The Newest Kiss

Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio

It goes without saying how much I dislike the Wonder Woman and Superman pairing. In the recent pages of Wonder Woman I have even preferred the nonsensical pairing with Orion over the alternative. In issue #19 of the ongoing series there was a new kiss, somewhat different from the famous one in Justice League 12. As an example of why I like this better though, it shows the character as not a helpless character that falls in love out of desperation and loneliness, but rather one that uses her femininity as a strength.

I am sure it was not really intentional but the manner in which she is kissing him is even more in line with what I expect from the character. Wonder Woman is one of the most powerful characters in the DC universe, but then so too is Orion. She takes the dominant position over him though and as she is kissing him she appears to be the aggressive one and not passive. This gets taken a bit too far a moment later as she threatens to ... depower him (sorry I can't think of a good euphemism) ... which plays a bit too much into the hands of those that say that she is the ultimate feminist character. In terms of this panel though (which was somewhat unexpected) it speaks to me much more as a Wonder Woman fan than anything with Superman does.

#1 Edited by darkman61288 (777 posts) - - Show Bio

Reason # 500 to love Azz's run on Wonder Woman this:

#2 Posted by Delphic (1528 posts) - - Show Bio

Read this issue just the other day, and I'll say that I laughed a little. Overall though, I still do not want to see Diana with anyone really. Just like I don't want to see Superman with anyone.

#3 Posted by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked what followed after more :)

#4 Posted by AweSam (7376 posts) - - Show Bio

Wish it never happened.

#5 Posted by Tacos_Kickass (844 posts) - - Show Bio

Lesson is if you hang around Wonder Woman long enough she'll smooch you.

#6 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: Really? I thought it was a little over the top.

#7 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Edited by drgnx (3566 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz:

I think with the way Orion was acting, he deserved a good wallop. To be honest, I didn't care who he got it from, just glad he got it. :) They could have probably done it a little differently, but still can't feel for him bad the way it played out.

From what I've seen on some of the solicits, he didn't learn his lesson.

#9 Edited by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how this plays into a Feminist role, perhaps a militant man-hating feminist role as Wonder Woman is threatening to separate Orion from his genitals, but this is not a feminist play. I do agree that this is a great characterization for Diana in strength but not in execution as it's a little crude for her character in my perspective.

If a man did this to a woman it would be considered harassment and I think a truer representation of the character would have found a different way to correct Orion's behavior.

#10 Posted by RazzaTazz (9698 posts) - - Show Bio

@press_oblivion: There are lost that claim that Wonder Woman is that kind of a character though, even if that is a misled point of view

#11 Edited by daredevil21134 (12376 posts) - - Show Bio

She should date Trevor Barnes.

#12 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully this isn't TOO tangential, but how do you compare the WW/Supes pairing in the "real" DCU to the one in Injustice (if you're reading that)?

And with everyone talking about "what comes after"my curiosity is definitely piqued.

#13 Edited by Nerx (15087 posts) - - Show Bio

Dumbass writer, they should stick with the current pairing and make it bloom.

#14 Edited by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

Nerx (I'm on an iPad so I cannot reply): weren't you just yesterday saying fans shouldn't complain, and that they should let what the writers do slide? How can you today criticize the writer?

#15 Edited by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

Hopefully this isn't TOO tangential, but how do you compare the WW/Supes pairing in the "real" DCU to the one in Injustice (if you're reading that)?

Both are annoying, the one from the dcnu is basically a shallow romance based on superman and wonder woman feeling lonely, the one from injustice isnt even a real relationship, ww doesnt really love superman and superman still misses lois

And with everyone talking about "what comes after"my curiosity is definitely piqued.

Then again you could read the issue yourself, its been a very good series from the beginning

#16 Posted by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the scans. Haha.

I read the first issue but wasn't really hooked. Also this art seems quite different from what I remember...but it seems to be the same artist?

#17 Posted by veronicacris (115 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

Thanks for the scans. Haha.

I read the first issue but wasn't really hooked. Also this art seems quite different from what I remember...but it seems to be the same artist?

No, i's not the same. this pages are from Sudzuka.

#18 Edited by akbogert (3227 posts) - - Show Bio

@veronicacris: Well that explains that. I do know the art was one of the reasons I wasn't terribly keen on picking up the book long-term.

#19 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Goran Sudzuka's work fits much better with Chiang than Adkins and the other guy.

#20 Posted by RustyRoy (13554 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormbox said:

@akbogert said:

Both are annoying, the one from the dcnu is basically a shallow romance based on superman and wonder woman feeling lonely, the one from injustice isnt even a real relationship, ww doesnt really love superman and superman still misses lois

Then again you could read the issue yourself, its been a very good series from the beginning

The real WW would never do this, she'd never grab someone's balls to make them respect her. She never gets annoyed, always very calm ans wise and doesn't get agree so quickly. New 52 ruined WW for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.