Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

The Wonder Woman You Almost Had

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

DC Women Kicking Ass - New Book on Cliff Chiang and The Wonder Woman You Almost Had From Him and Azzarello

"Originally we wanted to embrace all of Wonder Woman’s publishing history, so she was a lot older than she looked. We were going to have her around in the 40’s as a crazy European folk tale fighting Nazi’s. Steve Trevor would now be an old man, and she would be there for him in the hospital as he died. But with the New 52 reboot all the WW II stuff went away which I missed. It would have been great to do a 1940s or 1960s Wonder Woman."

intresting

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

This sounds awesome.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

:-(
    D@mn, that sounded awesome.

Can we have that as an OGN? Please DC, I will forgive you for having Lobdell on Superman for more than a year!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:-(

D@mn, that sounded awesome.

Can we have that as an OGN?

this

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Not gonna lie, that would have been awesome to see. I would have probably been interested in reading this Wonder Woman story too. Still I do appreciate what we did get instead.

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Nazi is the Villain I am most looking forward to see in a Wonder Woman comic and given that we're seeing the resurgence of neo nazi-groups all over the western world, this would also be a contemporary theme.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably would have been better, but I´d rather just a modern WW, which sticks to her story.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would have been interesting. As long as they didn't somehow mix the same twists into that one as well.

Daiohnysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That doesn't sound very good

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

not gonna lie that sounds epic maybe some one can do that in a different universe i mean they have 52 of them and we do need another wonder woman book.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

I do think Wonder Woman's involvement in World War II is an important part of her history but I always felt a little odd about Diana not being the first Wonder Woman during post crisis. This would be an interesting alternative. Although the more I think about it I do think that they should keep the part about Hippolyta fighting in WW2 as part of the cinematic universe.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@lvenger said:

Not gonna lie, that would have been awesome to see. I would have probably been interested in reading this Wonder Woman story too. Still I do appreciate what we did get instead.

It does sound interesting but not mainstream especially not 52. A mini series maybe or OGN it would be better suited too.

Daiohnysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daiohnysis: I think it's a good idea. Basically Diana would emerge in a world were Wonder Woman is already a pop culture icon. She'd have to try and live up to people's preconceived notions about her or push against them to be her real self. I think it's a fresh take on the superhero genre as well as a plot device that I think could serve Wonder Woman well. I think it would also draw some interesting parallels to the real life struggles of making a Wonder Woman movie.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@lvenger said:

It does sound interesting but not mainstream especially not 52. A mini series maybe or OGN it would be better suited too.

Agreed, it could have been a good route for Morrison to explore in his Earth One OGN.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

That sounds kind of interesting considering Wonder Woman unlike Batman and Superman actually fought the Nazis in the comics, Batman and Superman only supported the troops due to the fact that Gotham and Metropolis always needed protecting.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By dernman

@lvenger said:

@dernman said:

@lvenger said:

Agreed, it could have been a good route for Morrison to explore in his Earth One OGN.

That's who I was thinking it sounded like when I read it.

Daiohnysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria: it would make no sense in mos universe and sure as hell shouldn't be in new 52. Relegating Diana to a legacy trust fund kid? That's like Jorel being the first superman on earth, and he landed in 1938. Do you c this crap with superman? Do u c a push to keep him out of the modern world? No! The ww2 idea is lazy as hell

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@lvenger said:

@dernman said:

@lvenger said:

That's who I was thinking it sounded like when I read it.

Still I'm fairly certain what we will get from Morrison will be superb just like Azz's writing has been.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

DC Women Kicking Ass - New Book on Cliff Chiang and The Wonder Woman You Almost Had From Him and Azzarello

"Originally we wanted to embrace all of Wonder Woman’s publishing history, so she was a lot older than she looked. We were going to have her around in the 40’s as a crazy European folk tale fighting Nazi’s. Steve Trevor would now be an old man, and she would be there for him in the hospital as he died. But with the New 52 reboot all the WW II stuff went away which I missed. It would have been great to do a 1940s or 1960s Wonder Woman."

intresting

I wonder if Azzarello originally intended to embrace a more Marston version of Wonder Woman? If so, it definitely was likely to be my cup of tea, depending on how much of the publication history Azz intended to resurrect.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh what could have been. Another reason Didio is the death of DC. Prevents us from getting things like that. Although, current Wonder Woman is great so it's not a complete loss.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Bruxae

Id rather have a modern day ww who can be involved in current storylines.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Sounded interesting, but happy with what we've got.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daiohnysis: There wouldn't be any issues with Hippolyta fighting in World War II as long as it was set up right. Having Diana fight in WW2 wouldn't fit into the MoS universe though. Personally I think Wonder Woman coming into a world where she's already a part of pop culture is a pretty initiative idea that would set her apart from the other hero's set up with the more standard superhero formula, and it wouldn't be that extreme of a change because it's basically how the post crisis would was set up anyways. It's fine that you don't like the idea but that doesn't make it a bad one.

Also setting a Wonder Woman movie isn't a "lazy" idea. It wouldn't work in the MoS universe and arguably would have worked better if they beat Captain America to the punch, but other then that it would have been a great idea. Wonder Woman is connected to the time period she was created in in a much deeper way then Batman or Superman are. Not as much as Captain America but it's still something that shouldn't just be written off.

Daiohnysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria: That wasn't post crisis, that was some stupid ass retcon that John Byrne introduced and later writers completely abandoned, thank Zeus.

Also, Superman is more connected to his time period than you think. The whole "champion of the oppressed thing" was from the great depression era

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Actually it could be the background story of the Earth-2 Wonder Woman.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would have SUCKED!!!!! move forward DC. You made the right choice.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.