Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8804 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Should Wonder Woman Have A Father Figure?

• 93 results
    ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ChadwickDavis

Personally I don't think that Zeus should be her father (or Hades or Posidon for that matter either). While I understand the the potential opportunities,My two biggest issues with this decision are

#1: I think that now there is no possible way to portray Heracles as hero who lost his way which, if they stick to a similar backstory is virtually impossible.

#2 I also think that it virtually irreparably damages Diana's faith in Hippolyta (being told that you are a gift from the gods only to find out that you are one of Zeus's many "One Night Stands"). Though on the positive side I see the potential for a Wonder Woman/ Hera alliance and I think Hera would be a great ally especially with Diana's respect for justice, and Hera's dedication to her "ideals", and their mutual irritation with Zeus.

Granted with Zeus' excessive womanizing tendencies it make sense, but it kind of makes Hippolyta seem kind of "easy". First Heracles, Then Zeus... and Zeus has a lot of sons with womanizing tendencies... and Hippolyta has always seemed to be a stronger character than that

I think her parent's should be one of the Titans in a mortal form (Typhon, Croeus/ not cronus, Hyperion, etc). Same powers class none of the weaknesses

Avatar image for gundamheavyarms
    GundamHeavyarms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By GundamHeavyarms

I know that Im in the minority here, but I really don't see the problem with this, you could still have the clay origin and have zeus be her dad. Hippolyta could be the one to sculpt her and Zeus could give her life and her powers. Its not that out there Athena came out of his head after it was split with an axe because Zeus ate her mother and then he had a really bad headache.

The whole "defiant daughter" thing doesn't surprise me either, just because Zeus is her dad doesn't mean they have a good relationship. In fact, don't most of his kids (legitimate or otherwise) defy him at some point anyway?

BradyDale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By BradyDale

Wow, this is a tough call for me.

On the one hand: yeah, it completely runs against who WW was always meant to be. Male'less.

On the other: as great as she is as a character, she's never made money. At least, not for a long time. She's only ever been popular as an icon, but not really as the lead in stories. She's been a loss leader.

Maybe the reason is because folks could just never identify with her. Could that be it? Being so high-minded and goody-two-shoes and noble (and also not fathered, like every actual human was) could just make her too alien for anyone to identify with. Like Martian Manhunter, great for a team book but not so much for a lead.

This despite the fact that, as Jim Lee says, she is hands down the most recognizable female superhero of them all.

Eat the Babies!

ManlyScream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ManlyScream

First of all its Brian Azzarello...come one and give the guy a chance, he deserves it! Second, if you are going to re-launch comics there should be some effing changes and with a character like Wonder Woman they need something to change to make her relevant again and possibly pull in some of these casual readers they seem to be targeting (at least initially). When i tell anyone about Wonder Woman's origin they laugh...this one makes sense and I think, naturally, new readers will accept it more...plus this is going to add so much to her character in terms of how it could open up a new type of tension between Zeus! I can see it now...Zeus versus Wonder Woman, Father vs. Daughter...sounds good to me...and add in a little Kratos anger and i'm hooked.

ManlyScream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By ManlyScream

@BradyDale: Exactly MR. Dale! Some of the best characters to read are ones that have had issues that could somewhat seem relevant to us, even though they are superheroes....creating a dynamic between a mother, father and Zeus' libertine ways sets up a perfect drama that will resonate with many of the fatherless families in today's age.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Or35ti

Does this mean she will have new powers as well? And, forgive me, but is Hippolyta still her mother?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By fodigg

I'm torn. I like the potential for drama but I think being of a race of all women was important. However, on my poll on the subject of who a WW father should be, the most interesting response I thought was by @Mutant God: who wanted to see Hercules. Considering he invaded and conquered the Amazons in the past, this leads to a lot of potential drama and a reason for Diana's people to see her differently. It would put a different spin on Aklyone's betrayal as she would view Diana as a "male presence" among the Amazons and her conception as Hippolyta betraying their pure heritage. The context of that conception would also need to be explained and have great potential for drama.

Alas, Zeus. Oh well. Much of the above could still be explored with Zeus.

Avatar image for xx2nite_alritexx
    xX2nite_alriteXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By xX2nite_alriteXx

I seriously think, if Diana had to have a father, that it should have been Hades; not only would it have been a nice nod to the JLU cartoon, but I think Azzarello would have written him better than he will Zeus. He could've played Hades up as one of his dark-gritty-noir characters he likes to write so much.

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By difficlus

@Neverpraying said:

Wonder Woman says MY PARENTS ARE GODS! While Bruce and Clark say our parents are dead :(

lol

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never been the biggest Wonder Woman fan, "Wonder Woman judges everbody" once said by Wally West and I always found it to be true. However, I think that this is a bold idea and that it goes along with the new direction DC's trying to take. I'm still not going to pick up the issue, but i'll do what I can to pay attention to any reviews on it to see how the series progresses.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#61  Edited By TheMess1428

So she is now related to Athena, Ares, Heracles, Hercules, Apollo, and Cassie Sandsmark... So yeah....

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#62  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

I don't think she needs a father figure. I don't see the point in that for any superhero...

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#63  Edited By jointron33

@Chibi-Iroh: she doesnt hate men

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#64  Edited By jointron33

@Vance Astro: the point is to have a patriarchal role model

Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Chibi-Iroh

I just want Diana to have a better view of men.

VioletPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By VioletPhoenix

@Neverpraying said:

Wonder Woman says MY PARENTS ARE GODS! While Bruce and Clark say our parents are dead :(

Jesus.

Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#67  Edited By Grubich

I thought hades was her dad?

VioletPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By VioletPhoenix

it'll definitely deepen her and give her more struggles, she'll be better off for it because she'll overcome this shizbomb DC dropped on her.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@jointron33 said:

I understand that but why does she need that? Isn't she an adult? Thus the name Wonder WOMAN? Wasn't she blessed with Athena's wisdom? Why would someone of her caliber need a role model? She's supposed to be the role model.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#70  Edited By Mercy_

@Grubich said:

I thought hades was her dad?

Only in the JL cartoon.

@Vance Astro said:

@jointron33 said:

I understand that but why does she need that? Isn't she an adult? Thus the name Wonder WOMAN? Wasn't she blessed with Athena's wisdom? Why would someone of her caliber need a role model? She's supposed to be the role model.

Give this man a medal.

star notes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By star notes

This is CHEAP cause seriously this has no originality at all its just copying the story of all the bastard children of Zeus, Zeus bangs a chick gets its pregnant Hera finds about the pregnancy and sends her on a rage to try and kill the child or curse the mother to be deformed or something horrible. WW having a powerful male figure on her origins strips her for what she stands for. This question her powers since demi-gods are not that powerful, does she still get her powers from athena and the other goddess that created the amazons along with hermes or she is just hercules with magical items. It does add to the drama but at the price of making it cliche. This is just a fan rage but I will give azzarello a chance if diana becomes Hercu-leah then goodbye WW.

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#72  Edited By CrimsonTempest
    @DMC said:

Who says she hates men? Sure since they're starting over she might start out way but having a dad like Zeus won't do much to help matters. He's the worst example. (giggidy giggidy)

Zeus: The Original Quagmire.
    star notes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By star notes

@jointron33 said:

Zeus is not a role model.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

What Wonder Woman NEEDS is a hobby and some better villains.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#75  Edited By The Impersonator

THEIR IDEA IS F*CKED UP!

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By XLR87T3

Wonder Woman punching Zeus?!? Ok, I might read it. But the changes take me by surprise. I mean, now she's one of probably a hundred offspring Zeus made, Hermes is ugly instead of sexy, and no one knows how she gets or has her god given abilities. And on top of that all, Zeus is a horrible father. I wish there could be a cameo appearance somewhere with Captain Marvel, maybe being discussed by the Greek Gods or something, because both WW and Cap were created by the gods.

Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#77  Edited By Maki_P

I dunno, I've always liked the clay story 'cause it makes her more unearthly, but I wouldn't mind Diana having a Father. Zeus however.... that's WAY too cliche, and kinda takes from her character; Diana is awesome because of the male parental figure and not her own accomplishments... okay, maybe I'm reading too many feminist blogs, but Zeus is still a cliche.

super_psycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By super_psycho

@Neverpraying said:

lol

BradyDale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By BradyDale

@AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge: Come on man... the cartoons aren't canonical.

Oh my God. I just wrote "canonical." Crap. Gotta quit reading Wikipedia.

Casshern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Casshern

I still don't see the problem here. BUT...

She'll have even more reasons to have unsuccessful relationships, seeing as her Dad likes sleeping around. Maybe she'll develop bad sleeping around traits like her fail Live-action counter part was written to do, EX: 3 relationships at once.

A sleeping around absent Father will open new doors in writing, BUT it may open nude doors in sleeping around one night stand story-lines too.

Zeus is to easy of a guess. Plenty of time to change it to ARES or HADES. This would make since to explain her strong violent desire to fight (not just the training) but it would be a betrayal of the training, if she's killing/fighting makes them stronger for darker seasons down the road.

EX_"Yes Wonder Woman! Yes!! Bring me more Souls!"

I can still understand and go with Zeus...it just too easy of a person to pick. It makes since, he's just the most obvious BIG PINK Mountain god in the room.

star notes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By star notes

@Vance Astro said:

@jointron33 said:

This is probably non-canon now.

ImRightUrWrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ImRightUrWrong

What has been done with Wonder Woman hasn't been working for years, if ever at all considering her highest sales seem to be from superstar creators rather than the character. If you don't want Wonder Woman canceled to solely live on as a marketing tool then radical changes are called for. At least we're getting well written ones!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#83  Edited By PowerHerc

Of course. A father makes all the difference.

Would anyone advocate that Superman not have a mother figure?

No, of course not. Both genders are influenced and even need each other to be well-rounded, well- adjusted people.

Wonder Woman having a father figure is natural. It makes sense.

NX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By NX

lol

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @PowerHerc said:

No, of course not. Both genders are influenced and even need each other to be well-rounded, well- adjusted people.

But does she NEED a father figure though? 
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#86  Edited By PowerHerc

@Vance Astro said:

@PowerHerc said:

But does she NEED a father figure though?

Yes.

That's why I answered 'Of course." in the above text.

Apis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#87  Edited By Apis

Does it really matter if her father was never part of her formative years? Personality wise Never Having a Father and Never Knowing Your Father are pretty much the same. I think having a father that she can be both conflicted about and have conflicts with; is a good idea.

SicKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By SicKid

Seriously? She used to fly around wearing the American flag as a pair of panties and laying waste to tanks and aliens on a daily basis, but being born out of clay is where you draw the line as something hard to wrap your head around?

Stronger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#89  Edited By Stronger

@Neverpraying said:

Lol

CodeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#90  Edited By CodeSaint

I didn't liked the idea,until I read issue 2.It seen well presented now for me.

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By JestersJoker

I do not get it. If Diana is not made of clay that would mean none of the Amazons are made of clay. That would mean reverting to Greek myth in which Hippolyta is the daughter of the war god Ares. That would make Zeus the grandfather of Hippolyta since Ares is the son of Zeus. This so wrong on so many levels. This rings too much of an incestuous relationship between a grandfather an his granddaughter. Plus when you consider Hercules is the son of Zeus had a relationship with Hippolyta. Just seems too sick and perverted. Dam that incestuous rapist Zeus. If anyone should be Diana's father it should be Hercules and "not" thru a rape. the story started with Hercules 9th labour. Hippolyta and Hercules made an agreement she would give Hercules her belt and he would get her pregnant with a female child. Then the goddess Hera screwed it up, That's Greek myth. You would think DC would want to make Wonder Woman more relatable to non-DC comic book readers for the purpose of making movies about her, because that is where the money is. But this makes Diana's birth look like the result of a incestuous affair. That is sick, perverted.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#92  Edited By Nasar7

@JestersJoker: The very origins of Greek myth are based on incest. Kronos killed his dad and slept with his sister, as did his son Zeus in turn. Nothing new here.

yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#93  Edited By yo_yo_fun

I don't really like Wonder Woman having a father. But then again, Zeus is not much of a father figure. He couldn't care less about this "children". He was not in her life while she grew up so it doesn't change who she is...until of course when she finds out she not only has a father but it's Zeus. I personally would be disgusted and embarrassed by it. But I do agree, it would make her story more interesting. Azzarello has done a great job so far. I've been loving #1 and 2 so I'm not going to be so doubtful...but still. I don't really like the idea..

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

no, a father figure is not necessary to any character but for the purposes of her story I much prefer the version of her being totally a product of an all woman, matriarchal society.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.