Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8719 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

SQUARE STOOL PREMIERE

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Raiiyn
    No Caption Provided

Tip of the hat to ya, CV! I'd like to introduce you to 'Square Stool', the place for the anti-cool katz to chat and discuss comics =)

So for our first stool, I along with two other Viners will be discussing the new 52 Wonder Woman. Feel free to comment and/or share your opinions and if you have a topic for a stool or want to join in, PM me =) Just bear in mind you will need to commit to a one week turn-around to submit your stool as we intend for this to be a weekly endeavour.

And please, POPULAR POSTERS NEED NOT APPLY ;)

So without further ado, I give you your lovely anti-cool-katz stool providers. =)

Raiiyn: Hello All! I'm Raiiyn, first and foremost a DC girl, an Indie lover, part-time Marvel Fan and your giglicious host =) FYI, my comments are full of spoilers, proceed at your own risk.

lykopis: Salutations, I’m lykopis – She-Wolf Warrior Ballerina, die-hard Marvel fan-girl, indie comic enthusiast and a DC n00b. Been here on CV for about six months and it’s been…um…enlightening.

Hawkeye446: Yo-yo Square Stoolers, Hawk here. Glad to have proven my worth as "so-uncool-that-he-qualifies". Also, good day ladies, pumped for some Wonder Woman chat? ;)

Raiiyn: We sure are, dude. Lots of useless opinions coming right up.

lykopis: I resent the use of the words “Yo-yo”, “ladies” and “pumped”. Flagged.

How do you feel about Wonder Woman's new origin story?

No Caption Provided

lykopis: Considering I am new to the book, I’m not too sure. I am aware of who she was, how she was created without a father and what she stood for but I have to say, I do like this more harder, visceral Diana. Granted, learning you have a father (and more) would affect anyone, but seeing her get aggressive as part of the process to reaching resolution was great. I appreciate the direction Brian Azzarullo took, making her more like the Amazon she is with a stronger connection to Greek mythology. Hey, it’s the gods, they’re a crazy bunch so should be a fun series.

Raiiyn: I actually am really liking the new origins. I think that Diana is more of an Amazon now and I think that the Zeus storyline is a nice twist. I am also enjoying the fact that they are really sticking to some of the facts when it comes the mythology surrounding the Amazons. The whole going to sea to populate their race.and how Hephaestus saves the babies by trading them is a nice touch too since most stories say that they kill the male children. One thing I find a little awkward though. Hippolyta is supposed to the be the daughter of Ares.who is the son of Zeus.. so like did she sleep with her grandfather to have a baby?! o.O **twitch** yea, my brain just overloaded there.

Hawkeye446: That's definitely a tough question. I could break it down a lot, I'm sure, but to keep it simple...

I always thought that being made out of clay was such a fascinating aspect of her identity, and having that "no father" facet added to her character. Before the reboot, if someone had of told me that, -spoilers-, Zeus would suddenly be her dad, and that the clay would get the boot, I would have been in the mob with a torch and pitchfork at hand. But seeing (or reading) how Azzarello has tackled it, how he has addressed the resulting issues, and woven a story out of it, I adore what has been done. The fact that Diana is Zeus' love-child has stemmed this whole first arc in her self-named title, and I love what I have read so far. The changes pale to the interest it has sparked in me, and being a big WW fan, I can't wait to see what else is unravelled.

As a side note, despite this "Square Stool" *snicker*, being primarily about Diana, I also quite like the additions to other characters. I find that the Amazons are as intriguing as ever, and I hope to see more from them as a whole and as a community.

OH, and Hippolyta is BLONDE now!? YES, that minor change, to me, mixes it up a bit. I like that they are taking this opportunity to edit small things too. The real question is, is it her natural hair colour?

What do you think are some key differences to the character besides the obvious costume change?

No Caption Provided

Raiiyn: One of the major differences that I noticed is that Diana is less soft. I mean, it always depended on the writer exactly how compassionate she was, but I find that now she has a more stronger personality and more conviction in regards to what needs to be done. She seems to be a very strong woman from all views, even when she discovered her mother had lied to her all her life and while she may have cried… How she handled the situation there after is a testament to her warrior personality. I really see her as an actual Amazon now.

Hawkeye446: Wow, well for starters, she's a bigger BAMF then she used to be? I mean - I adore Diana, because her character is built on her strength, respect and honour, yet more so, she has such undying care, hope and kindness that separates this Amazon from her kin. A complete mixed bag, at the moment I think we have seen that she fights as well as ever. And despite her numerous brawls so far, we have also seen the person, not just the Amazon Princess. We see her at a cafe, wearing ordinary clothes. Speaking normally, oozing wisdom. I love that, she seems smarter than ever. So, yeah, I guess the main one for me is her intellect, (which was always there), as it is as subtle as ever, yet more frequently expressed, I think.

(As a side note, I'm not saying Diana usually comes off as dumb, far from it, but often those lines get blurred with the other facets of her character, and I don't see that happening here).

And despite it being ever so obvious, I'm a fan of all the costumes we have seen. Loved seeing her all suited up in armour in #8 - awesome.

lykopis: Despite being new to DC, I have read some comics from her “mod” phase but it wouldn’t be fair to compare her to that depiction only. I’ve always thought her to be a strong, kind and compassionate person so I think she has retained those qualities but is now more accessible and not so perfect. She is impulsive, quick to anger and is retributive. I think that’s awesome!

Which do you like better, pre-52 or the new 52?

No Caption Provided

Hawkeye446: Hmm, a harder question than the first. one that may reside un-answered. I don't think we have seen enough from this new Diana. We may have observed her strength, beauty, grace, intellect, and even her emotion, but I still feel something is missing? And that has nothing to do with Azzarello, but Diana seems different to me, now, and I think I need more time (and more issues) to really state an educated opinion. But I will say, this personification is so so good. I see her character building from here a lot, and I hope I am right.

lykopis: Again --- can’t really answer due to my “newbie-ness”, but I do like this interpretation of her. The art by Chiang is wonderful and I like the new look revealed in issue #8, making her less a Miss America beauty contestant during the swimsuit portion. Some tweaking should be done – I want her iconic double W’s (not her bra size) more pronounced and much prefer Wonder Woman’s hair down. The pinned up look is too goddess-like and what I am really liking about this series is the focus on her bad@ssery. I like my female heroes strong and resilient. Wonder Woman may be a demi-god, but she seems more human now to me.

Raiiyn: NEW 52! Diana is waaaayyyyy better now. The Zeus thing is going to make for interesting interactions with other DC characters. I mean, Wonder Woman is a demi-god now, right? I'm interested to see what that will mean in the future. Besides that, I actually love the way they have her doing what needs to be done and for once I actually see her as an Amazon instead of just a woman in a bathing suit? Even though she was such a famous hero... I never really liked her all that much until now. Out of all the new 52 books, this is one of my favourites.

Do you like her current story line?

No Caption Provided

lykopis: Well, I was enjoying it initially but then felt annoyance with a few things in regards to Wonder Woman’s origins; especially the reactions of some key characters. I’m not impressed with the story involving Hephaestus - too easy – too quick – too convenient – too forgiving. There should be a real break-down there and real compensation and redress for what’s happened throughout the years. Diana’s reaction wasn’t enough and the acceptance of the situation by the victims frankly unbelievable. I hope there is more coming in regards to this, I really, really do. I don’t feel comfortable should Azzarullo leave this particular revelation as is. It would be a failure on his part in his otherwise great writing of the character.

Hawkeye446: Yes, yes I do. Diana has been tested, we have see new things from her, met new characters, explored some mythological marvels, and so much more. Azzarello is really stepping up and making this character his own, distinguishing her from other heroes out there, and even her past life. And what I think is really great, is his pacing. Some books move so quickly, that we miss what happens. Others stay in the same place, for what seems like forever. Within 8 issues we have gone across the world and back, met a boatload (figuratively, seeing as Poseidon is bigger than one) of Gods, Amazons and other characters. What has been done, for me, is unfathomable. He himself shows in what he writes, it all just seems so brilliant. Why? Because it's not obviously so. We don't see that major emphasis on everything, it's not meant to contrast her past life because it can, it's to be its own. I am blabbering, but the point is - this is a new age for Diana, and her place in the DCU. We have already seen a much broader interpretation of her world in under a year than what may have resulted after many, previously. I hold high hopes for what is yet to come, and this book remains in my inner circle of favourites (at the moment), along with Batman, and X-Factor, and the recently ended X-Club miniseries.

Raiiyn: I like how they have the jealous wife thing going on and I'm interested in Apollo's role in all this too. I am not too fond of how they are portraying the gods though. Poseidon is down right ugly and the whole Hades candle thing? REALLY?! Diana is more a warrior now though and I for one am all for it =) GO AMAZONS GO. I can't wait to see what they have in store for Zeus' latest baby and exactly what is going on up on Mount Olympus with Zeus missing? Baby= Zeus anyone? That's kind of what I'm thinking at the moment. It’s also only issue #8 right now so we'll see if I still feel that way after the next five issues.

No Caption Provided

Raiiyn: Hope you all enjoyed, or not..whatever your preference ;P See you next week CV!

Hawkeye446: Conversation stirs, stooler's :P Until next time!

lykopis: (....what's taking the Moderator's so long....)

ANTI COOL KATZ ONLY

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Yo yo yo. This was pretty cool. Too cool maybe....

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By Hawkeye446

@NlGHTCRAWLER: Hah!

@Renchamp said:

You know all your stool references just sound like odd poop references? ("stool providers"?) And isn't "comic readers on a website for comics" + "uncool members only" a bit redundant? We're segregating our own community even further by imposing high school standards? I like the content, but the execution is terrible.

It's not the Comic community as a whole, it's a play on the website. Not sure if you have noticed, but the "high school standards" are already here, we're just pointing it out and making a little joke about it.

Not to mention we are referring to ourselves as uncool - it's not like we are "bullying" certain others because they are too cool, again, that's the play.

Thanks for your opinion though.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Raiiyn

@NlGHTCRAWLER: Blasphemy!!! ;P

@Renchamp: And no not really. There is no redundancy. The mindset that comic readers are uncool is in itself a high school standard that quite simply is overplayed in movies and not the truth. And like Hawk said, we are making fun of ourselves here...and joking about all of it?

So sorry you didn't like it but thanks for commenting anyways =)

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By feebadger

So, what exactly makes a kat anti cool? Never have i questioned my cool before (i always assumed i had none) but now, I JUST DON'T KNOW!!! DAMN UO SQUARE STOOLERZ! YOU HAVE DONE BROKED MY MIND!

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Raiiyn

@feebadger:

No Caption Provided

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mercy_

This...is awesome.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Raiiyn

@Mercy_: why merci mademesoille ;) **bows with a flourish**

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By ReVamp

@Mercy_ said:

This...is awesome.

Indeed.

Am I cool? I may need an answer, because this is awesome. If it becomes truly "weekly" it may be one of the cooler things on ComicVine.

...Oh Wait...

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mercy_

@ReVamp said:

If it becomes truly "weekly" it may be one of the cooler things on ComicVine.

paradox :o

@Raiiyn: You are most welcome :D

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ReVamp

@Mercy_ said:

@ReVamp said:

Hunty: CV's very own Zen master of the obvious.

:)

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mercy_

@ReVamp said:

@Mercy_ said:

@ReVamp said:

Vampy: CV's very own Zen master of being banned by Mercy

:D

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ReVamp

@Mercy_ said:

@ReVamp said:

@Mercy_ said:

@ReVamp said:

Mercy: That One CV mod that doesn't do what she says she would.

;)

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mercy_

Everybody say bye bye to Vampy for a little while.

Reality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Reality

@Mercy_ said:

I-AM-LEGION.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mercy_

@Reality said:

@Mercy_ said:

I-AM-LEGION.

...you bastard

Reality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Reality

@Mercy_ said:

@Reality said:

@Mercy_ said:

I-AM-LEGION.

...you bastard

I'm no Hunty or Sha, but I have at least half a dozen lil' mofoes running around. I mean, you think you're the first mod to try and pull a Banhammer on me?

The Shield is mightier than the Hammer.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Raiiyn

@ReVamp said:

@Mercy_ said:

@ReVamp said:

@Mercy_ said:

@ReVamp said:

Mercy: That One CV mod that doesn't do what she says she would.

;)

@Mercy_ said:

@Reality said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Reality said:

@Mercy_ said:

I-AM-LEGION.

...you bastard

I'm no Hunty or Sha, but I have at least half a dozen lil' mofoes running around. I mean, you think you're the first mod to try and pull a Banhammer on me?

lmfaoo ommmggg this entire thing.. really?! how did this blog just become a mercy/vamp war? ;P

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mercy_

@Reality said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Reality said:

@Mercy_ said:

I-AM-LEGION.

...you bastard

We'll see. I may just forget to unban you.

@Raiiyn: I have a knack for taking things off topic ;)

Reality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Reality

@Mercy_ said:

@Reality said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Reality said:

@Mercy_ said:

I-AM-LEGION.

...you bastard

We'll see. I may just forget to unban you.

Meh. I was thinking of going full time on another "undercover" alt anyways. Just giving me another reason to.

Yes. ITS HER FAULT. *points finger*. It not like I was the first person to deviate from the topic or anything, that'd be absolutely preposterous.

Hopefully being banned makes me uncool. *Smiles innocently*

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Raiiyn

@Mercy_ said:

loool

It looks like you do ;P

@Reality said:

Hopefully being banned makes me uncool. *Smiles innocently*

annnnddd ummm.. what made you think you were a kool kat in the first place O___O

Reality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Reality

@Raiiyn said:

annnnddd ummm.. what made you think you were a kool kat in the first place O___O

Didn't say I was. I could be normal and still become uncooler.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By danhimself

nice job! I like reading these kind of things no matter who is doing them

also I'm pretty sure that I'm not considered cool by anyone...anywhere

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Raiiyn

@Reality said:

@Raiiyn said:

Didn't say I was. I could be normal and still become uncooler.

=O

No Caption Provided

@danhimself: Thank you.. I haven't had time to do another one but I was thinking of getting another one out this weekend ;P

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ReVamp

LOL. If you need help, you know where I'm at.

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By feebadger

@Raiiyn said:

@feebadger:

No Caption Provided

BWAHAHAHHHAAH! That's it! That's what you did to my mind!!! Dang you, Stoolers! (waves fist in an enraged and slightly embarrassing fashion) Damn you all to HECK! (that's right, i use ALL the bad words!)

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Raiiyn

@feebadger said:

@Raiiyn said:

@feebadger:

No Caption Provided

BWAHAHAHHHAAH! That's it! That's what you did to my mind!!! Dang you, Stoolers! (waves fist in an enraged and slightly embarrassing fashion) Damn you all to HECK! (that's right, i use ALL the bad words!)

=O

How could you use such foul language?! Someone needs to wash your mouth out with soap...

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By feebadger

@Raiiyn: Oh, don;t worry, It has been tried. My mum tried to wash my mouth out with soap when i was a kid, but we had run out at the time so she stuck my head in the dishwasher instead. Didn't stop me cussin' though goshdarnnit!

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#30  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @ReVamp: Who gets to tend the rabbits?
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ReVamp

@RazzaTazz said:

@ReVamp: Who gets to tend the rabbits?

Uhhhhhh.

I'm totally lost...?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#32  Edited By RazzaTazz

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.