Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Should WW lose the high heels in her B v S Costume?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jphulk26

So many questions.

Why would Amazon Warriors wear high heels?

How is that practical in battle?

How does it fit Wonder Woman´s character?

And you know, just, WHY?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's a fantasy movie, none of it is real or makes sense. If you want to pick at impracticality then Batman is just a buffet of "That makes no sense he'd be dead in an instant"

Ugh... I just defended BVS... I feel so dirty

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Stahlflamme

If the actress was taller I would say lose them.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

lose em it doesnt make sense to have her wear heels

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Snyder should just mix up the 300 female costumes with the Spartan armor

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk but hey if BW can fight in high heel why not WW.

YodaPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope. anything to make her more feminine is a +

Malachi_Munroe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure she can manage heels so no.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Archizooom

I think Hollywood hasn't realized yet how much viewers DON'T care for these 80lbs badass cookie cutter chicks with flawless hair and heels that decorate the movies with men in the leading role, they're serviceable in that capacity

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as WW is Badass I don't care whether she has them or not. I mean the movie has a character that can fly so...

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

What's wrong with her wearing heels? She had them in her Golden Age stories and the JL cartoon. Personally I think she looks awesome.

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since Diana can defie gravity hells would have minimal affect on her fighting abilities.

silver_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By silver_archer

The heels were obviously made to compensate Gal's height.. at least imo. To make her look more intimidating and taller on screen. Gal's like what 5'9? Henry and Affleck are 6'1 and 6'3 or around that mark? That mean's if they're all barefoot Gal's gonna only reach around their eye level. So add in heels and call it a day.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's wrong with her wearing heels? She had them in her Golden Age stories and the JL cartoon. Personally I think she looks awesome.

+1

silver_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By silver_archer

@darkdetective27 said:

She'd look even more awesome strutting down with these

No Caption Provided

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The heels were obviously made to compensate Gal's height.. at least imo. To make her look more intimidating and taller on screen. Gal's like what 5'9? Henry and Affleck are 6'1 and 6'3 or around that mark? That mean's if they're all barefoot Gal's gonna only reach around their eye level. So add in heels and call it a day.

First, why does WW have to be tall. She´s a woman? Second, even if that is the case, there are plenty of camera tricks to achieve that affect, just ask Tom Cruise.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
    @silver_archer said:

First, why does WW have to be tall. She´s a woman? Second, even if that is the case, there are plenty of camera tricks to achieve that affect, just ask Tom Cruise.

because she is an Amazon :).besides,taller superheroine are better,at least for me.WW is like 6'1 in the comics now,right?women are usually somewhere between 5.6 or 5.7.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6 said:
    @jphulk26 said:
    @silver_archer said:

because she is an Amazon :).besides,taller superheroine are better,at least for me.WW is like 6'1 in the comics now,right?women are usually somewhere between 5.6 or 5.7.

Why are Amazons taller? Complete bs. There is just some obscure pseudofeminist nonsense that wonder woman has to be as tall as Superman. It´s idiotic. WW is a woman. She should be as tall as the woman who plays her. She´s supposed to be the ideal of femininity, not masculinity. Most women are shorter than men, so let her be short. does it take anything from Buffy or Clarice Starling being shorter than the men in their films? And to have her wear high heels to achieve that just shows me how dumb Snyder is.

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
    @goodboy6 said:
    @jphulk26 said:
    @silver_archer said:

Why are Amazons taller? Complete bs. There is just some obscure pseudofeminist nonsense that wonder woman has to be as tall as Superman. It´s idiotic. WW is a woman. She should be as tall as the woman who plays her. She´s supposed to be the ideal of femininity, not masculinity. Most women are shorter than men, so let her be short. does it take anything from Buffy or Clarice Starling being shorter than the men in their films? And to have her wear high heels to achieve that just shows me how dumb Snyder is.

I dont see the problem if a woman is taller than a man.most women are shorter,yes,but some are taller.I am,as a man,5.55 feet tall.Im not crying when I have a friend girl who is 6.1.thats not important now.if they are making tall superheroine then its fine bay me and most of the fans.really,there is no problem here.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodboy6: @jphulk26: Wonder Woman isn't just some woman. Amazons, according to mythology, are suppose to be bigger than the average human. Big Barda is taller than Mr Miracle so it isn't a big deal if Diana is taller than Clark. Remember that one episode of JLU where Diana was a giant compared to the girl that was marrying Vandal Savage?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jphulk26

@goodboy6: @jphulk26: Wonder Woman isn't just some woman. Amazons, according to mythology, are suppose to be bigger than the average human. Big Barda is taller than Mr Miracle so it isn't a big deal if Diana is taller than Clark. Remember that one episode of JLU where Diana was a giant compared to the girl that was marrying Vandal Savage?

Yeah, as I said you can do that with camera tricks like they do in every Tom Cruise movie. Having her wear high heels doesn´t make her taller than Superman, it makes her a dumb woman wearing high heels in a fight.

Why would a warrior fight in high heels if it hinders her ability to fight? It makes no sense. Its not like Catwoman where the heels served a purpose and more importantly high heels fit her character.

The reason Zack Snyder did this has nothing to do with some "feminist" point that ww is as tall or big as the boys (whatever that means) but bc he thinks it makes her sexier and that is the most anti-wonder woman I can think. It´s a thoughtless, dumb thing to do, that is completely inconsiderate of WW´s character.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm not gonna be looking at her feet.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: Hasn't she worn heels throughtout most of her history? As others have stated, who is really paying attention to her feet?

GoodBoy6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
    @somayareece said:

Yeah, as I said you can do that with camera tricks like they do in every Tom Cruise movie. Having her wear high heels doesn´t make her taller than Superman, it makes her a dumb woman wearing high heels in a fight.

Why would a warrior fight in high heels if it hinders her ability to fight? It makes no sense. Its not like Catwoman where the heels served a purpose and more importantly high heels fit her character.

The reason Zack Snyder did this has nothing to do with some "feminist" point that ww is as tall or big as the boys (whatever that means) but bc he thinks it makes her sexier and that is the most anti-wonder woman I can think. It´s a thoughtless, dumb thing to do, that is completely inconsiderate of WW´s character.

maybe he should remove her bra.

I know.Im just saying to @jphulk26 that if a woman is taller,then she is.there is no problem here..

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sexy is anti-WW? Wow that a new one.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KritikalMassX

@the_stegman said:

I'm not gonna be looking at her feet.

She's not Power Girl, dude.

No Caption Provided

LOL

Joking aside though, I don't see the problem with WW's high heels and amazons tend to be 5'10" to 6'0" (or higher), so I do love tall girls. She shouldn't lose those heels.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jphulk26

@somayareece - No she hasn´t ALWAYS worn high heels, but a lot of the time in comics they add it to her costume and I didn´t think it made sense there either. Also, in comics it´s a drawing so you can get away with it without looking that stupid. It´s just looks incredibly unpractical in live-action. Its not the end of the world, but it annoys me.

@darknightspideyfanboy said:

Sexy is anti-WW? Wow that a new one.

Her trying to be sexy for the sake of it, i.e. in battle is anti-wonder woman. That´s what makes her sexy, the fact you know she isn´t trying, she´s just being herself and happens to be hot.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: but WW wearing heels while fighting crime, is her thing.

silver_archer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By silver_archer

@jphulk26 said:

@somayareece - No she hasn´t ALWAYS worn high heels, but a lot of the time in comics they add it to her costume and I didn´t think it made sense there either. Also, in comics it´s a drawing so you can get away with it without looking that stupid. It´s just looks incredibly unpractical in live-action. Its not the end of the world, but it annoys me.

If wearing heels is unpractical in live action then you as well include her powers being unrealistic as well. Oh wait, this is all fiction. I don't like it either, but as they say suspension of disbelief.

Besides, Gal's a fashion model. It's not like she has zero experience walking around in high heels while wearing silly clothing.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Archizooom

@darknightspideyfanboy said:

@jphulk26: but WW wearing heels while fighting crime, is her thing.

No, her thing as a feminist or just as an intelligent woman is not wearing them, a woman that shows up on the battlefield wearing jimmy choos is obviously an imbecile. What kind of feminist icon puts beauty before her own well being, you know what I mean. High heels were originally worn by high-society men that quickly dispensed with them. They were deemed more appropriate for upper class women since they're occupation at the time was to sit on their asses and nibble on petit fours. Women have since taken up jobs, if heels were no good for working men, they're no good for working women. The whole 'suffer for fashion' motto is dumb, I rather wish Wonder Woman had nothing to do with it

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: what faction of feminist think that? Also this is WW with super strength, speed etc her wearing heel wouldn't bother her at all.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By dernman

Yes she should but it's not a big issue for me. Though reason for her not to because of feminism makes me think she should keep em.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obscure fact: High Heals were a man thing before they ever were a female thing and it was frowned upon for females to wear them. Then in a trend of female empowerment were adopted by woman and became popular fashion item.

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Why do you feel dirty? We haven't seen it yet, it could be absolutely amazing.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: on the booze again are we Dernman

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dernman

@brunnhilde: They better to deal with you going off your meds my dear.

DevilMayehm666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does it matter? She can fly.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm of two minds about the high heels: On the one hand, yeah her fighting in them is kind of 'eh'. On the other hand, if she manages to fight on par with the boys while wearing high heels, that kicks her up a notch on the badass scale.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jphulk26

@dernman: @brunnhilde:

@jonsmith said:

I'm of two minds about the high heels: On the one hand, yeah her fighting in them is kind of 'eh'. On the other hand, if she manages to fight on par with the boys while wearing high heels, that kicks her up a notch on the badass scale.

I just want to explain to everyone who thinks I´m saying this out of some feminist commitement that I most certainly am not. My complaint is to do with WW as A CHARACTER. Her wearing high heels on a battle field when she is an Amazon makes no sense. On Themyscira, they would not have worn high heels, they would not have them at all, so why inexplicably after coming to Man´s World would WW decide to add high heels to her battle costume, knowing how inpractical they are? WW can wear high heels a a civilian, no problem, but why would she do it in battle? It can´t be from Themyscira or her culture, and from a writing point of view, at least to me, it makes no sense for the character to do.

If we were talking about Catwoman or Rogue, who are great characters, but who utilise sexuality as part of their arsenal against an opponent then it would make sense for them to wear high heels. WW wearing high heels makes as much sense to me as Hit Girl inexplicably deciding to wear high heels as part of her costume. Characters like Hit Girl or Black Widow or Wonder Woman are much more like soldiers, and it really doesn´t make sense to their characters to wear outfits in combat that aren´t purely practical. Sure it´s comics, so obviously we´re going to find away to sex it up, but none the less stay true to the character. To me I don´t think Zack Moron Snyder is going provide any reason for ww wearing these things. I bet Snyder thinks oh she looks hot in those and anyway who cares, she´s wonder woman she´s not even that important. Whereas in TDKR when Catwoman wore high heels, Nolan took time to really explain the reason why and in the end it was justified as it fit who CATWOMAN was.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@jphulk26: Unless WW's gonna be running the entire film or doing crazy Nightwing level gymnastic stunts I don't see what's problem. They're not high heels for crying out loud. They're like wedges. I have a pair of boots with a heel like that. Besides, This is only loosely based on WW's character. Like how this WW isn't gonna be that beautiful or have blue eyes and dair hair, this WW's wearing heels.

-xoxo, Saint Sophie

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: Unless WW's gonna be running the entire film or doing crazy Nightwing level gymnastic stunts I don't see what's problem. They're not high heels for crying out loud. They're like wedges. I have a pair of boots with a heel like that. Besides, This is only loosely based on WW's character. Like how this WW isn't gonna be that beautiful or have blue eyes and dair hair, this WW's wearing heels.

-xoxo, Saint Sophie

what?

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@jphulk26: You're saying that her wearing heels is impractical when heels aren't really a problem unless she's gonna be running around (10 bucks she isn't cause even in the comics she's mostly flying now). Also, remember, Persian soldiers use to heels to battle in order to help them. The europeans loved it so much that the guys began wearing heels to. Possibly also during war too. And your title's misinformed about high heels. Those are just small wedges. On screen, Barely noticeable unless you look at her feet for a good couple seconds and notice that her feet are at a slightly elevated angle. Which you probably won't notice.

Also, as for the bit about not wearing heels is not true to her character, remember this is Snyder's version for the films. Not the comics. If we're talking about things not being true to WW's character you might as well complain about her not having blue eyes as well but that's just silly cause it's just a tiny feature that won't matter. Same with the heels.

-xoxo, Saint Sophie

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: You're saying that her wearing heels is impractical when heels aren't really a problem unless she's gonna be running around (10 bucks she isn't cause even in the comics she's mostly flying now). Also, remember, Persian soldiers use to heels to battle in order to help them. The europeans loved it so much that the guys began wearing heels to. Possibly also during war too. And your title's misinformed about high heels. Those are just small wedges. On screen, Barely noticeable unless you look at her feet for a good couple seconds and notice that her feet are at a slightly elevated angle. Which you probably won't notice.

Also, as for the bit about not wearing heels is not true to her character, remember this is Snyder's version for the films. Not the comics. If we're talking about things not being true to WW's character you might as well complain about her not having blue eyes as well but that's just silly cause it's just a tiny feature that won't matter. Same with the heels.

-xoxo, Saint Sophie

I don´t think having blue eyes is essential to her character and who she is. I actually think in many ways Gal looks like some iterations of the character, she just needs to put on some wieght which I think she´s doing.

My point about the heels or wedges or what ever you want to call them, is they seem to be there to add some sex appeal to the character, as if she is somehow concerned about her looks and to me that isn´t ww. She the chick who literally cut off snakes from medusa head and poured acidic venom in her eyes, so that Medusa couldn´t turn her to stone and she could deafeat her in battle. That is not a woman too concerned with her looks. She does not use her sexuality as a distraction to her opponent the way Catwoman or Rogue might. She´s not that kind of character. She´s more just a straight up bad ass the way she fights, she fights with no intimidation. So her wearing something that is so obviously sexualised ruins that aspect of her character which is so unique for a female. It´s one of my favorite things about ww, and I think it´s one of her most endearing and funnily enough, attractive qualities. She´s this extremely beautiful, goddess like creature, but she pays literally no attention to her looks, it´s not something that crosses her mind as important to who she is.

Personally as well, after seeing Snyder´s Superman, I am not in the slightest interested in seeing Snyder´s Wonder Woman. I want them to stay as close to the comic book character as possible. In the hands of a more subtle director, I might be interested in them taking a few liberties here and there, but Snyder couldn´t even get Superman right, who is had a far more rich and diverse history for Snyder to draw inspiration from.

I´m still hoping for the best, I´m very optomistic about this movie because of Ben and Terrio´s involvement. I´m hoping Ben hasn´t been completely selfish and has supervised a script and story that allows both Supe´s and WW to have some great charaterisation that is superior to MOS. But little things like her being put in high heels or wedges, just gives me the sense that they´re not taking the character seriously and really ultimately don´t understand what makes WW special.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jphulk26

Oh and by the way, look at all the best depictions of wonder woman. The runs that most of us on this site agree are her best runs that understood the character most since Marston.

Perrez, Rucka, Simone, Jimminez, Luke, even Azzerrelo (who I hate), none of them had her wearing high heels.

Why are you showing me this? I already said I think it´s dumb in the comics as well and they should stop doing it.One of my favorite moments in her animated movie, which for me defines the way WW should fight is when she fights Diemos. The first thing she does is take of her shoes, which weren´t even high heels, but they were impractical for combat.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.