Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

The potential for a male Wonder Woman Sidekick

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

Edited By krspaceT

Wonder woman, the lesser member of the DC trinity. Getting less fans than most other Justice League writers, such as Flash or Aquaman, she also lacks a sizeable family of characters.

This is noticeable in the New 52, with Donna in limbo and Cassandra no longer tied to her, and the two always seemed to be better shown when not with her but with the Teen Titans. This could be the perfect time to try and establish a new sort of sidekick for Wonder Woman....

A Wonder Boy, Kid Amazon.....name pending.

The main problem is how. Attempts at making lasting Male Wonder Woman characters fail generally with the exception of Steve Trevor......and even then your more likely to find someone who knows about Kyle Rayner or TIm Drake than him in the mainstream.

However, there are methods to.

A male Amazon

The new 52 changed a lot of things, and Wonder Woman was one of the most affected, in the same category as types like the Teen Titans. The fact that Amazons are now along the lines of their myth counterparts in how they reproduce and what they do with the males being one of them.

Diana is aware of this, and did attempt to rouse her brothers to help her.....problem is they just like Heppy too much.

But the top right image gives us an idea. It appears not all amazons hate their sons at the moment of birth. Could one have managed to hide one from the others? If Superman can be saved from a dying planet, can Wonder Boy, American amazon, Hemazon.....name still pending be saved as well

The Impulse Method

No Caption Provided

Here me out. Rip Hunter's recent mention in JLI annual speaks of a horrible future made by the kiss of Supes and Wondie. Could someone manage to sneak out of that timeline to the present? Impulse did it, the Legion does that every weekend....could a potential Wonder boy, Super Wonder, Kryptonian Amazon, names getting worse, a future son of Superman and Wonder Woman, appear though time and get stranded in the present.

It would be a way to play at the new status quo that is Super Wonder. Cyclops alone had more children this way than most heroes do the fun way. Superman has been shown at times to have dreams of growing old with a son , and in theory with blue Kryptonite they could do it. They did it in Kingdom Come after all.

The Percy Jackson Method

Wrong Universe but it is tied to the Wonder Girls. At least at some level Donna is a Demititan, magic mirror clone.... thing.....and Cass was a daughter of Zeus. As of Wonder Woman 13, she is a hunt for half siblings, and whose to say only Zeus has been busy. Apollo, Ares, Hermes and Aprodite alone had a habit of playing around, not to mention Posiedon and Hades. Perhaps not Candle head, but Poseidon is certainly possible.

If Jubilee got turned into a vampire due to the vampirie craze, perhaps trying the success of Rick Rioardan's books might be less likely to get hate mail?

There is another demigod about, Olympian about, if O.M.A.C and brother Eye were accurate, which leads credit to this idea.

How to portray them

This is the big one, How would the Wonder Woman- Wonder Boy, Son of Zeus, Wonder Son, Super Wonder or whatever relationship be. Would it be like Batman or Wolverine where they end up like a parent in a way with her sidekicks. Would it be in a cousin, sibling, non parental style relationship like with Flash or Superman.Wonder Woman's personality is somewhat moderate between the gruff and the nice heroes and their sidekick styles.The character's relationship would have to be done well enough to convince skeptical readers that a Wonder Boy could work.

What do you think?

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Press Oblivion

I agree that the character relationships would have to be done well, that's true for the success of any story.

The plausibility for a Wonder Woman sidekick is interesting and the imagination is ignited with possibilities especially with the scenarios that you've presented here. The question I have is that of a Male Amazon. Given what Azzarello has done with Amazon procreation I think that it makes it tough for a male character to be a true Amazon in upbringing and heritage and I think that these are the elements that I would like to see Wonder Woman and the Wonder Kid relate on. It seems that Wonder Woman would hardly adopt a sidekick in the usual fashion without the background. I also agree that this Wonder Kid would have to have demigod status to face the world ending threats that someone of Wonder Woman's caliber would face.

What I don't agree with is that Wonder Woman is the lesser of the Trinity. If anything, Batman is the lesser of the three. You're looking at her from a statistical perspective from fan base and perhaps monthly sales and in this case she is outdone by Batman and Superman but when you look at the world these characters inhabit, Wonder Woman & Superman stand at the top of the world with characters like Batman looking up at them, in that order.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SmashBrawler

If they give Wonder Woman a male supporting character, it should be an adult. At least a young adult. A teenager does not work, I don't know why, but to me it doesn't.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By MrDirector786

I personally think the first idea presented in the OP would work best.

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Zdaybreak

Kid Amazon, Kid Wonder, Young Wonder...you know what? Lets have Diana go Batman and adopt a whole bunch of boys. That way none of the names will go to waste, no matter how horrible they are(the worst of them can be paired with Red Robin for a mini-series).

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By COBRAMORPH

A Wonder Boy is very easy. Him, even Donna & Cassie can be made desended from Amazons, instead of giving Batman a billion little boys. If the Bana Amazons exist in New52, there must be males that have Amazon genes. Hell, make Mon-El into Wonder Boy.

The New52 could have made Connor be a clone of WW. Mon-El & even the entire Daximite race could be the Kryptonian version of the Amazon race, Kryptonian goddesses create "Amazons" but they are not immortal, & Mon-El just happens to be the son of an Amazon. Then WW finds Mon-El & he becomes Wonder Boy.

@Press Oblivion said:

What I don't agree with is that Wonder Woman is the lesser of the Trinity. If anything, Batman is the lesser of the three.

As for WW being bigger than Batman, no. Batman is a much bigger franchise. By your logic Green Arrow is equal to Batman. Bats & Supes are equal. WW is a far distant third. Thats what people need to realize is that this "Trinity" dos not really exist. I mean, is Bats, Supes, WW & Flash a quad-ism? No.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SCORPIO_CASSADINE

During Phil's run Diana met Trevor Barnes' nephew Bobby who was her biggest fan. My proposal is that she takes him under her wing and makes him a sidekick. He'd have access to the Gauntlet of Atlas increasing his strength and durability ten fold, acrobatic and martial abilities thanks to Amazon training and the Lansinarian morphing crystal enabling him to create invisible, guns, swords, bikes, planes, tanks, skateboards, motorcycles etc.

His personality would be that of a typical inner-city teenager that likes basketball, hip-hop and all things urban, but he'd be a computer genius helping to better his community while assisting his mentor in broadening her base and helping the disenfranchised seek empowerment. Conflict arises with him being linked closely to a "girly" superhero, so he's brash, bombastic and a bit of a charismatic womanizer in order to compensate. He HATES being called "Wonder Boy" and reacts violently at the mention of the name. He's Wonder One, the Wolverine of the Wonder Woman Family and his namesake has to keep him in check and help him smooth his rougher edges.

Of course this is all bs fan fic and wouldn't work under the new status-quo, but that's my take on succeeding where a character like Achilles the Olympian failed. Wonder One would be cool, I'm picturing an altruistic Chris Brown with superpowers.

No Caption Provided
    GWHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GWHH

lets give it a try!

DjBest02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By DjBest02

I like the idea of a Male Amazon. As for names, definitely Super Wonder! (Its a joke)

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By Pyrogram

NOPE

sunhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sunhawk

a male sidekick for WW needs to be ranged dps caster type. Dr. Fate for example.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman, once their relationship has progressed and he has been properly whipped...

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kid Apollo

along the same gender swapping vein as She-hulk, She-Thing, and Bat Woman i give you... He-Wonder Woman.

all joking aside its a good idea, i like the idea of (since WW is now the daughter of Zeus) an amazonian male that's the son of Hades. With the same potential as Diana but more of a ruthless streak it would put her in the mentor position and add a powerful DC male that's not a boyscout

Avatar image for deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7
    deactivated-5d22cbdd103e7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunhawk said:

a male sidekick for WW needs to be ranged dps caster type. Dr. Fate for example.

What. No.

A Wonder Boy would really interesting, it'd delve into a side we never saw from Wonder Woman. He's a boy and the only males she's around are either just close friends(Batman and Superman) or just lovers but never a son-figure.

ItsDaveyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ItsDaveyJ

For some reason... I feel like it would be interesting to allow her to have a male side-kick. Part of me would want him to be gay. Maybe it's just stereotyping in my head but... what powerful woman doesn't have a close gay friend?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wolfrazer

Hercules would be a good fit, seeing as he and Diana are siblings now...well half siblings. Of course, that is if Hercules isn't written poorly.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By colonyofcells

Wonder Woman probably can use multiple male sex partners and I am ok with more female sex partners also.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By krspaceT

@colonyofcells: Erm, are you suggesting that she has sex with a kid.....

New X-Men v2 #3
    New X-Men v2 #3

When did Wonder Woman become Wolfsbane!?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By colonyofcells

There are some ancient cultures where females as young as 5 years old were married to older men. Nowadays, it is normal for women to have younger boyfriends.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By krspaceT

@colonyofcells: erm, still when I made tihs blog, the most I ever considered for that is the kid having some teenager hormonal issues with being with DC's hottest super herione......not dating him or having sex. I can see that just causing a storm of controversy, like Superior Spiderman, evil Cassandra and such.

Justice League 14
    Justice League 14

Not to mention I'm one of those guys seeing what Geoff is doing here, and Wonder Woman potential having sex with her underage ward is NOT what I want to see.

Didn't subexts that fiftites pricks found betweeen Bruce and Duck create the Comic Code Authority....and pretty much neuter comics forever?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Blood1991

I wanted her to have a male side kick for awhile "make that the center of a Sensation comics" how many female characters get a male side kick? None. Remedy that DC.

@Shotgun said:

Kid Amazon, Kid Wonder, Young Wonder...you know what? Lets have Diana go Batman and adopt a whole bunch of boys. That way none of the names will go to waste, no matter how horrible they are(the worst of them can be paired with Red Robin for a mini-series).

I remember that discussion. I still like American Gladiator ^_^

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By jrock85
    Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Bruxae

Why add a male too the one truly successful female heroine? Let her have that.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrock85 said:

What about Lennox?

He's whack af.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bruxae said:

That's not enough. Why does Superman get Supergirl and Power Girl while Batman gets Batgirl, Batwoman and Huntress but Wonder Woman doesn't get jack? They even took away Donna, Cassie and Artemis...it's just not right.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jrock85

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE said:

@jrock85 said:

What about Lennox?

He's whack af.

Eh, I kinda like him.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrock85 said:

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE said:

@jrock85 said:

What about Lennox?

He's whack af.

Eh, I kinda like him.

I don't hate him or anything, he just seems like a pointless distraction when there are so many true Wonder Woman characters that now appear to be permanently lost in limbo. He's a poor substitute when someone as awesome as Artemis is waiting in the wings all but forgotten.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jrock85

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE: Fair enough. I'd like to see Artemis show up too.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By sethysquare

How about Olympian?

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By theTimeStreamer

potential: 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bruxae

@SCORPIO_CASSADINE said:

@Bruxae said:

That's not enough. Why does Superman get Supergirl and Power Girl while Batman gets Batgirl, Batwoman and Huntress but Wonder Woman doesn't get jack? They even took away Donna, Cassie and Artemis...it's just not right.

These are highly established characters while Wonder Woman still has alot of room to grow, theres alot of male characters out there who is well known and loved which you can expand on, while Wondie never got the treatment she deserved until the New 52.

Maybe she can get a few sidekicks later on again.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#31  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@Bruxae said:

100% agree.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SandMan_

WW needs some male supporting characters.

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By queenfrost_

There are hardly any young female characters that are actually worthwhile in DC right now and you want to add more men??? No thanks. Diana is about female empowerment

dimmoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dimmoe

@BumpyBoo said:

@Bruxae said:

100% agree.

ditto. leave her be.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By krspaceT

Okay, what about playing it sort of like the early Superboy-Superman pre DCNU days

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By marvel123

@dimmoe said:

@BumpyBoo said:

@Bruxae said:

100% agree.

ditto. leave her be.

I think it would be a good idea for her to have a sidekick in the new 52, I'd like to see her inspire more females to take up the hero mantle..............she doesn't need a male sidekick

just because batman, superman and martian manhunter have female counterparts, it doesn't mean WW has to ...............that would defeat the whole purpose for her influence on female empowerment. stick with female sidekicks

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By SoA

heh .manazon.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just increase Steve Trevor's role and bring back Trevor Barnes.

Avatar image for egyptainpharaoh
    EgyptainPharaoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EgyptainPharaoh

I WANT A MALE SIDE KICK!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
    deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It would never happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.