Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8805 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

The Wonder Woman Movie: 5 Reasons It Can Be Awesome

• 166 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

DC's movie slate through 2020 has been announced (but they haven't confirmed whenBatman and Superman solo films will drop) and what was easily one of the most exciting bits of news is Wonder Woman is getting her own movie. Not only will she get a solo film, but it'll be sooner than you may think. After Zack Snyder'sBatman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and David Ayer's Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman will open in 2017. We don't know who's directing or even the plot (but there are of course rumors). All we know for certain is the year the movie's coming out and that Gal Gadot will star. Because the information is so limited, we can't speculate about the movie's quality, but we can chat about why the movie has a bunch of potential, can't we?

It can finally prove that yes, a modern female comic book movie CAN be good

No Caption Provided

Comic book movies starring heroines don't exactly have the best history in theaters. Movies like Catwoman and Elektra tend to immediately come to mind. Those aren't ripped on because of the characters, but instead because the movies were, well, let's just be nice and say "not-so-good." If you like those movies, that's perfectly fine, but a vast majority of us can acknowledge they aren't good films. Somehow, some people think that means female characters can't thrive on the big screen. It's a pretty ridiculous notion because those films had numerous issues, and the lead's gender isn't one of them. Marvel Studios announced Captain Marvel for 2018, so this means DC beat them to releasing a female solo movie first. Because of these factors, the filmmakers -- whoever they may be -- have to be aware of the extra pressure surrounding Wonder Woman. Comic book movies about female characters don't exactly have the best history, so this is their chance to prove they can be every bit as good, if not better, than other comic book movies. If Guardians of the Galaxy can make the world fall in love with Rocket Raccoon and Groot, there's no good reason why this shouldn't make audiences root for the world's most iconic female superhero. A lot of people have been waiting for this one and it's hard to believe they aren't aware of the high expectations.

Expands a new side of the DC Cinematic Universe

No Caption Provided

Man of Steelwas the beginning of the DC Cinematic Universe. While it had scattered easter eggs throughout, it focused on a heavy science fiction vibe and understandably so. This is an alien landing on Earth and his fellow aliens come searching for him, after all. But, so far, Man of Steel has been our only experience with this growing universe. It's looking like Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice will be sporting a similar tone and Suicide Squad is sure to go pretty dark, but Wonder Woman has the potential to open the doors and let in a ton of brightness as we witness a whole new section of this world. It's possible we'll get a glimpse of Themyscira in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, but this movie has the chance to really immerse us in this environment. Not only does exploring Paradise Island have a ton of potential to feel like a breath of fresh air as we go on a journey in this setting. It's very unlikely the whole movie will take place there, but it's hard to believe the first Wonder Woman movie wouldn't give the setting a fair amount of attention. Since we know Wonder Woman is a Demigod in the movie, it hopefully means they aren't shying away from fantasy elements. While Man of Steel went sci-fi heavy, Wonder Woman can do a huge amount of mythos building and wow us with this whole new culture and the threats they face.

Can offer huge, fun action with all kinds of creatures and Gods

No Caption Provided

Speaking of creatures and threats facing the Amazons, this movie has the potential to create some epic action sequences. We're talking about fully embracing the fantasy genre and watching Wonder Woman let loose against characters like Ares, the God of War, minotaurs, and so much more. It's time to see she's not just a powerhouse but she also has some seriously praiseworthy hand-to-hand skills and reflexes. And, if we can have Gods, aliens, and more existing in this place, the possibility of an intense melee battle with Cheetah certainly exists. If not in this movie, perhaps down the road. The Woman Woman movie should be character-driven and tell us all about her world, but it also needs to show everyone just how badass she can be. If this doesn't have gripping and jaw-dropping action sequences, it'll be majorly disappointing.

Gives Gal Gadot a chance to prove herself

Credit: Albert L. Ortega, gettyimages.com
    Credit: Albert L. Ortega, gettyimages.com

Gal Gadot landing the role of Wonder Woman was met with mixed reactions... then again, which casting announcement isn't? A majority of people seem to be on two sides. The first group consists of people who have faith in WB/DC's decision to pick the right Wonder Woman. They believe the actress has the potential to pull it off and impress us. The second group thinks she just doesn't have the physique or resume to be such a critical character. Yes, we all know she'll be in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice but no one knows just how pivotal her role will be. Will she just make a few quick cameos? Will she actually have the chance to unleash? We don't know, but in 2017, she'll have the chance to give us proper insight into the character. And, if you do happen to still have a problem with her physique, this gives her a little more room to gain a wee bit more muscle mass (there's intense training regimens for some of Snyder's movies and this would be one them). If they cast her and plan to give her an entire movie, obviously they have faith in performance and her ability to bring this character to life with the confidence and heart she requires. Whether it's a version of the character that'll please most fans has yet to be seen, but this will give her the opportunity to finally show the world why she landed the role. Here's hoping most of us find it captivating and not just okay. That would be pretty disappointing, wouldn't it? It's time for everyone to move past whether she should be Wonder Woman and see if she'll be a good Wonder Woman. Fingers crossed!

Generate more mainstream interest in Wonder Woman & address misconceptions

No Caption Provided

Who is Wonder Woman and what makes her a character so many people adore? What is about her personality that makes her unique and compelling? It's about time the general audience had a reminder of that, don't you think? For non-comic book readers, many have an impression of the character which is based on nostalgia. It's time for a character with positive message about love but also one who isn't afraid to throw down with the best and most dangerous characters around. It's time for everyone to see that it's okay to be a guy and think Wonder Woman is awesome and one of your favorite heroes (this is 2014, right?). We'll see the new dynamic she'll bring to the DC Cinematic Universe's heroes and hopefully, people will see why she's iconic and able to stand shoulder to shoulder with the likes of Batman and Superman. Assuming the movie succeeds with all of the previously mentioned qualities, this should boost interest in the character. And more interest in the character is nothing but good news for us comic fans. Her movie being a success means more Wonder Woman merch, perhaps a bigger role in the comics, and maybe -- just maybe -- viewers wanting to read some good trades the character has to offer. Let's all hope this movie shows everything we want from it: Wonder Woman as an interesting character, unveils her fascinating world, and offers plenty of moments to show just how tough she really is. If they do all of this well enough, we just may see even more people wearing Wonder Woman shirts or adding her to their list of favorite comic book characters.

No Caption Provided

Based on the limited knowledge we have about the project, how do you feel about 2017's Wonder Woman?

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I'm still doubtful of the DCCU's ability to be good, however I will remain hopeful, since I really really want to see Wonder Woman get the respect she deserves. I also hope they base the movie off of Azzarello's work, that would fit best on the big screen. Who knows? Wonder Woman could be the next big hit in the world of heroes, and I really hope she is.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
    BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BeaconofStrength

Eh, I'm still iffy on the DCCU, after MoS. I've never been a fan of Wonder Woman, so I'll probably pass no matter what.

Also, why did the cast a skeleton to play Wonder Woman?

jackcryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is nice that Wonder Woman is finally getting some the movie spotlight.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beaconofstrength: Well if you'd like to become a fan I'd recommend checking out her New 52 series.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@beaconofstrength: WW usually is skinny. We don't need her to be a body building freak.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

I hope to Hera that the film is good, both DC and WW need it to be.

BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: I may give her a try once I get some spare money. I've never been quite fond of her personality and character. Feel free to recommend me some good WW stuff. I don't guarantee anything, but I may give her another try.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Katz....Why you always so positive? You need more negativity in you life. Don't go chasing silver linings. This is the internet. Embrace the hate.

BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BeaconofStrength
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beaconofstrength: Like I said, go for the Azzarello and Chaing series that just wrapped up, it will help you appreciate the character so much more. You should also get it because it's probably the best series of the New 52.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Does anyone else feel like they only do these stuff for DC stuff? Arrow, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Justice League: Throne of Atlantis, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@beaconofstrength: Like I said, go for the Azzarello and Chaing series that just wrapped up, it will help you appreciate the character so much more. You should also get it because it's probably the best series of the New 52.

I'll recommend this too.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 k4tzm4n  Moderator

If you're wondering why we're writing this so early, it's because Wonder Woman is our latest Character of the Month!

@dernman said:

Katz....Why you always so positive? You need more negativity in you life. Don't go chasing silver linings. This is the internet. Embrace the hate.

NEVER!

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beaconofstrength: Well if you'd like to become a fan I'd recommend checking out her New 52 series.

I agree. That's what got me interested in Wonder Woman. I actually hope that this movie will be an adaptation of that.

BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excuse me?

No Caption Provided

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beaconofstrength: Oh yeah, I'm willing to say it's better then Animal Man, and I f*cking love Animal Man and Jeff Lemire.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@allstarsuperman: Wonder Woman is usually portrayed as fairly toned. It's true we don't need a bodybuilder, but we don't need a noodle either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beaconofstrength: WW by Azzarello is totally worthwhile, unless you don't like stories involving the Greek pantheon.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Does anyone else feel like they only do these stuff for DC stuff? Arrow, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Justice League, Justice League: Throne of Atlantis, etc.

he just did a BP one a couple days ago, no>?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

If you're wondering why we're writing this so early, it's because Wonder Woman is our latest Character of the Month!

@dernman said:

NEVER!

Give in GIVE IN! let the darkness of the internet consume you, embrace the raging nerd inside of you

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to the action scenes and the mythological aspect of the film. :D

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Still not convinced. Me and my girlfriend will probably wait until it's available on Redbox.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@matthewparker: I guess its a little different but it does feature him. I do know they did one for the whole lineup after Marvel announced theirs (and dc's did come out first)

I think the site staff is fair when it comes to giving attention to the big two.

link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Optimism for DC films warms the cockles of my heart :) Personally i'm very excited for Wonder Woman, hope it's amazing!

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MatthewParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Eh, I'm still iffy on the DCCU, after MoS. I've never been a fan of Wonder Woman, so I'll probably pass no matter what.

Skeleton? Dude. She doesn't look that bad. Is she a bit tiny? Maybe. However, she still looks fit and able to kick some ass. People don't realize this, but the ancient Greeks were pretty tiny people.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ostyo

I want this film to be great, but Gal just doesn't inspire much confidence.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By infantfinite128

@captainmarvel4ever: Yeah, it's my most anticipated DC movie. The reason I am so confident about this one is that the femi-nazis will raise Hell if it's not good! The New 52 Wonder Woman run has been my favorite series since 2011. That includes all companies.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@captainmarvel4ever said:

Excuse me?

No Caption Provided

It was good initially, sadly Rotworld killed it.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

It is nice that Wonder Woman is finally getting some the movie spotlight.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have to wait and see, but if we do see something of Themscyra I hope it won't be the stone age amazon's that Azzarello has portrayed.

SpawnOfGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cant wait

BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91: Eh, she just doesn't look like she fits the role. And she's not really tiny; she's 5'9. That's pretty tall for female actress' heights. She's just really skinny. Also, real Greeks do not equal comic Greeks. I'm still in belief that Gadot was a bad choice for Diana.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Yeah, it's my most anticipated DC movie. The reason I am so confident about this one is that the femi-nazis will raise Hell if it's not good! The New 52 Wonder Woman run has been my favorite series since 2011. That includes all companies.

Same here, many books have tried to take it's spot as my favorite, but none have succeeded.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you seen any recent images of Gadot? She's definitely not a skeleton.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@zeeguy91: Eh, she just doesn't look like she fits the role. And she's not really tiny; she's 5'9. That's pretty tall for female actress' heights. She's just really skinny. Also, real Greeks do not equal comic Greeks. I'm still in belief that Gadot was a bad choice for Diana.

I mean, I understand that sentiment, but I guess we're just going to have to wait and see.

BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BeaconofStrength

@silverpool: Yeah I have. She's still pretty dang skinny.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

I think the movie will do well, but will ultimately will suffer from fanboy backlash. Personally, I'd like to see Azzarello's WW adopted, but I'm certain many people will not like this.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood: I think you need to check the comments, they're full of us praising the New 52 series. I'm right on board with them basing it of Azzarello's amazing work.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

@captainmarvel4ever: Good to hear. I'm going through the comments now. I might disagree with you about one thing. Animal Man was a masterpiece.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.