Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Should Wonder Woman have gotten an animated series instead of Batman Beyond?

• 77 results
    ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Tough question..

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, Batman Beyond was fantastic. I would prefer "in addition to" rather than "instead of." I would love to see the creative team behind the animated WW movie do a series. Maybe it could be on Cartoon Network or a Netflix original series.

starrk_coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By starrk_coyote

my god yes! i could not stand batman anymore a wonder woman animated show would have been a great break in the monotonous and dull and boring aspects of the DCAU :-/

but this are my 2 cents :)

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revivalmh: I agree. Batman Beyond was really good, but there were other Batman series that were absolutely not needed (The Batman) and I would love love love a Wonder Woman animated series in place of the current Teen Titans Go! series that just won't end.

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RevivalMH

@alsummers: Well I did really enjoy the original Teen Titans series even though it was nothing like the source material and Go is just taking that idea a step further I guess. I've watched a few episodes and parts of it are legitimately funny but I can understand the criticisms given to it.

As WW fans though we should hope for all other DC animated series to succeed so that the company may try and take more "risks" and give us a kick ass Wonder Woman series. Failures would most likely mean DC doesn't even attempt a series.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League aside, Static Shock, Batman Beyond, and Superman: TAS were what made the DCAU for me.

Some of the other Batman series now, and honestly even Teen Titans maybe would be good to replace.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

She needs animated series.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would have been nice to see WW lead an animated series, but I'm not sure it's commercially viable to do it for DC. I'm sure I'll get jumped on for this comment, but realistically an animated Wonder Woman isn't going to draw in young male audiences on TV ... so we'd probably have to consider a niche show for adults ala Adult Swim, or go the opposite direction and look at doing a show geared at mainstream young girls (along the lines of the DC Super Hero Girls) to me neither of these options is extremely appealing as it probably wouldn't be an animated style I like a lot and building a WW animated series for adult men is asking for a heap of issues regarding her sexuality and such, the second path is obviously too childish for me to appreciate beyond thinking it's "cute".

Batman, Superman, Justice League and Static Shock appeal because they can aim a show at younger mass audiences (i.e. 9-12 year old boys) and still make it sophisticated enough to appeal to older long time fans. Girls move on from animation much younger and don't come back as frequently, later in life, as men do so aiming an animated TV series at girls age 9-12 is a much more difficult proposition and would make it difficult for a show to succeed because adult men would also not be interested in the material aimed at young girls. And good luck trying to build a WW show aimed at boys 9-12 years old.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Sure she could use an animated series but not in the place of a series like Batman Beyond which was actually pretty good. Most of the DCAU was solid. In an ideal world pointless offerings like The Batman would have been replaced by a series focused on characters not related to the Batman or Superman universe (which includes Wonder Woman).

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Overmonitor

This is opinion not a question with a best answer lol

As others said why not both?

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

Though it would be cool to have a Wonder Woman TAS, Batman Beyond was amazing so I'm going to have to say no.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Maybe boys won't watch it but I'm sure girls will I mean young justice brought in a good amount of traffic and mostly teen girls watched it. Honestly an animated show is the way to go...it helps establish the character and build the world and garner a fan base leading to a great trajectory for the character I mean look at batman his animated show fans grew up and still love him and that has lead to so much batman material(at least in part) as long as they treat her right and write her well then I think its a great idea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like if for the next decade they just did that and maybe put out a few animated films of her most adored stories they really could give her a much broader audience esp in the long run

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@csg_cl: An animated series in the line of the animated movie can be successful, a lot of people like that movie. And a mature animated Wonder Woman TV series would be a series based on Ruka run,Perez run,etc. That can work too.

I doubt it. The animated movie was pretty well done, but it was slow to build sales ... even though it later had solid sales numbers. TV series success is based on ratings (usually no more than a 7-day window). If it doesn't have a solid audience pretty quickly it goes off the air, end of story, it's too costly for them to develop an animated series without something to help them project how it will perform on a weekly basis, perhaps if the WW live action film does very well they will consider an animated series as a follow-up. Why would you assume that an animated series would be based off of Ruka or Perez etc? DC hasn't really shown any interest in developing new material that isn't N52 or completely Elseworld based since War came out ... I don't see them suddenly deciding to go back to Pre-52 versions for a first time animated series.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@csg_cl: A well done animated series could use her best stories from the comics. It can appeal to a bigger audience. They can start by making 5 episodes with the first arc from Perez and proceed after that with Ruka,etc. It'd have a good chance to be successful.

I doubt it. And they aren't going to make a Pre-52 version at this point.

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no. Everything must always be about Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
    deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I would actually like to see a series that has elements from both. They can use stories from the Pre-52 while using the New 52 version. The New 52 doesn't have enough stories to make a good and well rounded series.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
    linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though it would be cool to have a Wonder Woman TAS, Batman Beyond was amazing so I'm going to have to say no.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Not under Dini.

AwesomeHobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think in regards to the question asked, if I was in the position of deciding whether to go between a Wonder Woman series and a Batman Beyond series at the time and their were good pitches of both, I'd have to go with Wonder Woman. If anyone could've pulled that trick out of their hat it was that group. You'd be completing the trinity.

I think in regards to doing one now that this would be the prime time for DC to jump on the Netflix train. The character is complex enough to handle the mature audience that Netflix usually provides but also simple enough for child audiences. I think you also need the Netflix quality creators if you really want to get her right. If you left it in the hands of the CW or WB Animation then you'd end up with the weird half-anime style of animation they've been pushing and that wouldn't due. And Ideally it would follow a similar path to the animated movie and based off similar stories.I'd also love to see some influence though from the new "Legend of Wonder Woman" as well to appeal to the younger demographic.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@csg_cl: Well then make it New 52. azz had a solid story slthough i dn't like many things he did. She can have have a successful animated series if it's well done.

Well done by whose standard? Aimed at what audience? What would success be? Everything you are talking about is from a fan's perspective, but has no bearing on a network executive who might want to run an animated series. We're all her fans on this forum, but realistically making a statement like "she can have a successful animated series if it's done well" is not true from a business standpoint. I'd love to see a great animated series for WW, but I'm also fairly certain that they will have to make sacrifices on the story and the way we know the character to make the show appealing to a larger audience. This isn't my opinion, this is the reality of television, good content does not always = success. Wonder Woman is an uphill battle for success in animated TV because her audience isn't the standard viewing group for cartoons.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cattlebattle

She was supposed to, but there was something up with the rights for the character at the time. Presumably they were owned by a company who wanted to make a film or something at the time.

If you recall, Wonder Woman never appears in any of the Batman/Superman shows although multiple other popular DC heroes do (Flash, Aquaman, Dr. Fate), also, in the Batman Beyond episode that features the Justice League, you will notice Big Barda appears in place of who was originally supposed to be Wonder Woman. They couldn't use her, but a series for the character was discussed by Bruce Timm and Dini before Batman Beyond was conceptualized.

They got her rights back in time for the JL cartoon in 2000. One of the reasons that further prompted them to do a Justice league series.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@csg_cl: A more mature audience. A series based on he best comic book stories would be intersting, considering the entire population of the world, you can be sure there is an audience for her too if they do things right.

those aren't answers, they are a wish list. TV development doesn't work as easy as that. I keep trying to tell you that network executives are going to want to see how a show can succeed in terms of profit (i.e. advertising dollars), which requires research and ratings estimates. An adult series for WW brings a whole ton of baggage to it since the options for broadcasting it are almost completely men 18-34. Nothing is impossible, but there is no way WW is going to get a solo animate tv series unless her solo film does very well at box office and WB chooses to take a chance that they can bring in some profit.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@csg_cl: The movie has nothing to do with it. She proved that when the Lynda Carter series was a hit when people thought a TV series based on a female hero couldn't be successful. They don't need kids as their target audience. The WW animted film worked well in the long run. They already have an idea of what an animated WW project can be.

First the Lynda Carter series was NOT a hit. It was middle of the road successful at best. Lasting 1 season on it's first network, being dropped due to mediocre ratings and high production costs, and then picked up by a second network for 2 seasons after a complete rehaul of the concept.

Second, yes the movie will matter ... if it doesn't do well it will slow down any potential WW projects in the works. It may accelerate or create opportunity should it perform well.

No they don't need kids to do an adult cartoon, but the adult audience of animated TV viewers is fairly narrow and is heavily Men 18-34. Success in TV is heavily based on the RIGHT NOW, not "in the long run" ... if a show doesn't perform quickly, it goes away.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@csg_cl: The Lynda Carter show was successful, you can ask the network the money it made for them.

WW hasn't had the exposure needed to be as solid as other A list characters in terms of general support,s o yes they have to start doing something about that beyond the 2017 film, because it will take more than that to earn her a solid place in the the film and TV industry, after many years of almost 0 exposure outside comics. This is why i say that an animated TV series could also be a good start, they could taste the water with it. As we know she hasn't udsed her full potential.

I've worked in this industry for 20 years. you're dead wrong.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rn they should get her a solid base for the character. It'd be cool if they put out ww shorts on YouTube or something and keep the digitals coming but I still think they should put out more animated films for her at least for the circle and the hiketeaia

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

They'd probably be better off with another TV show, Xena would be an example of proof of concept.

Where it comes to animation, I don't know where the target demographic would be, WW doesn't target girls or boys that well IMO.

You could change a lot of the elements of Wonder Woman around to make a popular cartoon if you weren't aiming for authenticity.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

No, because Batman Beyond helped expand the DC Universe with Neo Gotham. Though I would love to have seen a Wonder Woman animated series if its one or the other Id rather have Batman Beyond.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By darkdetective27

@agent41: It gave a future to the DC Universe and created the Justice League Beyond. It may have mostly helped Batman, but it also added things to the DC Universe as a whole.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41: I know and they should. I was just saying Batman Beyond did something that not many adaptations do which is expand the source material which is why I feel that it should have happened. To me its very important. Id really like them to make a Wonder Woman cartoon in the future as well as cartoons for their other characters.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
    @csg_cl said:
    @agent41 said:

@csg_cl: The Lynda Carter show was successful, you can ask the network the money it made for them.

WW hasn't had the exposure needed to be as solid as other A list characters in terms of general support,s o yes they have to start doing something about that beyond the 2017 film, because it will take more than that to earn her a solid place in the the film and TV industry, after many years of almost 0 exposure outside comics. This is why i say that an animated TV series could also be a good start, they could taste the water with it. As we know she hasn't udsed her full potential.

I've worked in this industry for 20 years. you're dead wrong.

That show was successful. And the truth is that one of the problems they have nowdays is that they did nothing to exposure her more outside the comics in the past 34 years. They have to start from somewhere. They have to build up the character's presence in the general audience outside comics. Make a 7 episodes series, some animated films, for example. The base for the character outside comics isn't going to make itself. The 2017 is a progress, but i think we both agree there is more work to do, and if they know what to do, expanding her horizon is possible.

I'm not trying to be rude here, but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about on this, It was not considered a success, now it's something of a cult classic, but in the 1970s when the show was on air it had average ratings at beset for a time when there were only 3 networks. By today's standards those audiences would be massive for a single network (in the day and age of hundreds of networks), but not by the standards of the time. A major indicator of a show's success has always been revenue generated by later syndication of the show, something that rarely happened for a show that had fewer than 100 episodes that originally aired, the fact that WW was canceled not once but twice prior to hitting the 100 episode benchmark is pretty much a sure fire way to know that the networks and production companies didn't have faith that the show would make enough money in syndication or in ad revenue to justify producing a 4th season. This fact alone is why major actors want "producer" credits on TVs ... they get massive royalties when it goes into syndication. Susan Somers was famously fired from 3s Company for insisting on syndication rights when she went for a contract renewal.

You are making a wish list of what you think would be good for WW, you are not thinking at all about what a producer or network would care about when they are considering what to put on the air. WW solo film will be a potential benchmark for them to decide if there is an audience and ad revenue worthy of producing any kind of TV series. Supergirl showing moderate success on CBS is also a potential data point they would consider before they make more decisions. Honestly I think a live action TV series is more likely than an animated one at this point.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@csg_cl: Your logic sounds like a theory suggesting that WW has no change to be successful with any audience. They wasted 3 decades, so don't act now like this film will be the be all, end all. Because one film alone won't change the entire enviroment of 3 decades with almost 0 exposure outside comics. They have work to do. The film is a progress but it shouldn't end there. If they really want WW to have a stronger presence outside comics, they need to work on it. Wish list?. That's how you call it because i think they have to work to build her brand?. They care about success of course, and it's their job to find the way to give the character the positive exposure that it needs to expand its horizon. It won't happen unless they work on it. That's the point.

what on earth are you going on about? I said nothing of the sort. I said the film's success will play a role in future WW projects, nothing more. Much like Supergirl's TV show success will play a role. TV execs care about ratings and profits and use historical data from "like" shows to determine viability for future projects. It's a business, the networks aren't in the business of building a character's brand, that's DC's job, the networks are a vehicle in which to do that, but DC has work to do to build a case for a network to take on the expense of a new show. There are literally thousands of TV shows in development at ALL times, the fact that WW has had at least 2 shows in concept and one get as far as a pilot actually says something significant about the character. This is because she has vastly more exposure outside of comics than you seem to realize. There are children's books and merchandising that expose millions to her character every year as well as her appearances in nearly every animated show done by DC/WB. Timm Bruce's universe is still in syndication as are various Superfriends cartoons. Not having a solo series does not = zero exposure.

I will contend that an animated TV series would be a much more difficult proposition for WW because of the audience for animation is well outside of a group predisposed to be interested in WW. This is a simple statement of fact, not a judgement on WW, but let's face it her audience sweet spot is NOT Men 18-34 or boys 12-15, which are the primary viewers for nearly all animated TV. Sometimes you just have to face reality that as much as an animated TV show could be incredible, it will still probably fail based on small viewership or limited advertising support.

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but I would've like to have seen a sequel to the animated Wonder Woman movie. DC/Warner knows which side of there bread has the butter. Batman is always gonna work.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.