Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

The Wonder Dome!!!

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was watching the recent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, and one of the turtles compared their lair to several fictional lairs of comic superheroes. Then he went down the list of those lairs...the batcave, titans tower, etc. But the one item on his list that struck me was when he mentioned the Wonder Dome!

I mean, I like WW and all, but I never thought the Wonder Dome was such an important enough piece of mythology to be mentioned in mainstream movies. I always thought the Dome was a passing fancy. A failed creation by Phil Jiminez.

So how important is the Wonder Dome to YOU?

iDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Tbh I have never even heard of it, lol.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought it was rather silly ... I'm somewhat surprised TMNT would bring it up. I mean, yeah for a WW reference, but random.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

It isn't. Diana's base of operations... or secret lair as far as I am concerned, is Paradise Island. And how more secret could you get when based on an island that cannot be found?

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Phil Jiminez flopped when he created the Wonder Dome. It was unnecessary and egotistical for him to create it in the first place. Why not just use what Dr. William Marston provided in the first place....her laboratory on the outskirts of Paradise Island?

But the fact that it was even mentioned in the TMNT movie tells us that whoever in Hollywood was writing the script, had WW on the brain.....

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Phil Jimenez didn't create the Wonder Dome, Eric Luke and Yanick Paquette did. I don't understand why so many people didn't like it? It fit in with a world that has a Bat Cave or Fortress of Solitude. It was Wonder Woman's version of that and it was dope.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The main beef was that a flying, invisible base in the sky isolated her from the rest of humanity and seemed lonely, but it didn't have to be that way. I could see her sharing it with Donna, Cassie, her embassy staff, the Holliday Girls or other Amazons. It could be a floating reformation base for her villains or a sanctuary for battered and homeless women and their children. There were lots of possibilities that weren't explored in the short time that it existed. All Wonder Woman's cool toys eventually get taken away.

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By natvin

But that was the lame point. IT didn't need to be created...WHOEVER that may've been.

The personal lab on Paradise Isle was already up for grabs, yet no one used it!

I thought the idea of the Dome didn't jibe well with her mythos.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me it just doesn't jibe with who Diana is. Bruce and Clark may need their man-caves, one for Batman's operations the other is a mix of storage, recreation and a museum. Diana on the other hand, she doesn't need to physically separate her private life from her superheroic one since she doesn't have a secret ID (most of the time). She's not one that generally keeps trophies or mementoes of past engagements or has to have huge area's dedicated to making or breaking stuff. And when she needs to unwind, she just heads home for a spell.

The embassy however seemed to have quite a lot of the above, including a shrine and an armory, difference from the Dome however was that it was the physical face of Paradise Island along with Diana and it was housing several other people.

Add to this, the Dome just looked quite dull on the inside. It came in one color (which makes it look about as cold as the Fortress of Solitude), there is no people in (and only the fewest can get there without an invitation) it and just didn't seem to serve any purpose as far as I can tell (a secret lair without a purpose is kinda how we ended up with the Arrow Cave). Plus, that first panel with the interior carries the same kind of problems the memorial of the dead Teen Titans Johns put in Titans Tower; why would you have such a thing in your own house?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@idude said:

Tbh I have never even heard of it, lol.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:

To me it just doesn't jibe with who Diana is. Bruce and Clark may need their man-caves, one for Batman's operations the other is a mix of storage, recreation and a museum. Diana on the other hand, she doesn't need to physically separate her private life from her superheroic one since she doesn't have a secret ID (most of the time). She's not one that generally keeps trophies or mementoes of past engagements or has to have huge area's dedicated to making or breaking stuff. And when she needs to unwind, she just heads home for a spell.

The embassy however seemed to have quite a lot of the above, including a shrine and an armory, difference from the Dome however was that it was the physical face of Paradise Island along with Diana and it was housing several other people.

Add to this, the Dome just looked quite dull on the inside. It came in one color (which makes it look about as cold as the Fortress of Solitude), there is no people in (and only the fewest can get there without an invitation) it and just didn't seem to serve any purpose as far as I can tell (a secret lair without a purpose is kinda how we ended up with the Arrow Cave). Plus, that first panel with the interior carries the same kind of problems the memorial of the dead Teen Titans Johns put in Titans Tower; why would you have such a thing in your own house?

Why wouldn't you want a trophy room? The dome's structure was clear, color was provided by the centaur Chiron and the mythical beasts in the menagerie. There were also gardens and an armory. The dome itself also had offensive weapons for aerial assaults plus processors that absorbed poisonous gas.

It upped her power level and I liked that it fit in visually with Themysciran architecture and technology.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why wouldn't you want a trophy room? The dome's structure was clear, color was provided by the centaur Chiron and the mythical beasts in the menagerie. There were also gardens and an armory. The dome itself also had offensive weapons for aerial assaults plus processors that absorbed poisonous gas.

It upped her power level and I liked that it fit in visually with Themysciran architecture and technology.

Had it been in Diana's character to take trophies, sure, then I'd assume she had one somewhere. However, as we all know, Diana of that time rarely if ever killed an opponent prefering them rehabilitated and forgiven than haning on her wall. Were we talking about Artemis, then a trophy room would be a must.

And quite a few of those extra bits just seem completely pointless when you consider Diana is no 2 on the powerscale in DC.

Honestly I thought it looked about as silly and was about as useful as the 'floating islands' version of Paradise Island (which also introduced a ton of stuff that was never really used), you took a couple of old greek temples and put them on top of a flying saucer.

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What the WW comic really needs is an introduction panel to Diana's old living quarters or her secret private lab on Paradise Island where she can store all her trophies. Such trophies would be like relics of her past that tell a story about her.

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Endanger

I thought Eric Luke's run was pretty good.

I'm surprised people never heard of it. The first thing that pops up in my head about Eric Luke's run is the Wonder Dome.

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By natvin

Such a spooky place, that Wonder dome. Nothing is real. All is dead matter. Yet it resembles real life things. Euwwww! Chillingly creepy!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.