Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Should they drop her love interests?

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

none of them seem to stick nor are they really ever all that interesting. i like them well enough but they really take up narrative time if she isnt going to be in relationships with main characters(though now she's with Superman so thats a bit different than the minor characters im thinking of) or a side character that she's had a long history with maybe she should just always be single

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By FuzzyLittleRodent

*in a sassy black woman's voice* Wonder Woman is a strong independent woman that don't need no damn man *finger snap*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

just supes and bats, i´d like to see her with other men and æomen and in an on off relationship with steve

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

I don't really mind her being in a relationship but the moment it starts effecting her solo titles, I get a bit bumbed out because it should be centered around her not Wonder Woman and (insert name).

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To the fans it seems like no one is good enough for Wonder Woman to settle down with. I think the simple solution is to make her polyamorus then. It makes sense for a poly culture to develop on Themyscira, and it would be a nice homage to Marston.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#7  Edited By darkdetective27

Personally I think it makes sense for her to have love interests. Batman and Superman have numerous love interests why cant Wonder Woman.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never cared for Trevor, but I do dig the Supes/WW dynamic. At least in the first volume. They'll be dropping that soon, though so *shrugs*

Hawk80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trevor, not Trevor, a woman, nobody, who cares? As long as the romance doesn't leave the background of the story and is not with Superman...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: its not that she cant but i dont think she's ever had that love interest that people are super involved with like batman and superman. like steve never rose to catwoman/lois lane level as a romantic interest and most of the time even before they just stop writing him as a romance interest i didnt really like his character so i guess i just never cared for her in any of her relationships

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@hawk80 said: Trevor, not Trevor, a woman, nobody, who cares? As long as the romance doesn't leave the background of the story and is not with Superman...

^ This person speaks nothing but flawless logic. You should take notice @SaintWildcard

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By SaintWildcard

@blazingnova said:

@hawk80 said: Trevor, not Trevor, a woman, nobody, who cares? As long as the romance doesn't leave the background of the story and is not with Superman...

^ This person speaks nothing but flawless logic. You should take notice @SaintWildcard

QUIET YOU! SUPERMAN and WONDER WOMAN 5EVA!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: I give it a couple more issues before she slaps the kryptonite out of him.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: I give it a couple more issues before she slaps the kryptonite out of him.

Which would be a great thing, it means she loves him and doesn't want him to die. Cus you know, Kryptonite is bad. DO you even comics bruh?

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HumanRocket

@saintwildcard: do you even Superman? Pre 52>>>>> New 52. You worship the wrong version. SMH.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: do you even Superman? Pre 52>>>>> New 52. You worship the wrong version. SMH.

PRE 52 WAS A DEMENTED OLD MAN WHO WORE HIS UNDERWEAR ON THE OUTSIDE! New 52 is edgy and 3 cool 5 you. YOu don't get it you poser

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Pot calling kettle.

YOu stick to your Green Lantern Rip off , and I'll keep to my OG Grandfather to all superheroes.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HumanRocket

@saintwildcard: Lel..."original". Ever hear of Hercules ? Samson ? He may be the first superhero but he isn't as original as you may think.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Lel..."original". Ever hear of Hercules ? Samson ? He may be the first superhero but he isn't as original as you may think.

COULD HERCULES SEE THROUGH WALLS? FLY? RUN SUPER FAST? YOU KNOW NOTHING YOU FOOL!

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HumanRocket

@saintwildcard: Lel I know more about your favorite heroes creation that you do.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Lel I know more about your favorite heroes creation that you do.

I know about all that you dingus! Doens't change my facts you dingus!

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: of course you know about those, cause I just thought them to you (;

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why? She seems very happy with Clark.

Wonder Woman needs love just like any other person.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: That is true, but Lois or Catwoman have always been there. I think they ditched Steve in like in the 70s or 80s and just had her be alone because I think they didnt want their feminist character tied down by a man. The fact that when they adapt or try to Wonder Woman in other media they always try to inclide him shows that he is her big love intrest. Its just the comics ingore him or try to keep him away from her. I mean I might be wrong but in the past two decades have they ever had a steady romance. And if its the fact that audiances dont respond well to him why dont they try to tweak a few things about it its not like Lois was an oh so great love intrest in the silver age.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: That is true, but Lois or Catwoman have always been there. I think they ditched Steve in like in the 70s or 80s and just had her be alone because I think they didnt want their feminist character tied down by a man. The fact that when they adapt or try to Wonder Woman in other media they always try to inclide him shows that he is her big love intrest. Its just the comics ingore him or try to keep him away from her. I mean I might be wrong but in the past two decades have they ever had a steady romance. And if its the fact that audiances dont respond well to him why dont they try to tweak a few things about it its not like Lois was an oh so great love intrest in the silver age.

Post-Crisis Perez transformed Steve into a much older man and "big brother" figure ... he ended up marrying Etta Candy. But Perez was exploring Diana as a messiah type figure rather, not keeping her single for some kind of feminist agenda. Marston, a massive feminist, set her up with Steve because he also believed that love was a key component to his creation. But he always showed WW as the dominant person in the relationship, even when Diana Prince was shown as hopelessly in love with Steve, WW was less interested in him.

Avatar image for sohohibachiexpress123
    Sohohibachiexpress123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steve should be her love interest, end of discussion. He is the key to a stable supporting cast, something Diana has.......pretty much never had. She needs him just like Superman needs Lois. These are not just disposable plot elements, they are foundational character in the mythos' history, a mythos that in the case of WW has been very unstable. Removing Steve as the love interest was possibly the only mistake Perez made.

And this "its sexist for her to have a man" bullcrap makes me sick, just like sjw tumblr types. I hate you and you make sick! I hate your guts, you make me sick!

Truth_Teller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
    TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone who is cool and interesting, I personally have never like or really dug WW love interested. That includes Supes, that really just seems so dry, cliché and bland.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sohohibachiexpress123: It's less about her having a boyfriend but more that the boyfriend is literally the first guy she sees.

Avatar image for sohohibachiexpress123
    Sohohibachiexpress123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z: then develop it to where she doesn't automatically fall in love. Do you know how crappy most pre Crisis comics were? Doesn't mean the mythos has to stay bad

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By alsummers

@darkdetective27: To be honest though, I really like Steve as a possible romance option more than anyone else. Why? Because he's a secondary character, and I think in general it's odd to have a man be on the side-lines for most audiences. He's also weaker than Wonder Woman (but curiously doesn't care that he's weaker--talk about secure male ego) but still strong in terms of will. Problem is that writers do to Steve like they do with every other Wonder Woman side-character. They don't develop them. Even side characters need some development and I think that neglect is why her mythos isn't as long lasting or as iconic as Supes or Bats. It aint the characters' fault though, its the writers neglect. Writers for Wonder Woman needed to take a page from the Batman writers and write about her entire world, instead of just her. That way, if there's ever an arc that involves Steve, Donna, Etta, etc, the readers are still just as invested as if it were just Diana.

Plus in general I think a mortal male (or female) would interest her far more than another god-type being.Think about it. She's around gods and god-type women all the time on Themyschira. So meeting another god like being (read Superman) I feel should not wow her as much as an ordinary person with no powers but still fights their guts out for what they believe in (i.e Steve, Batman). At least I assume for Pre52 Diana. N52 Diana is just Justice League tail at this point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Who needs men when you have a Island with full of women who look alike modern models with few fabric on their body even thought they dont have to modern beauty product.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By darkdetective27

@alsummers: Yes, she needs a more developed cast of supporting characters.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dba458f4f4e8
    deactivated-5dba458f4f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She should stay with superman the comics have develop their relationship well.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I hate when any superhero dates other superheros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: really? sometimes i think it works (teen titans for example but its diff because their teens) and heroes end up being the ones with the most relationships with eachother and backstory that being in a romantic one seems (if its right and written well) like itd be better than having a side character romance(though i think a bit of polygamy when writing comic romances is better tbh)

I_Rock_Fiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By I_Rock_Fiction

Clearly most of you have never read into her romance with steve trevor. Not only is he the first person she marries in two diffrent arcs but also has a kid with. She also gives up her immortality to be with him and on another occasion goes to olympus to live with him forever. And as far as new 52 goes the superman/ww is just the dc writers fantasy. Steve was the first human man that she met and became her orginal connection humanity and mortals. She was put together with him for a reason. Shes a demi god and if greek mythology has told us anything its that gods always fall for mortals and love them more than their godlike counter parts.

But for those of you who disagree, truth is steves future in the new 52 is looking awfuly bleak. For those of you that read argus you know what im talking about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_rock_fiction: and how long ago was that when she did all this for him? because it certainly wasnt after perez rewrote him the way he did and paired him off with etta candy

I_Rock_Fiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By I_Rock_Fiction

@willienotwilliam: The golden age or after marstons death is were she sacrifices her immortality to be with steve although they kill him off afterwards only to bring him back again. Post crisis is where they move to olympus and also have their daughter in this time frame.http://heckyeahstevetrevor.tumblr.com/tagged/bronze%20age

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_rock_fiction: right so decades ago and he hasnt been written like that since. while they try to bring in a new love interest all the time to fill the void. even in the golden age though i didnt find steve an interesting love interest since he came off like a douche sometimes

I_Rock_Fiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willienotwilliam: steve was well written until marston died. After that the best ive seen is maybe season 11 comic of smallville its decent. They have fleshed out trevor to be more of a badass in 52 and if you havent read much of him in new 52 you should hes changed alot. But in argus which is basically his own series they kinda hint that they are going to kill him off. I wont spoil it for unless you ask lol.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@willienotwilliam: Yeah I much prefer when a writer fleshed out a heroes side cast an adds more normal characters to it rather than just stick them with other superheroes because it always seems like a gimmick. For example Spider-Man should date people like Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane and Betty Brant NOT Captain Marvel.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plenty of better things to be focusing on then her love life.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: idk i just guess i wouldnt want to put a limit on something like that. if it works for the character or book or if the writer is capable enough then i think its fine

I_Rock_Fiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: @willienotwilliam: like I've been saying steve is her only real romance. It could be developed into a great thing, if only the writers at dc werent having their fantasy pf the super/ww thing going on

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.