Spotlight: WONDER WOMAN Vol. 2 Hardcover

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

The second volume of WONDER WOMAN was recently released in hardcover, and we were able to get our hands on a copy of our very own. As a huge fan of this series we were pretty excited about reading it for the first time and seeing whether putting some money down for a hardcover edition of this series was worth it. Having checked it out and re-reading the series, there is no doubt that this Wonder Woman hardcover is fantastic and having it collected makes it extremely easy to read. Having said that, it did have it's share of problems.

This series is great, the story is exciting and interesting, but one of the problems I found was that it starts at a very odd place. Beginning the volume with issue #7 feels a bit awkward and feels like you are jumping in at the middle of the story arc. You are introduced to certain new characters in previous issues of WONDER WOMAN that are interesting, but if you are new to the series you might find yourself wondering who they are and how they fit into the overall story.

== TEASER ==

One of the cool things about the collected edition of this trade is the fact that the publisher managed to include the penciled version of each one of Cliff Chiang's covers from issue's #7 through #12. It gives us a bit of insight into the way that Chiang works; the fact that he is able to illustrate without really sketching anything out is kind of impressive.

In addition to getting a look at the unfinished covers to the series, we also get several pages of character designs and concept art that had been created for the series. While it is really great, and it is nice to see how the character designs came to be and read the notes associated with the character and concept designs. Our only real complaint is that there aren't very many pages of that, here.

If you have been a fan of this series then you absolutely should get this as part of your collection. If you are not yet a fan or haven't been reading then this may not necessarily be the Wonder Woman collection for you. If you're new to WONDER WOMAN we definitely recommend picking up the Volume one hardcover first as it feels more like a cohesive story that doesn't just start in the middle of everything. I was hoping to at least see a prologue or an epilogue from the writer or someone else invested in the creation of this volume, but unfortunately there isn't anything like that here. Sadly, you only get six extra pages of character sketches and concept art -- which isn't very many -- and I think it would have been nice to have a small blurb from the series' artist discussing his inspiration for the different character designs, but we don't get anything like that either.

Essentially, if you want this series collected in hardcover then by all means pick it up. It's a great compliment if you already have the first volume. However, if you're a new reader, you probably do not want to start here as you miss out on a lot of the story.

#1 Posted by telepathic666 (227 posts) - - Show Bio

AMAZING!

#2 Posted by dreamfall31 (473 posts) - - Show Bio

As soon as Batwoman Vol 2 comes out next week I'm ordering that, this, and Captain Marvel Vol 1 as well!

#3 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1005 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome. I just ordered the first volume and it should be coming soon. I'll pre-order this asap.

#4 Posted by bsavelli (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely a buy. For me, this is the best DC book alongside Batman, Batwoman, and the Rotworld crossover. Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang are managing to put together an amazing story.

#5 Posted by Loki2u (202 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman has been an amazing book, I'm a huge fan.

I have a question as I rarely buy trades......how would the issue of being "thrown into the middle of a story arc" be avoided when buying a second or third volume? I'm not sure I understand the critique.

#6 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio

Gorgeous!

#7 Posted by LarryDavis (143 posts) - - Show Bio

It's really too bad that you can't rely on DC's trade department at all. I get a lot more DC than Marvel in singles, because I know I can't always be guaranteed they'll be collected in a fashion that makes any sense. It's good to see they've done right with this and Action Comics, at least.

#8 Posted by jphulk26 (1260 posts) - - Show Bio

@Babs: Are you seriously fans of this series? i´m sure I´ve had discussions with you on this Babs.

#9 Posted by RazzaTazz (9351 posts) - - Show Bio

nice art pages!

#10 Posted by Cavemold (1646 posts) - - Show Bio

not bad. but no thank you

#11 Posted by Azrael66 (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome looking.

#12 Posted by judasnixon (5451 posts) - - Show Bio

Go Cliff Chiang, Brian Azzarello getting the red carpet treatment of printing! Those cats deserve it.

#13 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3536 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the design work, but the cover is a bit lack luster. It could have used an original illustration. I love that battle gear design.

#14 Posted by Icon (2044 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm loving this series. Best Wonder Woman yet.

#15 Posted by ZEELLO (223 posts) - - Show Bio

If I got a hardcover I think I would throw out the paper cover. (or store it somewhere.) Does anyone else do that?

Normally I'd refer paperback but in some cases I will have to wait more than half a year for a paperback version.

#16 Edited by kartron (418 posts) - - Show Bio

First of all thanks Sara for this article. This is very much helpful!!!! 1) Hey it's volume two and obviously a continuation book than a jumping point book. 2) I agree on the point about a small prologue would be great
3) less no. of pages of art is disappointing.
I have the first volume HC but I think I will wait for its trade version to buy rather than this one. Doesn't seem worth it. Note: I am a huge fan of this series and have every issue AND HC 1.

#17 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I do want this but only will get it once I get Vol. 1 first.

#18 Posted by darkman61288 (673 posts) - - Show Bio

They called the last one Blood and this one Guts. So what is next Bones and then brains.

#19 Posted by Billy Batson (56962 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreamfall31 said:

As soon as Batwoman Vol 2 comes out next week I'm ordering that, this, and Captain Marvel Vol 1 as well!

Batwoman Vol. 2 came out last week.

BB

#20 Posted by drgnx (3515 posts) - - Show Bio

@Babs said:

This series is great, the story is exciting and interesting, but one of the problems I found was that it starts at a very odd place. Beginning the volume with issue #7 feels a bit awkward and feels like you are jumping in at the middle of the story arc. You are introduced to certain new characters in previous issues of WONDER WOMAN that are interesting, but if you are new to the series you might find yourself wondering who they are and how they fit into the overall story.

I'm confused by the expectation here... were you expecting a recap, or do you suggest each volume to contains a full arc? It looks like they expect buyers to have read the previous volume like the monthly comics expect previous readings or offer references...

#21 Posted by Lvenger (16066 posts) - - Show Bio

So I've started reading Wonder Woman starting at issue 13 but I think I should be playing catch up as well. Should I get Volume 1 and this too?

#22 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2157 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, this would be a great book to get. Add it to the ever increasing pile. How much special extra features are there if any?

#23 Posted by johnqestion (124 posts) - - Show Bio

It's an interesting book . A much more vertigo type WW than straight up superhero. Remeber how people panned this book off from the start with Zeus as her father.and then the man seducing killer amazons all over the internet and then suddenly are fans of the whole thing. So lesson learned? Let people tell their stories. Mind you, it is very not connected to anything DC are doing so read it as story than has zero continuity links.

#24 Posted by kennybaese (1004 posts) - - Show Bio

I really need to pick this, Batwoman, and Green Lantern up. I'm falling behind. Stupid budget.

#25 Posted by dreamfall31 (473 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Hmmm....weird. Amazon says it's not out till the 22nd. Either way I'm waiting to order them all at once!

#26 Posted by tglass1976 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreamfall31: Comic collections typically release to book stores a week after they release to comic book shops. So Amazon gets this stuff a week after the LCS.

#27 Posted by Billy Batson (56962 posts) - - Show Bio

@dreamfall31 said:

@Billy Batson: Hmmm....weird. Amazon says it's not out till the 22nd. Either way I'm waiting to order them all at once!

Amazo tends to show their products coming out late pretty often.
BB

#28 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

So I've started reading Wonder Woman starting at issue 13 but I think I should be playing catch up as well. Should I get Volume 1 and this too?

I would definitely recommend getting the first volume!

#29 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnqestion said:

Mind you, it is very not connected to anything DC are doing so read it as story than has zero continuity links.

That may be one of the things I like most about this series; it feels consistently disconnected from everything else in the DCU. I think it's good because there have been so many changes to her character and it's given the creative team an opportunity to really explore who she is.

#30 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

@Babs said:

I'm confused by the expectation here... were you expecting a recap, or do you suggest each volume to contains a full arc? It looks like they expect buyers to have read the previous volume like the monthly comics expect previous readings or offer references...

I don't personally think that the publisher should have started at issue #7 for the second volume. If so, there should be some kind of recap that could help new readers. I expected (or hoped for) some kind of prologue, but we don't get that. I personally think it's a mistake; someone buying the second volume should be able to pick up where volume 1 left off. That's how you sell books, by making things easily accessible to new readers. The consumer that buys the weekly issues isn't always necessarily the consumer that only purchases trades.

#31 Posted by Lvenger (16066 posts) - - Show Bio

@Babs said:

@johnqestion said:

Mind you, it is very not connected to anything DC are doing so read it as story than has zero continuity links.

That may be one of the things I like most about this series; it feels consistently disconnected from everything else in the DCU. I think it's good because there have been so many changes to her character and it's given the creative team an opportunity to really explore who she is.

Definitely agree with this. Azzarello has developed Diana's character and branched out her supporting cast and depcitions of the Greek Gods far more than Johns has even referred to in Justice League where she's a shell of her former self. And I'm gonna take your tip at the next convention I go to Babs!

#32 Posted by drgnx (3515 posts) - - Show Bio

@Babs said:

@drgnx said:

@Babs said:

I don't personally think that the publisher should have started at issue #7 for the second volume. If so, there should be some kind of recap that could help new readers. I expected (or hoped for) some kind of prologue, but we don't get that. I personally think it's a mistake; someone buying the second volume should be able to pick up where volume 1 left off. That's how you sell books, by making things easily accessible to new readers. The consumer that buys the weekly issues isn't always necessarily the consumer that only purchases trades.

Okay, I get what you mean, I don't think they looked at if from that perspective. Basically they seem to be treating them like on-goings. Separating them by arc, or modifying the stories so that each book is a 'complete section' would have its advantages, for both the consumer and DC. It could allow the consumer to jump in at any point and not feel lost, or it could allow collectors to own their favorite arcs without having unneeded chapters at the start and end.

For their purpose, a prologue could have worked.

#33 Posted by abhay217 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

is there a release date list like the one for the volume 1's??

#34 Posted by cacarl (138 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Actually, Amazon gets the books later because comic books stores are the priority for the companies. It is a nice way to say "Thank you for your support."

#35 Posted by fables87 (838 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman, Batwoman, and Aquaman are the three titles I get in trades for the New 52. Glad Vol. 2s are coming out now. I think WW is the best of the new 52 still. Why? Because they actually understood what a reboot meant. Even though WW has gone through so many reboots, they got it right this time around. and I agree with people saying it's like a Vertigo comic. Anyone else remember Sandman connecting with WW before this?

#36 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Tony a huge fan of the series?

#37 Posted by cbishop (6315 posts) - - Show Bio

: I came into this series right at #7, and I have yet to get a TPB of Volume 1. Do you know if the TPB has the same "extras" that the hardcover has? (i.e. sketch pages, covers, etc.) I ask, because I'm loving the series, and would like to see all the extras, but I tend to get the softcover, rather than the hardcover.

#38 Posted by Skylynx (9 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkman61288: Going by what War said in the #0 issue ("I be blood, I be guts, I be iron, I be War!") then I'd hazard a guess that volume three will be called Iron.

#39 Posted by MyComicStoreDotNET (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Really dig the character designs, myself.

#40 Edited by TheCannon (16085 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait. This is by far the best title DC has. And I'm sick of wearing out the actual comics.

#41 Posted by girlinfourcolors (12 posts) - - Show Bio

I would prefer a nice, big, Deluxe Edition for this series. The story doesn't really break at the six issue mark, it breaks at twelve, which would be perfect for a Deluxe Edition. Issue 13 is also a decent (though not perfect) jumping on point, too, where the second Deluxe Edition could start.

I have similar feelings about Scott Snyder's Batman series. I would LOVE a Court of Owls/Night of the Owls Deluxe Edition, as again, it works much better as one long, twelve chapter story.

#42 Posted by braynehurricane (128 posts) - - Show Bio

@LarryDavis: Do you mean like the Blackest Night books being separated into their own titles' volumes instead of being put together as a cohesive story (as intended)? I don't know of many other complaints about DC trades. Could you enlighten me as to some I should look out for?

#43 Posted by LarryDavis (143 posts) - - Show Bio

@braynehurricane said:

@LarryDavis: Do you mean like the Blackest Night books being separated into their own titles' volumes instead of being put together as a cohesive story (as intended)? I don't know of many other complaints about DC trades. Could you enlighten me as to some I should look out for?

Just look at the New 52 trades, man. Some are hardcovers, some aren't. They released the Starman Omnibus series in HC, but the Shade miniseries is only coming in TPB.

The number of issues in the trades vary heavily. Most have 5 issues, but the Earth Two collection coming out has 8 issues, and is coming out far later than the others. They're staggered like crazy, and often come out long after that storyline has concluded, making it hard for new readers to jump into singles. Other publishers generally try to get the trades out pretty soon, so you can get the trade and then get single issues from there. Icon, Image, and Dark Horse do a good job with that. I remember with that first wave of New 52 stuff, some of the trades came out waaaaaaaaay after others.

Also, the binding quality on their omnibus (specifically, the Flash and Green Lantern ones, my Invisibles one seems fine) was very sub-par, often falling apart. I think they've fixed that, but I dunno.

Finally, they just outright don't collect a bunch of stuff.

Really, overall, it's just a lack of consistently. For the most part their stuff isn't terribly produced, you just never know what you're gonna get.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.