Soule's WW or Azzarello's? which is best?

#1 Posted by Bezza (3777 posts) - - Show Bio

So, for those of you like me who enjoyed Wonder Woman finally shake loose in Superman/Wonder Woman # 5, whose WW do you prefer the one in her own comic or the one in Superman/Wonder Woman who saves Kal-El from a kicking?

#2 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18460 posts) - - Show Bio

the story is still better in her solo

although the art is VASTLY superior in SM/WW

and yeah, it was fun to see her kick some kryptoninan booty.

#3 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (760 posts) - - Show Bio

This one...

#4 Posted by dshipp17 (1097 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point, I'll have to go with Soule's Wonder Woman, because of the use of panel spacing in the last issue and Soule has also attracted me to his She-Hulk solo, which also had the same characteristic focus of the feet and leg area, as I purchased the digital copy at Comixology; the Superman/Wonder Woman story also had movement in the story, as did the She-Hulk story; the art work in both Soule's stories are more appropriate for comic books; the stories are also comic book appropriate. Soule was just bound to attract me with his focus of the feet and legs, but, in both cases, the comic book stories were also very good. I'm seriously considering looking up more of Soule's work. Keep up the good work Soule. That being said, Azzarello's Wonder Woman has been decent, as the lack of real movement detracts from his work.

#5 Edited by ArchiZoom (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager said:

the story is still better in her solo

although the art is VASTLY superior in SM/WW

and yeah, it was fun to see her kick some kryptoninan booty.

I actually really like Chiang's art, I can't stop saying it. On the other hand I don't like SM/WW's at all. Honestly I think she's ugly, she always seems sad and her outfit is so thin it looks like body paint. Chiang's Wonder Woman wears the same outfit yet she looks appreciably less slutty.

I have mixed feelings about SM/WW because the dialogues are poor, their personalities are completely wrong and they make a boring couple but at least Soule gave her a powerful feat finally which I craved so desperately so as long as he feeds us more of that, I can look past her dull, lackluster personality

#6 Posted by dmessmer (367 posts) - - Show Bio

Prior to this month I was getting a little wary of Soule's Wonder Woman (though not as wary as I am of @dshipp17's foot fetish - seriously, dude, keep that to yourself). She finally took an active role and kicked some serious ass.

But then Azzarello's Wonder Woman also kicked some ass this month. At this point I think it's still too early for me to tell - Soule is still building his version of the character whereas Azzarello's is pretty well established. I like Azzarello's version, but it's far from definitive, so if Soule keeps things headed in the direction of #5 he might surpass Azzarello in my esteem soon.

#7 Edited by dshipp17 (1097 posts) - - Show Bio

@dmessmer said:

Prior to this month I was getting a little wary of Soule's Wonder Woman (though not as wary as I am of @dshipp17's foot fetish - seriously, dude, keep that to yourself). She finally took an active role and kicked some serious ass.

But then Azzarello's Wonder Woman also kicked some ass this month. At this point I think it's still too early for me to tell - Soule is still building his version of the character whereas Azzarello's is pretty well established. I like Azzarello's version, but it's far from definitive, so if Soule keeps things headed in the direction of #5 he might surpass Azzarello in my esteem soon.

If you don't find a woman's feet so beautiful that you can't express it in public, than your brain is just wired differently (e.g. I'd think you were weird, if I wasn't convinced that you're simply putting on a show and too cowardly to express how you really feel, despite being in anonymity); if I'm going to express my opinion about what I like about something, I'm going to express; your suggestion that I stop relaying this portion of my opinion has been considered, but denied. Understand that I was invited to express my taste and I expressed; you was invited to express your tastes, and you consistently say things that I'm wary of, but I let you express your opinion about your likes and dislikes; I'd suggest that you keep your man shaming to yourself, particularly being a man, but, this is a message board inviting one's opinions.

#8 Edited by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are great so ill go with the cop out answer and say both :p

#9 Edited by WonderWomanFan8 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

Soule...Better feats and more displays of her strength, from what I've seen. Better visual depiction of Diana in terms of the artwork. And...there at least were in Soule's version places where Diana has actually took time to briefly reflect on her recent happenings, something that she doesn't seem to do much in her own book.

#10 Posted by Pokeysteve (8443 posts) - - Show Bio

I have mixed feelings about SM/WW because the dialogues are poor, their personalities are completely wrong and they make a boring couple but at least Soule gave her a powerful feat finally which I craved so desperately so as long as he feeds us more of that, I can look past her dull, lackluster personality

How so? I kind of see it as Azz focusing in on one aspect of her personality (her compassion and empathy) and Soule focusing on another (her fierceness and seriousness).

#11 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (760 posts) - - Show Bio

Soule...Better feats and more displays of her strength, from what I've seen. Better visual depiction of Diana in terms of the artwork. And...there at least were in Soule's version places where Diana has actually took time to briefly reflect on her recent happenings, something that she doesn't seem to do much in her own book.

Don't forget there's also a lot more characterization, because we get to hear her inner thoughts. She also has a friend besides Zola and she does normal things like going shopping and changing clothes.( For some reason it bugs me that Azzarello's version wears her costume most of the time, unless she's knocked out and someone puts her in a different outfit.)

#12 Edited by Akindoodle (1029 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine: Um, sorry if I'm late to the party, but when did Diana learn to speak Kryptonian?

#13 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (760 posts) - - Show Bio

@akindoodle: Soule didn't say exactly. She just started speaking it and Zod commented on it. It may have happened off panel or through osmosis or something. Learning languages was one of her powers before the New 52. She could even communicate with animals, like she did the snakes in S/WW 5.

#14 Edited by ArchiZoom (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve said:

@archizoom said:

How so? I kind of see it as Azz focusing in on one aspect of her personality (her compassion and empathy) and Soule focusing on another (her fierceness and seriousness).

There's a world of a difference between a compassionate person and that insipid, sad-looking woman who spends her days and nights talking about Superman. She doesn't come across as a strong, intelligent lady. Azzarello's doesn't seem very bright either but at least she's spirited and fun.

#15 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34019 posts) - - Show Bio

Easily Azz, forget about Ms. Superman

#16 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (760 posts) - - Show Bio

@archizoom said:

@pokeysteve said:

@archizoom said:

There's a world of a difference between a compassionate person and that insipid, sad-looking woman who spends her days and nights talking about Superman. She doesn't come across as a strong, intelligent lady. Azzarello's doesn't seem very bright either but at least she's spirited and fun.

It's kind of hard to look sad and "slutty" at the same time, which one is it? She doesn't look too sad to me, nor "slutty" either for that matter.

#17 Posted by Pokeysteve (8443 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol it's a book about the two of them. It'd be weird if she didn't talk about him. Azz hits her character pretty well but she doesn't do anything. We're on issue 28 and I feel like she's just starting to not be a supporting character.

#18 Edited by Akindoodle (1029 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine said:

@akindoodle: Soule didn't say exactly. She just started speaking it and Zod commented on it. It may have happened off panel or through osmosis or something. Learning languages was one of her powers before the New 52. She could even communicate with animals, like she did the snakes in S/WW 5.

Cool. Thanks

And WOW. Where's that pic from? I scrolled down and could totally hear saxophone accompaniment a la Jessica Rabbit, Lil Red style when I saw that panel

#19 Edited by ArchiZoom (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve: only about each other? I swear they look like a self-absorbed couple to me. This relationship could be fun, they could do things together, smile, poke fun at each other, hang out with their mutual friends and fight powerful villains. Instead Soule's competing with Nicholas Sparks.

@scorpio_cassadine: really? since when sad and slutty are contradictory. Her face looks sad and her outfit is "slutty" because it looks like she's wearing body paint. Superman who is invulnerable wears an armored kryptonian bio-tech uniform yet she wears a tiny paper-thin bathing suit ? Those 2 pages were NOT done by Tony S. Daniel

#20 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (760 posts) - - Show Bio

@akindoodle:

@pokeysteve: only about each other? I swear they look like a self-absorbed couple to me. This relationship could be fun, they could do things together, smile, poke fun at each other, hang out with their mutual friends and fight powerful villains. Instead Soule's competing with Nicholas Sparks.

@scorpio_cassadine: really? since when sad and slutty are contradictory. Her face looks sad and her outfit is "slutty" because it looks like she's wearing body paint. Superman who is invulnerable wears an armored kryptonian bio-tech uniform yet she wears a tiny paper-thin bathing suit ? Those 2 pages were NOT done by Tony S. Daniel

No they weren't, but they were in Superman/Wonder Woman #4 so what's your point? If you want a Tony S. Daniel pic of her smiling, then here you go...

#21 Posted by Muffin_Sangria (653 posts) - - Show Bio

Since when does Wonder Woman have compassion, empathy, and spirit in Azz's book? As far as I can tell solo Wonder Woman doesn't have any personality.

#22 Edited by ArchiZoom (1124 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine: That's perfect. Here she is in the balcony of her big ass london apartment thinking about Superman since he fills her mind completely. He brought her a flower that somehow survived a supersonic flight. I had never seen this scene done before except once in A Walk to Remember and the Turkish Airlines commercial.

#23 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (760 posts) - - Show Bio

@archizoom: How do you know what she's thinking? Are you secretly Miss Cleo from the Phychic Friends Network?

#24 Posted by Johnni_Kun (289 posts) - - Show Bio

Easily Azz, forget about Ms. Superman

Pretty much this. Soule is overrated. Not a fan of his characterization of Wonder Woman as well.

#25 Posted by divingfalcon713 (283 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Azz's WW more, but Soule is doing a good job too.

#27 Posted by WonderWomanFan8 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

Since when does Wonder Woman have compassion, empathy, and spirit in Azz's book? As far as I can tell solo Wonder Woman doesn't have any personality.

I concur. To me, in Azz's book, Diana's personality is split between two sides of a coin. On one side, she's an angsty, ill-equipped baby sitter who has essentially gotten lost in the shuffle of dysfunctional family drama. She's spent most of her time reacting to problems around her as opposed to be proactive. And the rare times where she initiated a plan, they usually weren't good ones.

On the other side, she's very naïve, gullible, and easily deceived by people she shouldn't be so quick to trust. I mean, when she gave Hell Eros' guns, she just assumed that he wouldn't shoot them; or the times when Zola was snatched from under her nose; or when she couldn't find any other way to stop First Born from killing War, other than by killing them BOTH...oh, wait a minute. She only killed War and had to become the god of war...How come she didn't kill First Born there when she had the chance?

Diana doesn't come across as a very effective warrior in her own book. A shame.

#28 Edited by drgnx (3565 posts) - - Show Bio

Soul's WW just owned Zod and Faora after they both own Superman .... I think he wins?

#29 Edited by dshipp17 (1097 posts) - - Show Bio

@wonderwomanfan8 said:
@muffin_sangria said:

I concur. To me, in Azz's book, Diana's personality is split between two sides of a coin. On one side, she's an angsty, ill-equipped baby sitter who has essentially gotten lost in the shuffle of dysfunctional family drama. She's spent most of her time reacting to problems around her as opposed to be proactive. And the rare times where she initiated a plan, they usually weren't good ones.

On the other side, she's very naïve, gullible, and easily deceived by people she shouldn't be so quick to trust. I mean, when she gave Hell Eros' guns, she just assumed that he wouldn't shoot them; or the times when Zola was snatched from under her nose; or when she couldn't find any other way to stop First Born from killing War, other than by killing them BOTH...oh, wait a minute. She only killed War and had to become the god of war...How come she didn't kill First Born there when she had the chance?

I don't see it so much as a matter of naivety, and being gullible, so much as I see it as people taking advantage of her kindness and willingness to help people in need; kind of like Judas being allowed by Jesus to be one of his disciples; but I would not dare think of Jesus as gullible; as Wonder Woman just said, I hope she doesn't take these instances of having her kindness taken advantage of to become a selfish, self-center jerk, who perpetuates stereotypes about the poor and people in need to look for every opportunity to avoid helping the needy; this aspect of her character can be further expanded upon by the next writer and would earn a new level of my respect for her, if I saw that she helps all sorts of people who are poor and in need; I have my kindness taken advantage of all the time, I am naive and gullible, in a lot of ways, but, once I catch on to someone, I can become so skeptical or suspicious , that I can become insufferable; fortunately, I don't think Wonder Woman gets this way, and that what's makes her great, provided my assumptions are true.

I would love to become a contributor to the new Wonder Woman creative team, even if it were just in the background, free of charge, if necessary; I'd consider it a welcomed volunteer project for me; the new run would be loaded with intrigue and fans would not have to be worried that the run would become boring, overtime, guaranteed, if I were contributing; trust me, issue 7 of Azz's would be just the beginning of many recurring instances of shock value.

#30 Posted by Muffin_Sangria (653 posts) - - Show Bio

@muffin_sangria said:

Yeah that scene was really weird. I was relieved in the next issue when they showed First Born tied up because in that scene it looked like she just let him go free so he could lick his wounds and come back to make more trouble later. Even then it still seemed like a petty stupid plan.

#31 Posted by PapiNacho (2939 posts) - - Show Bio

Azz by a small margin, but that might change depending on how she handles the revived Amazons

#32 Posted by Primebonnick (2558 posts) - - Show Bio

Soule he has the feats and personality to mesh well. Azz nah she played naive person and baby sitter for too damn long

#33 Posted by Experio (16760 posts) - - Show Bio

Soule's

#34 Edited by Outside_85 (9653 posts) - - Show Bio

Soule isn't even close.

#35 Posted by Super-Wonder (97 posts) - - Show Bio

This relationship could be fun, they could do things together, smile, poke fun at each other, hang out with their mutual friends and fight powerful villains.

I would love to see this too.

#36 Posted by DianaXKal (511 posts) - - Show Bio

Soule's, Azzarello could never compare.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.