Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

That´s It I´m Fed Up With DC: CW announcement on WW TV show.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jphulk26

I´ve been saying do an animated show, because they will fuck up her character in a TV show. Well here´s their synopsis for the TV Show:

Per Deadline.com---

According to the breakdown I’ve obtained, her name is Iris. “She comes from a remote, secluded country and until now has spent most of her life as a soldier and a leader on the battlefield. Because of relentless brutality of her life at home, Iris looks at our world with absolute awe and astonishment. She’s delighted ­and just as often horrified ­ by the aspects of everyday life that we take for granted: skyscrapers, traffic, ice cream. It’s all new and fascinating and sometimes slightly troubling ­ to her. Iris is completely unschooled in our world, our culture, our customs. And she’s completely inexperienced at interpersonal relationships. She has no social filter, does not suffer fools, and tends to do and say exactly what’s on her mind at all times. She’s bluntly, refreshingly honest. She can tell when you’re lying to her. And she doesn’t have time or patience for politics or tact because she’s too busy trying to experience everything our world has to offer. There are too many sights to see ­ and things to learn ­ and people to care for. Hers is a true, noble, and generous heart. And she will fight and die for the people she loves. Iris is a fierce warrior with the innocent heart of a romantic ­ and she will fight to the death to make the world safe for innocents and true romantics everywhere.”

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/graphiccity/news/?a=70674#wWw8hS2xxCoAF16e.99

A few problems:

Iris? What? Why not call superman Charlie?

Before she had powers? what?

Do her villains or rogues gallery sound like they come in to this situation? Probably not?

Is this what that idiot who does the show Arrow meant when he said he hopes they do a Diana, sorry Iris that will fit in with his show of no superpowers?

So now WW is taking knocks to make Green fucking arrow look good?

Doesn´t sound like much Greek Mythology will be going on?

Yet another dramatic change to her origin. Not tweeking to modernise - an absolute change. This is not WW.

Is this even a superhero show at all.

I as a WW fan hate it.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By colonyofcells

I have watched all 10 seasons of the cw tv show Smallville so I pretty much know what to expect if this show about teen Diana Prince actually starts. Cw always has love triangles and Smallville had plenty of them. There was even a love triangle involving Jor El, Zor El and Lara. My guess is Diana Prince will fight crime in secret and no tights, no flight and no code name.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Press Oblivion
    @G-Man said:

Update

Allan Heinberg tweeted this morning:

No Caption Provided

Geoff Johns tweeted as well:

No Caption Provided

Perhaps "Iris" was a placeholder. Or maybe all the immediate outrage on the internet over the name change was heard right away.

JP, I share your concerns about this but I really feel that something good will come of this if supported and embraced. I really feel that she needs this and if may open the door to other projects that are more true to her comic book incarnation. 
    I agree that at face value, it doesn't seem like Wonder Woman at all and I've even called it a travesty but I'm taking that back and waiting to see what develops before denouncing it. 
    Smallville was a huge success, perhaps Amazon can be too?
    jobbernos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jobbernos

@Press Oblivion said:

@G-Man said:

Update

Allan Heinberg tweeted this morning:

No Caption Provided

Geoff Johns tweeted as well:

No Caption Provided

Perhaps "Iris" was a placeholder. Or maybe all the immediate outrage on the internet over the name change was heard right away.

JP, I share your concerns about this but I really feel that something good will come of this if supported and embraced. I really feel that she needs this and if may open the door to other projects that are more true to her comic book incarnation. I agree that at face value, it doesn't seem like Wonder Woman at all and I've even called it a travesty but I'm taking that back and waiting to see what develops before denouncing it. Smallville was a huge success, perhaps Amazon can be too?

smallville was a huge success and arrow is doing very good. i think ww will be doing just fine.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Press Oblivion

@jobbernos: Glad you feel that way. Let's see what develops :)

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman  Online

How about watching the show before you hate it. :/

Avatar image for juandicimo_magnifico45
    Juandicimo_Magnifico45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is waaaaay too early to get mad about anything....

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nova`Prime`

@Dernman said:

But where is the fun in that?

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By COBRAMORPH

You know, this could probly work better if they used Artemis.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By PowerHerc

For me to accept this is going to be Wonder Woman she's gotta be named Diana and she's gotta be a bona fide, myth-based Amazon princess.

She doesn't have to fly and she doesn't have to her Invisible Jet.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By joshmightbe

@jphulk26: The showrunners said the Iris thing was just a code name to prevent Internet speculation, in this case it backfired.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By cameron83

I don't even think that wonder woman was born with her powers.If they do completely comic accurate shows or movies,then you will get something like superman returns or the adam west batman (old,old version of batman).@Dernman said:

this

@Wboy said:

Stop. Wait and see.

"that's it i'm fed up with DC" Over dramatic much? Stick a tampon up there, absorb, and calm down. Wait for your period to be over.

Then, wait for actual footage, art, etc. And then judge.

AND THIS IS THE BEST THING I'VE SEEN ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmashBrawler
    jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jphulk26

@Dernman said:

@Juandicimo_Magnifico45 said:

Yeah I know. I was wrong about Iris, but with what they did to WW in the New 52, I wouldn´t be surprised if DC let anyone do whatever they want with the character, and I still think this is an awful idea. I still think an animated show, to raise interest in kids for a movie would be better.

Juandicimo_Magnifico45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

@Dernman said:

@Juandicimo_Magnifico45 said:

Yeah I know. I was wrong about Iris, but with what they did to WW in the New 52, I wouldn´t be surprised if DC let anyone do whatever they want with the character, and I still think this is an awful idea. I still think an animated show, to raise interest in kids for a movie would be better.

I like what they did with WW in the New 52, but I can see why you don't. I don't see though, how this is a bad idea in general? I never watch the cartoons so I am excited for a live action series. Simply put, comic books are not made specifically for children and there are more adult fans out there than kids. There are already outlets for WW in cartoons but none for adults. I am very excited for this TV series.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#18  Edited By TheCannon

I couldn't agree more.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jphulk26

@Juandicimo_Magnifico45: @TheCannon: My thought has nothing to do with adult or children fans. Look, for me the best thing for Wonder Woman would be to do a kick ass origin movie before JL movie, which has a similar tone to Batman Begins and Man Of Steel. i.e. taked her mythology seriously and see how it would play out in the real world, where her villains and supporting cast are fleshed out and made more 3 dimensional. Get a great director, who understands the complexity of the character, her feminist side, her warrior side, her compassionate side, her fish out of water or niave side, and addressing her sex appeal in a way not off putting to female audiences etc and can marry that into a compelling character for modern audiences mature and young alike. I would love that and I don´t think it would be too big a stretch either, because she´s a brilliant comic character.

The issue is obviously WB and DC (in particular) is too scared to do that and they really don´t believe theres a market for the character, cause apparently she isn´t bad ass or angsty or tortured enough like other characters. They think thats why her comics don´t sell and cause DC don´t believe in her WB is following suit. So instead they keep trying to reinvent the whole story - like in the New 52 and that TV pilot - making ridiculous changes to her character. The truth is people like WW they´ve just forgotten who she is because of lack of positive media exposure. The animated film was a step in the right direction and most people I know love it. I´ve even shown it to some girl friends who don´t like superheroes and especially don´t like cartoons and all of them have actually had really positive responses to it and I know most guys liked it. Why? because it was Wonder Woman. Updated, but it was her story for a modern audience. If you do a live action TV show, you´re presented with many problems. budget restrictions mean the affects are going to be not that great. so already they want to take away her powers. WW without her powers, is not WW. Supermans Smallville worked, because we already saw enough of Superman in the media for the general public to know who he is, so it was like just exploring a different side of him. This on the other hand will be the first we´ve seen from WW since the 70s, we need to see a Wonder Woman who is cool, superpowered and kickass, otherwise the general public again will become confused as to who exactly WW is. By the sounds of things there making her more like Buffy The Vampire Slayer, just good at fighting.

So what is the best way outside of a movie to present WW in all her glory and do it cheaply? I think in animated series. It will cost them much less and we can start from the ground up. Once that succeeds and gets an audience, then we can have a movie, and finally once the movies are out of the way and the general public have a clear idea of who she is, then they can do a TV program exploring her childhood or whatever else they want to do. Thats what I think. Let me know if you agree or respectfully disagree.

Juandicimo_Magnifico45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

My thought has nothing to do with adult or children fans.

@jphulk26 said:

I still think an animated show, to raise interest in kids for a movie would be better.

Avatar image for kapitein_zeppos
    kapitein_zeppos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kapitein_zeppos

The real problem is that you write popular, critically acclaimed books, comics, games etc. And the first thing that happens when Hollywood gets involved is that they need to change a lot of things, pretty much implying you are only one step up from being a village idiot, you stumbled and bumbled your way to success, but this is Hollywood where the big boys are and they need to take your work of outstanding quality and take a hacksaw to it, This isn't to facilitate the transition from one medium to another, it's a Hollywood disease. Come up with a change to a basic story and we'll give you money is the current modus operandi. The system doesn't care about delivering a good idea, it's about change for the sake of change for monetary gain, nothing else. Hollywood believes random ideas make good ideas if you get paid for it.

Essentially Hollywood is telling writers and creators that their work is fine in the world out there, but when Hollywood gets involved, you play by different rules. The system in Hollywood is a crazy web of creative people shackled by the execs and marketing people who are only focussing on ways to get more bums on seats regardless of what the story is about. War movie ? How do we crowbar a love scene into it. Rom Com ? We will need an action scene for the 15-25 year old males not to feel cheated. Then you have a bunch of people who believe they are creative titans, but are just one medical check away from certified insane. Imagine your favourite comic written by a 300-head strong committee, divided into factions with conflicting interests. That's how Hollywood films get made. By trying not to offend anyone and please everyone they fail at both.

So when you bring up Wonder Woman it makes every red light, klaxon and siren go off all at once. "Oh no ! Female lead, box office poison ! She wears star spangled lycra underwear !" Hollywood is afraid of everything that might cause the public to avoid a film and they have a scientifically proven voodoo formula that works about 1% of the time to make a sure-fire hit and Wonder Woman is everything but that formula ... Wonder Woman has so much to scare your average Hollywood exec, she will never survive the movie making process intact. Between the arrogant urge to "change and fix" everything that is "wrong" with her and the fear and scepticism that such a character can support their own movie, makes the odds that a WW film or series gets it completely wrong (or betterified it in Hollywood terms) is pretty high.

Once in a while Hollywood does manage to crank out a good film. You get a decent story that actually makes sense, they pick good actors and the director manages to guide the whole thing in the right direction and the execs don't conspire to find ways to hamstring the film before it is released.

I've always said that Wonder Woman is a very difficult character to get right. She's been ripped off several times, which means that a large section of the public will always assume that she is the ripoff. "I preferred Xena before they rebranded her as Wonder Woman ..." The exact thing happened to John Carter, the character is one of the main trope generators of Science Fiction for a hundred years and everybody from Roddenberry to Lucas used elements in their properties and when John Carter finally made his long overdue cinematic debut, he was instantly considered a poorly contrived loose formation of antiquated cliché's. So if your Wonder Woman movie is released tomorrow I can certify you that somebody will assert with a lot of authority that Wonder Woman was "a very bad rip off of that chick from that Hancock movie." The problem is that Hollywood execs consider that kind of opinion to be a good guide to the quality of a film. You can get WW perfectly right, but if enough punters make stupid claims, panic sets in and they scramble to rewrite and get out the hacksaw to fix it a week before release.

Outside of Hollywood you'd just get a few good writers, list the character's strong points, add a joke or two, figure out the action, look for an actress to fit those hard to fill red and white boots and see if the tiara fits, build up your conviction and try to sell the character as honestly and as best as you could. In Hollywood the movie will be dominated by fear, beaten over the head by target groups, audience polls, sniggers (the bathing suit, hur hur hur !) and the difficulty of finding the way to fit the round peg that is Wonder Woman into the square hole that is the Hollywood movie making process. (yes that last bit intentionally conjured a phallic image concerning Wonder Woman ...)

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If WW don't move Apokolips in the 1st episode, the series is going to bomb ....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.