Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

The Finch's Wonder Woman

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Now that Meredith and David Finch have had an appropriate amount of time to define their version of Wonder Woman and her world, what are your grievances and praises for the run?

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

David has the ability to be an amazing artist as he has proven in several of his splash pages and Meredith has the potential to become a great writer. But right now, it seems that they aren't very organized with the characters they using and how they're being portrayed. So far the only character they seem to have a good grasp on is Wonder Woman and that's it. Every other character they have used doesn't seem to be grounded in a certain way. Donna Troy went from blood thirsty murdering psychopath to suicidal and self-loathing in just an issue. Aegeus doesn't hold proper motivation, he's just a bitter kid who's power hungry. Strife has no reason to act up unless she's still pissed about Ares and if that's the case she should have gotten over it by now. I feel they could do a lot better if they really wanted to. I understand Wonder Woman is a difficult character to work with considering her fan base is filled with people who are just spiteful of almost all minor changes to her character because they can't handle the fact that Wonder Woman is more than a one dimensional character like Superman and Batman appear to be (they aren't but if you were to ask anyone what those two were about they would give you the basic answer). As for Wonder Woman she has layers and has a lot to balance out, she must wear different faces for different situation and in front of different people but one thing is constant for her and that's her love for everything. She's all about love and I think the Finchs are portraying that correctly.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Grievances:

• Flat out; it sucks
    • It ruined Donna
    • Diana is depicted as an imbecile
    • Pretty much completely misses and reverses a huge point about Diana's character that the last run made
    Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Look at the bright side, at least we don't have Lobdell writing this run. He probably might do a better job but his work is horrid.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Largely it's gone in circles without accomplishing much. In their first 2 arcs Meredith has shown a lack of focus on the story that makes Diana come across as ADD and David has been very inconsistent in his art. Meredith needs to focus on few themes in each story and spend time developing them rather than throwing a bunch of ideas into each issue without showing how they evolve over the course of the story. I feel like I'm reading a series of shorts in each issue rather than one cohesive story.

I do like that they are trying to have her interact with the main universe world a little more, but so far it's been without much purpose so if feels gratuitous IMO

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Well the story is pretty bad.. In fact I have no idea what its going or even what's it about

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman did a complete 180, it went from being one of the best comic books in the new 52, to landing at the bottom of the barrel. I'm still shell shocked by the transition from Chiang to David Finch, I feel like I drove a Ferrari for 3 wonderful years, now I'm riding an old clunker.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Archizooom

@agent41 said:

@brunnhilde: I just want to know the reason why gave that woman the title. Did they actualy hear her ideas or what?.

It beats me, that a rookie landed a character like Wonder Woman on account of her marriage to an artist who's notorious for objectifying females, it's beyond reason. I hear they did it to keep David Finch, apparently he's an important asset to DC which is also pretty puzzling to me, but why Wonder Woman, give them Superman you know...I'm dying to see where this "superstar creative team" will go next

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@brunnhilde: I just want to know the reason why gave that woman the title. Did they actualy hear her ideas or what?.

It beats me, that a rookie landed a character like Wonder Woman on account of her marriage to an artist who's notorious for objectifying females, it's beyond reason. I hear that they did it to keep David Finch, apparently he's an important asset to DC which is also pretty puzzling to me, but why Wonder Woman, give them Superman...I'm so dying to see where this "superstar creative team" will go next

Superman would be the topping on the cake. His fans will on a bloody rampage if they got put on his book.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman would be the topping on the cake. His fans will on a bloody rampage if they got put on his book.

I don't know, they say Finch has a big fanbase, maybe they'll like him there. He certainly doesn't match up well with Wonder Woman, like at all.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RevivalMH

David has the ability to be an amazing artist as he has proven in several of his splash pages and Meredith has the potential to become a great writer. But right now, it seems that they aren't very organized with the characters they using and how they're being portrayed. So far the only character they seem to have a good grasp on is Wonder Woman and that's it. Every other character they have used doesn't seem to be grounded in a certain way. Donna Troy went from blood thirsty murdering psychopath to suicidal and self-loathing in just an issue. Aegeus doesn't hold proper motivation, he's just a bitter kid who's power hungry. Strife has no reason to act up unless she's still pissed about Ares and if that's the case she should have gotten over it by now. I feel they could do a lot better if they really wanted to. I understand Wonder Woman is a difficult character to work with considering her fan base is filled with people who are just spiteful of almost all minor changes to her character because they can't handle the fact that Wonder Woman is more than a one dimensional character like Superman and Batman appear to be (they aren't but if you were to ask anyone what those two were about they would give you the basic answer). As for Wonder Woman she has layers and has a lot to balance out, she must wear different faces for different situation and in front of different people but one thing is constant for her and that's her love for everything. She's all about love and I think the Finchs are portraying that correctly.

I agree with you that they have the main idea of WW (love) but I feel like they don't have Diana's voice nailed just yet. To me, she should have an air of wisdom around her and in Meredith's writing she feels a little ditzy. So, I would argue that they don't even has a good grasp on her yet either.

As others have said, really they just need to hone it in and focus.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Archizooom

@agent41 said:

I hope they go to Superman and create for him a masterpiece like this WW run. Some of his fans deserve karma.

tbh Yeng and Romita Jr are not doing so good over there either

GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gustavoburciaga1 said:

I agree with you that they have the main idea of WW (love) but I feel like they don't have Diana's voice nailed just yet. To me, she should have an air of wisdom around her and in Meredith's writing she feels a little ditzy. So, I would argue that they don't even has a good grasp on her yet either.

As others have said, really they just need to hone it in and focus.

Thinking about it now, I see what you mean but she does have some moments where she appears to be wise, like the battle with Donna or how she talked to Strife in the last issue.

GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

I hope they go to Superman and create for him a masterpiece like this WW run. Some of his fans deserve karma.

tbh Yeng and Romita Jr are not doing so good over there either

Geoff Johns run was pretty amazing though. Romita Jr's art in the other hand wasn't the best but it did get the job done.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.