman and Thor are both pretty old characters (especially Wonder Woman). Back when they were written, the stereotypical characterizations they display were much more acceptable and I think over the years its been hard to undo these out dated personality traits. And to be honest both of these characters have a history of being kinda poorly written. Thor has always been written to seem like a bit of a meat-head and Wonder Woman.....poor Wonder Woman, the only Wonder Woman runs I've ever enjoyed prior to the DC relaunch were Gail Simone's and Greg Rucka's. The New 52 Wonder Woman is great. She isn't a ambassador, she is an exile and she is a total bada$$. I hate how most writers have written Wonder Woman as sort of a mother figure. She ain't your mama, she aint going to kiss your booboo's, she is a fricken Amazon warrior!!!

Agreed.

I got into Wonder Woman with the new 52 but have been trying to catch up with the older books on her (and Thor for that matter). Male and female stereotypes seem to have been explored with both her and Thor (which is to be expected based on the long histories of both characters) and although I might not agree with where they've been, all in all I think both have been mostly interpreted well by various writers over the years.

Bad@ss Wonder Woman is awesome and gentle and kind Thor (in relation to his affection for Loki) even more so. I look forward to getting to know more about the two of them and its interesting and well-written blogs like this that encourage me to do so.

Gah -- edited extensively because I am having a problem with the English language today it seems :/

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By majestic99

Cool post, I disagree about the genitalia part, but its still a good post.

UltraBiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UltraBiel

I loved the post. And reminds me of one blog of a girl who loved comic books (too bad I cannot remember the name) and she said that DC/MARVEl should have more characters like Buffy(yes, the vampire slayer) because a lot of girls really look at her like a model of a super-heroine they could see as themselves. And why is that? Because Buffy, like Spiderman and other superheroes is like the common girl we all know who sunddenly discovers that has great powers and great responsibilities.

A great number of female heroines are bases on some male hero who shows her a lot about what they should do or are ex-villain who are looking for redemption, or in the third case an alien or embassador from diferent society. Sometimes it look's like reading comics thar a girl can only be a super-heroine if a man tell he how or she comes from another world, that's kind of sad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.