The Best Wonder Woman Story

#1 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32221 posts) - - Show Bio

I'v heard alot of the best batman (killing joke, DKR) and Superman (All-Star, Birthright) but what about Wonder Woman? What do you think are her best story's?

#2 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazons Attack.... >_>

#3 Posted by yeopop (631 posts) - - Show Bio

The Hiketeia.

#4 Posted by RazzaTazz (9450 posts) - - Show Bio

Here are my favourites: 

George Perez reboot origin and introduction to man's world (vol 2)
Challenge of the Gods  (vol 2)
Biker Girl Era when Artemis took over the title of Wonder Woman (though this requires reading pretty much the whole Messner-Loebs run to get a full appreciation)  (vol 2)
The decision to kill Maxwell Lord and its repercussions (vol 2)
Rise of the Olympian (vol 3) 
Odyssey (vol 3)

#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have a best, but I have two worst; 
The Hiketeia 
Land of the Dead

#6 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by Erik (31474 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly love George Perez's stuff. It made such a small splash on the rest of the DCU but I felt it was a very character driven series under him. 

I also am really fond of Rucka's contribution to the series. Wonder Woman made much more of an impact during his time with the series and still stayed true to the Wonder Woman that Perez molded. The only thing I was confused about was that Diana had suddenly become a vegetarian under his pen. I can only think it had something to do with her political nature rather than Amazonian.

#8 Posted by Benuben (230 posts) - - Show Bio

Paradise Lost and Paradise Found.  
And dont EVER read Amazons Attack, or Love and Murder. Those are propably the worst WW stories ever.

#9 Posted by Erik (31474 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by RazzaTazz (9450 posts) - - Show Bio
@Erik: ML I found built up his stories over time, to get the full appreciation I had to read the entire run
#11 Posted by Erik (31474 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz:

It is true that ML had stories that stretched over several issues but his inconsistencies with not only with what came before but even with his own work completely tainted my reading experience. His unnecessary and poorly thought out retcons tells me a story of a man too lazy to read or even have an understanding of what came before. I even go as far as to say he performed character assassination against Hippolyta. Then there are details that are inconsistent from issue to issue such as the Gauntlet(s) of Atlas. There are two things I think came out of his contribution on the title and they are Artemis and the art for a good portion of the issues. Specifically the ones done by Diodato.

#12 Posted by RazzaTazz (9450 posts) - - Show Bio
@Erik: I guess i can kind of appreciate your viewpoint, but he had some great individual issues in that run.  
#13 Posted by Erik (31474 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@Erik: I guess i can kind of appreciate your viewpoint, but he had some great individual issues in that run.

I might have to read his run by itself to try to see this. When I read through it, I compared it to all that I had read up until that point. As far as I am concerned, it is still the poorest quality of WW issues now that I had completed volume 2 and 3 but perhaps if I read it through separate from the entire Post Crisis WW history, I could gain some appreciation of it.

#14 Posted by RazzaTazz (9450 posts) - - Show Bio
@Erik: Surprised you thought it was worse than Byrne
#15 Posted by Erik (31474 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@Erik: Surprised you thought it was worse than Byrne

Byrne was slow and it sure did not dazzle me. But I think his fixes to ML's tornado of terrible writing won me over. Byrne is not the best but I sure do not think he is the worst.

#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32221 posts) - - Show Bio
@RazzaTazz said:

Here are my favourites: 

George Perez reboot origin and introduction to man's world (vol 2)
Challenge of the Gods  (vol 2)
Biker Girl Era when Artemis took over the title of Wonder Woman (though this requires reading pretty much the whole Messner-Loebs run to get a full appreciation)  (vol 2)
The decision to kill Maxwell Lord and its repercussions (vol 2)
Rise of the Olympian (vol 3) 
Odyssey (vol 3)

Would that be in order from best to worst or just any order?
#17 Posted by RazzaTazz (9450 posts) - - Show Bio
@spiderbat87: Thats just chronological, probably the last two are best

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.