Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

The Reason For Wonder Woman's New Costume

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

@degalon: actually the armored gladiator suit is as much a deviation from her original design as this is and the many other variations of WW's costume. She has had a number of outfit changes and adjustments, many major ones(more major than this even), throughout her existence so truthfully the only difference this time is that she is fully covered.

and you never said she looks like big barda...i said that.

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@degalon: actually the armored gladiator suit is as much a deviation from her original design as this is and the many other variations of WW's costume. She has had a number of outfit changes and adjustments, many major ones(more major than this even), throughout her existence so truthfully the only difference this time is that she is fully covered.

and you never said she looks like big barda...i said that.

I did say it in a previous post. Didn't notice you said it as well.

But no the only real "Deviation" the gladiator suit does is trade the briefs for an armored skirt. Otherwise its spot on.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@degalon: and all this does is fully cover her up by giving her pants and sleeves, with slight changes to her armor. like i said its not that severe and she's had way more sever outfit changes

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

True. it wont last long, trying to "cover up" wonder woman never does. It goes against the entire character, because its not about being "sexy" its more akin to MMA girls showing skin than bikini models.

Didn't last with Power Girl either lol.

Avatar image for woolheadedlummox
    WoolHeadedLummox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"it's hard to get over the idea of Diana basically wearing a bathing suit with boots." no, it really isn't. this is fictional entertainment about superpowered humans and aliens, it isn't hard for me to get over a silly "nonfunctional" costume being worn by a superpowered woman with a magical lasso

anibal336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By anibal336

I am sorry this run has started off so badly for my favorite character and us the fans, and the creative people involved.

There is so much that demands patience... on every level.

It's honestly like someone (and many more ) was/were forced to learn a new language on the first day of their job. And that happens... often.

It is unfortunate for fans of a comic that is published once a month, who are avid fans, to be put through that process. It's also unfortunate for the creative talent to go through our reaction.

I am personally extremely judgmental of this run, and should keep that judgment mostly to myself (something I rarely do).

I am seeing the proper reaction from the creative team, and the appropriate atonement through future corrections. Donna/amazons mass murderer(s)? Well we got our "mea culpa" (?).

This month (#41) we get the mea culpa on not understanding anything about Wonder Woman's powers.

Wonder Woman is just not using them. The god of war has obviously not been using any powers (other than wielding swords, who can't do that ... if you have them?).

Flying at moderate speeds seems to be the only "super" power she has left.

Now we have her falling to a "supposed" spray of mace (godly gas?)… the Woman, god (and "now girl?") who could resist Doomsday's spores/gas?

You would first need a respectful break in sci-fi logic for this to be explainable.

This will also have to be explained in another "mea culpa" issue in the future.

And we need a new "mea culpa" issue on the "new" outfit. I know its coming.

A massive "V" in the crotch (as depicted in WW#41) is horrendous to this fan who loves this character.

Not to mention the garish mess the costume is, but I have to wonder about that fantastically rude V? Was this really on purpose?

I have always preferred the human body to be what it is … flesh does not offend me. Symbols… well we are talking about something else altogether.

I am sure another "mea culpa" issue is coming...

4_color_image

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By 4_color_image

@agent_z said:

@anjon: This costume is also being criticized because it looks bad and there was a better one designed by Fabok.

Hell! There were better ones designed by Finch! Did you see the 2 page work in progress spread in the back of WW#41?

Scantenii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it. Nice redesign.

JBBuc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look! Wonder Woman has a new feminist appeasing costume, Superman is losing his powers, and now Bruce Wayne is gone. DC decided to go the same route as Marvel, because “different is better!”

And they wonder why comics are dying

Comicvine needs a *like* button!

mcanarki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By mcanarki

No Caption Provided
    Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By Degalon

@agent41 said:

@degalon: MMA girls?.

As in, it's more being practical than being sexy to show some skin.

"it's hard to get over the idea of Diana basically wearing a bathing suit with boots." no, it really isn't. this is fictional entertainment about superpowered humans and aliens, it isn't hard for me to get over a silly "nonfunctional" costume being worn by a superpowered woman with a magical lasso

That too. Its kinda silly to put a living god in full armor like that.

Turning it into a thong was going too far though lol.

Z0MBEESNOWMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z0mbeesnowman: You are right that giving her more to wear isn't even a bad idea, the main issue is that there are less garish ways to do it. Fabok is an excellent example, it looks great, doesn't move too far away from the normal design and all he's really done is give her a pair of gloves and a skirt.

Totally agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
    deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Oh, this thread. Some posts are pure amusement. Others even more so.

I like this costume. First thing I noticed was the lack of heels on the boots. That is a big, big thing. Colouring wise, the white stars and white trim on the thigh highs are a bit much and could be either gotten rid of altogether, or changed to gold to make it work. Everything else is fine.

That being said, i also look forward to the next costume change that will happen down the road. This is comics and seeing artists' conceptions come to life is a treat. Some work, some don't, and it's not the end of all that is right and good in the world. As long as you don't have Diana posing unnecessarily, I don't care if she donned a star spangled American flag. Which is illegal and would never happen.

People talking about practicality sets me giggling, though. Like, really? Really?

Cute too how the poll had the choice of not liking it, not sure or loving it. I wouldn't have been able to participate since it's a simple "like" for me. Until the next change, hey-o!

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#215  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

Lose the thigh-high boots, shoulder blades, and wrist blades - then it would be an excellent costume.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I love it. It's my favorite Wonder Woman costume by far.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an over-designed atrocity only implemented to appease people who shouldn't read comic books anyway.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

Yup, still a looks like a shitty early Image Liefeld joint.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I like the Fabok one more, but this one is good too. As long as she no longer has those stupid panties.

this and

I like everything but the boots.

this.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#220  Edited By Jestersmiles

I like to say lose the stupid triangle, it not needed everything else is fine. She can still tie me up anytime ;)

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an over-designed atrocity only implemented to appease people who shouldn't read comic books anyway.

Blunt, but true.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the new look, but Fabok's Wonder Woman design is just amazing!

Also as a female I can say that mid thigh boots do hinder leg movement significantly....

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinnofthestoneage: Even if they are part of an advanced suit of armor designed by a god? :)

Sorry, that's kind of silly to say. Of course you have a point, and it's a point being a man I wouldn't know much about. However that hasn't stopped many heroines from wearing them over the years, so to accept your point I'd have to consider that all of them were wearing something that didn't really help them at all. Still, I've come to realize that being a man means that almost everything I've ever liked about female comic book characters has been completely wrong, from Black Canary and Zatanna's fishnets, to Ms Marvel's 'hooker boots' to just about every costume that the Wasp has ever worn. (maybe that's why they've killed her off again). Not only the women but the men for the most part have worn impractical costume and that's only the superheroes, some of the stuff the super villains wear is even worse on a practical level. Heck the most practical costume I ever saw on a heroine was Sue Storms original costume for the FF. But I just don't like this one on Diana.

Maybe it's not so much the costume but the fact that I'm tired of being told how wrong I've been all these years to like the old one, that I've got to move on, get with the times, join the march, ect... The Greek Gods are scum, the amazon's rapists, Donna's a murderer, Diana carries swords and has spikes on her bracelets... Zeus seduced Hypolita by showing up naked with a sword and trying to kill her... That's the way things are now and I should just accept it because DC has decided that this is the way to sell Wonder Woman. Savage, brutal storylines that paint no one in a good light and a covered up heroine carrying a sword. Two minute read at 2.99. Far better they tell me than the ten to fifteen minute read I used to know for .25 cents.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: Haha I have no idea :)

Also costumes are designed to look good, not be practical, come on these are comic books :P

Fair enough not liking it, I wasn't really sure at first but I changed my mind

jordanwise73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By jordanwise73

Yeah it looks like crap. Overdesigned with too many warm colours and the arm blades don't suit her character. Makes her look very eager for war.

It appeals to SJWs true, but I think the main reason is just to generate some controversy. To get people talking about WW regardless.

leopryor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't like it, don't agree with the reasoning behind it.

She wants something to reflect all her roles and her own maturity... so why on gods green earth does she jump into something that makes her look like a circus performer?

Edit: And if giving her pants is all that really matters to people, whats wrong with this?:

No Caption Provided

Yes! I like this outfit a lot more than her new one. It's not so overly sexualized, and it does look like something a modernized Amazon would wear if they were real. Perhaps the arms could be a bit more protected without looking goofy, but other than that, I'm really liking this outfit design for Wonder Woman.

og_sin1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really cute but I like her new 52 colors a bit better but I just don't like the boots

Cyel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Still not sure why being a Superheroine, Queen, or God means one needs to coat themselves in one nation's flag (not just referring to the new costume), but whatever. I still like the new costume. I really like all the previous New52 costumes too. The art has been pretty good all-round.

Avatar image for godsvileanddarkwing
    GodsVileandDarkwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

There is not a single Wonder Woman costume that can beat this one.~ In fact, she looks so freaking hot.~

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.